Cursed Princess - Prologue

by Kanome

Once upon a time, there lived a princess named Aleoa. She was known for her kindness and beauty through the lands of her kingdom. Her mother and father were the fair Queen and King of the land, Herom. Herom was rich in nature, fresh produce and cattle, the people fair and kind. The Kingdom of Herom lived in peace for many years. Princess Aleoa, the only child and daughter of the King and Queen, lived a happy and peaceful childhood. Until one day, around Aleoa’s sixth birthday, a woman, old and wise, came into the kingdom for shelter. As a gift for Aleoa, the old woman gave the kind princess a Blessing of Fortunes.

“Your child will receive great fortunes from the Gods.” The woman spoke, as she smiled at the King and Queen.

The King and Queen were very pleased with the old woman’s gift. A few nights later, misfortune came into the kingdom. Everything the princess touched, brought great mishap to the people and the kingdom itself. Aleoa, who was known for her kindness and beauty throughout the land, has become the “Cursed Princess”.

Now, locked away inside a tower in the kingdom, she is isolated to her lonesome. Her parents, who cared and loved her, were forced to not see their only child.

Princess Aleoa, once a great and kind princess of the kingdom, is now forever isolated in her own world inside the tallest tower of the Kingdom of Herom.

Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:54 am
Apricity wrote a review...

Heyo Kanome, Flite here for a review.

First of all, this is not by any means a prologue, you should read this article and gain a better understanding of what a prologue is and how it is used before sticking it before your a chapter. They're dangerous things. Anyways, moving on.

What was the point of this chapter? What are you trying to say, this is more like a plot summary or the start of a fairytale more than an actual chapter or even a prologue. The story opens in a fairytale atypical voice which instantly put me off because it's too mundane and too cliche. Moving onto the first paragraph, massive info dump on who Aleoa is and the kingdom she lives in but I gain nothing about her as a character or the context of this story. Then an old woman took shelter and for some reason, she blessed the princess even though the king did nothing other than offering her shelter.

The latter part of the story comes across as disjointed from the first, the consequences of the curse comes as somewhat abrupt and random. You didn't explain what happened after the curse and then jump directly to the results. And there are a lot of unanswered questions, what happened to her parents, why was she locked inside a tower, who locked her inside the tower? Is the princess brain dead, can't she find a place to run? What about her parents? Couldn't they help, there are better ways to deal with this than just locking her in a tower.

Another main problem is also the tone of your piece, it's entirely telling. Because of that, it's flat and lifeless, it's like reading nutritional facts off the side of a cereal box. This article will give you a basic run-down of how to do it. Show us, don't tell us that the man was a bastard, tell us that kicked a puppy. I also feel that this is once again, more of a plot summary than an actual chapter. This idea seems interesting though, so keep me updated shall you ever continue this.

Hope I helped.

-Flite

Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:28 am
donizback wrote a review...

Hi Kanome. I am here for a review. Everything I say here what I personally think could make the story (prologue) look better so you can ignore it if you want and take into account if it makes any sense.

Let's start with some small, tiny mistakes and then get on to the idea of making it better.

a woman, old and wise...

How about changing it to "A wise, old woman" or something like that! Using so many commas aren't really a good idea.

... from the Gods.

A basic misconception here. If you wanna capitalize the first letter of the word "God", you shouldn't use the plural form of it since there's only one God.
But, in many other religions like Hinduism, there are believed to be many many gods. So if you use the plural of "God", don't capitalize the "g" there - leave it as "gods". It's just something religious which can leave someone offended.

The idea of writing it is really good. I overall felt the lack of description but I wouldn't take that into account since it is a prologue.

To make it more fun, I'd suggest you to bring a prince of another land to help this child out, maybe. Or something magical would help the story. Please also put suspense and drama at the very end of every chapter you are gonna write. It will be really helpful and attracts to readers to read even further.

Well, I should stop now and I must admit that this is a really good idea and I hope you keep writing it. Good luck and never forget, you are great!

Believe that life is worth living and your belief will help create the fact.
— William James