Bombay My Blood

by Kammara14Mariyln

Prologue:

The thought that no one in the world can help you in your greatest need is melancholy. It's sad that you will not be able to get help, but it's better because it leaves the possibility that someone would if they could. The thought that no one could help you or cared is so terrible that it makes you want to die inside, unless you already are, and then there's no reason to wish for it. My situation could be described as both. My parents and my brother want to help so badly that this whole story is carried on by them, but they can't. No one in the world is going to help me. It would take too much time, and anyway, I'm just one girl. No one's going to cry for a stranger. Over spilled blood eh?

Chapter 1:

"It's a very nice day out Balie; how about you go outside and rest out there," my mother called to me. At the moment I was sitting on my bed, the heavy canopy around the four poster drawn to block me from the rest of the world. Hurriedly I hid my song book. The one I wrote all my lyrics in. Mom doesn't know that I can sing, and well too, she doesn't even know that I could be a writer if I tried. There's a lot of stuff my mom doesn't know, but she's always worried enough about me that I don't want to add anything else. Swinging my legs out from under me caused my to sway light-headed. A little too fast. Peeking out from under my canopy, I looked for my mom, seeing she wasn't there, I shoved my song-book under the bed, and walked to the kitchen. My house was really big, not to be boasting, but when you're locked up in it all day it seems a pretty big place to be. My mom only let's me travel the floor level though because I might hurt myself trying to go up or down the stairs, or if there's a fire I could get stuck inside. She's such a worry-wart, but I loved her. I sat down gracefully on one of the chairs in the kitchen. Everything was the best at our house. If we could of had LA-Z boy recliners at the table my mom would get them. The counter was a special marble or something that sat on the wall towards the back of the house. Clear glass cabinets, and a stove on the counter, all the "harmful" appliances on one counter, a counter I was basically forbidden to come within a inch of. Two tables, small ones with black table tops, were pressed together with stools. The stools were black and always cold, they backs extremely comfortable. I sat in one of the five chairs, though only four, every blue moon, lived and ate here.

"Balie, go outside and rest for a little while.Though I want want you in to help with dinner." Yeah right, my mom would never let me help with dinner. She just didn't want me to stay outside to long so I wouldn't get "HURT". I'll admit it, I was a little weak. It may have something to do with my mothers over pampering, but I don't say anything. Carefully, because I'm seriously clumsy, I walked out of the kitchen to the front room. The room where Dustin, my older brother puts all of his nasty shoes and sports equipment. We call it the front room, but really it goes to the backyard. I pushed hard to open the screen doors with my weak arms. Finally I got outside. The backyard had a nice wooden patio about a foot or two off the ground. the lawn was always well trimmed, the trees and bushes manicured. Instead of sitting like usual on the chair/swing, I stood by the railing. Mom was right, It was a very beautiful day. The wind was just perfect, not too much, but enough to make the hot weather bearable. I tried thinking of something to do that didn't involve sitting, but there was nothing fun I could think of.

I was home schooled. Or really, home lived. I spent almost every day of my life at home. except if one of mom's friends invited me over. I never go to stores, birthday parties, not like I have friends, parks or concerts, or anything like that. I live an overly sheltered life. My dear mother likes it that way. I'm rarely ever sick, and if I am it's only weakly. My mother makes sure the house is always sterile. I don't get it, my brother gets to go to school and everything. Maybe a little bit more prohibited than others, but he still goes to school and has fun and friends. My mother said it's because I was a preemie, and expected to die when I was born. Apparently my mom was really worked up about it, and wants to keep me safe all the time. Something sweet like that. I don't want to be mean, but I'm pretty sure I could last at school if she just gave me the chance. Though she won't, ever I don't think. Then there's dad. Good old dad, goes with whatever you say because he doesn't know or care enough to make the right decisions. At least in our life. At work he's a legend. The most perfect boss ever, making enough money to fund our expensive lifestyle. But not enough to fund his interest in his kids, I though bitterly. Did that matter though? I didn't have a school play for him to show up for, or games to cheer at, my life wasn't exiting enough for him to pay attention to me.

Feeling bitter and hot, I turned to sit down. I felt a little weak in the knees and the chair was welcome. I"m just too weak to be my daddy's girl anyway. I felt like grimacing, but mom said that was bad for the face. Did I want to be too ugly for him too? Maybe if I made my life more exciting. Had something to tell him when he got home...I thought about it. What would my mom let me do that would interest him? Nothing, that's what I came up with. Maybe that would make it better. If I took a step out of my mom's ove-rprotectiveness and did something daring for once. Growing a backbone! (or something like that I heard from on T.V). I tried to creep inside my house, luckily nothing was creaky, everything brand-new. Soon I was in my brother's stuff, looking around for...YES! A soccer ball. I could try kicking that around, what if I had a talent for it! Then my mom would have to let me do it!!!

I brought the ball outside and climbed down from the porch. I placed it on the ground. Never playing a sport before made me nervous. All I had to do was kick the ball, how hard could that be? I picked my left foot up and slowly lowered to the ground and tapped the ball. It moved about a Milli-inch. Not hard at all! I kicked it harder and faster this time. Watching it zoom across the yard was satisfying. I walked up to it again. "Hi-Ya!" I whispered, just for fun like I saw in those Ninja movies. The ball soared away again. What was the point though, I was getting tired. Just kicking it? No, in games they...I racked by brain for information. Oh yeah, they tried to get it past the goalie into, like, a basket, no goal or something. That's what I would do! I pictured a guy blocking a net across the lawn once I'd gotten to the ball. I positioned my foot, then stopped. What if I did it while running, that would definitely make a good story. I mean, I could do it while standing, but even Dustin would laugh at me for that. I kicked the ball a little forward, than charged after it. Well charged wouldn't be the word. More like stumbled fast after it. I managed to pound around a sharp stone in the yard, that would've hurt. Come on! I told myself. I neared the ball, then lifted my foot, but I was too off balance, that's when the world went into slow motion.

As I lifted my foot, the other mixed up, and I lost the beat of my running. I tried to kick the ball that wasn't there, and messed with my balance. My ankle twisted, and I felt my body folding. I let my foot drop behind me, trying in vain to get my balance. I'd never ran before, I didn't know how to stop myself. As far back as I could remember, I always walked, running took too much energy and made me feel light headed. Stupid, stupid, stupid! I fell like a sack of potatoes. My leg folding hurtfully under me. I felt the sensation of floating for a moment, then I felt a sharp pain in the back of my head. The rock I'd side-stepped! The one that made me loose my balance. Oops...and that's the last though I had.

OOC>Comments welcome. More Chapters to come.

WritingWords wrote a review...

Okay, the review you asked for is here. I think it has a good plot but you're dragging the main points too far. I don't like how the voice is like the person's thinking. Like this part:

No, in games they...I racked by brain for information. Oh yeah, they tried to get it past the goalie into, like, a basket, no goal or something. That's what I would do! I pictured a guy blocking a net across the lawn once I'd gotten to the ball. I positioned my foot, then stopped.

And, this:
Growing a backbone! (or something like that I heard from on T.V). I tried to creep inside my house, luckily nothing was creaky, everything brand-new. Soon I was in my brother's stuff, looking around for...YES! A soccer ball. I could try kicking that around, what if I had a talent for it! Then my mom would have to let me do it!!!

These two quotes both have similar problems. It is hard for the reader to follow the person's train of thought. I mean, you can do it once to show that the character has a mind that is easily distracted. But more than once? That becomes frustrating.
You should also flesh out the character more. What does she look like? What does her family look like? What does her home look like? What does the sound of her mother's voice sound like. Every time I read something like that, my mind has a blank space.
Shorter paragraphs. When I first looked at this, I didn't really want to read it. That's because it seems so long to read chunks of words. Make those huge blocks of words into smaller chunks, and it will seem more inviting.
Lastly, spelling and grammar mistakes.
My mom only #8000FF ">let's me travel the floor level though because I might hurt myself trying to go up or down the stairs, or if there's a fire I could get stuck inside.

Balie, go outside and rest for a little while.Though I #4000FF ">want want you in to help with dinner."

Capitalize the "d" in Dad,too.
Overall, this story has a good plot, but you need to improve your writing skills. Pm me when you have updates!

Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:08 am

Prologue:

The thought that no one in the world can help you, in your greatest need is a great melancholy. It's sad that you will not be able to get any help, but it's better because it leaves the possibility that someone would if they could. The thought that no one could help you or cared is so terrible that it makes you want to die inside, unless you already are, and then there's no reason to wish for it. My situation could be described as both. My parents and my brother want to help me so badly that this whole story is carried on by them, but they can't. No one in the world is going to help me. It would take too much time, and anyway, I'm just one girl. No one's going to cry for a stranger. Over spilled blood, eh?

Revised Prologue:

The thought that no one in the world can help you in a life or death situation, is a great melancholy. You need the help, need it so bad. Your life is depending on it, literally. A sick joke. It's sad that you can't get help, that you're failing, but it is better because you might cling the impossibility that some human creature might actually want to help you. I'd scoff at that. My opinion on the world is dismal at best. Lately I like to pretend that this is all a dream and I'll wake up and realize that my thoughts are wrong, mistaken. But no, it's too late. I've seen the truth and it laughs in my face. On my "trip" through the valley of death I've learned a lot. Too bad no one cared to tell me that death alone waits at the end. No one helps a stranger, so no one will cry over one. No one weeps over spilled blood...not even mine.

Yes, I did write the prologue in a weird way. I want to make it mysterious and vague. Something that readers will get once they've read the book. Thanks for helping. After reading it over I felt like laughing, that wasn't how it was supposed to sound at all! The prologue comes back into the book later on as a diary entry. Wait, I'm not supposed to tell you everything. I have to write it first. :xd: :D Which apparently is the hard part. Thanks for editing it.

MiaParamore wrote a review...

Prologue:

The thought that no one in the world can help you in your greatest need is #00BF00 ">a great melancholy. It's sad that you will not be able to get #00BF00 ">any help, but it's better because it leaves the possibility that someone would if they could. The thought that no one could help you or cared is so terrible that it makes you want to die inside, unless you already are, and then there's no reason to wish for it. My situation could be described as both. My parents and my brother want to help #00BF00 ">me so badly that this whole story is carried on by them, but they can't. No one in the world is going to help me. It would take too much time, and anyway, I'm just one girl. No one's going to cry for a stranger. Over spilled blood#00BF00 ">, eh?

Hi there. Sorry for the delay. I thought I would do a quick prologue editing and reviewing. There wasn't much in this to like or hate but the way you write this is bit odd and you can express the feeling more. The pain she feels from inside, the situation she feels herself in etc. So just correct the mistakes, there weren't many though but just some words which, if put can make this more lucid and clear. Hope this helped! I would definitely do the chapter-1. I think it will b a great read ahead.
~Shubhi

Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:46 am

Chapter 3:

When I woke up from my sleep I immediately knew something had gone wrong. Very wrong. My head hurt like a bulldozer was playing with it, I was incredibly cold and wanted another blanket (those rinky-dink hospital sheets weren't good enough), and I felt like I was going to empty my stomach of everything, even itself. As I opened my eyes, I was again greeted by the bright hospital lights, but my throat wasn't too scratchy. "Mom," I called out. Of course she was faithfully there, sitting, or standing, by my bedside. "Balie! Oh, Balie!!" why did this seem like a rerun. "We don't know what's wrong with you, but you've," she paused thinking, "taken a bad reation to the blood. But it was mine...I don't know what happened." she finished dejectedly. At this point, I didn't care for the explanation, I wanted help. "Mom," I whimpered. She closed her eyes, my pain was hurting her, and I didn't want to do that right? I had to toughen up for her, for Dustin, and for dad. Yes, I still clung to the idea that dad loved me. He was just late, bad timing, he would be coming in any minute now.

"Balie, I'm sorry this is all my fault, you're in pain, I--" my mom looked like she was about to cry. Oh no! I never wanted to make her cry, it was painful enough seeing how hard she was taking all of this. She just found out I had a life-threatening disease, and the blood that was supposed to save my life wasn't the right kind. Of course she was taking it hard. "Mom, I'm," I couldn't let myself say fine, "okay." Yes, I realize this is a lie, a down right lie, but it's what my mom needed to hear. She needed to bring it together. My moment of weakness had to stop. Well, not physically, but mentally, for her and for Dustin, and for...no I couldn't think about it right now. "Ba lie honey, the doctor's coming." I nodded, but this brought the streaks of pain that felt like swords in my head. "Oh Balie, this is all--" I tried to stop her, she couldn't put herself in that pit of self-pity again. My whole life it seemed she was always ankle-deep in it, but now she was wading in below the waist, I couldn't let her get swallowed up. Where was this courage coming from? A second ago I was ready to cry, and now I was...did it matter? By nature I was not a brave person, when you live your life when other people do everything for you, it makes you spoiled and cowardly.

"Ms." The doctor had arrived, with some nurses. "I"m sorry it took so long." The team rushed to my side with instruments of mass healing, (I hoped). "It appears we somehow gave her the wrong blood, but luckily it was only a small dose, it won't be immediately fatal. She has developed a fever and I think she may be having a hemolytic reaction. If this is the case, we better have a blood transfusion on hand," this made absolute no sense to me, and the nurses or whatever were freaking my out. their hands were all over me, and I felt nauseous. "Her body is reacting to the bad blood by destroying the blood cells, but since she already has so few red blood cells..." his voice trailed off. I didn't fully get the effects of what he was saying, but I could understand this: A loss of many blood cells that I couldn't replace, no one knew my blood type, I could die. That's when I realized the full extant of the situation. I could die. Right now, five minutes later. I didn't have enough blood. I COULD DIE. Of course when I realized that two things happened. I puked, like a really nasty empty out everything in your stomach puke. I keeled over the side of the mattress, green junk splaying everywhere. Though the worst part by far was that there were streams of red in it. Which brings me to the next event: I went into shock. Seeing all that nastiness, but most importantly my blood on the floor just made it click. I could die slowly and painfully, wasting away while my whole family watched. This was not a pleasant thought. I guess everyone else noticed this too, because the nurses rushed around me, wiping up the mess and shoving a garbage can under me. The doctor was shouting orders, but I didn't hear them, I was still in my own world, where my own body was betraying me, killing me. Dry heaves (after a few very full exits) scratched my throat. blood may have trickled out, or that was just my imagination, but it felt like I was emptying myself of...myself. Suddenly my mom pulled me back into the bed, she looked hysteric, and I realized she was screaming at me, but I couldn't hear her, I couldn't hear anything.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Honestly, I didn't know the moment i really woke up, it seemed like I was in reality, but stuck with half my brain in the oblivion where I've fled to so many times. This time was different though, I couldn't open my eyes, I couldn't make any part of me move, I could just faintly listen to what was happening around me.
"Ms; we've successfully put your daughter under, and she'll stay that way until we can fully understand the situation, or she's over her reaction. We don't want to cause her anymore pain," silence, I wanted to speak. "I wasn't under! I'm right here, listening to you!" but no words would come, so I would just had to settle for listening. Until that was taken away and I could drift into oblivion again.
"Ms. I know this news is hard to receive, but believe me, it's hard to give. Your daughter has Anemia, and a serious wound that doesn't want to close causing blood loss, on top of that her own blood cells are destroying each other, and she can't make enough of them to replenish the ones she's getting rid of. But the worse news, the worst thing that makes the rest impossible, is that she has Bombay Blood. It's a blood type, the rarest blood type in the world. Only three or so people have confirmed blood types of Bombay blood. We don't know how she has it, maybe if we saw her family tree? But the reason isn't important, it's the effect. Because of this," the doctor stopped, and I think I heard sniffling, but I couldn't tell from whom, "your daughter will not survive the year if she does not find someone with her blood type." If I could've gasped, I would've, or cried out, but I was still frozen. 'your daughter will not survive the year... It was true, I was going to die. No! I wanted to yell. Not yet, I have so much I need to do! Want to do, I can't die this young! Who will Dustin tease? Who will write secret songs, who will pin funny messages on the 'figerator so the family laughs? Who will make mom laugh 'til she cries when dad doesn't come home at night? Who will be Balie Mcneer? How could I die? I'd say the walls were closing in, but my world was only darkness.

OOC> I love that part at the end, I almost teared up a little.
Sorry I had to edit it, forgot> :thud: :smt005

Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:14 pm

Chapter 2:

The feeling of floating gradually left me til' I felt like a 100-pound weight was anchoring me to the ground. Though I don't know if that was a dream or if I was awake, it seemed like the waking and living world blurred for what seemed like an eternity. My mom's face frequently drifted into my reality (or dreams) along with my brother's, but never my father's. Could that be a good sign? The person I was trying to impress didn't notice me? No that couldn't be it, this was all a stupid dream, and I would wake any minute to my mom calling me inside for dinner.

A blinding light flared against my eyes, and that's when I fully awoke. My eyelids and lashes felt gritty and gross. Though when I opened my eyes, I don't know if I was dreaming or not. The bright light was the only thing I could see. Did that mean I had died. It couldn't have, I had just...I didn't know I couldn't remember. "Doctor! Doctor, oh! come quick!" I heard my mother's voice, but it was freakishly loud, I wanted to cover my ears, but I felt immobile. "Honey? Oh Balie! Balie, I'm so sorry, what were you doing? No, that doesn't matter, it was my fault for letting you out that long. I should have been watching! This is all my fault. Balie--" "Ms. your just going to frighten Ms.Balie. She just woke up, calm down," a soothing voice entered this nightmare. What was my mom talking about. That--I couldn't think of words--was just a dream, I was fine, lying in my bed. Nothing was wrong with me. "Oh Balie" my mom whimpered. "Ms. I believe your daughter needs to calm down, her heart rate has gone up considerably," the setting around me was starting to materialize. I was in a hospital, which meant something had gone seriously wrong. My mom only let me see private physicians, saying that hospitals made it worse, and who wanted to be around a bunch of sick people, it was depressing. Though here I was, laying in a hospital bed all the same. "Ms. Balie, are you fully with us?" the doctor asked. I couldn't reply for the moment, frozen in--shock. Then I realized he was talking to me, and I nodded my head. That sent electric waves of pain to me, and I flinched.

"Ms.Balie, you have Anemia. Do you know what that means," I stayed still, unsure if he really meant for me to answer, " It's a disease," apparently not, "a disease having to deal with a person's blood. There are many science words I could explain to you with, but you wouldn't understand," at least the doctor was nice. He didn't say it in a condescending way, he just knew I would get it in plain English. "It means you don't have enough red blood cells. It causes fainting," I did that occasionally when I was really tired out, " shortness of breath," I never ran because it was hard to breathe, "Dizziness," I didn't know about that one, "Fatigue," I always was tired, even when I didn't exert myself, "and pale skin," no-brain-er for that one, "and your mother has informed me, along with our own tests, you have most of the symptoms. Usually Anemia is easy to treat, but for some reason, yours proved difficult. That may be due to the private help," at this point my mom sniveled again, "but it is very hard for us to stop the bleeding of the back of your head. It's been stopped for now, but you may be facing a hard life Ms. Balie." he stopped with that, like he could only give too much life-changing news in an hour. I had Anemia. Whatever that meant. Something was wrong with me, (though anyone could see that if they looked hard enough) and it was dangerous. They couldn't stop the bleeding from my--incident(I didn't even want to think about it)-- and my mom had to get serious medical help. My life had been in danger, I realized. Wow, that really made you think. I could have died. So where was father? The thought jumped on me, I hadn't really been thinking about that, but now that it occurred to me, I couldn't make it go away. My dad didn't show up, and I could've been on my death bed. That was heartless.

The feeling of wanting to shake myself arose. Just shake myself free of those thoughts. My father loved me. He always had, even if he didn't show up alot, or tell me it. I recalled a scene when I was younger. My mom and I were on the bottom of the staircase, an I was crying...:

"Mommy! It hurts," I had cried. "I know dear, just hold still," my mom said. She was putting a bandage my leg. There were bruises next to it. "What were you thinking Balie?" she murmured. My mom was addressing the fact that I had run down the stairs. That may seem normal to any other child, but it was off-limits for me. The result of me tipping and falling down the steps were several bruises, and cuts. "I wanted Daddy to help me," I replied. "He's never around, I thought he would come home and put the bandages on." I whispered. At the time, I didn't want my mom to know that I felt unloved. It would make her feel bad, like she wasn't doing enough. But we all knew she was doing almost too much, it was my dad's fault, though everyone managed to avoid the topic. My mom stopped for a second, and looked into my eyes, while I looked into her big brown ones. I could almost see pain there, and the beginning of tears, then she looked away. "Balie, your father loves you very much. He's just a very important person, and everyone else wants a part of him too. We just have to," she stopped and I didn't think she would start again, but she did, "be patient, and hope there done with him soon. He loves you, I know he loves you Balie. As he loves your brother, and me. He just has a...cute," it seemed like she choked on the word," way of showing it." She stood up, brushed herself off, and picked me up. "Just promise me you won't do anything like that again? Okay?" Not wanting to upset her, I promised.

I had totally forgotten my promise, but it didn't matter, it was already broken. "Ms. Balie?" the doctor asked. I looked up at him. He was in his late twenties with soft brown hair and amber eyes. His face was weathered looking, but still kind of soft. "Yes," I croaked. It felt like gurgling nails, but it felt good to get a word out. "This disease isn't a death sentence," the doctor said, "You would just have to take regular blood transfusions. You lost a lot of blood, and if you don't replenish some you could die," he stopped, then started to backtrack,"but don't worry, we have plenty of blood here, it should be easy." If it was so easy, why was I still here, in pain? " How soon doctor?" My mom spoke up. "Oh, the room is ready, she can come right now." My mom looked at me, and I could tell she wanted to talk to me, but my health was more important to her. "Now would be good," she said. The doctor nodded, and took our a walkie talkie looking thing. While the doctor talked I looked to my mom. She was staring away. I wondered what a blood transfusion would include? "Mom," I croaked, "will there be needles?" I was deathly afraid of needles. Whenever I got shots, I squirmed around until the doctor either gave up or got so frustrated he asked if they could put me under. My mother always said yes, and you could say that was cowardly for me, and for her, but that's how we did it.

Nodding, my mom looked to the doctor, after he finished speaking she asked him, "Could you possibly put her under for the operation?" The doctor looked confused, and it made my cheeks flush, "Why? There would be no need--" "She's...," my mother struggled to find a reason but apparently couldn't think of one, "is really afraid of needles, and squirms alot. She might hurt herself." The doctor looked put-off, but slowly nodded his head. I let out a breath, and least it would be painless. "Her room is ready, so I'll just..."his voice drew out, and he reached for something behind me. "I love you," my mom whispered to me. "I love you too mom," I whispered scratchily back. Then I drifted to oblivion, the last thought to be: and dad.

Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:05 pm

The book is rated E for everyone. It might end up taking place on India a little, but it starts out in America. I'd tell you the whole plot, but not on the forum to spoil it or anything. But thanks for checking it out! (and moving it, I can't read...lol joke)

Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:29 am
MiaParamore says...

Can you rate it? I mean people of which age can read it? I am from India so would love to read anything on India.

Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:51 am
PenguinAttack says...

Moved to General Fiction Novels.

you should no this
— Hijinks