Worlds Apart Prologue

by Kakali

First update- 1/21/2013

In a distant future, everyone has the opportunity to be able to do amazing things by choosing to have enhancements made to their bodies. There are many types procedures that can be done, giving all sorts of abilities to different people. A little over half of the population has been transformed in some way. The era has come to be called a time of "extremists", pushing their bodies to limits that could never have been reached in the years before, using their minds in ways never thought possible to normal mankind. But this doesn't mean that everything is perfect in the world.

The world governments have been split into two major factions. Most of the world supports the side that continues to make advancements in the procedures. Of course, not everyone agrees with changing the human body so drastically. These people are part of an alliance that believes that after getting the operation, it begins to break down the body, and only those who haven't “contaminated” themselves will be left to inhabit the Earth. The conflicting sides are continually at war with each other, throwing millions of people against each other.

But, the endless possibilities that can result from human enhancement continually draws people to get the operation done. This tips the balance of power in favor of the “new humankind”. This balance is fragile though, and there are dark secrets being held from both sides that can easily change everyone's lives.

Far from the reach of both sides, though, one person lives different from all the others. He advances himself by being in tune with nature rather than forcing it upon himself. Growing up to be able to do incredible feats, without any unnatural changes. His existence remains unknown to the world, but not for long.

Lycando wrote a review...

Hey there!

It's review day! I'm a little worn out but seeing as this is a prologue I shall do my best. Note that this may not be much of an in depth critique but I'll try!

I'm personally a fan of science fiction stories, especially futuristic ones. Your type of story just gets me hooked and I'm all like "I want to keep reading this".

What is essentially here is the introduction of these two different groups and their viewpoints on human enhancements. We've seen many stories like this, and as cliche as the starting may seem, the actual plot might turn out to be quite original, depending on how you develop it. What I can see from here though is the cliche part, no doubt though it keeps me hooked.

I'm seeing this as a story that will further develop from this special individual and how he is different from the others. I'm rather pleased that you didn't reveal too much about him here, since it's only the prologue. However what could have been improved on was the back story. Sure you give a pretty good explanation of what the situation is, but what are the actual problems that both sides are experiencing. You say they fight, but is it an actual war or just prejudice against each other. Somehow I feel that letting these details for a prologue is pretty essential, since you won't want to throw in random bits of information during the future chapters.

Overall a good start to the novel, and I hope the further chapters will entice me just as much! Hope my review, even though it wasn't much, did help!

Kakali says...

Thank you! You gave a good review! :)

Imaginator17 wrote a review...

Hi Kakali!

I don't review much so... Yeah

I read through your prologue and one thing i really liked was the idea! I am a huge! Sci-Fi fan and i'm writing one myself.

Although i felt as if the prologue was rushed, it was too short, but in that time you did manage to tell the outline of the story, which prologues are for so i think you did that well.

Not many mistakes i see here, but i think you could of made the prologue longer that way the readers would know more specifically were and when the story is taking place. You should say those type of things in your prologue, because i don't know what country it's in or what year. I'm guessing it's in the future because Sci-Fi stories are normally based around that time haha. But it's just for the readers that don't know

Also i would've liked to know who the protaganist was.

Besides that, i really like the idea that you've got!

Please keep me notified

God bless, and see ya around!

Nator/Gin/Ima/16

Kakali says...

Since your the second person who has said it needs to be longer I guess I will make it so! Thank you much!

blakey789 wrote a review...

The first line seemed to be tempting but thanx, I would personally be as I am.
On a serious note, the first para seemed to define the very basic line of the future and the things which could be expected in the story.
The second para, mentions the cons and pros together as it tells us the type of government. It does break the dear image of seeing oneself super hero like when it is mentioned that

These people are part of an alliance that believes that after getting the operation, it begins to break down the body, and only those who haven't “contaminated” themselves will be left to inhabit the Earth. The conflicting sides are continually at war with each other, throwing millions of people against each other.

It clearly tells how the people are still at war which is a natural thing.
The prologue is great, if only it would have been longer, I'd have loved it more.
And I think it really needed more length, for it is setting a informative platform for the readers, so for me, it lacked that bit of fullness.
Still, it's your call, if it goes well for your story, then great.
Hope my review helped!
:) Regards,
blakey789

Kakali says...

Longer. Got it! Thans so much, your awesome!

Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:09 am
queenofscience says...

Woah, this sounds very cool. I love sci-fic stories about things like this.

Kakali says...

AHHHH! I love you for saying it sounds cool! I thought so too! :D

Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:16 am
Panikos wrote a review...

Hey, Kakali. :)
So, this is a steady, promising start to your story. I'm pretty intrigued, if I'm honest, and I like the development of the idea at hand. This proposition of 'enhancement' is rather interesting, and I want to know more about it. What does it entail? Why is it so longed for? Why does it have such a divide between support and hatred? I'm sure I'll find out.
I spotted no grammatical or punctuation errors, which is good. Generally, this piece is pretty strong.
Nevertheless, it isn't perfect. I'm going to be picky now.

Firstly:

In a distant future, everyone has the opportunity to enhance their bodies to be able to do amazing things. A person can choose to have enhancements made to themselves in two areas; body and mind. There are many types procedures that can be done, giving people different abilities. When a person turns eighteen years of age they can legally get the operation done, for a price. Those who can not afford the surgery often get it done illegally. A little over half of the population has been transformed in some way.

I have two problems with this opening. One is simply your sentence structure - there isn't much variation. When I read it, it sounds listed - it doesn't seem to take on a tone in my mind. If you adjust it slightly, both lengthening and shortening different sentences where you deem appropriate, I think the words will come alive a bit more, and it'll be far more comfortable to read.
My second problem is with information overload. Yes, the issue is interesting, yes, there's clearly lots to explain, but I think you could do with being a bit more vague. I think you need to ease your reader into the story more. You can still talk about the procedure, but try and omit certain details (like how you can get the operation done at eighteen, or how it's sometimes done illegally) so that only the bare bones of the idea are mentioned - that would be more effective. You can tell us the details later, because at the moment it feels like I'm being bombarded with facts. Let the idea grow with the rest of the story.

This disagreement has caused many arguments and wars.

I don't know what it is about this sentence. It's communicating some vital information, but it doesn't feel quite...right. I think it's a bit too brief. I personally think that mentioning something as dramatic and life-changing as war isn't something you can do in one sentence. Maybe try rephrasing it, or expanding on it slightly?

But both groups have dark secrets being held from them.

This statement, definitely, feels too blunt. Try and rephrase it in a more subtle, mysterious way, or otherwise just cut it out. It's not vital to the paragraph.

That's it. I hope this review made some sort of sense - I can't always convey what I mean. I know I was rather picky, but I think I needed to be; the piece is generally so sturdy that I needed to look deep into the writing to find any faults. Nevertheless, it's good. Keep writing - I want to know more. ;)

~Dark

Kakali says...

Thanks! And don't worry, compared to most people, yuou weren't picky at all. This really helped me, and I appreciate it greatly!

coffee and writing is a superior duo
— LadyBug