z

Young Writers Society


16+

I Knew Chapter 2

by Kaia


Warning: This work has been rated 16+.

Chapter 2 Voices

Jed’s eyes flashed from Kassie to the road. A black sedan had crossed the yellow line and was headed straight for the pickup. Kassie screamed as Jed braked and swerved to the left to avoid the collision. His eyes flashed in an anxious glance over his shoulder just as the taillights of the other vehicle disappeared down the side of the slope. A heavy crash from over the ridge split the silence as Jed stopped the vehicle safely on the other side of the road. Kassie gasped, her fingers reaching up to the window beside her. Roughly, Jed switched gears to park and shoved open the driver’s door. A persistent knocking instantly exploded the silence, warning him that the keys were still in the ignition.

Kassie's wide eyes swept up to Jed as he gazed over the top of the vehicle. Her trembling fingers slid into her backpack, and she pulled out her phone. Jed stared blankly into the darkness across the road. The eager chirping of the frogs in the ditch beside the pickup became distinguishable in the silence as he searched the road for a sign of the vehicle. He shook his head as he slid back into the driver's seat.

His eyes met Kassie's as she lifted her phone to her ear. Her gaze lowered as she bit the edge of her thumbnail. “Yes...There—there’s a black sedan that just d-drove off the ridge,” Kassie mumbled in a shaky voice. Uneasily, she grasped the soda can in the cupholder, crinkling it loudly in the still air as she crushed it between her fingers.

Jed turned away and pulled the keys from the ignition. The quiet charming ceased, and the unsettling monotone of the nighttime insects grew louder. Jed's gaze rose to the windshield, and he stared out at the bugs zipping in and out of the headlights in front of him.

“I—I’m not sure,” Kassie admitted in a weak tone. She cast Jed a nervous glance, tightening her grasp on the soda can and causing the sides to dent sharply inward.

“Yes, yes that’s right.” Kassie’s voice grew stronger as she spoke. She swallowed uneasily and listened breathlessly to the voice on the other end of the line. After a few minutes, Kassie lowered her phone. She exhaled a deep sigh and forced a difficult swallow, her eyes moving subconsciously in the direction the other vehicle had disappeared in.

Jed turned to face her. “You okay?” he asked gently as he watched her eyes nervously scan the side of the hill.

Kassie nodded. Quietly, she released the partly crushed soda can and used her trembling fingers to smooth a strand of her hair. She drew out a forced breath and straightened her posture.

Jed cast the open door beside him a glance. His eyes rose. "I'm going to have a look down there. You want to come?"

Kassie frowned, her worried brown eyes lifting uneasily to her cousin's face. She shook her head.

Jed nodded. Shoving the door open a little wider, he slid out onto the gravel and lifted his phone. Kassie's gaze drifted to the other side of the road. Nervously, she lifted a finger and pulled a strand of her hair behind her ear. The soda can still sitting in the cupholder suddenly snapped back into its cylindrical form. Kassie startled at the sound, and her eyes shot toward the can.

Jed turned on his phone's flashlight, his eyes lifting again to his cousin's face. "You sure you don't want to come?" he asked, lifting the light beam and casting it on his cousin.

Kassie reached across herself, and Jed heard the seatbelt click free. "I'll come."

Jed nodded. He stepped back and let the door to the pickup slide shut. Stepping in front of the glowing headlights, he reached the road and began to cross it. Distantly, he heard the passenger’s door open behind him. He paused and shot a glance over his shoulder as his cousin jumped down from the pickup. Jed turned around and crossed the road. He halted at the edge of the gravel on the other side and glanced down the ridge.

A single beam of light pierced the darkness from an unbroken headlight at the side of the slope, guiding Jed's eyes to the scene of the accident. The sedan had collided into a tree. The right side of it had disappeared into a mass of warped metal. The other side stood unharmed.

A second beam of light joined Jed's at the edge of the forest as Kassie stepped up to her cousin's side. Jed made a faint gesture toward the wrecked vehicle. Faintly, he felt his cousin's fingers wrap around his arm. Jed turned to face his cousin. "I'm going to go down there...see if there're any survivors," he announced in a quiet tone, his gaze centering at Kassie's pale face. He attempted to slide his arm out of her desperate grasp, but she clung on, her eyes frozen to the site of the accident.

"Don't go by yourself," she whispered barely audibly, her eyes unmoved from the crashed vehicle. "I'll go with you."

Jed hesitated, his eyes running across the youthful face and eyes slowly lifting to his own. Jed's gaze lowered, and he nodded. Turning back to the forest, he started to descend the hill, keeping his pace slow enough to allow Kassie to fall into step behind him. Scanning the darkness ahead of him, he made out a pair of fresh tire prints in the soft ground leading down to the accident. He flashed his phone up. The red reflective strips in the taillights glared back at the glow shot at them from behind a particularly large section of thorns the vehicle had crashed through. Selecting a path to avoid the thorns, Jed led Kassie closer to the vehicle.

The scent of the burning gasoline wafted by the two, bringing with it the sound of the vehicle’s rumbling engine. As they rounded a tree near the accident, a muffled shriek suddenly caught the cousins' attention. Instinctively, Jed flashed his beam of light toward the vehicle. The shaft glinted uselessly off the window facing the cousins, and Jed lowered the light.

Kassie caught up to Jed, and she paused for a moment at his side, her eyes scanning the vehicle ahead. “Someone's alive in there," she whispered, the urgency in her voice evident as she stepped past her cousin.

Jed nodded as he ducked below a low hanging tree limb. Straightening, he stepped up to the side of the vehicle where Kassie already stood, her fingers pressed up against the window and beam of light pointed into the interior. "Jed!" she exclaimed, her eyes eagerly scanning the backseat. "It's a little kid!" Her fingers fell from the window and latched to the door handle. Throwing a wave of her hair over her shoulder, she pulled open the door. The screaming instantly grew louder. Jed tried to peer into the vehicle from around Kassie but was able to see little of the dark interior.

“It's a girl," Kassie reported, shoving her flashlight between her shoulder and her neck as she crawled into the interior.

Jed cast the front of the vehicle a worried glance, but the vehicle was stabilized in the center of the tree it had smashed into.

“She looks unharmed, but I don’t know for certain," Kassie continued, seating herself in the middle of the backbench. She lifted her chin and peered over the seat in front of her. "I don't know about the driver, though," she whispered softly.

Jed nodded, watching as the beam of Kassie's flashlight slid from the front of the vehicle. "The car's pretty stuck in the tree, but avoid making excessive movement," Jed informed her. "I'm going to go to the front."

Kassie nodded and turned around, her flashlight beam moving to the opposite side of the vehicle.

Jed stepped toward the driver’s side of the crashed sedan, listening subconsciously to the urgent shrieking of the little girl in the backseat. His hand fell to the door handle, and his fingers grazed a sharp, pointed object. Jerking his hand back, Jed turned his fingers over to find a faint bleeding line. His eyes shot back to the door. A small set of thorns lay arranged on a stick bent over the door handle. Flicking it to the ground, Jed repositioned his hand and pulled the handle toward himself. The door yielded to the pressure and opened.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
148 Reviews


Points: 9967
Reviews: 148

Donate
Stickied -- Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:50 am
Kaia says...



Hi reader! Thanks for dropping by!! If you'd like to help me out, I'm concerned about pacing and choppiness so any comments on that would be great!!
-Kaia




User avatar
231 Reviews


Points: 40897
Reviews: 231

Donate
Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:26 pm
RavenAkuma wrote a review...



Hello Again, My Friend!

It's me, Raven, and I'd like to review the next chapter in this great story using my Familiar method! Let's dive in, shall we? Heh heh heh...

What The Black Eyes See...

This was a great follow-up to the first chapter! I'll admit, I was surprised -but also relieved- that Jed and Kassie avoided a crash. Now, the people within that sedan, I'm not sure about. The girl, and whatever may be in the front seat, which you left so cryptic! Let's get into the details though.

Where The Dagger Points...

Honestly, I didn't really find anything I could put here! Your descriptions were great, the characters were great, and everything in between was great! I noticed your question about choppiness and pacing. I thought there was no choppiness at all, and I loved the pacing! If I really stretched it, I feel like there could possibly be a little more urgency after the crash, but the characters were clearly startled, Kassie was calling emergency services, and Jed was trying to calm Kassie down, so there was a valid reason for the hesitation -and the emotions you portrayed so well helped make that clear. That, and the fact that not everyone will react the same way, it is "fight, flight, or freeze" after all lol.

Why The Grin Widened...

Ah, now for highlights! Firstly, big points for descriptions! The way they staged the chapter was so great, like here:

Jed stared blankly into the darkness across the road. The eager chirping of the frogs in the ditch beside the pickup became distinguishable in the silence as he searched the road for a sign of the vehicle


The darkness, the crushing silence save for the sounds of nature, the absence of any other people or cars; this really built an eerie and suspenseful atmosphere for their investigation to proceed into. Before that could happen, of course, there was that period of hesitation I mentioned in the last section, and I thought you wrote it incredibly well. Like this example:

“Yes...There—there’s a black sedan that just d-drove off the ridge,” Kassie mumbled in a shaky voice. Uneasily, she grasped the soda can in the cupholder, crinkling it loudly in the still air as she crushed it between her fingers.


Kassie's dialogue is staggered, and her body language is tense and fidgety. That was a really great way of showing us the strong emotions of the moment; shock, maybe even fear. Love that, you're really great with your characters.

The leadup to the crash site was great, I love the attention to detail, slowly building up the scene as they get closer. Bringing up the disturbed thorns, the burning gas and dying engine, and the reflective taillights in the dark, before finally having them look inside just made it that much more suspenseful, and added a lot more impact to this discovery:

“It's a girl," Kassie reported, shoving her flashlight between her shoulder and her neck as she crawled into the interior.


Oof -the fact that a kid was in the car made the crash so much worse, and I'm more eager to know what else is in the car, and why/how it crashed. And finally, that leads to...

The door yielded to the pressure and opened.


Another great cliffhanger! There's so much uncertainty around what could be in that front seat; someone alive or dead, what their relation to the girl is, what happened to them just before the crash, whether any of these are going to be obvious and answered anytime soon, or if it'll become a greater mystery; so many questions!

Our Mad Thoughts...

Overall, this chapter was awesome, nicely done! :D

Image




Kaia says...


Ahh!! You're reviews are so great. Can't begin to thanking for dropping by so much!! I really don't have experience writing emergencies so that's rather why I had my characters hesitant. The next scene will be even harder to write. I'm hoping to have it out by the end of the week. :D

Again, thanks for dropping your wonderful reviews!!



User avatar
81 Reviews


Points: 308
Reviews: 81

Donate
Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:21 pm
ariah347 wrote a review...



Annnnd we're back! Hey again Kaia! Have you dipped your cookie in some milk yet? I hope you're not lactose intolerant because we're back at it again with another Oreo! We shall see if this inspires another text art masterpiece. Let's get into it.

For the first cookie 🌑: we will discuss the positives because who doesn't like to hear the good things first? First things first, we have a lot of action happening, but you describe it in a cohesive, logical, and easily read way. Kudos! Second things second, speaking of action, as I mentioned in the first chapter, your choices to describe certain movement is inspiring. For example: "cradling her phone against her neck" is a clever way to describe how Kassie was holding her phone. Third things third, your imagery and how you establish the scene is equally intriguing with this line standing out:

The unsettling monotone of the insects surrounding the site became louder in the still air as the cousins watched the bugs zip in and out of the single light below them.
Speak of choices, did someone say word choices? No? Okay, I will... I love some of your vocabulary here. Specific word choices can heighten meaning, change or carry tone, and make a work stand out. We have to be careful which ones we choose though so that we don't lose readers. As a lover of "thick words," I have to point out the one that was my favorite: "fervent." Last things last, you have a gift for opening and closing chapters, urging readers to keep going. Very nicely done!

For the cream ⚪: I usually reserve this for suggested ways to improve works. For many, this part of an Oreo is their favorite, but isn't it maddening when things are reversed? Speaking of maddening, I found the "flash" use repetitive here. While it is pretty practical and necessary to describe lights, you used it twice for eye gaze. I would suggest changing that or finding an equally compelling way so that there is differentiation. There is also illumination or related 6x. I challenge you if you ever reread this to find different ways to describe the lights. As I mentioned with vocabulary, be careful with word choices. While you have a lot of great ones and ways of describing, I can see when you hold onto phrases, word choices, or reuse the same styles. As I mentioned before, my suggestions and comments are of the utmost love. Don't shoot the messenger and take the arrows as you will.

For the last cookie ⚫: like all good things, even cookies, come to an end, we summarize. Chapter one introduced us to Jed and Kassie as well as ended with the establishing scene for chapter two. In chapter two, we have the car crash scene unfolding for our characters. Their interactions in such a traumatizing event as well as their reactions to said event are telling. We are left with another cliffhanger as this chapter is no resolution for our characters. Your way of drawing readers in, leading them through, and then dropping them off a mountainside, compelling them to crawl back up and read more is so amazing!

As promised, if inspired, I would share another text art. For this, we will have to recognize the bugs.

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠿⠿⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡟⠁⢸⡏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢹⡇⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠈⣿⣿⣷⣦⣼⣿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠰⣿⣧⣴⣿⣿⣿⠁⠀⢿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣧⠀⢸⣿⣿⣿⣿⠟⣁⣠⣤⣤⣤⣤⣄⣈⠻⣿⣿⣿⣿⡆⠀⣼⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣿⡀⢸⣿⣿⣿⡿⣿⠋⣿⠇⢸⡇⠈⣿⠙⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡇⢀⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣉⣹⡏⠀⣿⠀⣿⠀⢸⡇⠀⣿⠀⣿⠀⢻⣏⣉⣴⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠿⣿⠇⠀⣿⠀⣿⠀⢸⡇⠀⣿⠀⢻⠀⢸⣿⠿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⡿⠉⣠⣤⣿⡄⠀⠙⠀⢸⠀⢸⡇⠀⢻⠀⢸⠀⢸⣿⣤⡄⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⠃⢠⣿⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠸⠀⢸⡇⠀⠸⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣿⡀⠘⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⡁⠀⣼⣿⡿⠛⣿⡀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⠛⢿⣿⣇⠀⢈⣿⣿
⣿⣏⣀⣠⣿⡟⠀⣾⣿⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⢸⡇⠀⠀⠀⣠⣿⣿⣷⠀⣿⣿⣄⣈⣻⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⡀⠈⠿⣿⣿⣶⣄⣀⢸⡇⣀⣠⣶⣿⣿⠟⠁⢀⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡟⠁⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣾⣇⣤⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠀⣤⣸⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿


Wishing you well wherever you are in the world!


╔═.♥.══════╗
With love, a
╚══════.♥.═╝




Kaia says...


I realize I never replied to this truly amazing review!! I'm so sorry!! Thank for you commenting! Your suggestions are right on board and I definitely need to look into that. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!



User avatar
229 Reviews


Points: 9163
Reviews: 229

Donate
Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:07 pm
foxmaster wrote a review...



Hello! I hope I can leave a better review this time, :)
Overall, this chapter was crazy, and I honestly wasn't expecting what happened at all. It was dramatic, and interesting, and I loved it!
How I feel like you can improve in this, is yes, you described a whole lot, but you described the character s and their thoughts and actions. I feel like this chapter was kind of slow (no offense) , like you described the looks on their faces for kind of a long time, and how they recovered from the accident. Not a whole lot happened here.. Well it did, but also not if you get what I mean.
What I liked was how I was NOT expecting the strangers falling off the cliff. I thought that the main characters were going to fall. Huge plot twists. I admire that.
Overall, while this was kind of slow paced, it was interesting and crazy. I hope this review turned out a lot more helpful than the other one.
Foxmaster




Kaia says...


Hello, hello!!
Thanks for the review. Yeah. It did kinda end up a little slow. I haven't edited this scene in a while...

Oh hahaha. I don't think I've had any other readers tell me about that plot twist. Interesting analysis. :) Thanks for passing that on. :)
-Kaia



foxmaster says...


Yup!th



User avatar
65 Reviews


Points: 31
Reviews: 65

Donate
Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:30 am
VengefulReaper wrote a review...



Hey, Kaia. Just here to leave a quick review!

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Well, this took a turn for the worse. Actually, I thought it was going to be a car crash that involved Kassie dying with her being set up as Jed's only part of his life that wasn't dull last chapter. I am, however, glad to find out that's not the case. Some quick highlights of this chapter were the emotion you put into the characters without saying a line of dialogue. Definitely, a skill I'm still working on lol. Also, the details of the descriptions stand out to me as well just like last chapter.

PLOT

Well, there isn't much plot other than the fact that an SUV tried to take out Jed and Kassie for some unknown reason and as a result crashed and probably killed the driver. There's some mystery setup that I like where Jed is almost enthralled by the SUV (for some reason. Maybe out of shock idk).

Jed ignored her. His gaze remained fixed to the shiny black vehicle. Faintly, he heard Kassie’s rapid breathing as she fell into step beside him, but he ignored it as he started along the road, keeping his eyes fixed to the SUV ahead.


I think this says a lot about the state of obliviousness he's in. He's concerned about Kassie throughout the chapter and she's very important to him. So for him to completely disregard her at such a crucial moment really speaks volumes about what he actually saw in that SUV. It's almost a supernatural compulsion spell.

KASSIE

I think you handled Kassie's reaction really well. I honestly loved how effective this part is:
Nervously, she glanced at Jed, tightening her grasp on the soda can and causing the sides to dent sharply inward.


Her reaction to the decompression of the soda can later on really shows how on edge she is. Her fingers shaking, her voice stammering, etc. all contribute to a vivid image of what she's going through in my mind.

Something I also enjoyed here was her progression throughout the chapter. She starts off very disoriented, nervous, and scared to the point where she can barely speak or function for that matter, and by the end, she has the courage to follow Jed outside the check out the crashed SUV. She's not all the way back to normal and smiling etc. but she's composed herself enough and I think that's super realistic.

PACING

I think the pacing in this one is a lot better than the last one (not to say the last one was bad) but I think I remember saying there were some descriptions that seemed too descriptive and slow down the pace more than it needs to. I think you did a really good job keeping this chapter suspenseful with just the right amount of description.

Keeping tension through description can either turn out with your reader at the edge of their seat or them skipping a long paragraph because they couldn't be bothered what color the air freshener in the car was during the middle of a tense scene.

Fortunately, I was at the edge of my seat (since there was no mention of an air freshener). Considering your genre is suspense and mystery, I think the pacing of this chapter is more than appropriate and I flew through it because I was so engaged.

WHERE'S THE IMPROVEMENTS SECTION?

Well, most of my nitpicks were actually already addressed by cookiesandcream in their review so I won't beat a dead horse (or demolish a crashed SUV in your case lol)

That's all from me, though. Looking forward to reading more and finding out what on Earth Jed finds so interesting about a crashed SUV.

As always, take what you find useful and discard the rest!

Keep writing and keep well!

The Reaper sends his regards...




Kaia says...


Greetings to The Reaper :)

Thank you for returning to read the second chapter! Your first words: "Well, this took a turn for the worse" instantly had me freeze, thinking "Oh, no! My writing got WORSE!!" Then, I understood. Took me a bit. ;)

I struggle A LOT with description. The most common critique I get is "too many adverbs" and at present I'm trying to find a balance between what is TOO much description and what is too little. It used to be I used absolutely NO description whatsoever. All my characters were total twins. Now, I'm running into the opposite problem. So, to hear that you thought the descriptions were pretty good lifts my confidence a little. (There is no mention of the color of the air refresher if there even is one at all in this book, so maybe you won't find the next scene boring. ;) )

Your thoughts about how interested Jed was in the SUV are interesting...I never really interpreted it like that. But, I do think that will probably set the stage for what's going to happen next. ;)

Again, thank you so much for your review!!

-Kaia





Not a problem at all. It's a pleasure to read your work tbh. With regards to description, I think a good rule of thumb is: can the scene/action do without it?

With regards to adverbs, one of my readers on this site gave me a piece of advice: Take that adverb and make it an adjective or look for a synonym (ChatGPT lol). Simple example is this sentence right here:
she whispered weakly, glancing nervously across the road.

and reword it like this (or something to the effect of...)
she murmured under her breath, shooting a nervous glance across the road


Another tip I've found that works for me is try 'showing' the adverb instead of telling it. You use 'nervously' quite a lot in this chapter. If you want to just take this one out, maybe try and show she's nervous so you don't have to say she's nervous.
Kassie gasped and clasped her hands together over her lips. Nervously, her wide brown eyes swept up to Jed%u2019s face. Her fingers trembled as she reached into her backpack. Glancing at Jed, she opened it and pulled out her phone.

This entire paragraph shows that Kassie is very nervous/on edge. So you could just take it out, re-read the sentence and see how drastically that impacts the overall emotion you're trying to get across.

Hope this helps!
-Reaper



Kaia says...


Ah ha! Feel like I'm reading professional advice here. I'll keep those tips in mind. Thank you so much!

-Kaia



User avatar
79 Reviews


Points: 8148
Reviews: 79

Donate
Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:32 am
cookiesandcream123 wrote a review...



Hi there! I'm here to leave a review!

First off, RIP to the black SUV. X_X The ending built a lot of suspense, and I'm guessing they're gonna find dead bodies in the car. Great job on this! The chapter's very tense and kept me nervous throughout it.

Also, though I'm not completely sure, I think Jed likes Kassie?? I know in the 1st chapter, it said they were cousins, but there are... clues o_O here and there. Or maybe I just needa get my head out of the gutter-

Jed stared blankly ahead out of the windshield, gripping the steering wheel firmly to hide the fact that his fingers were trembling slightly. Uneasily, he exhaled...


I really like your descriptions and how detailed they are. Sometimes, though, I think you go a bit too in-depth. Ex: In the quote above, there's 4 adverbs, with 3 in one sentence. It distracts from the main idea, so I'd suggest removing a couple of them.

Same with the dialogue parts: "asked gently, whispered softly, admitted in a weak tone," etc. This made a few words like "softly" and "uneasily" get repeated a lot. In some places, just the "____ said" is enough, as it doesn't need to be described each time.


But that's pretty much all! Overall, this is a solid chapter, and I really enjoyed reading it. In addition, the paragraphs are the right size and spaced out evenly. I have terrible eyesight, so that helps a lot haha. Nice work!




Kaia says...


Thanks so much for leaving a review!

It put a grin on my face to read "RIP to the black SUV" lol!

Um...so, I guess I made a mistake?? You aren't supposed to be getting that impression...I'm not THAT good at writing...*sigh*

And, you're totally right about the adverbs. I use a lot of them...and it probably does get repetitive. I will keep that in mind and if I get the time, I might edit this book smore. But, if not, THANK YOU SO MUCH for the suggestion. It will definitely help in my future books :) And about the dialogue tags...Another struggle of mine...Thanks for pointing that out!

And thanks for the compliment about the paragraphs. I struggle SO much trying to find out what belongs in what paragraph, so it's especially nice to hear that someone likes it the way I did it. :)

Again, thank you VERY much for your review. Your comments are very helpful!

-Kaia





Yw, glad I could be of help!!

And don't worry too much about the Jed and Kassie thing. I've been thinking it over the past few days and was like... "Nah, maybe I just need to get my head out of the gutter" lol. And even if there are clues hinting to it, they were very faint!

There was one story I wrote that did a lot worse actually... *cringe* Not gonna go into the details, but there were 2 brothers -- the older one is a manipulative liar, while the younger one isn't. And, well.. he's underaged. But I overdid the mystery part and wrote weird dialogue, so upon a reread, it totally sounded like...sweet home alabama, if you know what I mean. 'Twas horrifying lol ;-;



Kaia says...


Okay, glad to hear. As a writer, you never QUITE know what everybody's gonna think when they read what you share. ;)

Just made me cringe to read that part, cookiesandcream123! Brings back the cringes from what THIS book used to be...It took a LOT of editing. Believe it or not, it took two years to complete the entirety of I Knew. But overall, I think it was worth it. But, yeah...Not every book ever gets any better, and I totally relate!

(I had to smile when I read "'Twas horrifying'. You're obviously a writer!)




i got called an enigma once so now i purposefully act obtuse
— chikara