The Child House Chapter 2

by Junel

As soon as I open the door the expected sound of everyone hurrying reaches me.

“Mia! I was worried you wouldn’t make it.” says Clare whose arms are full of blankets that must be folded and put away.

“I’m here.” I respond passing her and heading towards my room. “How long do I have?” I ask just outside the door

“Just under ten technically, but maybe twenty if they are slow.”

I give Clare a worried look before rushing through my door. A small mess meets me, things laid about from studying earlier. The advantage of not sharing a room was simply that I only had my own mess to deal with. I place the last of my books neatly back onto my shelf and fix my pillows, I have more stuff than most, my good behavior has paid off well.

Giving my room one last glance I exit back into the chaos. Clare struggles to fold quickly by herself so I grab the other side and work with her.

“How is Hannah?” I ask as I place a red one into our pile, most of these had been on her bed the past few nights, although they were supposed to be mine and I shouldn’t have been sharing. Each night we folded them up for check in and put them back into my wardrobe before pulling them out again.

“Better, her fever is gone and she should be fine by tomorrow. Where is the snow you were going to gather?” she asks casually, but at the reminder of the event I loose my concentration and drop part of the blanket we are folding and we have to begin again. “You took so long I just thought you would actually have brought something back.” She continues just as casual as before.

I look at her examining her emotions carefully, did she miss my scare or is she just making it seem like she did, luring me into a false sense of security. A great tactic, and her own signature style. Sometimes I wish I hadn’t taught her how to hide and fake emotion. She might be even better at it than I am.

I decide it's safe, but I still watch her carefully as I speak for any sign that it isn’t and she's on to me. “I lost track of time and then decided there wouldn’t be enough time to move my desk out so we could hide it, so I left it.” Coming up with strong lies fast was another of my strengths, I just hoped she couldn’t see through it.

As I have closed the conversation enough to not be suspicious I change the topic. “The twins are quiet.” I state sarcastically. Clare rolls her eyes in return as we listen to the yells of Eve and Zoe from their room.

Those two will never get along and haven't for every day in their thirteen years of life, but when it really came down to it they loved each other. When they had first moved into the third room when they were five, I thought that they would be our downfall, so much disagreement and fighting would never get anything done, but soon I realized that all that fighting against each other has a way of getting more done that one might ever expect.

I also would never want to go up against them in a fight, they could take you down faster than anyone else.

We are folding the final blanket when the speaker comes on and check in time is announced. We hurry to finish and grab the others running them into my room. When we exit again the twins and Hannah are already standing in front of their doors. Clare rushes over next to Hannah and we stand there silent and calm.

We all show the same lack of emotion upon our faces and inside we feel the same fear that will never go away, it doesn’t matter that we have done this every day of ours lives. Our hair and clothing also match perfectly. Our white hair contrasting against the black clothes, the sleeves and pants long for the winter.

Only a few things make us different other than our personalities. Our heights vary along with our ages Hannah is shortest at only seven, then of course the twins, thirteen, and then Clare who is barely taller and only older by a year.

I am the oldest at sixteen and in charge so when the knock comes I am the one to walk over to the door opening it for them. It is just two normal teachers tonight, they teach some of the younger kids. 

I lead them over to my room first and watch as they inspect it hoping to find something to call me out on and punish me for.

My room is bland and boring. My bed sits on the far wall, my blankets and pillows gray and black. At its end is the wardrobe which contains my few pairs of clean clothes and all the blankets from earlier. On its’ other side is the second bed stripped of blankets, pillows, and sheets and it's been that way for over nine years, ever since her death. Finally, on the wall next to the entrance is my bookshelf and desk strategically placed in the corner so that my desk blocks the bottom few shelves making the perfect place to tuck things away.

The teachers find no fault in my room and allow me to lead the way back across the main room and into the twins room. Their room contains the same furniture as mine, but is more lively. The beds are both made up and have red blankets. It actually feels like someone lives in their room, although it is still tidy.

Finally, the teachers move on to the final room, this time being much faster, as they want to move on. The scan the room quickly not bothering to open the wardrobe and exit. I plan to lead them over to the bathroom, but they instead head straight for the door and walk out.

I look around at the other girls taking in the last thing that makes us different, the only detail that connects us to the lives we could have had, the only thing they can’t change, our eye color. The twins have blue ones, Hannah has hazel and Clare has green and they are all staring at me and mine, which I know are dark and sometimes, I swear black.

We all hear it and finally begin to breathe properly again at the click of the lock. It means we passed and they won’t come back tonight.

“That’s nearly a month without losing anything.” says Eve quietly and we all nod, but don’t speak scared to jinx our luck.

Zoe finally breaks the silence sighing loudly as she plonks herself down on our couch and Eve soon follows sitting right on top of her. Hannah rushes into her room quickly before returning with the scraps of paper we use in all the games we have made up. They all become comfy and start setting up and I would normally join them, but instead I quickly slip away into my room before they can notice.

I switch into my night clothes and turn off my lights climbing into bed exhausted, but I know that sleep won’t come easily, my mind is too focused on what happened today.

Why was he there?

Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:30 am
Carlito wrote a review...

Hello hello! I'm here to bring this out of the green room for you! :D I apologize that I haven't read the previous chapter yet.

My first thought upon reading this is that it reminds me of Little Orphan Annie a little bit - which isn't necessarily a bad thing! I loved Annie :) The reason I'm feeling the comparison is because from my understanding, this story is taking place in some sort of home for children/orphanage type place with a bunch of different girls and mean/harsh caretakers. Same sort of situation in Annie. Again, not necessarily a bad thing and I have no idea if you're a fan of Annie or if that's the vibe you're going for, it's just something to be mindful of.

I'm a little confused about which character is which and that could be for two reasons. One, because I'm coming in late and don't have a lot of context. Two, because there are a lot of characters so far and it's hard to keep them straight. I think it's a bit of a combination of the two. There's nothing wrong with having a big cast, but you have to be careful as you introduce your characters that you give your reader ample time to digest and take note of everyone so we can keep everyone straight :)

This is an interesting chapter and you've done a nice job setting up the world and what life is like for these girls. You've planted some seeds that are interesting enough that I would want to keep reading to figure out what's going to happen next. My biggest qualm with the chapter is that I feel it lacks a little oomph. Things are happening, but nothing feels consequential enough to seem like the plot is moving forward in any substantial way. I know it's early in the story, but I still need to feel like I'm being propelled into the plot and that every single moment you're including in the story has a clear purpose and value in moving the story forward.

Kind of along with that, I think one thing you can do to move your writing to the next level, is to think about showing more. I noticed a lot of telling and info-dumping - meaning pieces of information that are just that, pieces of information. Information is nice in moderation so the reader feels like they know what's going on, but too much, especially early on in the story starts to feel info-dumpy. I'm thinking about this:

And the subsequent information about the twins. Interesting stuff, not needed at this exact moment. We'll have plenty of time to get to know the twins and their story. Propel me into the present moment story.

In terms of showing and adding more description, I'm thinking of things like this:
We all show the same lack of emotion upon our faces and inside we feel the same fear that will never go away, it doesn’t matter that we have done this every day of ours lives.

What do their faces look like specifically? There's a lack of emotion on their faces, but what does that look like exactly? How does this narrator know they're all feeling the same fear on the inside? Why doesn't it matter that they've done this every day of their lives? And what is "this" that they've done?

So overall, I think you have an interesting idea here and mechanically I think your writing is fine. I would think about how you want to use this chapter to move the plot forward and what information and details you absolutely have to include to achieve that goal, develop those, and leave out the rest for now :)

I'll leave things there for now, but keep working on this story and let me know if you have any questions or if there's anything you want feedback on that I didn't mention! :D

Junel says...

Thanks for the review it was lots of help. This is more of an info dumpy chapter and so I'll try to lessen that, but its kinda important after the the last chapter which gave much of the plots big pushes.
I agree that this chapter is also similar to Annie, but the story is quite different, but again thats clearer with the info from the prologue and first chapter. (Its quick a bit of a darker story)

Junel says...

Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:04 am
NympheaLily wrote a review...

Top of the morning to you, NympheaLily here!

Ah yes, more characters! I always love more characters, it gives you a great chance to chose unique favorites and debate about them. Anyway, aside from that digression, onto what I think is awesome and some suggestions. As a note to you, like all the rest of my reviews, these suggestions are not orders to change. This is your story, you so whatever you want! Now on to criticism...

To be honest, I was a little confused in the starting of this chapter. It seemed to skip ahead, or maybe I have short term memory. Aside from that, I hear no other mention of the boy from chapter one. Will he be relevant or connected to the other characters in some way? And one more question, are all of the people Mia's traveling with siblings of her or each other or what? You never really described their relations clearly.

Noe since that is done and away with, let us get to the good stuff. Since this is at 10:00 at night, I'll probably repeat myself. A lot. Anyway, I really liked your word choice (again) and your descriptions were pretty good this time. This story gives off a post apocalyptic vibe that kind of answers my question from earlier. Umm, what else do I have? Uh, watermelon, watermelon, kumquat, watermelon, watermelon, quesadia, pico de gayo, chicken, bacon...

Darn, I'm hungry. I'll go get a snack as this is all I have for your tonight. Keep up the hard work and as always, KEEP THOSE FINGERS TYPING!
Ciao!
~NympheaLily

"I love you as certain dark things are to be loved, in secret, between the shadow and the soul."
— Pablo Neruda