The Roses by My Window

by JosephHazel2

I like my window. It lets in the sun that stabs the cold dark air in my room, lets sea salt walk to my nose, guides the waves of chilling breezes that kicked the boats along the big puddle outside my window to my face. My kind window keeps me sane, reminding me of that little place beyond these few inches of my wall, the street by the sea and the castle on the cliff behind it. I often see boats slapping the crests of water as they shove through the waves, thinking they won’t capsize and sink. And if one does sink, no one will care. Because the important one came out, the sailor swam away. The sailor lived, the boat died. Yet the boats keep on sailing. Moments like this are when I pull my roses away from the glass, I give in to my eyes that want to see the world in all it’s glorious horror, that drama of reality, and wonder why no one mourns the boats. Then there are quieter times, times before and after the boat sinks when a second story window is the most interesting thing to look at, and peering eyes look in. It’s then I put my roses up against the window in such a way to hide the world from my room.

At the times when I keep the roses there, I have to try to forget that world outside and not peer out to the street. Looking at my roof, I’m always drawn to that one knot in that one board. It looks like a dog. Except it only has one ear and lacks a body. The eyes are too big, the mouth is a bit strange, but really, it looks like a dog. All the other boards don’t have anything in them, they don’t have anything other than the bare minimum necessary to hold up my roof, but that board has something else. It has a dog. No reason to have a dog, but it does. That little non-necessity is all I have to look at in my room, in my house; my leaf green walls are blameless, my desk has no faults and I hate them both. A dog barks from beyond these perfect walls. Roses are moved and I see a dog on a rope hopping across the sidewalk and a woman in a blouse pulling the dog from the street and with her other hand she holds the brim of her sunhat on against the wind. The sunhat is a different blue than her blouse, yet she wears it anyway, her Terrier is much too excited for her liking, but she loves him anyway. My nose whiffs the glass as they pass, my eyes follow them, and I wonder why she would live the life she lives as I forget the life I claim as my own. And the woman looks up and sees me wide-eyed like a child on school bus passing an ice cream truck. I put my roses back.

Those petals will die, the stems will turn black, they will lose their scent, and then I will see the boats and the people on the street again, and hope that something more interesting is happening than me. Beyond the sea is the little castle on the cliff, that lovely abode of solitude and safety. I would much like to live there. Strong walls to hold me and towers to see the world through a far-away telescope. An ant farm of people to watch without them looking up into my window as they do now. My window reminds me that I’m not alone, that other people can look at me like I look at them. But for now, I’ll have to know that some eyes mirror my own. And maybe buy some more roses.

Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:23 am
thedevinhiggins wrote a review...

First of all, I seriously love the imagery you used, and the way you described the main character!

However, in this passage...

"It lets in the sun that stabs the cold dark air in my room, lets sea salt walk to my nose, guides the waves of chilling breezes that kicked the boats along the big puddle outside my window to my face."

While I do love the fact that you personified the scenery in the first few sentences, the way you did it could have been done a little better. The structure is a little hard to read and it contrasts with the harmony of the rest of the story, you know?

Another thing...

"My nose whiffs the glass as they pass, my eyes follow them, and I wonder why she would live the life she lives as I forget the life I claim as my own. And the woman looks up and sees me wide-eyed like a child on school bus passing an ice cream truck. I put my roses back."

The first phrase about the whole nose-whiffing thing kind doesn't really make sense. But this is just a minor thing. Then, you draw the correlation between the woman and a child seeing an ice-cream truck. This comparison definitely interrupts the flow of the story, and, again, it doesn't really make sense.

Other than that, this story is absolutely amazing! It has wonderful characterization and imagery (I cannot place enough emphasis on how good the imagery is, oh my gosh) and you definitely did a wonderful job!

Keep writing, please!

Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:04 pm
FCD says...

Hi,FCD here for a quick review.

I found this story intriguing. I think you did an amazing job of displaying the central character.
The reader can see that the character is clearly flawed, as he or she hates perfection. This is evident from the lines:

"That little non-necessity is all I have to look at in my room, in my house; my leaf green walls are blameless, my desk has no faults and I hate them both."

I think one thing that could improve this story would be better spacing and commas.
I think you should start a new paragraph after the line above, as the characters attention has switched from the perfect room she despises to the lady with the dog outside.

I can see that you attempted to use personification in the first few lines.

"I like my window. It lets in the sun that stabs the cold dark air in my room, lets sea salt walk to my nose, guides the waves of chilling breezes that kicked the boats along the big puddle outside my window to my face."

I think that these first few lines could be significantly improved upon. It's important that your opening paragraph captivates the readers attention. A bad start can put people off.

I think that the personification in the line "lets sea salt walk to my nose, " is not very effective. I think that there is a better way to communicate the way the character smells sea salt. Maybe something like " The window invites the smell of sea salt inside and it lingers for a while."

One thing I really liked was the ending paragraph. I love how you communicated the characters desire for solitude by using the lines;

"Beyond the sea is the little castle on the cliff, that lovely abode of solitude and safety. I would much like to live there. Strong walls to hold me and towers to see the world through a far away telescope."

This was interesting to me as it made the story a mystery. I wanted to know why the character dislikes the world, and desires to be spectator from afar. This made me curious about the characters life, allowing me to speculate about her situation. By not stating what the characters problem is, you allow the reader to dream up possibilities about the life of the character. This makes your story ambiguous, meaning that it can be interpreted in many different ways.

For example, someone who has gone through depression might decide that the character is in a depressive state. How people interpret your story will depend on their own experience, making the story rich an diverse.

Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:04 pm
FCD wrote a review...

Hi,FCD here for a quick review.

Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:34 pm
Noelle wrote a review...

The first thing I notice is three big paragraphs. There's nothing wrong with large paragraphs, but with this being a short story it's a bit much. Read it again and see where you can break those up. The main issue with this is readability. Our eyes can get distracted with longer paragraphs and lose focus. I always read word for word so I wasn't bothered much by it, but others may. Just something to think about.

It lets in the sun that stabs the cold dark air in my room, lets sea salt walk to my nose, guides the waves of chilling breezes that kicked the boats along the big puddle outside my window to my face.

The part I underlined seems too in depth to be part of this sentence. There's already a list of things here and then there's a description of the breezes and the boats and the water in one thing of this list. Sometimes there can be too much description. Keep it simple, try to focus on one thing at a time. That'll cut down on the bulkiness of this overall sentence and will keep the flow flowing (flow flowing I'm so funny! xDDD Sorry, I'm a little weird today...)

At the times when I keep the roses there, I have to try to forget that world outside and not peer out to the street. Looking at my roof, I’m always drawn to that one knot in that one board.

I'm confused with this transition. First the narrator is trying not to peer out into the street and then they are looking at their roof. Isn't the roof outside the window? And when did they come out from behind the window? What I've gotten from this story so far is that the narrator likes to sit behind their window and look out at the world. That's what I've been focusing on and then all of the sudden we're transferred outside to see the roof.

Especially for what you're trying to accomplish here, I suggest keeping the setting the same. Keep us inside behind the window. Describe the outside from the inside like in the first paragraph. With shorter pieces it's better to keep things simple. Use your words and descriptions to make it meaningful.

All the other boards don’t have anything in them, they don’t have anything other than the bare minimum necessary to hold up my roof end sentence, start a new one. but that board has something else.

This is a run-on sentence.

Roses are moved and I see a dog on a rope hopping across the sidewalk and a woman in a blouse pulling the dog from the street and with her other hand she holds the brim of her sunhat on against the wind.

So is this.

I see that you're working the flow in the two sentences I quoted above. You want this to be long and flowy and such. I get that vibe. However, there's such thing as too long. I mentioned something before about too much description. I think that's what is happening here as well. You want us to know every bit about what the narrator is seeing. Know that you don't have to. Sometimes the best short stories are written with less words. I like the description of the dog on a rope. After that all you have to say is a woman pulled him back. The focus is on the dog, not the person, since the narrator has been talking about dogs for a little while now.

Overall I think you have a good short story. It's the story of a woman (at least that's who I see the narrator as) who wants to look into other people's lives, but doesn't want them looking into her own. I get the feeling that she is alone, but not lonely. She has her roses and her window, who could need much else? I like how the story focuses on so much, but tells us so little. Those kind of stories intrigue me.

There are a few things that could be polished to make this story great. Cutting back the big paragraphs is definitely one of them. If you could even just break the first two in half it will present better. Despite writing being about the words of a story, it's also about the presentation. Find a happy medium with your sentence lengths. It seems you want to stick to longer, description filled sentences. That's awesome, go for it. Just be careful not to get too pulled into the details.

Just like CoffeeCat mentioned, I thought immediately about rose colored glasses. I can see the window as a metaphor for those glasses. This woman places the roses there in order to see what she wants to see. She's controlling her life through her own vision and perspective of the world. I think that's pretty cool. I also like that you didn't go deep into who this woman (or man, I'm just speculating) is. You've kept her a mystery so you could focus on her roses and the world. I like that.

Kudos on a good story! I was definitely intrigued and you didn't let me down. I enjoyed reading it good work.

**Noelle**

Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:11 pm
AvantCoffee wrote a review...

Hi ^^ CoffeeCat here to review ~

When I imagined "roses by my window" I thought of "rose-coloured glasses" and idealised perceptions — a good title for the story's sensual tone and content. What really struck me was the vividness of the words you chose and the use of personification. You made a lot of appropriate choices when it comes to the way in which you convey this particular story. :)

I found that the window serves as an anchor within the story, allowing the trail of narration to drift in and out of it. The story is very thought-heavy or passive, which can often cause a reader to become bored and apathetic, but your interesting writing style compelled me to keep reading. The moment I really became engaged was halfway through the first paragraph, when the character's unique perspective of the boats going unmourned kicks in. It's also when the character is first revealed in a significant way. You set up the story well by leading the reader into this unique character perspective while giving the writing a slow yet alive atmosphere. It all feels relevant.

I like my window.

If you wanted to, you could replace the full stop (period) of this very first sentence with a semicolon to join what follows. I feel like this could add to the calm/reflective atmosphere by lengthening the sentences. Of course, I'm getting a bit technical here. Since your writing is very good I'm suggesting details like this that could enhance it.

All the other boards don’t have anything in them, they don’t have anything other than the bare minimum necessary to hold up my roof, but that board has something else.

Okay, so this sentence could do with some change, since it doesn't really work as a single sentence. I would recommend (again) replacing the comma after "them" with a semicolon. Then you could put a full stop after "roof" and have the rest be a short sentence of its own. It's less awkward, I think, and it would put dramatic emphasis on the board being different to the others by separating it.

my desk has no faults and I hate them both. A dog barks from beyond these perfect walls.

It feels like there should be a new paragraph after "both."

A long sequence! I'm not sure if you intentionally planned it that way to create a sort of "breathless" affect, but it's certainly noticeable... which is probably not the best, unfortunately. Writing is usually better when the author is invisible, so the reader can be engrossed in the story without interruption. It might be worth considering this.

The sunhat is a different blue than her blouse, yet she wears it anyway, her Terrier is much too excited for her liking, but she loves him anyway.

This is a little awkward. I would make a new sentence after the first "anyway".

on school bus

Just a typo. Put an "a" between "on" and "school".

I put my roses back.

Awesome! I see the roses to be a symbol for avoiding reality, and it's really nice that you carry this through the story.

I feel like the first sentence of the last paragraph is so important that it could become a separate paragraph of its own.

Beyond the sea is the little castle on the cliff, that lovely abode of solitude and safety.

You might emphasise the character's voice by replacing the comma after "cliff" with an ellipsis (one of these ... ) to show their longing.

Ooh, you resolve the story nicely by bringing it back to the roses again. This last paragraph does however seem a bit rushed, like it's telling the reader what's going on. This can be the problem with having a very reflective narration style — a lot of telling, not much doing.

After reading this story all the way through, I interpret it as a reclusive character who is intrigued by the world and yet wants to stay private. This idea was more or less consistent, and you did a great job overall! The first paragraph was especially excellent. It might've been nice to develop the character voice more, as there wasn't much to grab onto besides their passive perspective on the world outside them. I was kind of hoping the boat deaths would be more meaningful in some way, but oh well.

All-in-all a lovely read. I hope my review has been helpful to you in some way. Keep up the great writing!

— Coffee

Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:30 am
Starve wrote a review...

This is probably the second best work I've ever reviewed on YWS, though that total number is low.
Although I liked almost all of it and can provide no real general criticism from a writing perspective and only a little as a reader. I'll start with why I liked it, since I read this at least 2-3 times.

1. The story type -- I don't know the proper words but this isn't a <cap'n obvious> introduction - conflict - climax - conflict resolution </cap'n obvious> plot. This is more of a what I refer to in my mind as a "journey" story. Like "the curious case of benjamin button" or "the man from earth"; and it's great. Especially because I like them but i can't write them — yet. What I look for in such stories is i. how credible they are ii. How the descriptions of actions, feelings and things work iii. while being credible, how insightful the story remains
This post did well on all counts.

2. The pacing - to a speed reader like me, it immediately reminded of Margaret Atwood's writing like The Handmaid's tale since it made me slow down and look at and understand each description. I then started scanning them for frivolity ( a bad habit, i know) and the only one I could not understand completely , was
"My nose whiffs the glass as they pass"
I thought of it as her nose being pressed up against the window so they could see better? But they also have the option of opening the window, though it's understandable that a shy person might not want to do that. If that is right though, I have not even the tiniest nitpick left.
Other than that, this gives a sense of completeness in about 600 ish words, something I've always struggled to do and failed in even double that.
The focus is on the window, even the slight foray into the interiors of the room only serves to re-enforce that. (Along with a whimsical element in the lead's nature?)

3. The descriptions -- they work pretty well. This actually inspires me to approach short story writing in a different way, because since Atwood's descriptions were part of a novel,they sometimes got boring. In a short story however, since there isn't much of it, it all fits, even to a distracted speed reader. I won't pick favourites because if I choose one I have to choose them all. I feel like they add to a purposeful ambiguity in the over-all state of the lead, where they are established to be shy, but not a whole lot more is made clear. I thought I could also feel melancholy (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdfRU0F9XSY), but lonely=/=solitary.The ambiguity is also helpful because people sitting by the window are often thought of and portrayed as sad, longing and aching, and this upends that. ( and by the end, I thought this person rather liked to stay where they were, only expressing a wish to go outside so that they could get to the castle and do even better what they do so well already.)
If you didn't want it to be ambiguous though, that is something I feel could be improved upon.

The roses work way better from a poetic prose aspect than say, curtains, because they offer much more. They wither, they fall, they are to be replaced. Similar to curtains partially, but also new and different.

This review isn't very long because I'm stingy with praise (as my past reviews attest) and I can't find anything more to criticize.

Keep writing so we can keep reading.

I didn't know beards could do that ;)
— ShadowVyper