Home » Literary works » Script » Dramatic

Phantasma

by JadeParks

Characters:

GIRL, roughly fourteen years old.

MAN, late thirties. Married to Woman for fifteen years.

WOMAN, early forties. Married to Man for fifteen years.

BOY, roughly fourteen. Girl’s boyfriend.

Phantasma

Open with a girl’s bedroom. Present. There is a bed with Girl in it, fast asleep. There is a television that displays a snowy picture. There is an end table with a lamp and a cell phone. From the darkness off stage come loud crashes and bangs as Man and Woman physically fight. Something hits the floor and shatters. In the dark, we hear their screams.

MAN

(Low growl) Get out.

WOMAN

Stop it!

(We hear a dull screech as if a chair is being pushed across the floor.)

MAN

Get out of my house, you stupid cunt.

WOMAN

Enough. This is bull.

(Another bang, the loudest of them all. The girl in her bed abruptly sits up. Girl pauses then jumps up to turn off the television then perches herself on the side of her bed. Listening. A door slams from the darkness, causing the girl to jump. Then there is banging on windows around the outside of the house.)

GIRL

Oh no. He said ‘cunt’. He never says that unless he’s really mad.

WOMAN

You asshole! I hate you! (Bangs on glass repeatedly) I hate you!

GIRL

Is she really locked out? Have they truly taken it that far? She’s screaming so loud! Will neighbors call the police? This can’t be happening!

(Girl gets up from her bed and tip-toes towards her bedroom door. We hear more banging, one particular on against Girl’s wall and then her door locks. Girl flinches and leaps back onto her bed, pretending to be asleep. Then we hear stomping around and locking of doors. The girl still sits up, stunned.)

WOMAN

I hate you! You are such a little fucker! Let me in!

(Deep sobbing)

(From the darkness we hear silence. The girl grabs her cellphone from a bedside table.)

(Ring)

(Ring)

(Ring)

BOY

(From off stage) Hey! Leave a message.

GIRL

(Soft whisper) Hey. Sorry. I know it’s late. I just wanted to talk to you. (Long pause) I love you. Bye.

(Girl puts the phone down. Then picks it back up. Then puts it back down. Then picks it back up and puts it back down.)

GIRL

It’s late. That’s why he didn’t answer. It’s nearly three o’clock. I just don’t know what to do. They have fought before, plenty of times. I don’t think they’ve ever taken it so far before. Should I try and leave my bedroom? Should I go and help? What could I do? I’m too afraid of them. They would yell at me. I don’t want to be yelled at. Do they think I can’t hear? Have they always thought that I was such a heavy sleeper that I wouldn’t hear?

(From the darkness, we hear deep sobbing. Girl climbs back into bed, believing the worst is over. Long pause. We hear shuffling of feet then a screen door open. Girl sits up.)

GIRL

I just wish I could hear what they’re saying.

MAN

Are you done?

WOMAN

I’m sorry. You were right about everything.

MAN

(Snort) What are you sorry about?

WOMAN

Spending all the money. Not buying groceries. Not cleaning—

MAN

I’m bleeding. I can’t find my glasses. You broke things.

WOMAN

(Snaps) I’m sorry!

MAN

Go away.

WOMAN

I have been away.

MAN

Go further.

(Screen door closes. Some shuffling of Man’s feet and sitting in a loud chair. Then the screen door opens again. Man pounds feet against floor.)

MAN

What are you doing?

(Slam of different door and bolt lock it. After Man sits back in his chair, Girl picks up her phone again.)

GIRL

When they came home there was a lot of banging. I just thought they were drunk. So I tried to fall back asleep. Well there was a lot of banging on her way out too. I’ll never get to sleep now.

(Girl puts the phone down and brings her knees up to her chest. She stares offstage for a long while.)

GIRL

I really don’t want to end up like them.

(Girl climbs into bed and dozes off.)

Blackout.

Curtain.

anna91423 wrote a review...

This was interesting, it really draws in the reader and makes you feel empathy for the girl. the stage directions made it easy to imagine how it would look on stage. A really good piece- one of the better scripts I've read on here. :)

JadeParks says...

Thank you, Anna. I'm glad you liked it, and that the stage directions made it easier rather than harder. I found myself getting lost a few times :P

If you run now, you will be running the rest of your life.
— Reborn