z

Young Writers Society



Avery Trent - Chapter 3 (Less-Goods on Terra)

by Hattable


Avery looked around the planet they had appeared on. He had a feeling that it should look very strange, but it didn’t. In fact, the other side of the galaxy looked a lot like Earth. The grass was a greenish-yellow color, dotted with pinks and purples and more yellow in clumps of flora. The trees were tall and green and very tree-like. Everything seemed to be exactly the same as the little valley back on Earth. His car was even a little ways down the road.

Then he looked up. Filling the sky was a bright, pink, boiling mess that stretched across the atmosphere for miles. Tendrils of darker pink reached for the horizons in every direction and a swirling silver bit, almost like the eye of a storm, inhabited the middle.

“What is that?” Avery exclaimed, stunned by the beautiful, yet for some reason terrifying, sight.

“Well, I’m not quite sure,” Jason began, inspecting the sky. “But I’m gonna go out on a limb and say its the sun.”

Avery stared at Jason, his mouth gaping open. “What do you mean ‘the sun’? That’s no sun! Not if I’ve ever seen one, at least!”

“Well then, you haven’t seen very many suns,” Jason replied quite smugly. He then wandered to the edge of the road to pick some flowers.

Avery couldn’t believe this and, despite the terrible state that the sky was in, he refused to accept that they had shot across the galaxy.

“Prove it.”

Jason froze from his flower-picking and spun around. “What do you mean ‘prove it’?”

“Prove that this isn’t Earth. Prove that we’re on the other side of the galaxy,” Avery stated in a tone that suggested he had cornered Jason.

Silence floated between them before being shot down by Jason’s voice. “Alright.”

“Ha! I knew it-- Wait, what?” Avery watched as Jason made his way down the road to the car. He quickly jogged after Jason, curious as to how he would prove such a thing.

“What’s this?” Jason asked, tapping the car’s hood and crossing his arms.

“My car…” Avery replied.

“Really? You sure sound uncertain.” Jason smirked at the look on Avery’s face. “Alright then, if it’s your car, like you say, then surely you can unlock it?”

“O-of course! Surely, surely!” Avery said. He dug around in his pocket for the keys and, with his own smirk aimed at Jason, pressed the corresponding button.

Nothing. Not a beep or a blink of the headlights, not even a clicking sound. Avery pressed the button again. Still nothing. Jason looking on expectantly, Avery grew nervous and frantically mashed the unlock button.

Suddenly Jason snatched the key from Avery and held it away from him.

“Okay, okay, stop it. You’ve proved my point. This isn’t your car, this isn’t your Earth.”

Avery glared at Jason and made a quick grab for his key. Jason reacted to this by tossing the key into the open top of the silver can.

“Why’d you… do that?” Avery asked disappointedly.

“Because,” said Jason, “you weren’t being very sportsmanlike. Now, if you’ll stop acting like a child and let me explain…”

Avery crossed his arms stubbornly, only acting more like a child, but agreed to listen.

“Thank you. So, you see, this isn’t your Earth, but it is still very much an Earth. In fact, I believe this particular planet is called ‘Terra’.”

“‘Terra’?” Avery questioned. “As in ‘earth’ in Latin?”

“Yeah, yeah, whatever, I doubt that’s the reason they named it that. Anyway, if this is indeed Terra then it’s one of the worst places for you to be.”

“What? Why?” Avery suddenly became very paranoid and incredibly alert. He even managed to notice the otherwise unnoticeable change in the air, as if something dangerous was nearby.

“Are you originally from Earth?” Jason asked almost sarcastically.

“Yes, of course! Where else would I be from?” Avery’s eyes were fearfully darting around as he answered.

Jason cringed at this and wanted very much so to list off every inhabitable planet he knew, but he held his tongue. “Well, Terra has been known to copy Earth. Almost exactly, as you can see by example of this car here. And if this car is here, and you claim it’s just like yours, then that means there’s another you here. A less-good version.”

“What do you mean--?”

“NO!” Jason screamed, causing Avery to nearly leap out of his skin.

“What is wrong with you?” Avery hissed as he continued looking around.

“We’ve used up all of our ‘what do you means’ today. No more. All I mean by ‘less-good’ is that they aren’t necessarily bad. Just less-good.” Jason explained.

Silence had survived Jason’s attack earlier and gotten back up. It now limped between the two figures standing alone in the valley. Alone aside from the less-good figure who appeared beside them.

“Hello there!” It said cheerfully, popping up beside Avery.

“AUGH!” Avery and Jason exclaimed in unison. Frightened a lot more than Jason was, Avery took out his handkerchief and swung at the figure maniacally.

“Whoa, whoa, whoa!” The figure shouted as it dodged Avery’s attacks. “Calm down!”

Noticing the figure’s face, Avery froze. It was an incredibly familiar face, one that he saw every day. Now that the figure had stopped hopping around to avoid Avery’s handkerchief, Jason realized what it was too.

“Who are you?” Avery asked. The figure smiled as he replied.

“I’m Trent. Less-good Avery Trent, to be precise."


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
235 Reviews


Points: 2200
Reviews: 235

Donate
Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:32 pm
inktopus wrote a review...



Hey, hatt! Storm here for a review this fine Review Day, so let's jump right into it!

He had a feeling that it should look very strange, but it didn’t. In fact, the other side of the galaxy looked a lot like Earth. The grass was a greenish-yellow color, dotted with pinks and purples and more yellow in clumps of flora. The trees were tall and green and very tree-like.

I don't quite know how to say that the description is wrong here; it's just wrong. You just tell us this stuff. Show us, describe it to us.

Then he looked up.

Fragment. Sometimes fragments can be used to great effect. This one just seems incorrect.

“Okay, okay, stop it. You’ve proved my point. This isn’t your car, this isn’t your Earth.”

Why is there an exact replica of Avery's car here?

ohh- you explain later. But is this another dimension? Or is this a planet copying earth? it's not quite clear.

This was a pretty dialogue heavy chapter, but the only criticism I have for the dialogue is that it's utterly mediocre. I mean, it's not glaringly horrible, but it's nothing spectacular. I imagine you've improved a lot since you've written this.

My biggest complaint is that you don't present the information you have here in the best, clearest way. I mean, it should be slightly confusing to us because it's confusing to Avery as well, but even the things Jason explains aren't explained very well. You need to present Terra to us as Avery sees it exactly. Since this is an entirely new world, it deserves more description than it's given, doesn't it?

Overall, this was just mediocre. Nothing too terrible, but nothing stand-out amazing either.

~Storm




User avatar
760 Reviews


Points: 31396
Reviews: 760

Donate
Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:39 pm
View Likes
ExOmelas wrote a review...



Just the one nit-pick:

Jason cringed at this and wanted very much so to list off every inhabitable planet he knew, but he held his tongue.

This is a sudden change in perspective where it has been entirely Avery so far. I recommend something about Avery wondering if that was what he was thinking, or that looked like what he was thinking, or something like that.

~~~

Character: Characters good again. Jason is suitably exasperated which is good. Avery seems a lot more flapped now than he did in the first chapter which sort of makes sense. But the problem is that in the first chapter it was something that really should have alarmed him which he shrugged off, which suggests it's going to take more to rattle him than most. As a result, when he has a reasonable reaction - ie panic - to being on a whole other planet, it seems a bit inconsistent.

Setting: Wonderful, beautiful, and with just enough gaps for intrigue.

Plot: Ooooh this is cool. I'm really interested to see where this goes.

Flow: The little jarring details, like things suddenly being there that weren't before and the narrative not really focussing on them like sci-fi narratives normally do is very humourous and enjoyable. Good job!

Hope this helps,
Biscuits :)




Hattable says...


yeah, avery's a mess throughout, but particularly at the beginning. i'm still having trouble in chapter 20 with him reacting to things. i need to edit a ton to fix that because he isn't surprised or concerned at all about some things that he should be, and then others he freaks out, like in this chapter. so many probleeeemsss;-;



User avatar
125 Reviews


Points: 59
Reviews: 125

Donate
Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:02 pm
Songmorning says...



Wow, now I'm even more curious. How could there be a "parallel planet" in the same universe? In fact, you seem to have implied that there are many of these parallel planets. Why is it that this particular Avery is "less-good", and how does he know that he is? With every chapter, I'm left with more questions, and it just makes me want to keep reading.

I was also quite jarred when Jason screamed, "NO!" I think "screamed" was the perfect word choice there. "We've used up all of your 'what do you means' today," got a giggle out of me.

Oh, and the sky is beautiful.

More, please! This is so clever.




Songmorning says...


Oops! I think this double-posted. I was having some technical trouble...Sorry!



JKHatt says...


Haha, no problem. :p



User avatar
125 Reviews


Points: 59
Reviews: 125

Donate
Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:02 pm
View Likes
Songmorning wrote a review...



Wow, now I'm even more curious. How could there be a "parallel planet" in the same universe? In fact, you seem to have implied that there are many of these parallel planets. Why is it that this particular Avery is "less-good", and how does he know that he is? With every chapter, I'm left with more questions, and it just makes me want to keep reading.

I was also quite jarred when Jason screamed, "NO!" I think "screamed" was the perfect word choice there. "We've used up all of your 'what do you means' today," got a giggle out of me.

Oh, and the sky is beautiful.

More, please! This is so clever.




User avatar
499 Reviews


Points: 6141
Reviews: 499

Donate
Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:44 pm
View Likes
Que wrote a review...



*jumps back into review box epically* Hello!

Really loved this chapter, especially the idea of having "less-good" selves rather than very bad... can't wait to see where that leads off! I had the same ideas as Jen with the flowers and keys...

And then there was this part, which was a little confusing.

Silence had survived Jason’s attack earlier and gotten back up. It now limped between the two figures standing alone in the valley. Alone aside from the less-good figure who appeared beside them.

Well. I'm not sure if you wanted to personify silence, because that's kind of what you did. It seems a little awkward, but maybe that's just me. Also, I think you would want a comma after valley rather than a period.

Other than that, wonderful once again! I praise your writing forever.

Moving Onwards and Upwards to the next chapter...

-Falco




JKHatt says...


Yeah, "silence" is used so much throughout this novel that I'm running out of ways to switch it up and not just say "silence fell" or "silence reigned".
As for the comma instead of a period, yes that would work, but... I don't know... It's like how with Dash I had shorter sentences rather than using commas. I'm just messing around with my writing style.
*flies off to read next review*



User avatar
33 Reviews


Points: 3581
Reviews: 33

Donate
Thu May 21, 2015 5:28 am
View Likes
CorruptedRoseJen wrote a review...



Hello again~~~~~~~~~! Oh yeeeeaaaaaaah~~~~~~~~~~ Guess who got their tildes baaaaaack~~~~~~

Anyways, I should be doing homework/catching up on sleep. But screw thaaaaaaat~~~

Anywho, yay for another chappie! \(O v O)/ I'm still confused, and things still happen. But the idea of the Less-Goods is cool, yoku dekimashita(well done).

I want to make this review shorter, so it's easier to read. Therefore, I won't be pointing out the parts that are already good/that I like.

So, before I dredge up some minor errors/deficiencies, here's something major: NO TEA. :( In the previous two chapters, it has been well established that Avery-san runs on tea (well, not really, but considering how he loves it so...). So why would it suddenly disappear completely in this chapter? Sure, they're on an alternate world, and tea is nary to be found. However, you can have him at least reference to tea, or think to himself, "If only I could be at home now, with a hot mug of tea..." It seems that "tea" is a consistency in between the chapters, so it's good to have at least a little reference to it in every chappie.

Another thing is, why did Jason wander off to collect flowers? Does that hold a significant plot value, or is it just a spur-of-the-moment-gotta-get-dem-flowerz sort of thing? If it's the latter, I suggest you replace that scene, since things tend to not to casually pick flowers when they're in some sort of danger. However, if it's specifically done to prepare for something, then I understand, and will not disturb it any further.

Also, you wrote that Avery sounded disappointed when Jason took away his keys. Wait, what? First, your sneeze ran off and came back sentient, then, you found weird things on the news, then, you're abducted (sort of) after almost falling to death, and now you've ended up on an entirely different planet, with such bizarrely familiar objects yet such eerie differences (er, there are differences, right? No? Okay....). You're not going to be very disappointed. Rather, you'd be confused, impatient, on edge, pugnacious, etc. Especially not after someone snatched your car keys from you, good reason or not. If he's disappointed that the keys didn't work, state it more clearly.

Hmmmmnnn.... that's about all I'm going to pick on you today for. Maybe I'll come back later one day and add things and stuff.....

Not gonna forget to mark it as review this time. Sorry for the trouble last time ^ ^'

I really need sleep.... but there's a major project on Friday and I've not yet even started... 'tis nowt but unknown territory.... So I won't be doing a conclusion today. Thank you for understanding :3

Happy writing~~~~~~~!
(Oh goodness it sounds [types?] so much better with tildes \(= v =)/ ~~~<3)




User avatar
38 Reviews


Points: 194
Reviews: 38

Donate
Tue May 19, 2015 8:10 pm
View Likes
Ashkitten83 says...



Really cute, and funny. When my son found out that Avery had a double he said "Uh Oh!!!" With a big smile on his face. Lol Me and my son cant wait til Chapter 4.




User avatar
8 Reviews


Points: 415
Reviews: 8

Donate
Tue May 19, 2015 7:15 am
View Likes
DarkWarrior wrote a review...



Hey! DarkWarrior again.
So, now I can see a lot more plot development, which is good.
I see that you have taken the characters to Terra, the parallel Earth, in a way.
The only place where I could find a mistake (possibly):
"So, you see, this isn't your Earth, but it is still very much a Earth."
A. Earth. Yeah, articles seemed a bit off. It should be an instead (Unless you deliberately did that.)
So yeah, Keep up the good work.





Books give a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything
— Plato