We are Different, not Less...

by IsaacDaramola

"We should Go meet him and talk to him.

No we shouldn't.

But its been a week since he arrived and he's been silent,

We know that,but if he want company, he would mingle with others.

He seems Lonely, I think I would go meet him,

No one cares if you go, we would leave without you.

Hey,am ........

Hello,am ........

Yes, We are typical Introverts, We are best friends to Silence, We're Melancholic/Phlegmatic, We dwell mostly in ourselves, We find it hard to socialize with people for long (not that we don't at all), Yes, we have Asperger's Syndrome, that does not mean we are not vulnerable, that does not mean we don't need friends. In fact, we need friendship the most,we really do, but our expression might be unusual.

Just as the Heart Involuntarily beats, We unwillingly like Solitude. What we need from others without the Syndrome is for them to Understand us and not Discriminate.

My Cousin was recently telling me that the longest Conversion she ever had with me lasted not more than 10 Minutes because I would always feel uncomfortable after some minutes conversing with her, all I did was smiled and told her that I would try to dialogue longer with her than the previous record, knowing that I could not manage socializing for so long, because it will always seem difficult and stressful.

Most time we spend in our solitary mood is for us to regain our energy because our strength lies in us, fellow mates should not neglect us, because we prefer to be alone than to be around people, we just find it difficult to socialize.

Most times,people, especially students with Asperger's Syndrome are been discriminated, and this is unpleasant, this attitude we cannot help but just embrace Solitude, it doesn't mean we don't want to make friends, just that we need specific ones that we could confide in and will accept us for who we are.

-12% Full-time employment rate for individuals with High Functioning Autism and Asperger’s

-80% Live as a dependent with family members throughout their life.

People with this syndrome are been neglected by the society in general, why should they be neglected, when in 2015 it was estimated that 37.2 million people globally are affected. Close to 40 million people should not be looked down upon by the society. Whereas ,famous people with great impact like Abraham Lincoln, Albert Einstein, Isaac Newton are speculated to have this same syndrome.

Instead of neglecting that mate of yours because of the antisocial behaviour he/she exhibit sometimes, why not connect with such Asperger's Syndrome fellow via Social network and see the good side of that sociopath that you think he/she is, we need just a trial via Social network where we are not visibly conversing with others, but our fingers does it all, then you would get to know we are fun chatting with at least if the face-to-face interaction does not work..

"You have the ability to make friends with anyone, it all depends on you,if you just WANT to be friends with such person or you really NEED to be."

The Center for Disease Control (2014) estimates prevalence in the United States is estimated at 1 in 68 births. We should work towards making the kids with this syndrome to feel welcome to the society and to know that "They are only Different, not less". 

So why the solitude act since you arrived last week?,

Its because I feel Happy when am alone than with people around.

Oh, Now I get it, Bye for tonight,

Bye, see you tomorrow.

Logs Out...

Logs Out..."

He stared at all that he has written in his Journal

Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:51 pm
IvoryRose wrote a review...

Hello it’s IvoryRose here for a review! I thought it was good that the essay was a narrative because it lets you see into the mind of someone with Aspergers. You want people to understand why you act the way you act. I really feel like the Autisim community deserves more love and less hate. Issac Newton and Da Vinci both are believed to be on the spectrum, yet everyone remembers them for their amazing accomplishments. If people got their heads out of their butts and learned how it works the world would be a slightly better place. I think the main reason is that people are ignorant. You explained your reasoning and why you personally act the way you do, but maybe you could have added research. Like statics on how many people have aspergers, why people have it, and examples of what people could do. You have some words that were capitalized when they shouldn’t have been, but I don’t see anything else that is grammatically incorrect. Great essay! :)

IsaacIsaac says...

Thanks a lot for the Heads- Up Ivoryrose, necessary corrections will be made.

Sorry, the former reply was from my old account, and thanks for the review.

Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:14 pm
zaminami says...

**has aspergers**

**flips table**

Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:14 am

Hi there Isaac and welcome to YWS! Niteowl here to review this essay.

Overall, I think this is an important subject to talk about. People on the autism spectrum do face a lot of discrimination and it can be more challenging to do things that non-autistic people have little trouble with. I also may have Asperger's (not officially diagnosed, but a former therapist suspected it and a lot of the symptoms do fit me).

That said, there's a lot of work that could be done to make this essay stronger.

1) The opening stock image. Not only do you not need it, it also mentions both Asperger's and ADHD which are two different things. Granted, there is some overlap, but unless you really want to talk about ADHD as well, I would focus on autism/Asperger's.

2) Asperger's is actually now an outdated term, although it is still used a lot. As of a couple years ago, it is part of Autism Spectrum Disorder. I would do more research to better understand this change and the varying experiences of people on the spectrum.

3) The grammar and spelling. While I'm not usually into giving nit-picky critiques, there's some serious errors that make this essay really hard to read. The major ones are the random capitalized words (unless it's a proper noun like Asperger's) and the punctuation spacing (there should be one space after commas and periods, no space before commas or periods, and no space after quotation marks).

4) I feel like a lot of what you're describing here is more like "introvert" behavior than autism-specific behavior. For example, you mention having trouble talking to your cousin for long periods of time. That's an introverted trait for sure, but not all autistic people are introverted and some really enjoy talking. For example, I know not all autistic people have special interests, but I know I had some odd "phases" as a kid. Like when I was 7 I was obsessed with Abraham Lincoln and you couldn't pay me to shut up about him. :lol: So really for me, I could say I'm not the best at small talk or talking about things I don't care much about, but if I'm interested in something I will go on and on about it (probably missing the social cues that the other person I am talking at isn't so interested).

Anyway, I think the best way to flesh out your examples of symptoms is to describe the events, but also how they go beyond "normal" levels of introversion or awkwardness. I would also do some research to see how other people on the spectrum experience their symptoms and what discrimination they experience. Having strong examples based on your own and other people's experiences can support your main points and strengthen your arguments.

5) " Most times,have seen Students with Aspergers Syndrome been discriminated". I feel like this is a sentence with stories that beg to be told but that aren't right now. Did you personally witness this discrimination or is this from a source that hasn't been cited? How are autistic students being discriminated against? Who is doing the discriminating (for example, peers bullying can certainly hurt, but teachers can also discriminate in many ways)? What might be done to fight this sort of discrimination?

6)

Yes,we have Aspergers , a form of autism,that does not mean we are not vulnerable, it does not mean we don't need friends. In fact, we need friendship the most,we really do, but our expression might just be absent or unusual.

Okay, I reserved my nitpicking to clarify this one sentence(corrections in bold or crossed out) because I think it's a darn good sentence. It's really powerful and so true.

Overall, I think you have some great points and I can relate to a lot of what you said. If you fleshed out your examples, I think it could be even better. Welcome to YWS and keep writing! :D

Hey niteowl, am really grateful for your review, this is my first published article online and my first review ever, I was speechless when reading the review, necessary corrections are been made already,thanks to you..

niteowl says...

Thanks! I'm glad you found it helpful. It does look a lot better. :)

'This must be Thursday,' said Arthur to himself, sinking low over his beer. 'I never could get the hang of Thursdays.'
— Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy