18+ Language Violence Mature Content

​8. Blood and Truce

by Irishpride13

Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for language, violence, and mature content.

Walking through the woods, I found it hard to believe that out of all the options Long Fang could have chosen, I was paired with these two werewolves. My unease grew when I remembered shooting Izzy not long ago, and I couldn't help but worry she might harbor resentment. Glancing back at Sarah and Izzy, who both appeared annoyed, I struggled to articulate my thoughts. "Hey, you're not still upset about me holding you at gunpoint and shooting one of you, are you? Wow, saying it out loud, I realize how absurd that sounds."

Continuing to walk beside the two werewolves, I felt a sense of relief that they didn't criticize my clumsy attempt at small talk. The entire scenario seemed surreal – the idea of collaborating with werewolves was something I had never imagined.

Grateful for the break in silence, I turned towards Sarah as she addressed me. "That's right, Drengr," I confirmed with a nod. At her question about my comment to Fang in the caves, a chuckle escaped me, and I narrowly avoided tripping over a branch. "Fang and I have history. We first crossed paths during the initial war when I was hunting goblins. Back then, there were swarms of them, almost matching the numbers we faced in the recent conflict," I explained, my thoughts momentarily wandering back to those earlier days.

As I reminisced, I couldn't help but think of that moment with Fang. "I had him dead to rights, but I missed. Back then, it was one shot and reload. Weapons weren't as advanced as they are now," I said, lifting my Colt. "If only I had this back then. He would have been history."

Izzy, curious, chimed in next, "So you're saying you're over 100 years old?" I replied with a grin, "Something like that. I was 23 when Fang and I first crossed paths. Back then, I was just a novice in Garra de la Plaga." I paused, my mind wandering, "They had a method to extend the lives of their loyal members, nearly indefinitely. Yet, time always has the upper hand."

Sarah's eyes widened in amazement. "That's incredible," she remarked, "I never imagined such a thing was possible."

Continuing, I said, "You didn’t even question that Fang is older than me." I chuckled. "He's been around much longer. I'm not even sure of his exact age, but he's led the Long Fangs for as long as I can remember." I paused, reflecting. "Sometimes, I wonder if living so long is a curse. You witness so much, see people come and go, while you just keep existing. It's a solitary life,” I shared, now addressing Sarah. "And you, along with Izzy, are essentially immortal too, being werewolves."

Sarah seemed taken aback. "I've never really seen it that way," she said thoughtfully. "But you might be right. It's a peculiar thing to consider." I nodded in agreement. "Yes, immortality is a complex concept. It brings its own set of trials and consequences."

Pointing towards a cabin in the distance, I shifted focus. “Ah, we're here. Time to strategize.”

Part 2

As I barged into the cabin, brushing past Drengr's efforts to restrain me, the exhaustion from the long trek in human form weighed heavily on me, and I yearned for a moment to lie down. The door swung open under my force, and immediately, I found myself staring down the barrels of pistols. Drengr's voice rang out, urging the other hunters not to fire.

The air was thick with tension, the other hunters evidently on high alert. They appeared to have been stationed there for some time, with signs of fatigue evident on their faces, some looking as if they hadn't slept in days. Trying to lighten the mood, I quipped, "You guys look like shit," pointing at one hunter in particular. "Especially that guy." My attempt at humor, however, only elicited a few strained chuckles. The pervasive weariness made it clear that jokes were out of place.

Drengr, sidestepping to avoid me, commanded, "Put your damned guns down!" His voice cut through the silence, and the room's tension seemed to spike once more. It was evident that the situation was fraught with seriousness, and I realized the need for caution.

On a whim, I thought, "Why not?" With Sarah following behind Drengr, I let my eyes glow, saying playfully, "You guys act like you've never seen a werewolf before." I flashed a grin, revealing my fangs. A younger hunter looked terrified, close to panic, while the older ones merely watched me with a blend of curiosity and apprehension. Sarah, pushing past, muttered under her breath, "Quit showing off."

Once the hunter returned to his duties, Drengr moved off to discuss matters with one of the seasoned hunters, leaving Sarah and me to our own devices. We figured it best to find a spot to sit and bide our time, but beyond that, our plans were uncertain. While looking for a suitable place, a younger hunter came up to us and announced, "Ok ladies, your room is ready."

I raised an eyebrow, puzzled. "Our room?" I echoed, a bit taken aback.

The hunter nodded with a hint of amusement. "Yeah, you're sharing a room. We've got a space crunch, so doubling up on rooms is necessary. Don’t worry, it's spacious enough for both of you."

Upon entering our assigned room, we found it quite snug. Sarah, accustomed to luxury, flopped down on the bed and exclaimed, "A real bed!" I gave her a teasing look. "Really?" She shot back a defensive glance, her eyes shimmering a bright purple. "Yes, it's no match for my old mattress, but it'll suffice." Her dramatic response drew a chuckle from me. It was refreshing to see her let down her guard and unwind.

As for myself, I wasn't accustomed to the comfort of a decent bed, having spent much of my life on the move and sleeping in less than ideal conditions. The change was a pleasant one. I settled onto the bed opposite Sarah and let out a sigh of contentment. The future was uncertain, and we had no clue what challenges awaited us, but for the moment, the warmth and comfort of this cozy room was a small blessing we both appreciated.

Part 3

"As I sat up from the bed, I took a moment to appreciate the comfort of the mattress. Compared to the accommodations back in the cave, this was heaven. Of course, I was usually too tired to complain, but the change was still a welcome one. I noticed Izzy scanning the room, her eyes lingering on the sparse furnishings. There wasn't much to see – just a small dresser, a nightstand, and the beds we were sitting on.

Drengr and another man approached our room and knocked on the door. I turned to Izzy, wearing a questioning look. She simply shrugged, leaving the decision to let them in up to me. After a brief hesitation, I defensively called out, 'Come in!' Standing in the corner of the room, I watched as Drengr and the younger man entered. The younger man cautiously eyed me, then Izzy. I could sense his wariness, which I couldn't fault him for. Not everyone was comfortable around werewolves like us.

Drengr quickly eased the tension by introducing the younger man as his cousin, Xavier. In contrast to Drengr's tall and muscular frame, Xavier was shorter and less robust. However, there was a certain depth in his eyes, an air of experience that belied his young age. He appeared to be in his 30s, but his gaze spoke volumes of a person who had encountered death up close.

Xavier's voice held a disarming charm, his pronounced Spanish accent almost captivating. 'So, you two are the lycans that Fang sent to help,' he remarked, his words laced with disdain for me and my kind. His demeanor was cold, and I sensed the lurking danger in him. It became evident that Xavier was far more dangerous than his older cousin and a definite killer.

At a critical moment, Drengr intervened, reminding us that we needed to clean up and change our appearance. He informed us that Mrs. Everclear would soon arrive to take our measurements. Xavier gave his cousin a frosty look before exiting the room.

I asked Drengr if Mrs. Everclear was an older woman who spoke broken English, which he confirmed. A smile crossed my face as I reminisced about my former housekeeper, a kind and optimistic woman.

When it was Izzy's turn to bathe, I noticed her pronounced musculature and the dense scars crisscrossing her back – remnants of her past life. She gave me a disconcerted look before quickly closing the bathroom door.

As I bathed, I observed in the mirror how much my body had transformed from my previous life. My muscles had become denser and more robust, shaping me into the perfect killer, designed to disarm anyone who saw me.

As expected, Mrs. Everclear arrived to take our measurements. Her face displayed a mixture of emotions upon seeing me – happiness, sadness, and perhaps a trace of fear. Despite her initial hesitance, we swiftly completed the process. I felt grateful for her assistance. Seeing her now, surrounded by kinder individuals than my father, who was a disagreeable man, brought peace to my mind. The world was undoubtedly a better place without him, and the memory of his downfall lingered in my thoughts.

Izzy's abrupt shout snapped me back to reality, and I realized that my eyes had turned red, and my claws were emerging. Mrs. Everclear recoiled at my sudden transformation, muttering something in Spanish and making the sign of the cross. Izzy regarded me with concern, recognizing the change in my behavior. Taking a deep breath, I struggled to regain control, allowing my eyes to return to their normal color and retracting my claws. It was a harsh reminder that, despite my efforts, my instincts could still overpower me.

Mrs. Everclear hurried out of the room in a frenzy. Moments later, Xavier reappeared, his expression tense and agitated. His stern, cold voice heightened the already strained atmosphere as he accused me of giving his aunt an unsettling gaze. Flushed with embarrassment and anger, I was about to defend myself when Izzy interjected, asserting that the accusation was absurd and that Xavier was merely stirring up trouble. Despite his glare, Drengr entered the room, demanding to know what was going on. When Xavier attempted to explain, Drengr dismissed his claims, insisting that I wouldn't act in such a manner. He then steered the conversation back to the matter at hand.

Drengr and Xavier engaged in a heated argument in Spanish, the tension palpable in the air. Mrs. Everclear stood in the hallway, her gaze filled with fear as she looked at me. I tried to beckon her over, but Xavier suddenly drew his gun and aimed it at me, shouting, 'Mantente alejado de mi familia, demonio maldito!' Not understanding his words but recognizing the hostility in his expression, I knew it wasn't good. Drengr swiftly intervened, knocking the gun down and scolding Xavier, '¡Ella no habla español, estúpido idiota!' I exhaled in relief as the tension eased, but I couldn't shake off the feeling that something was amiss. These were members of Garra de la Plaga, after all, and I was a werewolf.

I understood that a truce wouldn't change the fact that family ties remained strong, and my brief loss of control had endangered Mrs. Everclear. I doubted that a truce would prevent Xavier from attempting to harm me, especially if he perceived a threat to his family. His deep-seated animosity towards my kind was evident, and though I couldn't fault him for it, given our long history of conflict with humans, it was a stark reality.

After Xavier left for a walk, Drengr returned with Mrs. Everclear. I apologized to her, explaining that the recollection of the pain my father had inflicted had caused me to lose control of my abilities, inadvertently frightening her. Drengr translated for me, and upon hearing my father's name, Mrs. Everclear spat on the ground, uttering some harsh words in Spanish. Drengr softened her words in translation, conveying that she wished she could have ended that evil man herself, and that even such an end was too merciful for him. Drengr then admonished her, saying, “I’m not saying the rest, tía. You really shouldn't talk like that.'"

Part 3

"I tried to sleep, but it wasn't easy, considering there were 15 people in the other rooms who wanted me dead. Sarah stayed up late, deep in conversation with Mrs. Everclear, someone from her past life. I couldn't pinpoint exactly when I fell asleep, but I was abruptly awoken by something being thrown at me. Then I heard Sarah muttering about wanting just a few more minutes. Suddenly, Xavier burst into the room, shouting in both English and Spanish. 'Of course you can sleep a few more minutes. We don't have anything to do, and we certainly don't have to track down more of your kind who are actively killing people. Wake the hell up, princesa!' I groaned and rubbed my eyes, already dreading the day ahead.

The object that hit me turned out to be hunter's garb, complete with a gun belt and a colt with a walnut handle. Sarah's colt had a purple heart handle. The sight of the weapons astounded me. Xavier, noticing my interest, said, 'I trust you know how to use that. My tía carved those last night, and since she trusts you and her, I'll cut you some slack. But if you put any of us in danger, I will end you.' His tone was cold and serious, prompting me to bite back a snarky retort.

I quickly dressed in the new hunter's garb, pleased to find it fit perfectly. It had been a long time since I'd worn something form-fitting. The top and pants included extra material with a breakaway pattern for sudden movements. These hunters had thought of everything. As I fastened the gun belt, it felt reassuring to have a weapon close. Pulling out the dagger, I noticed it was made of silver, which gave me goosebumps.

Upon Xavier's return, he seemed surprised to see me in my new gear, his face reddening. I barely suppressed a laugh. He stuttered a question about breakfast, but his attention shifted when Sarah emerged from the washroom in her gear. He glanced at her, then hurried away as if desperate to escape.

The new clothing fit well, designed for agility. Wearing something other than rags felt liberating. I soon understood they wanted us to embody the hunter's role. However, something odd struck me – I couldn't smell Sarah. Even upon closer inspection, there was nothing. Pointing this out to her, she looked insulted and mentioned her recent bath. But it was more than that – her scent seemed entirely blocked.

Drengr, noticing my concern, approached to inquire. After explaining the situation, he confirmed they used magic, wolf's bane, salt, and other methods to mask scents, but wouldn't reveal more due to trade secrecy. Initially alarmed, I considered stripping off the clothes, but Drengr reassured me that wolf's bane wouldn't affect me as I was a Lycan, specifically a lycanthrope, not a werewolf. Still confused, Drengr elaborated on the various types of werebeasts.

Joining the hunters outside, they were cooking over an open fire. The aroma was enticing, and I was encouraged to help myself. Sarah seemed equally excited. As we ate, I observed the diverse group, a mix of Spaniards, African Americans, and white guys, all getting along well. They seamlessly switched between English and Spanish, making me realize I needed to learn Spanish.

While eating, a dark-complexioned hunter asked if I could eat raw meat without issues. I playfully confirmed, adding that Sarah particularly enjoyed raw deer. Sarah, caught off guard, joined the conversation, her eyes turning bright purple, nails extending and saying. 'When I'm in my wolf form, chasing down a deer and sinking my fangs into it... it's intoxicating,' she described, captivating the hunters.

The atmosphere tensed when a hunter mockingly asked about eating human. Sarah, looking ashamed. She didn't respond immediately. Then the question was repeated more forcefully, Sarah then stood then walked over casually a light-skinned man at a nearby table. Her eyes were blood red, as she slammed her palms onto the table. She dug her nails in the redwood of the table. “Do you want an answer, or are you just being dick for posterity? I am a supernatural creature. You might recall my kind have extraordinary gifts." The man looked Stricken as Sarah lectured him. "Did you really think I couldn't pinpoint It was you? That was asking that idiotic question. Do you really want to know?' she challenged.

Coldly, she admitted. “I have eaten human, But only a few times. back when I transformed for the first time ever. I lost control. But now, I have almost full control. The only thing that triggers my loss of said control” She lifted her hand, looking at her formidable claws and Continued. “is when I feel strong emotions. So, pissing me off could be bad for your health. But to answer your idiotic question, Yes, I do like the taste of humans, but it's bad for my health.”

Xavier's booming voice interrupted the tense moment. I was pulling Sarah away from the man, preventing a potential disaster. In both Spanish and English, Xavier reprimanded, '¿Qué diablos está pasando aquí? Are you fucking kidding me Coningham? Pissing off El Diablo is a great way to get yourself killed.' He then turned to us, 'We'll address your threat later. For now, get the fuck out of my camp. Go find Drengr. Here's his scent sample,' he said, tossing a vial to me."

Sat Jun 22, 2024 7:33 pm

Hi again! Icy back for another review on another chapter! I'll get straight into it.

A quick reminder first off that you need to have a new paragraph each time a new character speaks. Sometimes it feels weird to do that because you end up with lots of short paragraphs but it makes it way easier for the reader to follow on with who's talking, and means you can limit the use of dialogue tags (things like 'explained', 'said', admitted). Dialogue tags can help us describe how characters are saying things but a mixture between using them and not using them often helps work to flow a bit better.

Also seconding Mint's comment about specifying the POV. Having not read much of this previously I had no idea changing POVs was a thing and it took me about half way through to realise that we'd changed. Just a simple name at the top of the chapter will work :)

Izzy and Sarah seem to warm up to Drengr very quickly which surprised me because he didn't seem all that charming in the previous chapter. It's nice to get a look inside his head because I definitely empathise with him more as a character, but I wasn't really expecting Izzy and Sarah to be this fine with talking to him, given that they can't see inside his head like I can.

I do like the character development of Sarah though. I feel like we learn a lot about her in this chapter and I'm completely here for it. Some parts of the chapter felt choppy (although nothing major, probably easily fixed with a reread) but her development really stood out to me.

Hope to catch another chapter of this soon!

Icy

Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:04 am
Spearmint wrote a review...

Hello hello! It's mint, back with a review! ^-^ Overall, I enjoyed seeing the other hunters' reactions to the werewolves (well, not enjoyed exactly, but it made sense as part of the story... you know what I mean xD). It's understandable that they'd be mostly hostile, but also curious. I also always enjoy meeting new characters, such as Xavier and Mrs. Everclear in this chapter.

I think I mentioned this before, but it'd be super helpful if you could specify the POV of each part. There's always a moment of disorientation before I figure out who the narrator is lol.

Anyways, on to specifics!

My unease grew when I remembered shooting Izzy not long ago, and I couldn't help but worry she might harbor resentment. Glancing back at Sarah and Izzy, who both appeared annoyed, I struggled to articulate my thoughts. "Hey, you're not still upset about me holding you at gunpoint and shooting one of you, are you? Wow, saying it out loud, I realize how absurd that sounds."

Here, Drengr seems very different from the previous chapter. He seems clumsier and more unsure of himself. Perhaps you could add something to imply that his confidence is a facade and that he does have doubts and worries? Or maybe I'm interpreting this wrong >.>
Also, I am very skeptical of the fact that Izzy and Sarah don't criticize Drengr for attacking them. If it were me, I'd be furious. (After all, even if the pain is gone, the memory and resentment remain.) Yet they calmly go along with his small talk? To be honest, it doesn't make much sense to me.

"I had him dead to rights, but I missed. Back then, it was one shot and reload. Weapons weren't as advanced as they are now," I said, lifting my Colt. "If only I had this back then. He would have been history."

Love the bit of history in there! One of my favorite things about this story is how it's integrated with American history. It's a plausible alternate universe.

"Yes, immortality is a complex concept. It brings its own set of trials and consequences."

For sure. I wonder if Sarah will have a chance to explore those consequences more later on.

Part 2

As I barged into the cabin, brushing past Drengr's efforts to restrain me, the exhaustion from the long trek in human form weighed heavily on me, and I yearned for a moment to lie down.

This was quite an abrupt transition... It's a little confusing what's happening here. Was Izzy barging into the cabin part of the strategy? Or did Izzy just break off and decide to barge in on her own? "strategize" implies calculation and planning, but "barged" implies impulsivity.

On a whim, I thought, "Why not?" With Sarah following behind Drengr, I let my eyes glow, saying playfully, "You guys act like you've never seen a werewolf before." I flashed a grin, revealing my fangs.

Ahaha Izzy that doesn't sound like a smart idea... Scared humans can be unpredictable. >.>

Sarah, accustomed to luxury, flopped down on the bed and exclaimed, "A real bed!" I gave her a teasing look. "Really?" She shot back a defensive glance, her eyes shimmering a bright purple.

Ah, I'm glad Sarah gets to enjoy a bed again! I also appreciated the bit of description of Sarah's eyes that you slipped in there. It'd be great if you could slip in even more description here and there so readers can visualize the story better!

In contrast to Drengr's tall and muscular frame, Xavier was shorter and less robust. However, there was a certain depth in his eyes, an air of experience that belied his young age. He appeared to be in his 30s, but his gaze spoke volumes of a person who had encountered death up close.

Yesss this is a good description.

Her face displayed a mixture of emotions upon seeing me – happiness, sadness, and perhaps a trace of fear. Despite her initial hesitance, we swiftly completed the process. I felt grateful for her assistance. Seeing her now, surrounded by kinder individuals than my father, who was a disagreeable man, brought peace to my mind.

I'm curious about Mrs. Everclear's reaction to Sarah. It seems that she was previously Sarah's housekeeper? If so, it seems natural that she'd gasp or something at the sight of Sarah and ask how she's been... Of course, I could be missing or forgetting something here.

Izzy's abrupt shout snapped me back to reality, and I realized that my eyes had turned red, and my claws were emerging.

I like this momentary lack of control on Sarah's part. It shows that her despicable father still has an influence on her. I hope she learns to surmount that and control herself though... ;-;

'Mantente alejado de mi familia, demonio maldito!' Not understanding his words but recognizing the hostility in his expression, I knew it wasn't good. Drengr swiftly intervened, knocking the gun down and scolding Xavier, '¡Ella no habla español, estúpido idiota!'

I'm taking Spanish, so I could understand that! =P
"Stay away from my family, damned demon!"
"She doesn't speak Spanish, stupid idiot!"
Even if I didn't understand Spanish, I think the overall meanings of those phrases would be clear enough, so you probably don't need a translation.

Drengr then admonished her, saying, “I’m not saying the rest, tía. You really shouldn't talk like that.'"

XD This was a nice moment of humor.

Upon Xavier's return, he seemed surprised to see me in my new gear, his face reddening. I barely suppressed a laugh. He stuttered a question about breakfast, but his attention shifted when Sarah emerged from the washroom in her gear.

Hmmm... does Xavier like Izzy... >.>

She lifted her hand, looking at her formidable claws and Continued. “is when I feel strong emotions.

This section could use some proofreading-- there are some random capitalized letters and some letters that need to be capitalized.
This was a natural heightening of tension, though, so well done! (It's completely believable that a hunter would ask a stupid question like that and that Sarah would lose her temper a little.)

Keep writing, and I hope you have a wonderful day/night! =D

Irishpride13 says...

The changes in the last part (about eating manwitch) I did after rereading. I'll redo it. That may have happened when I had to recover the book the momentary part where I almost lost everything

The worst bullies you will ever encounter in your life are your own thoughts.
— Bryant McGill