z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

King of the Court v2 [CH2]

by yosh


A/n: pRRrrrRRrRRReeviously on King of the Court . . . Alex has some memories. Then he gets attacked by Thea. Then Alex and Dwayne decide to have a showdown in which Alex brutally destroys Dwayne. Then the coach appears, too. He isn't that funny, though. And also Dwayne declares he's center. 

[Chapter 2]

[Conditioning]

Spencer frowns, inwardly thinking, He is kind of short. Didn’t the coach say that centers are tall players?

Colin begins to ask, “Wait, but isn’t Dwayne-”

“If he wants to play center and he can play center, then I don’t see why he shouldn’t,” Coach Jacob interrupts Colin adamantly, “I personally don’t see any problem with it.”

“But Spencer could-”

Coach Jacob pats Colin on the shoulder, “Quiet down for a second. Consider this my first lesson for you guys.”

Spencer perks up, along with everyone else.

“Basketball, like basically every sport, has a strong foundation of rules,” Jacob says, “But there's a difference between following the rules, and following the random common things that most people do.”

“What do you mean?” asks Alex. Clearly, Alex is intrigued, because Spencer can see wide eyes on Alex’s face that hadn't been there before.

“Just because centers are usually tall doesn’t mean that they have to be. Just because small teams are usually weak ones doesn’t mean they have to be. That’s just the norm. Sure, centers could be better if they’re tall, and a bigger team means more substitutes, and less energy expended. But are you going to let that beat you up? A few inches and some extra stamina?”

Dwayne laughs, “No way! Anyways, let's play some basketball! Come on, come on, come on, come on, come on!”

Chris narrows his eyes at Dwayne, and Dwayne noticeably shrinks a bit, still whispering: ‘Come on, come on, come on’.

“We’ve first gotta hold the tryouts, though,” says Jacob, putting down his stuff and grabbing a ball from the rack, “So first thing’s first. Before we do anything basketball related, we have to do something really important.”

“What is it?” asks Spencer, mystified that a basketball coach is saying that something unrelated to basketball is more important than basketball itself.

Jacob smiles, not warmly, but in a passively sinister way, “Run laps until I tell you to stop.”

. . .

“. . . conditioning,” Chris growls, breathing heavily. After nine laps, it still doesn’t look like Jacob is anywhere near stopping them. Every single part of Chris’s body is screaming at him.

“Huh?” Colin asks, while gasping for air.

“It’s such a . . . nice . . . sounding word,” Chris says, speaking between gasps, “But in . . . reality . . . it’s such a . . . painful . . . thing!”

“Keep going!” he hears Jacob yell, “Or we’ll never get to practice!”

Chris notices that Dwayne begins to run considerably faster. Is that kid insane? Chris thinks disdainfully. Chris’s legs are sore, and his clothes are beginning to moisten from the sweat. His lungs feel as if they’re collapsing inward, squeezing all the oxygen out of Chris’s body.

Finally, after twelve interminable laps, Chris hears the Fweeeeet! of Jacob’s whistle.

In relief, Chris collapses onto the floor. He isn’t sure when was the last time he felt so amazing.

“Get off the ground,” calls Jacob, “Come over here.”

All five players struggle off the ground and crawl/walk over to Jacob.

“Have you ever heard that joke?” Jacob asks cheerfully. Chris is almost one-hundred-percent sure that his older brother is enjoying watching his players feel pain. That’s essentially what siblings are, after all. Monsters that torture you and happen to have the same last name.

“What joke?” Chris asks, “It doesn’t matter what it is, though, because nothing you say is funny.”

This time, Jacob actually ignores him, “It goes like this: A man is banging his head on a wall. Another man comes over and asks him why he’s banging his head on the wall. ‘So that it’ll feel good when I stop’, he replies.”

Alex raises his hand, “I don’t think that was very funny.”

“Me neither,” Colin adds, and Chris smirks despite himself.

“The point wasn’t to make you laugh!” roars Jacob. He throws his hands up, finally giving up.

“When are we going to play basketball?” Dwayne asks, “It better be now!”

“Go and play. I’ll just watch. By the way, we’ll be practicing right after school every day until five. If you don't like that schedule then screw you,” Jacob says, grabbing his whistle and sitting down on a chair near the wall. Everyone pauses for a moment, unsure what to do.

“I- . . . I made it onto the basketball team!” Spencer says, breaking the silence. Chris can see his eyes start to moisten.

“Did you think you weren’t?” Chris says dryly, “There are only five of us. If you didn’t make the team we wouldn’t even be able to play.”

“Shut up,” Alex whispers from behind him.

Chris isn’t amused, “I’m just being realistic.”

“How about this!” Dwayne shouts, suddenly appearing very smug, as if he knows a deadly secret, “Me and Alex versus the rest of you!”

“I don’t mind,” Chris shrugs. Alex is probably pretty good at basketball, considering that Dwayne chose him over everyone else, but it’s nothing Chris can’t handle.

He grabs one of the basketballs off the ground and starts to dribble. Chris doesn’t particularly like basketball. He doesn’t hate it either, but he knows he definitely won’t pursue it seriously after middle school. After all, he knows that real talent is required to play in college and professional level basketball.

“Are you going to start?” Dwayne asks, hopping up and down. Chris picks up the ball and immediately passes it left, to Colin, since the other option, Spencer is clearly a beginner. Alex reacts faster than Chris expected, and manages to cut off a drive to the hoop. Colin dribbles around a bit, but Alex adamantly shuts him down.

Distressed, Colin throws the ball over to Chris, who dashes to the left to catch it. Dwayne is fast too, rushing up right in front of Chris as fast as possible. Luckily, Chris has a few tricks.

He raises the ball up, as if he’s going to shoot, and Dwayne jumps to block him. Chris, however, ducks back down and dribbles past Dwayne, and takes a shot before Alex can get to him.

Swish.

The ball falls straight in.

Everyone is silent.

“Woah!” Spencer cries, breaking the silence again, “That was so cool! I really hope I can do something like that someday!”

“Hey!” Dwayne says, furious, “Stickman! That was a travel!”

. . .

Alex watches in annoyance as the two of them start to yell at each other. Chris may seem calm, but he’s as stubborn as the rest of us, Alex thinks, crossing his arms.

“It was not a travel.”

“Yes it was!”

“No it wasn’t.”

“Yes it was!”

“What’s a travel?” Spencer shouts, shutting up both Dwayne and Chris.

“It’s when you move around without dribbling,” Colin says a-matter-of-factly, but quickly backing up. Alex can tell that he’s definitely scared of the two hotheads now.

Dwayne nods, “Exactly! That’s exactly what this guy did! He jumped and didn’t shoot!”

“That looked like a pump fake to me,” Alex adds, earning a glare from Dwayne.

“Right? I didn’t jump at all,” Chris smirks.

Dwayne crouches and growls, as if to attack Chris.

“Dwayne, wait,” Alex looks at Chris’s feet, “I think I know why you mistook Chris’s pump fake as a jump.”

“I have no idea what you mean! If he jumps then it’s not a pump fake anymore! The point of a pump fake is that it’s faking a shot!” Dwayne says, fuming.

“Chris, stand on your toes,” Alex says, and Chris complies. He suddenly seems at least a foot taller. 

As if he jumped.

“Dwayne, look at how big Chris’s feet are. If he raises his heels off the ground, he can appear as if he’s jumping to anyone directly in front of him,” Alex explains.

“That’s cheating!” Dwayne points at Chris accusingly, “You cheater!”

“Shut up already,” Chris says in a monotone voice, then glancing at Alex, “Your ball. We’ll play defense.”

“I wouldn’t use that in a game though. Recreational basketball and official basketball are different. You probably would be penalized for traveling if you did that,” Alex says, then adds, “Ready?”

Chris nods.

Alex grabs the ball from Chris and immediately takes a shot from outside of the three-point line.

It hits the backboard once, then goes straight into the basket.

“Just do that instead.”

. . .

“You’re amazing, dude!” Dwayne grins, elbowing Alex in the side playfully. As much as Alex doesn’t want to admit it, it actually hurts.

“For what?” Alex asks.

“The Chris-Spray! Spray away your troubles for the rest of your life!” Dwayne says, laughing giddily and uncontrollably. Alex sighs. After shooting the three-pointer, Chris started moping and just left the gym. Shortly afterward, everyone else left, too.

Even with the awkwardness, Alex is glad that he can play on a basketball team again. Even if they lose in the tournament’s first round, Alex can still be satisfied.

A white SUV rolls into the parking lot.

“Shoot, my ride’s here,” Alex gets up and waves at Dwayne, “See you later!”

“You bet! I’ll beat you next time, so don’t worry!” Dwayne shouts, just as Alex is about to get into the car.

“So how were tryouts?” his mother asks, again narrowly slipping past a traffic light. Alex has a feeling that his mom has never stopped at a traffic light. Ever.

“Basketball tryouts? Yeah, it was pretty fun,” Alex smiles, although, since he's sitting in the backseat, she can't see. Funny, thinks Alex, I never used to do that before.

“Great! How were the players?”

“They were nice.”

“What about the coach?”

“The coach?”

Alex snickers inwardly, remembering the conversation between Jacob and Chris. “You’re not funny, Jacob. You’re not funny, Jacob. You’re not funny, Jacob.”

He struggles to keep his composure, but manages to say it.

“Oh, the coach? He was really funny!”


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1487 Reviews


Points: 154417
Reviews: 1487

Donate
Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:40 pm
IcyFlame wrote a review...



Hi again Yosh,

Chapter 2 here we go! I really appreciate your summary at the top. Even though I've just read the chapter, I can foresee it becoming very useful when I review other work in between and inevitably get confused as to what's just happened. The 'memories' part makes me conclude that the first scene was indeed a flashback, so that's helpful to know. And now onto the review!

Spencer perks up, along with everyone else.

So we're now from Spencer's point of view? I think it's going to take me a few chapters to work out the flow of this and how many povs we have in full. Switching isn't a bad thing, but in my opinion there has to be a reason for it. A new chapter is a good enough reason, but I've already spotted you're back to Alex by the end of the chapter.

Jacob smiles, not warmly, but in a passively sinister way, “Run laps until I tell you to stop.”

Oh I can already feel I'm going to enjoy him as a character!

“It’s such a . . . nice . . . sounding word,” Chris says, speaking between gasps, “But in . . . reality . . . it’s such a . . . painful . . . thing!”

I feel like we're maybe going to get a perspective from everyone in the team. I like that as a concept, I just think you maybe need to be careful about how many points of view you introduce this early on. The first few chapters are where the reader's getting settled with the character and the story and each time we jump to a new pov (although having it be within the same setting definitely helps) it pulls me away from the connection I'm making to the book and the character.

I love the dynamic you're already building between the team though. I can already tell they're going to go through thick and thin together and that's going to be interesting with their variety of personalities.

“Go and play. I’ll just watch. By the way, we’ll be practicing right after school every day until five. If you don't like that schedule then screw you,” Jacob says, grabbing his whistle and sitting down on a chair near the wall. Everyone pauses for a moment, unsure what to do.

Jacob seems a bit odd... he was very warm at the start of the chapter when talking about positions and comradery but this makes him seem like something else entirely.

If Chris doesn't like basketball why is he playing?

I'm still surprised the basketball team is going ahead with so few players, since I would have thought a club like that based from a school might be shut down without more interest but I like the characters so far and the dynamic is interesting. Dwayne seems irritating, but Alex already seems to like him which interests me! I'm looking forward to seeing more of their lives off of the court too.

Icy




User avatar
1232 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 1232

Donate
Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:03 pm
MailicedeNamedy wrote a review...



Hi Yosh,

Mailice here with a short review! :D

At first glance, the chapter seemed what the name indicates; a conditioning. I was very surprised that we saw so much of everyone and yet it didn't seem overcrowded or slow or too fast of a pace. I liked that a lot.

I like how you start it lightly and the voices of the characters get louder so there is some development in the process and we get to see what the individual personalities of the characters are and how they show up in a group.

There's one character that I was most excited about and remembered particularly in the chapter and that's Jacob. I didn't realise it in the first draft, but Jacob is a good coach and player in many parts. In the first draft I was probably already a bit taken in by Chris' description, but here I am positively surprised to see that he is a well-developed character who shows right away that he is in charge, but still has the patience to explain everything and everyone a bit more.

The chapter, like the characters getting to know each other, was bumpy in places (actually only in a few, especially towards the middle where it strikes me as if there are some sections missing). On the one hand, I like this emergence of writing to connect that to the characters, but it also confused me at times because I thought I skipped a section.

In general, I like the chapter. It's a good setup for the characters and you also assume a double meaning of the title (at least I think so), creating a good way for the characters and their details to continue. :D

Other points I noticed while reading:

A/n: pRRrrrRRrRRReeviously on King of the Court . . . Alex has some memories. Then he gets attacked by Thea. Then Alex and Dwayne decide to have a showdown in which Alex brutally destroys Dwayne. Then the coach appears, too. He isn't that funny, though. And also Dwayne declares he's center. 

I understand what you mean about it sounding like a moderator, but it seems a bit monotonous to read it in that tone, just because it's so short. I would try to expand it a bit or at least make the sentences a bit more "epic" than the "Then, then, then..." :D

Just because centers are usually tall doesn’t mean that they have to be. Just because small teams are usually weak ones doesn’t mean they have to be.

Reminds me of my coach saying, that I could play with my glasses on.

“The Chris-Spray! Spray away your troubles for the rest of your life!”

:D

Have fun writing!

Mailice




yosh says...


Thanks for the review!

There's one character that I was most excited about and remembered particularly in the chapter and that's Jacob. I didn't realise it in the first draft, but Jacob is a good coach and player in many parts. In the first draft I was probably already a bit taken in by Chris' description, but here I am positively surprised to see that he is a well-developed character who shows right away that he is in charge, but still has the patience to explain everything and everyone a bit more.


Glad you noticed Jacob! I'm really trying to expand on every character (even the coach), because I realize that's partly what I missed in the first draft. Previously, it was mostly centered around Dwayne and Alex, and finally giving some hints of Spencer at the end, and almost all other characters were basically placeholders, and I didn't really like that.

I understand what you mean about it sounding like a moderator, but it seems a bit monotonous to read it in that tone, just because it's so short. I would try to expand it a bit or at least make the sentences a bit more "epic" than the "Then, then, then..." :D


A/n: pRRrrrRRrRRReeviously on King of the Court . . . Alex has some epic memories. Then he gets epicly attacked by Thea. Then Alex and Dwayne decide to have an epic showdown in which Alex epicly and brutally destroys Dwayne. Then the epic coach appears, too. He isn't that funny, though. And also Dwayne epicly declares he's center.

Epic.

Reminds me of my coach saying, that I could play with my glasses on.


Ah that's cool! I play basketball with my glasses, too! (Although, after an injury in soccer, I've switched to contacts.) It's great to hear that there's someone else out there who plays basketball while wearing glasses, because it actually doesn't happen that often, at least around me.

-crabe yosh





You missed changing the "funny" to epic. :D But I hope you get what I mean. :D

I never wear contacts (like in 0.00000000001% of my life only), so that was a bit strange for the team at the beginning that I wore glasses. When I started playing tennis, my trainer was always saying, I should play without them.



yosh says...


Sounds epic! :P




A woman knows the face of the man she loves as a sailor knows the open sea.
— Honore de Balzac