z

Young Writers Society


16+ Mature Content

No one hurt you so i did

by Inmat19


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for mature content.

you lay on your back

your eyes, digressing; limp and emptied

as crimson clouds your eyes and vision

~

you cower in my wrath, a shuddering mess;

chipped ice hanging from the cusps of buildings

that shake frightfully in a winter storm. [ you deserve this ]

~

but you ignited the hate that erupted from its magma chamber

and permeated like ash clouds into the softly singing sky. [ you deserve this ]

~

you tickled their throats with your duster

and while yours is closed I will open it 

splitting the air, as your last breath rips through the debris

that's suffocating you in the dust of deception

and the light finally flees from your blackened insides… [ you deserve this ]

~

~

- 10 Lit poem and analysis by inmat19


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
7 Reviews


Points: 407
Reviews: 7

Donate

User avatar
7 Reviews


Points: 407
Reviews: 7

Donate
Tue May 23, 2017 8:32 pm
moonlitwriter1108 wrote a review...



Hello Inmat19,

What drew me to your post was the title. "No one hurt you, so I did"

Wow. What a great way to pull someone in. In my head I'm thinking "oh no, I have to read this. This is going to be juicy." (sorry for the weird word choice). But anyway yeah. Great title!!

Now that I'm done obsessing about the title let's move on to the actual poem. I'm really bad at translating things into what they would be in real life so I definitely need some help.

I was going to say it sounded as if someone was expressing their feelings of killing someone, and then when I went down and read other reviews I saw your comment about it.

What a dark poem. I love it. No matter how weird that sounds I love reading darker things because I think they hold so much emotion. I don't think you need to make the poetry more clear because I think it's good to let your readers figure it out on their own, and also interesting to what kind of things readers come up with! Awesome poetry and I look forward to reading more of you work. Keep it up

-Moonlitwriter



Random avatar
Inmat19 says...


Interesting, thanks so much! I tried in this poem not to spell everything out to everyone and to leave it dark and almost mysterious. I do think though that some lines should be more clear to kinddaaa give a little snippets as to what exactly I'm talking about.

Have an awesome day!!



User avatar
760 Reviews


Points: 31396
Reviews: 760

Donate
Tue May 23, 2017 5:12 pm
ExOmelas wrote a review...



Hey there,

I think the main issue with this is clarity. Like, individually your lines are good and have emotional potential, but I'm struggling to connect them all together to get the benefit of that. What I can tell is that your narrator is angry at someone for something (I'm not sure what) and is killing them (though I'm not sure how). I don't necessarily have to know how they're being killed, but I definitely need to know why in order to feel anything towards the speaker.

Some thoughts on how to fix this:

Hint at what the speaker's victim has done. "you tickled their throats with your duster" is what I'm told, but idk what this means. You cleaned their throats? I think it would be worth just editing this line because it probably makes sense to leave the revelation to the end. That way I would be appalled by the speaker, who is being violent or something, but then I would be forced to question myself because I'd be shown their motivation. This would make me more emotionally conflicted and more engaged in your poem.

Your flow and metre are all fine though. Stanza lengths pretty good. I like the bits in square brackets. Sort of sounds like the speaker is convincing themselves that the victim deserves it.

Hope this helps,
Biscuits :)



Random avatar
Inmat19 says...


Thanks for this Biscuits, yeah, after showing some other people they seemed a tad confused as well. I hope with context this can be resolved and I will definitely fix those lines up. Cheers and have a nice day



ExOmelas says...


you too :)



User avatar
305 Reviews


Points: 431
Reviews: 305

Donate
Tue May 23, 2017 12:26 pm
speakerskat wrote a review...



Kat here to review for you, pardon typos my space-bar is broken.

Okay so I am a tiny bit confused, which isn't always a bad thing. I get that this is someone that the author hates and killed(?) or has gotten what they deserved through some means or another. I really appreciate the bracketed [you deserve this] it not only reinforces your point but it almost feels like the author might be trying to convince themselves that they truly deserved what they got. The third stanza is both my favorite and least favorite, I like how you were trying to contrast the cold day to the burning rage felt by the murderer (?) but that couplet just felt stained to me and hard to comprehend. Also, what do you mean by duster? I think the last line wraps the piece up nicely as it finalizes the hate and brings a sort of closure while also revealing the corrupt nature of the now deceased.



Random avatar
Inmat19 says...


Thanks for this review. So basically the whole poem is an irony and is supposed to be about the narrator who ends up killing someone who has largely inflicted discrimination and bigotry onto someone/something. It's actually an attempt to criticise Harper Lee's view on Justice in To Kill A Mockingbird (which is the reason I wrote the poem; for an assignment). It displays the unacceptability in justice when it comes to giving people what they 'deserve' and this has been shown through the whole metaphor of dust and temperature.

With reference to the "dust of deception", if I were to assume that the narrator is the deceiver, then it gives the image that the narrator has surrounded themselves with dust to the point where they are able to wear this dust as a mask. This brings forth imagery where the dust has congealed into clay, which can mean that this mask can morph into a variety of different of faces. But, since he's suffocating, that implies that the mask is taking over his face and covering his nose and mouth so he can't breathe. This image was a dig to depict how the victim's prejudice has clouded them to the point that someone had to murder them to bring forth justice.

Thanks again for review.




have u ever noticed how ugly rosy-lipped batfish r? and not like in the “aw ur so ugly ur cute” way that like opossums r — no they’re just hideously ugly beasts that should never have existed and r the epitome of evolution fails. the stupidity, blank look, head emptiness. they’re horrible n everyone who likes them r horrible too. they truly have the worst fan-base >:[
— Shady