The Night Witch - Chapter 4: Nadya (August 1950)

by ImaginaryPoet

Chapter 4: Nadya (August 1950)

He catches up to me, and we walk shoulder-to-shoulder for a while, the air silent except for the gentle whirrs of the bugs around us.

“I - I do not know…” Max pauses, clearly searching for the right word.

Rosiyskiy?”

He throws me a questioning glance and I quickly switch back to German. “Russian?”

“Ah.” He nods, then looks up at me. “You know German?”

I hesitate, wondering how much I want to tell this man. Afterall, I know nothing about him, or what he wants with me.

“My… my Mama was German,” I decide, only telling him the basics. “She taught it to me when I was young. I am a little… rusty. I did not listen well.” Max laughs at this, and I feel my face flush. We are quiet for a while longer before then he speaks again.

“So you’re Nechlexen? The one in Belarus?”

“There is only one of us here?”

“According to my research.”

I pause, turning his words over in my mind.

“You are researching us?”

“The Night Witches, yes. I - well, I’m looking for one of you. Maybe you can help me find her?”

“Who is it that you are looking for?”

“Natalya?”

“I knew many Natalyas. Sokolova, Federova, Morozova. One of our flight commanders was Natalya Meklin.”

“Smirnov?”

I nearly choke on my own breath and have to take a minute to control it again.

“Smirnova?” I say shakily, praying that he had simply mispronounced it.

But the universe has no hesitation as it continues its relentless crusade against me.

Ja. You knew her?”

One breath after another, I remind myself. Paranoia is not always the best route.

“Maybe. The name does sound familiar.” I furrow my brow, keeping my eyes firmly locked on the path in front of us. “Why are you looking for her?”

Max is silent for a minute before answering, his voice sharp as a blade when he does. “I’d like to talk to her about something. Something personal.”

“Personal?”

Max turns to me then, stopping, and I nearly trip over myself to stop as well.

“Did you ever kill anyone while you were a Nechlexen?”

I open my mouth to speak, and then shut it again, the question catching me completely off guard. “Of course, that was our job. I suppose I have never thought about it before.”

“Was it ever personal?”

Nyet, I do not think so. I...” I pause, a face flashing across my vision. “They would have done the same if our roles were reversed.”

Sighing, Max turns and continues walking. I quickly point him in the correct direction and we walk in silence for a while.

“Natalya Smirnova killed someone very close to me.”

Izvinite, I do not want to press, but who… who was it?”

Max doesn’t respond, and I bite back a sigh before continuing to walk in silence.

-----------------------------

When we arrive at my home, Max stays outside while I go inside to drop off what’s left of my groceries. I offer for him to come inside, but he politely declines and instead leans against the rail, gazing out into the soft silence.

I set my food down and mindlessly prepare hot drinks for us.

I’m not stalling, I tell myself, but I know it’s not true. I don’t want to go back outside, back to the young man searching for answers.

Back to a past I promised never to visit again.

Why in hell did you even talk to him in the first place? I think to myself. He had saved me. I had to be nice to him. Right?

But the more I think about it, the more I refuse to admit it. Because for some reason, some inexplicable reason, a tiny part of my heart wants to go back.

Explore what I had.

Explore what I lost.

Explore what could have been.

-----------------------------

When I go back outside, the steaming cups are burning my hands and I nearly drop them as I rush to set them on the table.

“I would wait a bit before drinking that,” I warn Max. “Unless you would like to spend the next week nursing a burned tongue.” He chuckles, although I didn’t intend to be funny.

Picking up the cup, he blows on it first and leans away as his face is engulfed by a puff of steam. He takes a hesitant sip before emitting a noise that is something between a gargle and a yelp of pain. I chuckle as he takes deep breaths, pulling in cool air in a fruitless attempt to cool down the burn.

“You do not listen much, do you?”

Laughing, he sits back down and pushes the cup away from him.

“My Ma always told me that one day I would kill myself because I didn’t follow directions. I guess that that’s what she meant.”

“Yes,” I sigh. “Choking on boiling liquid… What a pleasant way to go.”

“I’ve seen worse,” Max says but I can tell that he immediately regrets it, though now I’m curious.

“What do you mean?”

Wincing, Max turns away. “I shouldn’t have said anything.”

I know I shouldn’t press, but I can feel frustration rising in me. Every time I seem to get close to learning something about this man, he quickly closes off again.

“I won’t judge you if you tell me.” Silence. Maybe, to find out anything, I would have to make the first move.

Sighing, I lean back in my seat. “I had a brother. We got a letter one day from his commanding officer, a few months before he was supposed to come home on leave.” I have to take a deep breath to keep my voice from rattling. “They said he died in a training exercise, but I have never really believed it.”

“I’m sorry,” is all he says, but I barely notice. It hadn’t been a good idea, to allow myself to remember that moment, but it was too late. A single tear streaks down my cheek and I’m about to excuse myself when he begins to talk.

“It was warm. I don’t know why I remember that, but it’s one of the main things that sticks in my mind. It was fairly warm, at least for October. I had taken leave to visit my family for the holidays, just for a week or so. When I got there, everyone but my brother was there. We went inside, had dinner, talked a bit. I got into an argument with my father. I…” Max’s jaw tightens and I don’t think he’s going to say any more.

Izvinite, I didn’t want to push,” I say, but he shakes his head.

“I’m fine. It’s just that… I never told him that I - I loved him. I left to look for my brother, and… and that’s when the bombs fell.”

My mouth parts but no noise comes out. He doesn’t have to tell me where the bombs came from. I already know and I’m ashamed of myself.

“My brother and I were fine. We made it into a shelter, but when we came out, everything was gone. The man who had sheltered us had gone back up to help others. We never found his body.

“When we got back to our house, Ruth was the only one left. Mama, Papa, Krista, Elise…” His voice cracks on the last name, and he pauses before continuing. “They were all gone. I left the Wehrmacht soon after that, discharged, and took care of Ruth while Klaus went off and joined the Luftwaffe. All we got was a box of all of his stuff, plus an apology letter from his commander - killed in action.”

Max’s voice has gone flat, and when I look at him, his face is emotionless.

“What was his name?”

Max looks up, startled and seemingly confused by the question.

“What was your brother’s name?”

“Klaus,” he whispers.

“Klaus Klein,” I mutter under my breath, but Max catches it.

“How did you know that?” He says, immediately on the offensive once again. Stammering, I grapple for a reply, one that will convince him and -

“Natalya told me.” It bursts out, and I immediately wonder how in hell I will explain this.

“You said that you didn’t know Nat-”

“I lied.” Sighing, I settle back into my chair, setting the now lukewarm drink onto the table. “Der'mo, I am sorry. I didn’t know what you wanted, I didn’t want to get anyone in trouble.” I take a deep breath, my eyes brimming with hot tears.” I did know her. We were in the same regiment for a while. One day, her plane went down, taking her and her navigator… They both went down in the crash. When they came back, they were spinning tales of a German boy, a soldier who had saved their lives. Klaus Klein. No one believed them, of course. A German, the enemy, saving two downed, nearly dead Russian pilots? If he had killed them, he would have gotten medals and been promoted, but instead, he decided to help and rescue them? It was obviously a lie, but…”

“But it wasn’t.”

I look up, meeting Max’s gaze, then look away again.

“Klaus was always kind, too kind to be a soldier. He would never hurt anyone just for a medal,” he says, staring at me intently, but I can’t meet his eyes.

“She killed him,” I whisper. “She killed him so they could get away.” And only ever told one other person, I think to myself. Sighing, I let my head thud lightly on the wall behind me. “So why did you come to me? Why did you think I would know where Natalya went after the war?”

Max chuckles and I look up at him, confused.

“That, I’m afraid, has a more embarrassing answer. Most of the Nechlexen stayed in Moscow after the war, and as I’m sure you’ve noticed, my Russian isn’t the best.” I snorted at that, remembering our pitiful conversation back by the market.

“I believe that is an understatement.”

“And I believe I didn’t ask you. Anyway,” he says, dragging the word out, “I’d heard rumors about a town harboring a female ex-Soviet pilot. So I thought I wouldn’t be nearly as embarrassed if I went to a smaller city and tried to talk in Russian, than if I went to the capitol itself.”

“Well, you still embarrassed yourself,” I laugh, and Max rolls his eyes.

“Well, supposing I can trust you to not embarrass me further, do you know of a place where I can stay the night?” He asks, and I internally groan.

“I have to admit, I am slightly biased against most of the businesses in town. I suppose Mr. Zhuk next to the market has been kinder than most, though. It’s only about a half kilometer west of where we first met. You remember how to get there?”

Nodding, Max drains the last of his now cold drink and stands.

“Straight down this road and a left at the pub?”

Da. Once you pass the market entrance, keep going straight. You can’t miss it.”

Danke sehr, Nadya…”

“Petrova,” I say, and we both smile.

Danke sehr, Frau Petrova.” And with that, Max turns and walks down the steps, leaving me feeling lighter than at the beginning of our conversation. And yet I can still feel a noose slowly tightening around both of us. I stay outside for a little while more, sipping my cold drink and trying to clear my mind of the day's events. But all I can think about is two faces, nearly identical, with wavy brown hair, a smattering of freckles, and a smile that could melt the coldest of hearts.

Natalya Smirnova killed Klaus Klein,” I whisper to myself before turning and heading back inside.

Natalya Smirnova killed Klaus Klein.

keystrings wrote a review...

Hello there!

I saw that this has been in the Green Room for a while, and I figured I could stop by and give you some advice.

I think I am a bit surprised that Max is so open with Nadya, but I had thought they were both teenagers when I first read through this, judging by their dialogue and how they interact with each other. A drawback from using the first person is that I really can’t get a glimpse of how Max looks/his body behavior/etc, some of those visual tells can be really interesting to read/be able to “see.” Because of that, I kind of want to exaggerate some parts of Max’s behavior, in how he sits/speaks/goes through a thought process, as I want to learn more, if that makes sense.

In addition, I want to se more description! I think trains are fascinating, and I’d love to read more about how this train is: do they see much outside of the train? If they’ve spent hours already on the trip, can they tell any major differences from where they left? Is the train old? New? Long? Often used/regular transportation, or is this a train to a very specific route that not many use? (I feel like Sheldon from Big Bang Theory, but I want to know more!)

Lastly, I think I’m just curious about the world build-up here — I know Max is German, and I guess a Nazi soldier. I assume his family/village was attacked by Allies soldiers? Oh, okay, so Max and Nadya are most likely speaking English between the two of them — which also, is an interesting story detail! Even with Max being against the more-often-English-speaking Allies, he learned their language.

Hmm, this was a curious chapter and story. Until next time, and enjoy the banner.

mellifera wrote a review...

Hey ImaginaryPoet!

Happy RevMo! I hope you don't mind if I drop by for a review on this lovely evening :)

I haven't read any of the previous chapters, so if there's anything that I've misinterpreted because of that, I apologise in advance!

Next to me, my new traveling companion, Nadya Petrova, sits similarly, but with much more of a commanding aura.

Rather than telling the reader about the way that Nadya's posture conveys her commanding aura, show them how/why. Does she sit with her back straight, her chin up? Does she put her arms on the backrest of the seat and spread out so she takes up more room? Does she meet everyone else's gaze head on, like it's a challenge? What is it about her posture that makes her posture "commanding"?

an older gentleman who is fast asleep and snoring like a toad at midnight

I'm not sure exactly how snoring could sound like a toad at midnight but I kind of love this anyway?

We are on a train headed for Ryazan, a small town midway between Moscow, where Nadya says most of the Nightwitches relocated after the war, and the old Nightwitch airbase, where she says we should be able to talk to someone who knows what may have happened to Smirnova.

Since this is chapter five, I'm going to push that this should have already been introduced-- and not at all once either. I don't know what happened in previous chapter,s but this is being described like these characters/what's going on in this chapter is a beginning/introduction, and when you're five chapters in, it shouldn't still feel like chapter one. Why wouldn't the reader already know they were going to Ryazan? Why didn't Nadya say, in a chapter, about this information about the Nightwitches? This seems like a premeditated goal, so I'm wondering why it's being introduced as though this is all new information.

(also, because I'm curious, why are the Nightwitches referred to as the "Nightwitch" all one word in the prose, but "The Night Witch" separated in the title?

My conversation with Nadya last night had proved to me that a little more studying was in order before I reach the motherland herself.

You get very long-winded with explaining things? The whole first paragraph could have been much shorter, but just this line for example, could be: "It became apparent talking to Nadya last night that I was due for some touch up." <- the reader already knows they're going to Russia since you've mentioned it, and the way you wrote it has fillers you don't need ("a little more" "was in order"). There are shorter ways to say this!

I say this from the perspective of someone who writes too much, and maybe that's not the case for you! But even so, there should be more substance to what you're writing in your prose as opposed to long-winded filler that doesn't actually have an impact on what's going on (if it can be written in a shorter way). Of course, there are liberties to this, but just keep this in mind!

She pauses, frowning to herself.

"She pauses" isn't really necessary, since the description of her frowning is pausing the sentence already.

“Not much. But I had to stop you before you completely destroyed my favorite dish.” Rolling my eyes, I smile, and, to my surprise and delight, she does too.

Since this part is describing your MC's (Max's?) perspective now and not Nadya's actions, it should be on a new line. When one character has dialogue, you generally put any actions they take right after the dialogue to attach it altogether, and when a new character starts doing anything, you move to a new line. It keeps that perspectives/characters a lot clearer, and while it's not as much of an issue in first person, it's still a pretty good general guideline to follow!

It's the same thing here:

“So the great Russian pilot likes - how do you say it - cart-oh-full-noy pure-eh?” She grimaces and pulls the book away from me.

“How about just not saying anything unless it is completely necessary while we are in Moscow, yes?”

or maybe you could,,,, help him,,,,, just a thought

Her grip on the book is like steel, and after a few tugs, I give up and turn to a different topic.

This is, just as before, an unnecessary edition. By following the line with dialogue that is of a different topic than the one they had been speaking of previously, it's already showing that Max is changing the topic. Writing in things and then following them by actually displaying the described action waters down your writing and makes it weaker, so be mindful of this in the future!

I’d like to know something about the mysterious Natalya Petrova?”

The way this is phrased, I'm really not sure it should end in a question mark. If it had been "Would you tell me more about the mysterious Natalya Petrova?" <- that's a question, but "I'd like to" is more of a statement.

(Unless your character is the kind of person who makes everything a question, but Max doesn't strike me as that kind of character)

Maybe Natalya had been the name of one of her friends, dead in the war, or maybe it was her mom’s. It wasn’t my buisness anyway.

or... it's a nickname?

I have a story to tell.

This is another example of an unnecessary addition to the prose. I don't want to keep hammering on the same point so I won't mention it again unless it's a glaring problem, but I'm just suggesting that you keep in mind the old "tell vs. show rule" (and if it hasn't been explained well to you, I would suggest reading this article over in the Knowledge Base!

“Well,” I start, deciding what I want her to know. “I had two sisters and one brother, and I was the oldest in my family. I joined the Wehrmacht when I was about 18. I rose a bit through the ranks, well enough to stand out, but not fast enough that anyone knew me past my squadron. One day, well, one day we were ambushed. Most of the men didn’t make it out. I was driving a tank, so I had a bit of protection from the first round, which gave me just enough time to get out and barely escape with my life. I wandered for a bit, a a few of the other men from the battle joining me, until we finally found a German military base. They took us in, and I stayed there for about a month before I was given a 2 weeks leave to celebrate Erntedankfest with my family.”

It feels like, from previous conversation, that Max and Nadya aren't exactly familiar with each other/don't know each other well, so I'm kind of wondering why he's telling her his life story? Maybe he's just that open, but when I've known people for only a short while, I'm not going to start telling them everything about what's happened to me. Again, maybe Max is just that open about his life story and thinks this is an appropriate moment to tell her all this, and that's up to you, but I did want to make you think about it.

“That first night that I got there, my brother was out signing up for the war. I suppose, in a way, it ended up saving his life.” I drop my head into my hands, trying to suppress memories of that God-forsaken night.

“What happened?” Nadya is leaning forward in her seat, staring at me intently.

“Already enraptured in my story, I see.” Forcing a slight smile onto my face, I sigh. “The Nechlexen attacked the town. My house was just inside the area of where the bombs hit. Two of my sisters and both my parents were all killed, along with some of our neighbors. Klaus and I only made it because we had been out walking around and one of the bakers took us down to his cellar to hide. He… he didn’t make it either.”

I am going to be a little more pushy here, because this is very personal, and it baffles me that someone would be so honest about such raw and intimate memories, especially without pushing. Why is he telling her all this? Unless it really doesn't bother him. And of course, take this with a grain of salt, since I don't know how long they've known each other and I haven't read anything earlier so I don't have context.

her face horror-struck.

I know I said I wouldn't keep pointing out any telling vs. showing situations, but I just want to suggest this be written as something more akin to "her eyes wide and mouth parted as she stared at me" because it displays Nadya's horror, and we know how she reacts to this kind of information physically, rather than telling us "she looked horror-struck". It's harder to visualise for the readers this way.

But you said that he died before he would have had time to send a letter.”

When did he say that? He just said Klaus died (or rather implied), but not that there was any way that prevented him from sending letters beforehand. Unless, of course, this was from a previous chapter, in which case, ignore me.

Natalya Smirnova

Just to clarify, Max referred to Nadya as "Natalya Petrova", but there's...no connection between the two Natalyas, yes?

One of the biggest things (and I ALWAYS complain about this so you're getting my specialty) that I felt was lacking was setting? Maybe you've already described the train in a previous chapter, although I would doubt that since you described the train as if the reader had no idea they were getting on one at the beginning, but what do Max's surroundings look like? Are there colour schemes? Is there a carpet or is the floor metal? Are the windows clear or frosted or darkened? What does it smell like in there?
Description really gives way to a much more immersive experience for the reader, so I'd would highly recommend you include these kinds of things in your prose to enrich it!

This seemed like a very exposition-heavy chapter just so you could reveal Max's backstory, and if I had to suggest anything it would be that you spread out the details of Max's backstory more? I mean, you can put it all in one chapter in exposition form towards Nadya, but if you need it to give something clarity in the plot that ties into Max's backstory, I'd suggest having him think about it/remember memories at times/casually mention things. Slip it into the flow naturally. Again, I don't know how long Max and Nadya have known each other, nor the nature of their relationship, nor Max's personality enough to dictate what would be best for you here (not that I would be able to do that anyway, since it's your story and you know what your intentions are), but I might suggest this reveal comes later, or in more staggered pieces throughout the novel, so it doesn't feel like exposition to the reader.

Overall, I am curious about the Nightwitches and who they are, and what they're doing! There's not a lot of plot in that chapter (which isn't inherently bad!), so I'm unclear what's happening in the storyline, but hopefully there are pieces of my review that are helpful to you :)

If you have any comments or questions about anything I said, I'd be happy to clarify/discuss anything with you! Otherwise, have a wonderful day :D

Look, a good poem is a poem that exists. Any poem you write is better than the poem you don't.
— WeepingWisteria