z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Intoxicated

by ITSLEWIS


The desk was a non-descript shade of brown, splattered with the occasional ink blot and littered with the detritus of writing implements. Various sheets of lined paper and empty jars of ink lay upon the surface of the desk surrounding the outline of the poet, who had lowered his head upon the desk in a gesture of self-pity. Knotting his fingers in his faded hair he cursed, salty tears leaking from the sides of his well-worn eyes. He felt several of his hairs detach from his skull, sending a ripple of pain along his scalp.

The only ambient light within the room came from a candle, flickering beside his elbow. He placed one of his callused fingers upon the flame, feeling the light gently burn a mark into his finger.

He opened a bottle of wine, drinking directly from the neck, the wine sending a warm feeling of flame spiralling within him. He drank more, desperate to feel and taste the tongues of flame. He wrote in a slow cursive font, his forehead creased in desperation. “Narrator: See here the man, a bitter shell of life, his innards scooped out by the knife of love and dashed on the pavement, henceforth where it was devoured by beggars and orphans, before it was pushed down into the drains.”

Mildred. No Molly. He couldn’t remember anything apart from the taste of her lips, cloyingly sweet, like that of the rich wine she had kept in her cellar and shared with him after they kissed. Her name had begun with an M. M. M. M. And the way her fingernails had cut red tracks that looked like wine though tasted like rust into his cheek as she hissed for him to leave and returned her wedding ring to her finger.

He thought of the texture of her skin and the overpowering taste of the wine which had stained his teeth. “A love not held by an iron chain, is a love worth losing it is not? The candle that is allowed to burn out must undeniably be considered unimportant. The so called ‘love’ you feel, was nothing more than lust, caused by excess of wine and women.”

The poet fell asleep, tracks of salt etching his cheek, showing the consequences of wine and love. In his sleep he knocked over the candle with his elbow. The play scripts on the floor acted as fuel, feeding the frenzied flames, which grew hungrier. The flames ate the script, soaked with tears of salt. It ate his shoes and desk. The flame didn’t discriminate, spreading its light across the apartment. It ate the poet’s hands and eyes.

His last thought was that he loved her. Even if he couldn’t remember her name. He loved her.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
69 Reviews


Points: 893
Reviews: 69

Donate
Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:47 am
WillowCutz wrote a review...



Hello, Willow here, aka the llama overlord. I will warn you right now that I'm an asexual writer, so I have no real interest or experience in romance for me, but I do write asexual romance and I love softer romance teen novels, so I'll try my best here.

First off you have a very formal voice in this peice, which is fine, but the first paragraph feels more like you were putting fancier words in just becuase they're fancier. "Detritus" and "a non-descript shade of brown" I'm sure they describe the scene just fine, but they feel out of place when you were really only using these kinds of words in the very begining.

Second, tearing out his hair sent a "ripple of pain across his hairline"? Ripple doesn't seem like the right word, maybe a moment of pain or a sudden pain, but ripple doesn't seem right especially since you have nothing to indicate a water metaphor in here.

Third, why was he putting his finger in the candle, sure it made since in the end when he burned to death (which also seemed to be HORRIFICALLY out of place for the tone of the story) but really? Burning his finger? Really? That doesn't seem gentle to me.

Lastly the poet falling asleep was sudden. It,s like he poured out his soul on the paper and his head smacked down on the table.

I did enjoy the poetry in the story and the descrpition of his lover though, don't get me wrong.




Ronald559 says...


What in the world is an asexual writer, and an sexual romance writer?

I agree with you. Fancy words for the sake of being fancier. It doesn't feel organic. It's trying to impress.
Overall the story was a little too dramatic for me. Love is such a strong emotion, and that loss is torture. But I enjoy the simple reaction, drinking and burning in flames is... extreme. Like Romeo and Juliet. Anyway, I felt the need to respond. Dramatic, but insincere. Sorry, I know that's harsh. You're not a bad writer, I just didn't like this story.



WillowCutz says...


I,m asexual. It,s my sexual orientation. I'm not attracted to anyone



User avatar
359 Reviews


Points: 455
Reviews: 359

Donate
Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:20 pm
steampowered wrote a review...



Hello, steampowered here for a review! I’m assuming this is the first work you uploaded to YWS, so congratulations on posting it!

Wow… this was… fantastic. Just fantastic. I loved this so much. The imagery, the poignancy of the ending, and your writing style is excellent. This is going to be a really short review, because I could hardly find anything wrong with it. It’s an amazing talent to be able to tell a story in so few words (as I often ramble on to those who write short stories) and this tells a story of love, loss and heartache with so little dialogue, just using the descriptions and vivid imagery, like a poem. In fact, this is almost like a poem rather than a story. I like it!

I have just a couple of nitpicks:

whom had lowered his head upon the desk in a gesture of self-pity


I’m fairly sure this is meant to be “who”.

No Molly.


Comma in between “no” and “Molly” otherwise the meaning changes.

And the way her fingernails had cut red tracks that looked like wine though tasted like rust into his cheek as she hissed for him to leave and returned her wedding ring to her finger.


Returned her wedding ring to her finger? So this lady was married, and having an affair with the poet. However, the sentence feels a bit… clunky? Maybe reword it so it’s easier for the reader to understand. I’d love to know more about the relationship between the woman and the poet, but I understand that this is a short story and is wonderfully brief as it is anyway.

Erm, so yes. I don’t know if this was at all helpful, and you’ve got so many reviews on this already (congratulations on that, by the way, and you really do deserve more likes) but I guess that’s my two cents. Keep writing, and feel free to let me know if you ever upload anymore to the site! :D




User avatar


Points: 428
Reviews: 3

Donate
Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:16 pm
BethsLlama says...



This story was really sweet. I wanted to know the story of his love, and how it came to be for them to have a really big place in his heart.




User avatar
325 Reviews


Points: 689
Reviews: 325

Donate
Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:45 pm
tigeraye wrote a review...



Alright, this will be a really short review. Overall, I find this to be really well written. Your imagery is really powerful and you have a really unique, almost profound, professional style. I just like the way you write as a whole.

He felt several of his hairs detach from his skull, sending a ripple of pain along his hairline.


I would change hairline to "scalp" or head. I don't know, "hairs detach from his skull, hairline" just sounds redundant to me. You already said his hair detached, use the actually part of his body that would be in pain for better imagery, a hairline isn't really the thing that would feel pain.

feeling of flame spiraling within him. He drank more, desperate to feel and taste the tongues of flame.


This is a weird sentence. I would use "feeling of fire" instead of "feeling of flame". I think fire is more of an adjective, while flame tends to be an actual object. Or you could use "feeling of flames spiraling within him." and then "taste the tongues of the burning fire." Just try to vary it up a bit.

I hope you upload more, this is really powerful and you have a great style. Nice job on this piece bud.




User avatar
30 Reviews


Points: 574
Reviews: 30

Donate
Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:09 am
micamouth wrote a review...



Hello, I'm going to point out a few things that kind of bothered me while reading this.

…He felt several of his hairs detach from his skull, sending a ripple of pain along his hairline…


Perhaps, instead of using skull here, scalp would fit better. I'm being incredibly nitpicky here, I know ;3

…And the way her fingernails had cut red tracks that looked like wine though tasted like rust into his cheek…


This? I had to read it a few times to properly understand it. I'm assuming she slapped him, so maybe describe pain, emotional and physical, to clarify what she actually did to him. Apart from that, nothing wrong here.

Otherwise, this is a very nice little story, and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it, about how his own emotions were inspiring him to write. Lovely work!




User avatar


Points: 487
Reviews: 4

Donate
Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:26 am
sueme wrote a review...



Wow, this is a really nice story! I thought it was nicely written. No grammatical errors or misspelled words and the quality of the writing is stellar. You also were very vivid with your description of everything happening to the poet and the taste of the wine.

However, I would have liked to see more attention on who the character was. I know that the story was to keep the poet more anonymous, but I would have like to know more about him. Overall, I think the story is great, even without knowing more about the character!




User avatar
347 Reviews


Points: 25558
Reviews: 347

Donate
Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:44 pm
OliveDreams wrote a review...



Hi ITSLEWIS. Welcome to YWS and of course, welcome to the family. I’m here to review your short story!

Things I liked;

Your opening paragraph. I love it. Great description & it has already given me a good impression as to what kind of writer you’re going to be.

You shocked me that this poet is drowning in this self pity over a woman that he can’t even remember. A good twist on something that could have been cliche.

I love that his own self pity causes the fire that swallows him. It’s a fitting end.


Things I think you could improve;

Where you’ve said that the poet puts his fingers on the flame - I think it would be great if you would add a little note about how the small burn made the poet feel. Did he even notice the pain? Or is he too numb to let it bother him? Did he like the pain? Or does he do it to just feel something?

Again - I feel that there should be some note on how the poet reacts to the fire. Does he even twitch in his sleep at the licking flames? Nothing?

Alas - I wish it had been longer!

Good luck! Let me know if you have any questions. Happy to chat anytime.

Olive <3




User avatar
9 Reviews


Points: 1620
Reviews: 9

Donate
Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:03 pm
RedInk wrote a review...



Wow... This was pretty powerful.. I finished reading it and no words could come to mind. I really enjoyed it and I totally understand it. Every paragraph, I could just feel all these emotions that you were writing. I haven't read something like this in a long time and I'm glad I found this. Just, amazing...

The feelings you described in this were near flawless. Like I said, I felt like the poet for a second, I could literally feel his frustration. And,that part about what the narrator in his writing was saying was well detailed, I even chuckled at the 'devoured by beggars and orphans' part a bit, eheh...

The only thing that caught me off guard was, 'tracks of salt etching his cheek.' It wasn't until I finished the story that I realized it was a metaphor for tears.

Other then me being slow to catch that, I really loved reading this and am glad I read it. You write how I wish to write, with a lot of passion in every sentence, meaning in every word, (or, at least that's what I felt when reading this). I'd love to see more of your work.

Awesome job on this, my friend~





My tongue must tell the anger of my heart, or else my heart, concealing it, will break...
— Katherine, The Taming of the Shrew