12+

Rude Awakening

by HorsiiAD

Rude Awakening

“Get up. That’s right you, with the face. GET UP.” After the boot roughly hits my side I groggily wake up. I remember the bomb I had to deactivate. That would be my top priority but my captor has a knife and my hands are bound. I scan the room I am in and see a camera, my captor with a knife, concrete walls, an iron door with a lock and the numbers 001 on it, a rusted metal ventilation screen, and a TV. On the TV screen, I see a man with a pistol aimed at Bob, my partner, in a replica of my containment room -- but there is 010 on the door instead. The words “Hey You!” snap me back to the current problem. “Are you deaf? I asked you what your job is,” my captor shouts in my face.

Deciding that it’s not confidential information, I reply, “I am an engineer for the war.”

My captor absorbs my words and asks me another question “Do you know anything about Utopia’s secret weapons?” After a few seconds of silence, he includes “I know you would guard that secret with your life, but your friend here could be saved if you just tell me this one secret.” Still more silence. “OK then,” he says, “I’ll leave you to think this over. I hope you would make the right decision next time we meet,” and leaves the room.

With the time I have left alone, I think about my wife and 5 year old son. My thoughts drift to the war. President War of Olympia was out to take over the whole world. Olympia’s main enemy and threat is Utopia, where many of the highest technological and scientific advances take place. President Peace of Utopia negotiated with President War to try to avoid conflict but the battle continued. After the meeting, President Peace tried to make as much allies as he could while President War tried to destroy the blockade of enemies standing in his way. Now here I am, in Olympia, trying to defend Storma’s capital from an atomic missile. Storma, one of Utopia’s first allies, is the richest country in the world. It contains an abundance of gold, steel, iron, coal, diamonds, and precious mineral mines. Governments include tyranny in Olympia, democracy in Utopia, and aristocracy in Storma. Now back to the present, how am I going to get out of this base alive with my friend? Before I could make any real plans, I find myself drooping and closing my eyes for the night.

When I open my eyes for a new day, I find myself looking at fingers snapping at me. A new person to interrogate me -- great. I look around and the TV isn’t on. What did they do to Bob? I think. “Hey. Listen hear,” the guy whispers, “I turned off the camera for a while.” He puts a pocket knife in my tied up hands and tells me, “My time’s up. Good luck.” He walks out of the room to be replaced by General Tanner – who I’ve seen leading the attacks against Storma.

Good morning,” greets the general in a cold voice, “I hope you had a good night sleep because you certainly won’t have one tonight. Now, I’m going to only ask this once. What are Utopia’s secret weapons and where are they located?”

I only know that they were given to our allies so that President War would have to target many countries and not only Utopia,” I reply as I start to secretly cut the ropes binding my hands together using the knife. “Enough of this foolish talk, I know they aren’t not in Storma or with anyone else. President Peace wouldn’t give weapons of mass destruction to his allies -- they would turn on him right away if he no longer had his advantage” General Tanner exclaimed. “Now I want to know the real information about your weapons otherwise your friend here,” he says as he flicks the TV on, “won’t be living.” My eyes widen and my heart pounds when I see Bob unconscious with bruises all over his body, second degree burns on his legs, and a gash on his head oozing blood. I quickly cut the last rope binding my hands together.

This is payback for my friend,” I say as I slice the knife across his throat. General Tanner drops to the ground with a thump, his skin turning pale blue. The two soldiers guarding the door rushes in after seeing my murder through the barred window. They tackle me to the floor as I stab them with the knife. One of them takes out his gun and tries to shoot me -- but ends up shooting his friend who is on top of me. While using the dead soldier as a shield, I throw the knife at the other guard. He drops to the floor dead. I unscrew the metal ventilation screen off the wall and crawl through the duct. My heart pounds from having just murdered the general with his guards and my muscles tense up, but I think to myself, “They deserved to die.”

As I move through the duct, I see the numbers on the doors increasing. I also notice there is no one in most of the cells -- we must be in a new base. I spot the number 010 on a door and look through the screen. The soldier aiming the pistol at Bob is still there and the camera is also on. I quietly unscrew the metal screen off and throw the knife that I used to cut my ropes with at the soldier. The soldier drops to the floor with a knife in his head as Bob turns around in surprise. I throw the ventilation screen at the camera -- smashing it. I untie Bob and he quickly thanks me. Then, I pull him up, help him through the opening to the duct, and crawl in after him.

As we crawl, the cells become quarters. “Do you think we could find a map in one of these rooms?” Bob asks.

We probably could,” I answer.

As we crawl through the ducts, we pass rooms crowded with soldiers. Eventually we come across one with only a single soldier. We exit into the quarter and knock him out using the butt of the knife. I search the room for anything that might be useful while Bob searches the soldier. I come across a closet filled with extra uniforms and a drawer with a pistol. “We hit the jackpot,” I call to Bob, “we can disguise ourselves as soldiers and blend into the crowd.” “Perfect,” Bob says, “I found a phone here in this guy’s pocket. I wonder if we might find anything useful on it.”

We quickly change into the black soldier uniforms, Bob grabs the pistol, and I begin hacking into the phone. I took off the back cover and rearranged a few wires; it took me to the “change your password” screen. I changed the password to 123456789 and clicked the back button which took me to the main screen. On the phone, we find a basic map of the whole base and an ID badge. “I don’t think there is anything else in here, and we should probably leave before anyone else comes in,” Bob says.

You’re right, let’s see if we can head over to the explosive’s room. Maybe we still have a chance to deactivate the bomb.”

As we walk along the hallway, we blend in easily with the other soldiers – no one suspects that we are enemy troops who are about to bring down their entire operation. We make a right turn and walk down another hallway, stopping in front of the door saying ‘Explosives Room’. “Do you have a plan?” Bob asks.

We bust in, kill everyone, deactivate the bomb, and then go with the flow,” I answer.

If we get caught or die, I want to tell you it was nice working with you,” Bob says.

You too. Let’s go and do this,” I reply. I could hear my heart racing as I open the door using the ID on the phone and walk into the room.

When we enter, one scientist is directing two others on how to rewire the bomb. Bob shoots the lead scientist while another one takes a look at us and runs toward the emergency button. Bob fires at him before he hits the button and then aims at the other scientist cowering against the humongous bomb meant for Storma. “Please spare me,” he whimpers.

Fine -- stand right there so that I can see you. Bob, guard the door,” I say. I run over to the bomb sitting in the middle of the room and start deactivating it for good.

As I pull the final wire off the bomb, the scientist who we spared manages to sneak around the room to the emergency button. I shout, “Hey!” and Bob tries to shoot him but he is too late -- the alarm has been set off. Five soldiers rush into the room with guns raised. Bullets fly across the room, bouncing off the walls and we duck behind the bomb I was deactivating. ‘Three soldiers dead. Two more to go,’ I think. One soldier is shot down by Bob but the other soldier shoots my right arm. I groan and drop to the floor. Bob finishes off the other soldier and helps me to my feet. We exit the room and blend into the chaos out in the hallway.

I push through the stream of soldiers while gripping my injured arm. People fly by, too distracted to notice my arm wound. After walking through the maze of hallways and people, I spot an emergency exit. “Let’s get out of here,” I whisper to Bob while pointing at the exit. We shove our way past the river of soldiers and push through the door. Finally. We’re free!

Within a few seconds in the hot, dry desert air, my clothes are already soaked in sweat. “What are we going to do now?” I ask Bob.

The data and phone lines are probably monitored here so we can’t call anyone for help. Let’s head out into the desert and hope we come across some town,” Bob replies.

We don’t have any food or water,” I grumble and start to follow Bob across the desert. After a day of miserably walking over sand dunes and under the harsh bright sun, we come across a small town willing to lend us water and horses. We continue our journey across the desert on horseback through the night and day till we reached Silverleaf. “We make it!” I cried “We’re finally back home!” We hugged each other and called the general to pick us up on the cellphone. ‘We’re finally home,’I think.

fantasywestern wrote a review...

Right from the get go, this is a fantastic way to introduce your characters and their personalities. Having your narrator, who is in a military role, take stock of their surroundings as soon as they are able is very realistic, and it's a great way to get readers hooked when they feel the danger that the narrator is in.
his skin turning pale blue

just being nitpicky, skin takes a while to turn pale or even blue following death, even if they've had extreme trauma to the arteries that results in death.
I really enjoyed the fight scenes, it shows just how competent your narrator is, even for an engineer. The use of throwing knives was a nice touch, too, they're incredibly overlooked in fiction, I think.
All in all, this is a good piece with relevant exposition and written with an easily readable style. One thing I will say is that there are a few typos here and there than can disrupt the flow of it, but that's really all I can think of to point out.

tigeraye wrote a review...

“Get up. That’s right you, with the face. GET UP.” After the boot roughly hits my side I groggily wake up.

That's a strong way to open a story, but two things: First off, to show a character speaking loudly, always italicize text instead of using uppercase. Also, if this is present tense he should be actually feeling the pain of a kick in the face, not just telling us about it.

I remember the bomb I had to deactivate.

That's really good; you waste no time getting into the drama. Both the title and the first paragraph are really well done at grabbing eyes with excellent word choice and strong visuals.

I think it'd do you good to use some more emotion in the dialogue. You had it right in the first paragraph, but not so much here.

e seen leading the attacks against Storma.

“Good morning,” greets the general in a cold voice, “I hope you had a good night sleep because you certainly won’t have one tonight.

ooh hoo hoo.

“This is payback for my friend,” I say as I slice the knife across his throat. General Tanner drops to the ground with a thump, his skin turning pale blue. The two soldiers guarding the door rushes in after seeing my murder through the barred window. They tackle me to the floor as I stab them with the knife. One of them takes out his gun and tries to shoot me -- but ends up shooting his friend who is on top of me. While using the dead soldier as a shield, I throw the knife at the other guard. He drops to the floor dead. I unscrew the metal ventilation screen off the wall and crawl through the duct. My heart pounds from having just murdered the general with his guards and my muscles tense up, but I think to myself, “They deserved to die.”

WOW, that's an intense scene, and I like the main character here. A couple things here:

I say as I slice the knife across his throat. General Tanner drops to the ground with a thump, his skin turning pale blue.

Now this is kind of nitpicky, but when I think of a throat being slashed, I think there would be a lot of blood. But for some reason in your description, there's no blood anywhere. Not on the character or anything.

One of them takes out his gun and tries to shoot me -- but ends up shooting his friend who is on top of me.

I would change "tries to shoot me" into "fires a round at me", just because the wording spoils that the main character isn't shot.

The soldier drops to the floor with a knife in his head as Bob turns around in surprise.

Nice aim x_x

huh? I was expecting a climax and they're just like "yay, we're out." That's odd. Overall this is a really enjoyable piece, it has high drama, a really intriguing main character and an intelligent plot. Really great work, you have an awesome way of building tension around high stake situations. I hope to be able to read more from you.

HorsiiAD says...

Thanks tigeraye for the review. I agree I should put more emotion in the dialogue and add more description to each scene. The ending was abrupt because I tried to wrap things up so I hope I have more time to extend the story or write part 2.

Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:02 am
MrMuddyPig wrote a review...

Great story! I like the story about escaping jail. Now since this story was kind of long, then same thing about this review, I hope you enjoy it:

First of all, you need a couple of spaces in the first sentence before starting a paragraph. I don't really know why, but that's a rule.

Second of all:
(Deciding that it’s not confidential information, I reply, “I am an engineer for the war.”) should be:

(All thought it was a secret, I replied back anyways , " I am the engineer guy for the war.") I added "guy' because that how people in real life really speak like, but it's not really needed.

Third of all,(butt of the knife.) I have no idea what you mean by that, but I think you mean the back of a knife, Right? (Correct me if I am wrong.)

Fourth of all,(We quickly change into the black soldier uniforms,) should be
(We quickly changed back to our black soldier uniforms,)

Fifth of all:(“If we get caught or die, I want to tell you it was nice working with you,” Bob says.) is not really needed but it's ok, i guess.

Sixth of all:(and called the general to pick us up on the cellphone. ‘We’re finally home,’I think.) needs a we before called.

Other than those mistakes, you're doing fine, now keep writing with your great mind.

~MrMuddyPig

HorsiiAD says...

Hi MrMuddyPig! I agree that my dialogue needs to be less formal. I'll try working on that for next time. Thanks for the review!

RubyRed wrote a review...

Hello, HorsiiAD! I really enjoyed your story and didn't think this was a waste of my time at all (which usually is the case). Anyway, I enjoyed the struggles they went through to escape the jail cells and the way you kind of rushed your writing there to make it a bit intense. Even though these things led to a good story I believe you should make this a bit longer or make a second part and entitle it "The Journey Home" or something because I really wanted to read more and I felt like the ending was too rushed you should say what happened when they journeyed home. But this was great all the same and I hope to read more from you in the near future.

Keep writing and NEVER get discouraged! (:

~Wonder

HorsiiAD says...

Hi Wonderwoman! I hope I have the time to continue the story and write part 2. The ending was a bit rushed because I wanted to finish this story and start on another work. Thanks for the great review and keep on writing!

Steggy wrote a review...

Stegosaurus here for a review!

I liked the title and that seemed to drag me as a reader- that seems to be the main part of a good book, would be the title. I also liked the beginning of this yet I feel it fell short of dragging me in- and it seems to have some mistakes in the beginning. But some things I liked about this piece is it seems like a war is happening, and I feel like the scene where the MC kills the General and the guards seems a bit unrealistic for my taste. I would suggest trying to read up on some killing scenes or something.

As I continue reading this, I feel like this dragging away from the main point (but I did enjoy reading this short story).

With the time I have left alone, I think about my wife and 5 year old son. My thoughts drift to the war. President War of Olympia was out to take over the whole world. Olympia’s main enemy and threat is Utopia, where many of the highest technological and scientific advances take place. President Peace of Utopia negotiated with President War to try to avoid conflict but the battle continued. After the meeting, President Peace tried to make as much allies as he could while President War tried to destroy the blockade of enemies standing in his way. Now here I am, in Olympia, trying to defend Storma’s capital from an atomic missile. Storma, one of Utopia’s first allies, is the richest country in the world. It contains an abundance of gold, steel, iron, coal, diamonds, and precious mineral mines. Governments include tyranny in Olympia, democracy in Utopia, and aristocracy in Storma. Now back to the present, how am I going to get out of this base alive with my friend? Before I could make any real plans, I find myself dropping and closing my eyes for the night.

This is a good paragraph but too chunky. I know it explains the whole background of the MC but I feel like it is just repeating and going on and on without a stop. There are some unwanted sentences in this little paragraph. Like in the beginning; it is nice to know that the MC thinks about his wife but I don't think it doesn't move the plot along. I would try finding pieces of this to make it move the plot along. To me the whole paragraph doesn't seem to drag on the plot but that is my opinion.

Also I feel like the scenes where Bob and the MC are on a killing spree, doesn't seem realistic as well. And it is happens quickly- sometimes it is best just to lead up to the killing, not force it. ;)

Overall, I liked this piece. It just needs work- like most things do and hopefully this review helped you with it. If you need me to go over something in more detail, I'll be happy to!

Also Welcome to YWS!

Steggy

HorsiiAD says...

Hi Stegosaurus! I liked your comments about making the scenes more realistic and doing background research before writing. Also, I agree that I should lead up into main scenes rather than rush them. Next time I should work on those. Thanks for the review and I hope that you keep writing!

“Christmas won’t be Christmas without any presents!”
— Little Women