Not That Funny

by Horisun

There's a book I've been reading
For a long couple years
Its about a group of Heroes
Exploring they're deepest fears

There's just one character
That drags the whole thing down
This stupid Comic Relief
This goofy, foolish clown

And here's the really silly thing
They're not even that funny
They come on stage, wreck the mood
Turning it glaringly sunny

But the other characters
They're the ones in the spotlight
They're the ones you care about,
They're the ones who fight the fight.

For example, the Warrior Athena,
Named for her mind; wisdom filled
She scours the broken wasteland,
For a New World that she can build.

Her Mother was killed in a raid
Many, many years ago
She swore she'd build a sanctuary.
For long lost children to go.

Then you have the Wise Wizard Dune.
Born before the world ended.
Every night, he looks to the sky
And prays for the Earth to be mended.

You also have Kind Elizabeth
Who will fight for life itself.
She doesn't sit idly by
Leave The World on a dusty shelf.

But then you have the Comic Relief,
Who is not even that funny.
So I have to ask you all why
 I look at them, and think of me.

Apologies for any silly errors, I'm writing this really late at night, when I should be asleep. But hey, that's just the Writers way, am I right?

Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:23 am
yumi wrote a review...

This was a good poem, solidly written, and yes it DOES suck when a character or element of the story doesn't quite mesh together...much like this poem doesn't quite work for me. For starters, I know that comedy is subjective and can be hard to explain, but I still don't understand WHY he doesn't work (plenty of books and TV have that one funny character who works just fine) or WHY he isn't funny. You need to explain, not just give an example I think, because giving examples to show how awesome the other characters were, didn't convince me they were so great. (In fact, one sounded like a character in a few episodes of Xena: Warrior Princess, a show which blends action and comedy really well.) Maybe if I knew the book you were talking about and had read it, the additional context would help me like this poem more, because you certainly have the poetic chops: I just think perhaps this topic needs more fleshing out, and is more suitable as the subject of an essay.

Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:39 am
stygianmoon17 wrote a review...

I loooved this poem !! there's just such a unique style to it. So lets begin with the review :p
The structure is really interesting, I can't even fathom how frustratingly difficult it must've been to edit your poem this way. I have no words.
Now on to the content, this is about a book clearly, but is it an actual book ? I thought it was Percy Jackson at first, with Athena and Elizabeth. But yeah, there's no Wizard Dune because wow that'd be weird. So is it a mix of different characters ? Is it about a book I've never heard about ? Or is it just random characters you made up ? Who knows.
For grammar, there isn't much to say, maybe except sometimes you add in majuscules as in "Kind Elizabeth" or "Comic Relief" when there is no need for those. Well unless she's called Kind and Comic Relief is actually the name of the character.
I really liked that someone finally talked about a comic relief and not the main characters or the villain or the sidekick or something, it's pretty refreshing. We get so used to bad comic reliefs that we don't realise their presence is just as important as any other MC in a book.
But really, not much to say, it's a simple, clean poem- and it's effective in it's own way.
Also, for a poem written the "writers way" (otherwise known as "in the middle of the night") this is really impressive ! and you also have weird poetry ideas at midnight 😂

Horisun says...

Thank you for the review!

Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:03 am
esthersanti1600 wrote a review...

Hi there! First of all, you should be so proud of yourself! Writing a poem with a rhyme scheme is no easy feat without making it sound forced, and I'd like to open by saying that you did a fantastic job. There are almost no rhymes in here that sound like you had to search for them with RhymeScheme, which is always a good sign.
I think that the message/story of this poem is joyously simple. You aren't trying to make something out of nothing and you aren't saying nothing, either. Your poem has a simple point that it proves easily and well without stretching, and it's a message that I think that many of us can relate to. Not sure if this is what you intended, but I definitely read this partly as sort of outgrowing a series that you've grown up with, which is a feeling I have experienced as well. It's always slightly sad to watch yourself grow up, but realizing that things really aren't that funny can sometimes be a moment of maturing.
Keep up the great work!!

Horisun says...

Thank you for the review!:D

I think the more you understand myths, the more you understand the roots of our culture and the more things will resonate.
— Rick Riordan