The Truth About O.C.D.

by Helena13

Obsessive compulsive disorder, known more commonly as O.C.D., is widely misunderstood. What most people think when they hear O.C.D. is a disorder which just makes someone a perfectionist. This, however, is not the case. This disorder can cause one to become obsessed with organizing everything, but that is not likely. Each case is different.

While the cause of O.C.D. is unknown, it is thought to be due to a neurological abnormality. Since the cause is unknown, treating it is nearly impossible. However, counseling can help cope with the symptoms.

Symptoms of O.C.D. vary. One case I’ve seen works as a wonderful example. Often, this young girl would feel the urge to put pressure on different things. Not a long, sometimes lightly brushing something, then doing it to the other side until she felt it was ‘right’. For example, when typing on a keyboard, sh would press on one key’s side, then the other. She did this until she deemed it to be correct.

The urge she felt wasn’t like a food craving. If she was not able to brush something or rub it a certain way, she would get enraged or simply break down sobbing. She admitted there was no reason behind it, but she simply felt something. “I can’t describe the kind of desperation it is. It’s more than your will to live. It has to be experienced, not explained” She says.

A method that can usually help the sufferer cope with their symptoms is called ‘controlled procrastination’. If the sufferer is getting ready for work in the morning and suddenly has O.C.D. thoughts, they can simply say to themselves ‘okay, let me brush my teeth and make breakfast, then I’ll do it’. This works when one is in a rush as the sufferer might be lucky enough to forget the ‘task’.

O.C.D. can manifest in other ways. Sometimes it can cause the sufferer to want to avoid certain sounds, textures, or patterns. For example, s sounds, p sounds, t sounds, certain facial expressions, and the all too common one, mouth noises. However, sometimes the stimulus only affects the sufferer if it comes from a certain person. Usually, it’s from some people, but not all. It’s entirely random, though. Walking down the street, a random person walking by could cause the stimulus but not the next.

While this is not an official name, many dub this form of O.C.D. ‘Misophonia’ which means ‘hatred of sound’. The name is misleading as they don’t hate all sounds. The sufferer feels trapped or sometimes their brain imagines pain. They feel in danger when they encounter this stimulus or their ‘trigger’. The sufferer often feels helpless or trapped when they can’t escape the stimulus. Since there is no treatment or cure, most who suffer from this are forced to suffer in silence. Many are forced to simply hide their reaction, but what they feel is real.

Misophonia and O.C.D. can be lived with, but the sufferer and those that he or she spends time with must change their routine and lifestyle. Few families are willing to do this, though. Since this often happens in children and teens, parents simply think they’re being dramatic or hormornal.

O.C.D. is a serious disorder. Next time you tell your friends you have O.C.D. because a crooked picture frame annoys you, try to remember those who actually have to live with such a disorder.

Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:16 am
Radrook wrote a review...

Thanks for sharing this informative essay about a very distressing illness that for some might prove to be extremely incapacitating. The unfortunate thing about such conditions is that people in general are prone to dismiss symptoms in the way you describe, being over dramatic, hormonal or in some cases weird or crazy. In short, being mentally ill elicits reactions from people that make matters worse since the reactions might involve mockery, impatience, name-calling and that's the least a person who suffers from such condition needs. Once the person is tagged as just crazy then he is dehumanized and once dehumanized he can be treated as if all courtesies are unnecessary or treated with disdain. After all, a crazy person will not notice if he is treated with disdain so what the heck.

In contrast other illnesses engender compassion from others.

I did wonder why you didn't mention the neurotransmitter anomalies that can trigger such obsessive thoughts and which can be treated with such medications as zoloft.

Zoloft For OCD
http://www.brainphysics.com/articles/ocd/zoloft-for-ocd

Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:36 am
Carlito wrote a review...

Hello! Welcome to the site! :D
I was intrigued by the title of this piece because I work in the mental health field and I'm always interested to read works about mental health.

I really like the overall sentiment of the piece. OCD is super misunderstood, and like you said in the piece, it's irritating to me when people say "oh I'm so OCD" but they really have no idea what it means to actually have OCD. Like you said, it's much more than being a perfectionist, and it can look very different depending on the person. Also like you said, it's important for people to understand what OCD really means because when people claim they have OCD because they like things to be lined up a certain way or they don't like a frame to be out of alignment, it can dismiss the real (and often debilitating) experiences that people with OCD have.

A few notes about OCD. There are two components to OCD and in order to have true OCD you must have both components - obsession and compulsions. Obsessions come in the form of intrusive thoughts. Everyone has intrusive thoughts. These are things like "oh I wonder what it would be like to touch this candle" or "hey that guy looks cute". Most of the time people dismiss those intrusive thoughts and don't pay them much attention. For people with OCD, for some reason their brain latches on to one of those intrusive thoughts and can't let it go. The intrusive thought is terrifying to them so they do compulsions in an effort to avoid the thoughts.

So a few examples:
-Someone has an intrusive thought about killing their family and is now terrified they are going to kill their family (obsession) so they avoid their family, all weapons, going to stores that might carry weapons, anything that might be dangerous (compulsions).
-Someone has an intrusive thought that their toilet is contaminated (obsession) so they extensively clean the toilet daily or avoid using that toilet or going into that bathroom or using anything that has come into contact with that toilet or that bathroom (compulsions).
-Someone has an intrusive thought that someone is going to break into their house (obsession) so they check the locks and doors and they have to do it a certain number of times before they go to bed or before they leave (compulsions).

It can vary widely. OCD really fascinates me because the brain latches on to this one random passing thought that most people would forget about and it completely takes over.

As for treatment, the best evidenced-based practice (as in supported by research) for OCD is cognitive-behavioral therapy (or CBT). In CBT, it's a two-pronged approach. The person learns how to challenge their maladaptive thoughts and not let their thoughts control them while also doing exposure therapy (crucial for OCD) to essentially face their fears. It's a very extensive process but it can do wonders for OCD.

Since your piece is an article/essay, one thing you might want to add are your sources and where you found the information you've included. That way, if people have questions or want to know more, they can easily turn to your sources. One easy way to do that on YWS is through adding in hyperlinks. Or, you could put different symbols into the work and then at the bottom have a key that shows this symbol = this link to a source. (So for example when you talk about the case in the third paragraph, you could put a * or something at the end of the paragraph and then at the bottom say *: and the link to wherever you found that information). I would also be happy to share some resources about OCD with you if you would like to learn more or if you would like to expand upon anything you talked about in this article.

Let me know if you have any questions or if there's anything you'd like feedback about that I didn't mention! :D

Helena13 says...

This was something I wrote after hearing someone say 'I'm so OCD' about cleaning their room. I got all information from personal experience. I wasn't aware of the two parts of OCD. In the case I mentioned, she was simply given fluoxetine. No therapy. It seems to work, but for her, the S sounds from her mother and random people are very bothersome. VERY. Do you have any idea about what the original obsession is based on the compulsions I described? With the s sounds I mean, because that's the main issue for her right now. This turned more into a question about how to help this person rather than a question on how to improve the article..

Carlito says...

I'm not super knowledgeable about meds but I know there are meds out there that can help with OCD as well :)
The obsession really could be anything. The thing about OCD is that the brain gloms on one random little thought and then goes haywire over it. The compulsion doesn't have to make logical sense and often people with OCD know that it doesn't make sense but they can't stop. Like if someone's obsession was that they're going to get sick if they eat food that will expire in two weeks and they compulsively check expiration dates on food, they might be able to rationally think that they're not likely to get sick eating food two weeks away from the expiration date, but they can't stop checking anyway. Or, the compulsion might become dangerous. John Green just wrote an awesome book called Turtles all the way down and the main character has OCD. Green himself struggles with anxiety and OCD so while it's not about his specific OCD, he's writing from a real place. That character is obsessed that she will get a rare bacteria and die so she compulsively sanitizes her hands and even drinks hand sanitizer (too much sanitizing can kill the good bacteria and make you susceptible to illness and drinking hand sanitizer is just downright dangerous). I really recommend that book because I think it's a really good portrayal of what it's like to be in the mind of someone with OCD.
As for helping this person - being a supportive friend can help a lot. Listening to them, being understanding of their illness (like not purposefully making the S sound because you know you'll get a rise out of them or something - not that you would do that!), standing up for them if need be, helping them find resources like support groups so they know they're not alone, etc.
Let me know if you have any other questions :D

Helena13 says...

What if her mom blames her for it and her mom never even considers what she feels? What if the s sounds are just in everyday speech and they bother her? What do I do then? The psychologist said that I just need to use 'intentional direction of mind' and not focus on it. What if no one believes me and it just hurts so much?

Helena13 says...

I'm sorry. Never mind.

It usually takes more than three weeks to prepare a good impromptu speech.