12+

The Alpha Pack: The Dawn of the Dead, Chapter 2

by HarryHardy

A Solution

(SONOTOS)

Conference Hall, Deepwater Xanthum, The Third Omegaverse. 20-07-2027. 2130

I took my seat as people began to trickle into the conference hall.

“Let’s begin,” I announced, ”since we started from 1 earlier, how about we begin from 72 this time. General Kalsikov, if you will.”

The only human being on the panel stood, and began detailing his suggestion.

As the dimensions gave their suggestions one by one, I categorized the similar ones into groups and noted down a list of the main ideas and the dimensions that had suggested them. Once about forty of them were done, I could see that there were mainly four ideas; Increases in training, increasing the number of superheroes, creating a committee to look into the increased attacks and focus on finding a pattern and creating a new special forces team. Most of the other ideas had lost traction quickly.

There were ideas ranging from an army of droids all the way to defense systems that could encompass each universe in the event of a takeover. However, the sheer budgeting issues that those ideas would bring ensured they were quickly rejected.

This new team idea and the committee idea were the ones that had received the most interest from the panel as a whole. A plan was forming in my mind, one that could perhaps combine these two so that it had the best chance to be voted as the course of action.I asked them to skip past me so that I could make a final statement. I waited for it to reach Sir Hartious. While I waited, I focused my attention to the fourth dimension again. A myriad of possibilities extended outwards from this moment, so many pathways the meeting could take. And behind it all, a dark cloud. There didn't appear to be a way around it but maybe, just maybe we could sneak through a crack. I redoubled my efforts in the few minutes directly after Sir Hartious' speech to ensure that I knew what I had to say. This Omegaverse wasn't going the way of the last two. Not again.

I stood up and made it a point to meet everyone's eyes before clearing my throat and beginning," There were many ideas presented but I believe two ideas clearly stand out: Forming a committee to investigate the matter or forming a new special forces team encompassing all the dimensions to act as a front line against the larger than usual threats that spring up. Now considering this, I think I can come up with a proposal that all of you will support." I paused for a few seconds to allow the anticipation to build up.

"I suggest that we form a team like you suggest. One that contains some of the powerhouses from across dimensions. They can also act as a committee investigating. We could get them a proper ship and base of operations and instead of responding to all threats they could investigate the bigger ones and check for connections and what not." There were a few murmurs at that. I kept quiet, knowing they would agree, even though the idea that superheroes could double as investigators was definitely a little out there. After the chatter had died down, I gave a closing statement.

"We would of course support them, but, we should choose a team that could potentially deal with most problems on their own. I'm thinking of a team with so much firepower that they could take on several armies at once. And if the news I've been hearing is accurate, we will certainly be able to form such a team. Consider these before we move to a vote.”

Whispers broke out once more as they began to consider the suggestion. I could see pensive looks on my fellow leaders as well. It looked like it would work. After a few minutes, once there was a lull in the conversation, I raised my hand and everyone fell silent.

"Shall we proceed to a vote?" I asked. No one had any objections so I continued," All those against." Quite a few more hands than I was expecting went up but, luckily it was only 33 of them. Now if only the rest of them all voted in favor. "All those in favor." I counted 37, which meant two had abstained from voting, but I was ecstatic. The motion had passed. I had to restrain myself from smiling. Instead I pressed on with the procedures to get the team selection underway.

"So the team shall be picked according to the all purpose model without a multiplier. I believe seventeen would be sufficient." There were several protests at that.

"Don't we need more than the usual to build a more powerful team?" "How can 17 act as a front line?"

I raised my hand again and continued," If the number is smaller it will allow the team to bond much better and function more efficiently. Even 17 is usually pushing it when it comes to that. The less people there are the more likely they will work efficiently as a team."

"But again do we really need that?" asked someone from the seated assembly.

"Yes...this is going to be a special forces unit and an investigative team. That requires teamwork."

"Alright fine, let's say 17 would work for that but why the all purpose model?The combat model would ensure a much higher overall power rating," another person pointed out.

"Trust me the power ratings will be fine. And this is a team for well...all purposes. Not simply to go up against armies...they have to be able to do actual investigating."

"But it still won't be the best it could be?" asked another person," going solely by the fields of mean magical potential and power rating."

"The power ratings would be fine as long as we chose the right people. And besides I wouldn't suggest this if I didn't think it could work. If you remember correctly, the last such a committee was formed in the time of the Second Omegaverse. And it did a damn fine job against King Pongius." That was the trump card.

No one had any more objections. I felt like I had cheated a little by using the King Pongius card but it was necessary. That was the one name that they all feared. The wayward celestial. I shook my head to dislodge those thoughts before they wandered into any painful territories. Some things were better left in the past.

Lord Dringof of dimension 42 stood," let's get to the selection then. Lower the platform."

I nodded to his show of support.

"Thank you Lord Dringof, we shall indeed have to lower the platform. But first, should we discuss the possibilities of the base and the ship?"

"I daresay we should discuss those once we have the team in our presence," suggested King Artacus, Dimension 63. Several people showed their support for that statement.

"I believe we shall move right to the selection process then. Lower the platform."

I programmed in the required parameters at the main control panel on my desk before we pressed the red buttons in unison. An alarm rang across the hall. The quiet hum of machinery spread throughout the hall as panels on the roof opened up one by one. 17 of them to be exact. Platforms were gently lowered until they were hovering a few feet above our heads. Large displays flickered to life behind each platform. Seats set into each platform unfolded. The plain black leather shone in the light of the conference hall. Armrests folded out of the seats, control panels set into each one. Floor lighting along the platforms lit up, casting an eerie blue glow over the seats. I took a deep breath.

It was time to form the newest special forces team. 

Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:33 pm
Stormblessed242 wrote a review...

Hello, Stormblessed here!
I really cannot wait to see where this goes! You have an interesting plot and a lot to look foward to.

On to the nitpicking.
I didn't see any misspellings or grammar issues, just make sure you write out your numbers in words.

I originally thought Omegaverse meant a place not a period of time. The suffix "verse" will probably remind people of the word "universe," so be careful with that. Just a tip for the future.

You're using the word "dimension" for two very different things. You use it to mean the dimension of time, and a region of space. Try changing one of those, as it will get confusing if you don't specify which one you mean.

That's the advice I have for you. I cant wait to read(and possibly review) the next part!

Hope this helped!
Stormblessed242

HarryHardy says...

Thanks for the review!!
Ohh the Omegaverse is actually a place but the timeline around that is....uhh...complicated.
Uhh yaa there is that issue....those things are both called dimensions.
Thanks again!! :D

Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:13 am
brotherGeo wrote a review...

Hello Comrade!
I seems things are about to get interesting. The creation of a crack team is on the table and it looks like things are good. i wonder how you'll make these heroes, it seems like they're 'models' like androids or some other advanced thing. anyway on with the review!

It's nicer to read when you write numbers as words and not numbers, just a little suggestion for you.

Foreshadowing perhaps? or just giving us a hint of the possibilities of this world, or should i say universe you've built.

So these superheroes are manufactured, like those Replicant's from bladerunner. will they have emotion, will they be self aware, will these superheroes really function in groups if they are manufactured or genetically engineered? you have brought a lot of questions to the table which i think is excellent. It leaves a lot unsolved and makes me want to know more, which most importantly will keep me reading. (I've been studying writing and critique so i hope this helpful)

One more thing, where you said 'another person pointed out.' you could just make up another name for this guy, unless all names spoken so far will become relevant later or if the main character didn't recognise the speaker.

Excellent closing line, sets the scene for whats to happen next and is a nice clean ending.

Overall a well written piece, it was well laid out and it seems that we are about to get led to something pretty interesting. I wonder what these heroes will be like. The flow was good but it felt a little short to be an entire chapter, maybe the first part of a chapter would be more fitting. Anyway the dialogue did feel a little dry, but then again these are leaders and pro's who can't afford to slip up without risking some form of prestige or credibility, so i understand the nature of why their dialect is like that. I do hope you spice up the dialogue with these heroes coming up. other than that it looks good, however i'm not a very good reviewer when it comes to grammar so i'm sure somebody else can pick up on that. oh yeah could you please tag me for the next chapter i'm interested in seeing how things go from here, so it would be much appreciated :D

Keep Writing!
-brotherGeo

HarryHardy says...

Thanks for the review!!
Ahh...ohh...well that was a direction I didn't think off...the models here are like the team members that'll be picked like a team structure almost like a combat team would have A number of heroes that can do B and C number of heroes that can do D...the heroes however are not manufactured...unfortunately.
Also...um...I'll remember that...there be some numbers headed this way.
Hmm....could be foreshadowing....could be worldbuilding or could be both..:)
Hmm...those names are kind of relevant but not that much...and I guess its like about 200 hundred people there so I didn't want to create a name but the main character is someone who would know the speaker.
And I'm glad you like it so far....our heroes will definitely bring dome dialogue in here...I wanted these guys to sound professional and overly formal so yaa that was the point. That was actually done to sharply contrast our main cast of heroes so the dialogue should get a lot more fun.
Thanks again!!

HarryHardy says...

Oh and the chapter being short...yaa I wanted this to be a separate but there wasn't much to include in it. The next chapter has a different idea so I didn't want to tag this one onto it.

brotherGeo says...

Ok cool this clears a few things up. I think i have a general idea of how these heroes work. an example would be One Punch man with the classes of heroes and their skills ranging in levels like A, B and C. i'm guessing this is how it may be but i will have to read to find out. :D
Looking forward to the next chapter.

It is better to deserve honors and not have them than to have them and not deserve them.