z

Young Writers Society



Unraveling the Past [Chapter 1]

by GreenTulip


Beep! I jumped as the microwave went off. I have always jumped at the sound of it, even as a little kid. My mum told me it was probably do to something that happened before I was adopted into their home. I wish I knew though; I don’t remember anything before then. It was as if I appeared out of nowhere. I had papers, nothing but the old style clothes I was found in. My friends make jokes about how “I’m illegal”. I don’t even remember my own birthday or my biological family. I don’t like when they joke like that.

Wearily, I grabbed my food from the microwave, wanting to eat before heading to bed. Heading towards the stairs I headed up to my attic room, which I shared with my two year old son, trying to be as quiet as possible. My family were light sleepers.

Shutting my door, I glanced over at the crib seeing him sleeping peacefully. Thank god, Mum had put him to bed and it seems like he’s been sleeping since then. Setting my food down on the desk, I threw my backpack down on the floor, digging through it. I was still in school and was working all to support him, so Mum wouldn’t have to.

Settling into my homework, I would glance up every few minutes to make sure that Isaiah was still sleeping peacefully. I had to take a double look one of those times. A shadow was standing over his crib, and he was fussing. He was clearly scared and was nearly ready to start crying.

Getting up quickly, I made my way to his crib> The shadow was in fact a young women- one that could pass as my reflection. Picking up Isaiah, I hugged him close to me, scared to let him go.

“Who are you?” I asked. “What did you do to my son?”

“Why, I’m basically you!” the mysterious figure said.

“No. I have no family,” I replied. “If this is some sick joke on the town’s orphan and single sixteen year old mother, you need to learn to go elsewhere.”

“You think I’m joking with you?” she asked, her head to the side as if she was confused.

“Why else would you talk to me. I’m the freak with grey eyes and the thing...”

“No sister of mine will talk like that!” the stranger shouted.

With her tone of voice, Isaiah started to cry loudly. I rocked him and rubbed his back gently to quiet him. I glared at her pissed off.

“Look what you did now!” I said. “Have you never spent time around children. You can’t be loud.”

“No, Mother always had a nanny for all us children in her care.”

“Before I get even more upset and start shouting for help, who the hell are you?”

“Rachel Hunter,” she answered. “I’m your sister, but you are simply in the wrong time. Have been for the past twelve years.”

“So what. Even if I was from the past or the future, it was probably to save my life, if it’s even real!”

“I can show you,” she said as she met my gaze. The grey in her eyes made her look like she was ready for a kill.

“Show me how?” I asked, wrapping my arms protectively around Isaiah.

“Revertere in tabernacula sua et populi legitimum tempus!” Rachel said.

Before I even got a chance to say anything, I felt like I was spinning out of control. As I breathed in and out, the space around me turned into rainbow colors and then nothing. Just peace and quiet but not for as long as I thought, as Isaiah’s cries threw me out of my trance.

Checking him over to ensure he was okay, I looked around me. I was no longer in my room, but rather I stood on the edge of a road. The Rachel girl was nowhere in sight.

‘Of course, I would get tricked. I was probably drugged and dragged out here,’ I thought. ‘But they left Isaiah with me?’

I didn’t know at that time, my life was going to change forever.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
760 Reviews


Points: 31396
Reviews: 760

Donate
Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:00 pm
ExOmelas wrote a review...



Hey, I saw ch2 of this in the GR and wanted to do an After Watch review but there's considerably less urgency than when you're trying to do the clearout itself so I figure I can afford to read and review this chapter first.

Nit-picks and nice moments:

My mum told me it was probably do to with something that

Although tbh I'd write it as "probably something to do with" but either of the ways I've suggested would be correct.

Wearily, I grabbed my food from the microwave

One thing I almost always mention when people start with their characters describing themselves is that it feels too abstract. However, congrats on starting it with a concrete event!

heading to bed. Heading towards

Repetition of "heading" jolts slightly.

I headed up to my attic room

And again :P

which I shared with my two year old son

That was an interesting surprise, but just wanted to check you wanted it to be a shock. (was picturing the character as a little kid before that).

Thank god, Mum had put him to bed and it seemsed like he’s been sleeping since then


was working all to support him

all what? hours?

I made my way to his crib> The

Random greater than symbol instead of a full stop xD

The shadow was in fact a young womean

This sounds kind of nonchalant for what should be a really high suspense moment.

If this is some sick joke on the town’s orphan and single sixteen year old mother, you need to learn to go elsewhere.

This seems like kind of odd information to add it, which makes it feel like you're shoehorning it a bit.

her head to the side as if she was confused.

I'd really like more description of her appearance. Is she literally just a shadow? If so what does she look like when she's talking? Does a gap in the shadow open up?

I glared at her pissed off.

It seems really odd that she's pissed off rather than terrified.

“So what. Even if I was from the past or the future, it was probably to save my life, if it’s even real!”

I definitely need more description here. Even if she acts brave, I need some internal narration of her fear. It seems extremely unlikely that she wouldn't be scared. There is a shadow talking to her.

The grey in her eyes

This is the kind of thing I mean. I'm unsure how a shadow has eyes.

You don't need the speech marks for her thoughts since it's already in italics. But also, you're relating her thoughts already, so I'm not sure you need extra formatting.

It seems like she would be able to guess that her life was about to change, since a shadow just came alive and teleported her somewhere :P

Overall:

Character: I like how your main chracter seems to be quite strong and tough, but I don't think that would result in her not being scared of this super freaky supernatural phenomenon. It'd be totally fine for her to swallow her fear, stop herself shaking - she has her child to protect after all. It makes sense for that to be her numer one priority above her own safety, but we need this spoken about at least a little, otherwise it feels like this isn't an unusual occurrence, which takes away from the drama of it.

Setting: I would like a lot more about the room. Describing the darkness could really add to the tension.

Plot: Despite what I said in character, I see how this can be an extremely thrilling plot-line. If you make the changes I've suggested, you'll be able to reap the benefits of that better. I think your final line is a little generic, maybe something specific to her situation about how it's going to change her life.

Hope this helps and see you at the green room chapter,
Biscuits :)




User avatar
373 Reviews


Points: 46306
Reviews: 373

Donate
Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:58 pm
PrincessInk wrote a review...



Hello, GreenTulip :)

This was an interesting chapter one to read and I like the way the tension was building up in the beginning.

But I don't really understand the joke the MC's friends were making. Why "illegal"? I understand she's an orphan and all and had her papers, but I feel as if it was confusing.

“No sister of mine will talk like that!” the stranger shouted.


And I'm kind of confused here too. Why would she shout actually? Is she annoyed at the MC? Maybe she is, but I'm still muddled...

“So what. Even if I was from the past or the future, it was probably to save my life, if it’s even real!”


I'm not so sure why the MC would say that. Was she sarcastic? Or she really thought so? I'm kind of leaning toward sarcastic, but whichever meaning you intend, I would like it if you phrased it more clearly.

I love the Latin Rachel uses. I actually like to use Latin to name things in my stories. I got the idea from it from J. K. Rowlings. It makes sense; many English words are derived from Latin.

And also when the MC was transported, I felt as though there was a lack of description, so I wasn't so sure where she was. And the last sentence of the chapter was a bit cliche? ;) I would have liked more of a hook than that.

But other than that, the whole chapter flowed rather fluidly and the tension was built up nicely. Keep on writing!

Sincerely,
Princess Ink




User avatar
116 Reviews


Points: 5240
Reviews: 116

Donate
Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:15 pm
RoseTulipLily wrote a review...



"My mum told me it was probably do to something that happened before I was adopted into their home." Is incorrect. Replace "do" with "due"

"I wish I knew, though; I don’t remember anything before then." Is the correct way to say this.

'I had papers, nothing but the old style clothes I was found in.' Is incorrect. It might be better to say "All I had were papers and the old styles clothes I was found in."

.'I don’t like when they joke like that.' Add an 'it' before 'when' and I also must say that it's not always good to have 'like' in the same sentence, but it's your choice. I'm just offering my opinion here.

'Heading towards the stairs I headed up to my attic room, which I shared with my two year old son, trying to be as quiet as possible. My family were light sleepers.' Two different forms of the same word may not be the best idea, but if you prefer to keep it, add a comma after 'stairs'.

'Shutting my door, I glanced over at the crib to see him sleeping peacefully.' Would be the right way to say this.

'Thank god, Mum had put him to bed and it seems like he’s been sleeping since then. Setting my food down on the desk, I threw my backpack down on the floor, digging through it. I was still in school and was working all to support him, so Mum wouldn’t have to.' This doesn't sound very right. Maybe try changing it to 'Thank god, Mum had put him to bed and it seems he’s been sleeping since then. Setting my food down on the desk, I threw my backpack down on the floor and began digging through it. I was still in school and working a lot to support him, so Mum wouldn’t have to.'

'Settling into my homework, I would glance up every few minutes to make sure that Isaiah was still sleeping peacefully. I had to take a double look one of those times. A shadow was standing over his crib, and he was fussing. He was clearly scared and was nearly ready to start crying.' It would be better to say 'After settling into my homework, I glanced up every few minutes to make sure Isaiah was still peacefully asleep. I had to take a double look one of those times. A shadow was standing over his crib, and he was fussing. He was clearly scared and nearly ready to start crying.'

'her head to the side as if she was confused.' Should be 'her had cocked to the side as if she were confused.

“Have you never spent time around children.' Replace the period with a question mark.

'With her tone of voice, Isaiah started to cry loudly. I rocked him and rubbed his back gently to quiet him. I glared at her pissed off.' The first sentence of this example is perplexing to me. Also, add a comma before 'pissed off'

'Checking him over to ensure he was okay, I looked around me' just delete 'me' it does not belong there.

'The Rachel girl was nowhere in sight.' For this one, it might be better to simply say 'Rachel was nowhere in sight.'

'I didn’t know at that time, but my life was going to change forever.' Would he the right way to say this.





I'm getting nachos~
— BluesClues