a jewel must shine

by mythh

Thrift didn't come from a shadow
It cameth from light
For no shadow would form
Without the day's bright.

If to cast your shadow,
Into a void of ends
My light you require,
Take it, for I value it not.

It is not my deserving,
It is yours, to smile.
I have thrown it away
Every chance I got.

It is yours and, 
Only yours will it be.

Care not about lowly peasants
Who claim to carry light,
For they possess a
Mirror that reflects their own darkness.

They trap you with their shadow
And watch you make it your own.

There is tear in laughter and
There is melancholy in mirth.

But forget not
That it is light
That formeth a shadow,
Like a wrinkle carveth a smile.

Fri May 29, 2020 5:09 am
nanda says...

It's a good poem. Beautifully written. Loved reading it!

KahleneTenorio wrote a review...

Hi, this is Kahlene.

Okay, I see you with some skills here~
This poem is really, something. Is this a love poem? I interpreted that it was, the narrator kept saying that he will give his lover his light. I mean that's something, if the person I liked needed my light I would probably tell them no and walk away.

I also like the your grammar, it gives this oldy type vibe, like some Shakespeare literature. Which is one one of my favorite authors, I mean his writing takes my soul away!

Anyway, I like your poem it's nice to read. I feel like this would be something to read while your outside looking at the sunset with a person you love... That seems nice, considering the situation everyone is in.

mythh says...

Hey, I'm glad you feel that way :)
Well, I didn't write it with romantic intentions but now that I look at it, it can be used that way. Hehe. Thanks! <3

Anytime!

Tue May 05, 2020 7:06 am
apricot wrote a review...

there r so many ways u can interpret this and its crazy and i love the abstract behind it i feel like it can be tailored to anyone really. and correct me if im wrong but i think this could be talking about someone u find that just has something about them that makes them stand out and thats y its the light cause others try to copy and instead its a false mirror u talk about and i love that im also getting yin and yang from this

mythh says...

Haha yes you can indeed interpret it in so many different ways. :D

"Life, although it may only be an accumulation of anguish, is dear to me, and I will defend it."
— Mary Shelley, Frankenstein