18+

Reminisces of Jack Frost the Third (Chapter 1)

by mythh

Part l. Despair. 

Jack walked across the thirty-two thousand feet high platform. The platform was narrow and surprisingly empty. He looked at the twenty-four million pixel screen in front of him. His favourite DJ was on fire on his first time on live TV. Jack knew very well what the first song from his playlist would be. In a few moments the song began to ring in his head. It began to crescendo as the crossfade effect wore of and the speakers synchronized with the music playing in his head. Daft Punk. Give Life back to Music.

He kept walking. He realized why he liked the song so much. Every note synchronized with his feelings. He climbed onto the railing of the platform. His third power hadn't yet manifested. A fall from this height would be long and would definitely result in certain death. He waited for the song to end.

He predicted the next song. He was right after all. His anger swelled up to the battle rap. He stepped into the low pressure cyberpunk air of Autopia - the capital city of Arachnion. Before long, he was falling. The air desperately trying to push him back up against gravity. His hair was flying back, trying to elope with the air.

He was certain that half his journey was over. It was just five more kilometers. He knew because of the speed at which he was falling. After all. That was one of his powers. Speed. He could manipulate it. He could live if he wished to. Even if he made his decision to live on a second before a devastating last meeting with the ground.

Seventy five percent there. That's when he heard a voice. "where are you?" The voice sounded sad. His eyes widened. He asked himself. "what am I doing?". His eyes began to glow green. His muscles tightened. His body was sorrounded by a shallow green flame. Time stopped. The fall slowed down. He was standing on the air. He planted his feet, perpendicular to the force that was bringing him down to a gruesome fate. He began to run. It seemed like a second. He was back on the platform railing. A thin looking girl stood in front of him. There were tears on rolling down her cheeks. His eyes widened again.

Time stopped again but just in his head.

"What the fuck is wrong with me?"

He thought, he thought and he thought. He was drowning. All of a sudden, he was standing in a void. Black like the night. No. Blacker still. His eyes looked deep. Deep like an ocean that extended into the universe and further.

He snapped out of it. He stepped forward. He hugged his elder sister like it was the last time he'd hug anyone. He pressed her face against his chest. "I'm sorry Candy. I'm still here. It's okay."

He walked her to a cab station. He looked at the levitating parking lot with its floating cars. He got in not saying a word. He took out his phone, typed something and showed it to the driver. He began to drive, or rather fly them away.

A few minutes passed. The cab stopped. The door to his left slid up. Candace was asleep. He carried her. He stepped onto a platform and stood there. He kissed his sister on the forehead. 

He walked towards a door that blended in with the rest of the metal on the building. He was at least a fifty-thousand feet above the ground. Well, that's just how big the castle was. He didn't care. The door opened by itself as he approached. He walked through a large decorated hall and into a small closet. 

He faced a blue coloured screen. He tapped the screen with his forehead. It displayed four options. He spoke to the screen. "Candace," he said. The screen sunk into the wall and the closet door closed. The closet began to rise up and a door appeared out of the wall. "Password?" said an automated voice. 

"Jack," said Candace in her sleepy, tired sounding voice. It made Jack smile. The door opened. Jack walked to a bed. He placed Candace on it and lied down next to her. He pressed her face against his chest and kept on repeating the same thing.

"I'm sorry... I'm sorry... I'm sorry."

He must've fallen asleep because when he opened his eyes, Candace was talking on the phone and there was no light coming through the windows. He had slept through the evening. She didn't ask him any questions. She understood him. As long as he lived.

He got up, opened the door to the closet and went to his room. He checked his phone.

"100+ unread text messages"

It didn’t surprise him. He had skipped all his classes today. He didn’t care. There was nothing there he didn’t already know. He hated going there. He hated everyone. Everyone adored him but he could see through them. He didn’t need to use his powers to read their minds.

In truth, they were all jealous of him. Jealous because of his intellect, his superior powers, his fortunes. He heard them whisper behind his back. It was his blood. It was his blood that pinned him down at the centre of all the envy.

He looked out of the window at the starry sky. It could only be seen from his house. Nothing else on the planet reached the height of this tower.

The stars reflected off of his eyes. 

He thought about why his blood was so important.

Arachnion was the heart of the planet, and he just happened to be the heir. But that was just the beginning.

Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:34 am
Lib wrote a review...

Hey Myth!

This is the second part for the review prize part of your checklist challenge prizes. Let's dig right in. :)

Jack walked across the thirty-two thousand feet high platform. The platform was narrow and surprisingly empty. He looked at the twenty-four million pixel screen in front of him.

32k high platform o-o
24m pixel screen O-O

I'm getting super tech-y vibes, I must say.

His favourite DJ was on fire on his first time on live TV.

I admittedly was not expecting that lol

Every note synchronized with his feelings.

Ah, I think anyone who has a top favorite song would say the same. I, for one, definitely would!

A fall from this height would be long and would definitely result in certain death.

I mean it's 32k feet high sooo I guess that's likely ^^"

Okay okay I did notice that in the beginning of a lot of sentences, you use the pronouns a lot. If you scan through the story, you'll probably see what I mean. The repetition is disrupting the flow of the story, making it sound choppy, y'know what I mean?

Before long, he was falling.

oh my god WHAT

oh my goodness gracious this is only the first chapter

After all. That was one of his powers. Speed.

Ooh that's so cool!! Also, uh, one of his powers? I wanna know how many more this guy has o.o Also x2, the way the sentences have been broken up here sound pretty odd if you say it out loud. I get what effect you're going for, but it it wouldn't really go well here. After all, that was one of his powers - speed. Or you could say: After all, speed was one of his powers.

Seventy five percent there.

Loving the calculations.

"where are you?" The voice sounded sad. His eyes widened. He asked himself. "what am I doing?".

I feel like this would read better if after "The voice sounded sad, the paragraph ended, and a new one started. And also don't forget caps! One more thing: maybe if we swapped "He asked himself" and "What am I doing?", I feel like it'd read better. A personal opinion though. ( if none of what I said made sense, here's what I mean: )

"Where are you?" The voice sounded sad.

His eyes widened. "What am I doing?" he asked himself.

Just a personal opinion though. c:

His eyes began to glow green. His muscles tightened. His body was sorrounded by a shallow green flame. Time stopped. The fall slowed down. He was standing on the air.

Breaking the sentences up here makes this bit feel more - idk what the word is, but it makes it so fun to read! Also the magic part of this ahh I love it 100%. One lil nitpick: pretty sure it's supposed to be surrounded. ^^

There were tears on rolling down her cheeks. His eyes widened again.

Aw :c I wonder who she is? A friend? His sister? His daughter? I don't think he's a father though >.>

He hugged his elder sister like it was the last time he'd hug anyone. He pressed her face against his chest. "I'm sorry Candy. I'm still here. It's okay."

Aw <3 (Also I'm going to be a honest here, but I feel like Jack's the older one, because, younger siblings can be more emotional, y'know? Like, the older ones are supposed to be there for the younger ones, and stop them from doing bad and guide them towards right. Does that make sense??

I noticed as I went deeper into the chapter, the sentences were magically becoming shorter. :eyes: Is this one of Jack's powers >.> If it is, let Jack know that he should lengthen the sentences some more so the paragraph feels less choppy. ;) Also please tell Jack that he definitely seems like the good-older-brother right now! I feel like if I were to catch my sister doing something she isn't supposed to be doing, I'd be watching her for the next few days, just to make sure she isn't doing it again, not sleeping. That's a me thing though, not sure if that's the same for other older siblings or Candace, in this case.

He had slept through the evening.

This reminds me, I don't think you told us what time of day it was in the beginning of this chapter. I had thought it was nighttime and by the time Jack and Candace were back home, it must have been around ten or eleven pm. Apparently not? Because he slept into the evening, so it was probably morning time. Definitely clarify the time of day when you get the chance to!

She understood him.

<3

"100+ unread text messages"

Either a) he hasn't checked his phone in forever or b) he's super popular and has loads of friends.

He had skipped all his classes today. He didn’t care. There was nothing there he didn’t already know. He hated going there. He hated everyone. Everyone adored him but he could see through them. He didn’t need to use his powers to read their minds.

:/ Something is obviously bothering him very much. ;-;

Jealous because of his intellect, his superior powers, his fortunes. He heard them whisper behind his back. It was his blood. It was his blood that pinned him down at the centre of all the envy.

His legit blood or like, the fact that he's royalty or the son of some famous person? Also if this guy has powers, I'm assuming everyone else in Arachnion does too? Unless Jack's are way superior. Ahh I wonder how he (will) deal(s) with it!!

Nothing else on the planet reached the height of this tower.

I can see why people are jealous >.>

I have a theory. Hear me out. What if Jack is the prince from the prologue and his parents have both passed away? And like, he's in this new planet thanks to the sword-that-turned-into-something-else who kidnapped him and his sister. And everyone in Arachnion knows about his royalty, but he's forgotten all about it, and that's why they're jealous? :0

I'm probably far off but it's a possibility xD

Wait I just read the last two sentences~

So this means he is royalty, and that's why they're all jealous? o: But I mean who isn't jealous of royalty. xD

Alrighty, that's it for my review! Hope this helped in some shape, way or form. I'm definitely going to continue with chapters 2 and 3, and hopefully you post more of this because I'm actually intrigued! Lemme know if you have any questions about this review. :)

Wishing you a singing, dancing good time <3

~Lib

Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:32 am

And we continue along

First Impression: Okay the pacing is a bit much there. It moves really fast. Its not so fast that it can't be understood but it still feels slightly rushed. Besides that it sounds pretty interesting so far.

Anyway let's get to it,

The thirty-two thousand feet is okay but when you repeat the twenty-four million pixel thing not many people would actually be able to visualize what that means. Pixels aren't exactly a common measure that most people are familiar with. But this is a really big nitpick so feel free to ignore it.

The air desperately trying to push him back up against gravity. His hair was flying back, trying to elope with the air.

Well that's the most interesting description of air resistance I've ever read.

Great description in that passage. Gives a great image right there.

Okay the elder part there seems a touch forced. Normally you don't bother to say elder or younger, you just straight up say sister. But that's totally not a big deal.

Small problem there. The cars would have to actually be parked on solid ground in the parking lot or it wouldn't be very practical to get in. They'd have to like dive inside the car. So as cool as a bunch of floating cars are you should probably have them on the platform itself, then have it fly off.

So this whole part does a great job establishing their relationship. It seems pretty touching so far.

So the door is that far up or is the castle actually fifty thousand feet tall. It's not very clear here.

He got up, opened the door to the closet and went to his room. He checked his phone.

"100+ unread text messages"

Nitpick: Phones usually display it either as 99+ or 999+. If the phone can display three digits it would just display it . You never ever see a 100+ displayed on a phone.

The stars reflected off of his eyes.

This part is really exposition heavy. Maybe a bit too much there. We learn quite a lot for a very short first chapter.

And that's it for this one.

Overall: So this chapter is a pretty decent first chapter. We get to see some form of conflict going on with the protagonist. The personalities I felt didn't get development here. The relationship between the character was shown pretty well but their individual personalities didn't get a chance to shine through yet. That's not too bad for chapter 1 but let's see as we move further. Besides that the worldbuilding was pretty good. It's certainly an interesting setting.

LadyBug wrote a review...

Tem! I'm here to review. Let's just get into it, shall we =)

Jack walked across the thirty two thousand feet high platform. The platform was narrow and surprisingly empty. He looked at the twenty four million pixel screen in front of him. His favourite DJ was on fire on his first time on live TV. Jack knew very well what the first song from his playlist would be. In a few moments the song began to ring in his head. It began to crescendo as the crossfade effect wore of and the speakers synchronized with the music playing in his head. Daft Punk. Give Life back to Music.

Okay, Temmy, no. Just no. Look, this is a good plot and story idea but we need to talk. Why is this in italics? I know that it’s probably a way to stand out, but you can do that through exceptional writing and unforgettable characters. Let’s get to the sentence structure, the length of this paragraph and the mistakes.

You tend to jump back and forth in your paragraphs, making them feel unorganized. None of your sentences vary and this makes the flow a bit… off. Let me rewrite this first part in an easier to read, flowy way. I took the liberty of adding more descriptive adjectives, so feel free to ignore me.

Walking across the high and narrow platform, Jack gulped. It was only thirty-two thousand feet. HIs favourite DJ, who set himself on fire for his first time on live TV, would be nothing on Jack. He looked at the twenty-four million pixel screen as he mentally evaluated his playlist.

See, an easier, more varied read!

Second, the length. I don’t care if one paragraph is as long as the fifth Harry Potter book, you need to regulate it. The flow has to be good, it must be descriptive, and I don’t want to see spelling mistakes, I want nice transitions, not sloppy jumps. You can do so much better and I want to see you at your full potential!

Lastly, you made a few spelling mistakes. Thirty-two thousand should have a hyphen, along with twenty-four million. Second, you made a few general errors:

On his should be for his and of and should be off and. Moving on.

Umm, please explain. Planes generally fly at 31,000 feet, so this feels super exaggerated and over the top. 10,000 feet would be a lot,so why does it have to be so high? He may have power, but this is just overkill.

Watch the flow, I want to see more semicolons and fewer periods.

He was certain that half his journey was over. It was just five more kilometers. He knew because of the speed at which he was falling. After all. That was one of his powers. Speed.

Why is there a period after “after all,” that is not a whole sentence and messes up the whole flow, ruining what you could have made into a good build up with a discovery, please watch out for blunders like these.

Where needs to be capitalized, the sentences are too short to flow well, you spelt surrounded wrong, tears rolling down is the proper way of stating that. The sentences are fragments and are too short for this, I want to see you use commas.

Oof, Grav. This is long, too long. And wordy, too wordy. I’m not rewriting it to show you, but we can work on this.

A comma is needed after again, Temmy.

"What the fuck is wrong with me?"

You need to rate this 18+ if there is an F-bomb.

A few minutes passed. The cab stopped. The door to his left slid up. Candace was asleep. He carried her. He stepped onto a platform. He stood there. He kissed his sister on the forehead. He walked towards a door that blended in with the rest of the metal on the building. He was at least a fifty thousand feet above the ground. Well that's just how big the castle was. He didn't care. The door opened by itself as he approached. He walked through a large decorated hall and into a small closet. He faced a blue coloured screen. He tapped the screen with his forehead. It displayed four options. He spoke to the screen. "Candace" he said. The screen sunk into the wall and the closet door closed. The closet began to rise up and a door appeared out of the wall. "Password?" said an automated voice. "Jack" said Candace in her sleepy, tired sounding voice. It made Jack smile. The door opened. Jack walked to a bed. He placed Candace on it and lied down next to her. He pressed her face against his chest and kept on repeating the same thing.

By this point, I think you understand that the sentences are too short and too frequent. One short sentence can be impactful, but you’ve made it lose its meaning. You need to break this elephant of a paragraph into at least three, and it’s messing with your flow because you have a few short ones then this mammoth. Also, is her name Candy or Candace or is this another person, make it clearer.

In truth, they were all jealous of him. Jealous because of his intellect, his superior powers, his fortunes, and most of all, his blood.

Um, if you're trying to get us to like this Jack dude, it’s not going well. He sounds arrogant and pretentious and so far he seems a bit overrated. But congrats, your storytelling has made me genuinely feel something toward him, and that’s not easy!

He was the heir to the throne of Arachnion – the very heart of the planet. But that wasn't all.

Okay, kind of a cliffhanger to leave a chapter on, and it can be executed better.

Here is a little rewrite of that last line, give them a shock, Gravy!

See, a bit more mystery and va-voom to it!

OVERALL:

Very good, story wise. I love your creativity and the personalities make it feel real. I can’t wait to get to the next part :)

Jade

mythh says...

I know you intended grav-ey but I kinda read it as grey-vy. Woof, I feel like gravy.

Yeah, I really need someone to help me out at this point. I'm just wondering how in the world you went that much into detail. Thanks. Really.

LadyBug says...

Hey, if you need help just post it on my wall and I can go into all the detail you need, I enjoy doing this so that's why I write such long reviews (this isn't super long at 4,000, my longest was 18,000) I hope I helped you a bit ^^

mythh says...

A BIT? You might just be a queen of understatements!

Hijinks wrote a review...

Hey Myth! I'm here to review the first chapter, before I head to Chapter 2!

I admit I haven't read the prologue, so please forgive me if I say something stupid. (Usually prologues are designed as extra information, and not totally necessary to read to understand the rest of the book, so hopefully it'll be fine.)

Anyway, on to the review! I'll start with some nitpicks, and then I'll give you some general suggestions/comments.

Jack walked across the the thirty two thousand feet high platform. The platform was narrow and surprisingly empty. He looked at the twenty four million pixel screen in front of him. His favourite DJ was on fire on his first time on live TV. Jack knew very well what the first song from his playlist would be. In a few moments the song began to ring in his head. It began to crescendo as the crossfade effect wore of and the speakers synchronized with the music playing in his head. Daft Punk. Give Life back to Music.

A couple of small typos: "the" is repeated twice, and "of" should be "off".
Also, just a little thing I'd like to point out, is that in the first three sentences, you use numbers as adjectives twice. First you describe the platform as "thirty two thousand feet high" (thirty two should be hyphenated, by the way), then you describe the screen as having "twenty four million pixels" (also should be hyphenated). It's not necessarily a bad thing, but it feels a bit awkward having big numbers used twice in such little time.

I love how you describe this!

He was right after all.

I'm not sure why you would say "after all"? Did he have a reason to be wrong? Did he usually guess the wrong song?

That's when he heard a voice. "where are you?" The voice sounded sad. His eyes widened. He asked himself. "what am I doing?".

Both the bolded "w"s should be highlighted, since they're the start of a quote.

General Thoughts
1. This seems to have a really interesting premise, and you end on a cliffhanger! It makes me want to keep reading!

2. Throughout the chapter, it's a bit hard to understand what's going on. You need to remember that while you may have a picture of what's going on in your head, your readers aren't mindreaders :] I would just suggest adding more explanations/descriptions to keep your readers in the loop.

3. Jack seems like an interesting and relatable character, I'm super interested in reading more about him!

Overall, this is really well done! I can't wait to review the next chapter!

I hope this was helpful, if anything isn't clear, please ask.

Keep writing Myth <3

Loonzy

mythh says...

:)))

Hijinks says...

:)))

Hijinks says...

ah gees I hate it when it does that!!!

mythh says...

haha <3

Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:04 am
Necromancer14 wrote a review...

Interesting! This was a big jump from the prologue. The whole scenario is quite fascinating, and I enjoyed reading it.

Here's my review:

It was interesting that it jumped from Jack's early childhood to being older now. However, you don't say how much older. I know he's still in school, so he can't be older than eighteen.

The suicide thing was intriguing. What was that about? You had better explain sometime in the next few chapters. For now, I'm guessing it was because of his Dad being dead. It's certainly a shocker when you start reading though. It definitely got my attention.

Part l. Despair.

This is me being a bit nit-picky, but I would use a colon instead of a period after "Part 1" e.g. "Part 1: Despair."

The twenty four million pixel screen in front of him.

This is an incomplete sentence. The reader begins reading it expecting something to happen with the screen. However, the sentence just ends. It should be "There was a twenty-four million pixel screen in front of him." The other thing you could do would be to make the period just before into a comma.

This is the part where you go like "Woah, woah, hold up a minute! He's... COMMITTING SUICIDE?!" It's great.

"where are you?" The voice sounded sad. His eyes widened. He asked himself. "what am I doing?"

...And he comes back to reality.

he thought. He thought and he thought.

This should be "He thought, he thought, and he thought." This section was nicely descriptive though.

Wait... what kind of planet is this? Is it the same planet as the prologue?

"100+ unread text messages"

Hopefully he has unlimited.

He looked out of the window at the starry sky. It could only be seen from his house. Nothing else on the planet reached the height of his tower.

He's in a tower? Interesting.

The stars reflected off of his eyes.

Nice descriptions!

But that wasn't all.

Keep reading to find out! Great ending.

This was a great start. The reader just sort of gets surprised by all these different elements that keep popping up. I really like it so far!

Well, that's my review! I hope it was helpful.

mythh says...

Lol there's one tiny aspect you won't understand till you read the next chapter lol. Its not that thiny though. lol. Thanks for the review!!!

JesseWrites wrote a review...

This is from the POV of Jack Frost, so I didn't expect a modern setting. That twist made this piece its own. The science fiction with the planet is something I wouldn't ever see in anything else.

I didn't read the prologue, but I will after to understand some more. Your use of strong language kind of ticked me off, but it makes sense in the context. I do not hate it. Adult words are a medium territory for me.

His powers were described like they were real with the jealousy. That is probably realistic if it happened. He was heir to a planet and that is extreme with struggles behind it. I can't wait for chapter 2 and what you have in store.

~S.M.Locke~

mythh says...

Thanks! I'm glad you liked it :)

mythh says...

Hope you guys enjoy this...

@Honora @LittleLee @Necromancer14 @MadagascarMaiden @FlamingPhoenix

Tell me if you want to be added or removed. :)

*surprised scream* Aaaaah, NaNo!
— spottedpebble