z

Young Writers Society



Blister and the Five boys

by Goldenwizard


Blister Meconz

Blister kidnapped five beautiful boys,

he saw daily in his neighborhood.

And kept them behind the bars,

all in different cells deep in the woods.

He chained them all,

from their arm to their legs.

And didn't show any mercy,

even when they cried a lot to beg.

Neither he does sell them,

not he beat them up.

He just came twice a day,

giving a plate of food and water in a cup.

The days passed one after another,

and one day the boys decide to protest.

They clenched their palms together,

and pledge to not let the food roll down their chest.

The next day when Blister came back,

holding the food cooked as a snack.

He found the dishes untouched of the one day past,

but did not reply and replaced them with the new one fast.

The same happened a couple of days,

and then the boys could not hold further.

They then release their palms from there hold,

and feed the food to their hunger.

Now they knew that the only thing could be done,

was to escape before the sun of next day burns.

That vary day later,

when Blister came at night.

He opened the cell of all the boys together,

To feed them dinner straight in his sight.

Lurking the best moment they hold their grudge together,

and threw there chained bodies rolled on his chest over.

Some of them hold him,

and others find the keys.

Together they threw his faint body down a near crest,

and breathe in an open sky breeze.

Walking the forest on and on,

soon they reach their town where they belong.

Suddenly they got stunned over the state of their town,

and cried a lot over the dead bodies of their families around.

The neighbouring king had raided the town,

with horse riding like molten lava.

That ripped and burnt all their houses,

And had killed all the people they found in the town Siyava.

                                                       -Prakamya Shukla


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
58 Reviews


Points: 1962
Reviews: 58

Donate
Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:20 pm
Lezuli wrote a review...



Hello there, Lezuli here for a review!
I'd like to start out by saying I quite enjoyed your story. I really liked the sense of irony in how the boys killed their savior and got free from him just to find an even darker reality.
Alright, for some other stuff. I know it'll be super hard to actually accommodate for these suggestions, so consider them food for thought for later.
#1: I think that in general it might make the ending make a little more sense if you mention somehow that it wasn't Earth earlier on. Unless you were going for that so that the surprise was more surprising. If you wanted that, then props to you for that ending.
#2: This is another nitpicky thing, but you said that their cells were separate in the beginning and then they were talking to each other. I got the image from that that they were far away from each other, but was I wrong?
And finally #3 : This one you probably can take, but you spelled 'very' as 'vary'. I'm not sure if that was intentional or not, but if it wasn't I just wanted to point it out.
Anyway, I hope this helped you in some way!




Goldenwizard says...


Hi / Namaste
I'm reall thankful for the suggestions you gave and that you also liked it.
The third one you mentioned was actually done intentionally for I wanted to express it as a wide thing.
About the cells when I first imagined it was like cells with mettalic grids all one after another in a line so due to that I made that they can talk to each other.
But can you explain me the first suggestion you gave, I didnt understand it and I think it could be interesting.
Thanks for your time.
Dhanyavad



Lezuli says...


I'm glad I could help! And as for the first suggestion, I mean that the way you first talk about it makes it seem like the boys and Blister are on present day earth(like with cars, and phones, and no evil kings and such), and then it turns out they're in this more medieval(I think) fantasy world(that's what I see, away). So maybe somehow if you could mention that they weren't on earth, then the ending wouldn't seem out of place. Does that help?



Goldenwizard says...


Okay, now I understood. Thanks for your time and suggestion I would definitely try to add some details about it.
Thanks / Dhanyavad



User avatar
1274 Reviews


Points: 35774
Reviews: 1274

Donate
Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:16 am
niteowl wrote a review...



Hi there Blister! Niteowl here to review.

Overall, this is an interesting concept for a poem. I love a good narrative piece, and I like how you're taking on a rather dark story.

That said, there's a few ways I'd think this could be improved. For one thing, the rhyme could be really effective, creating a sort of creepy sing-songy effect to contrast with the dark storyline. However, rhyme is really tricky to do well, as it's not just about matching the ending words. It also has to do with meter, or how the syllables work together. If one line is much longer than the line it's rhyming in, it can be hard to read and affect the flow of the poem. For example:

Neither he does sell them,

not he beat them up.

He just came twice a day,

giving a plate full of food and water laid in a cup.


The fourth line is so much longer than the second that it kind of feels like you were hunting for a rhyming word. When you read it out loud, the last line feels rushed. The best way to improve the flow of a poem (rhyming or free verse) is to read it out loud. The ear can hear things that look okay on paper but sound weird or awkward when spoken.

There's quite a few grammar/spelling errors, but those can take time to go through, so I won't unless you want more in-depth editing on that. The one that really sticks out though, is "cocked" instead of "cooked", so I would definitely fix that.

Now back to the plot line. I like the overall concept, but I find myself with a lot of questions. For one thing, why is Blister doing this? He's chained them in the woods and feeds them just once a day, but doesn't appear to be doing anything else with them. I'm also wondering how they managed to communicate well enough to organize a hunger strike when they're in separate cells and then managed to physically overpower him in the end. Did he let them out so they'd be together in the hunger strike? Also the ending where's there's randomly a rival king in their old town feels too far out of left field and takes the focus away from the story. A more interesting ending might be to have them return, everything looks familiar, but they've been forgotten and no one recognizes them.

I feel like you could go in two different directions with this. One would be focusing more on the boys as protagonists. Who are they? Did they know each other (or Buster) before the kidnapping? How do they interact being in different cells? How do they move from scared to defiant? What are their feelings as they make it back home?

The other way you could move is focusing more on our villain. What are his motives? His past? How and why does he kidnap the boys? How does he feel when the boys start refusing the food, and then as he realizes they've overpowered him? It is hard to get all this in a poem, but if you word things well and cut filler, it can still have an impact and not get too rambly.

I know I've been a bit harsh, but I really do like this idea, and there's a lot you can do with it. There's also some great lines in here, like

and pledge to not let the food roll down their chest.

was to escape before the sun of next day burns.


Overall, I do hope you continue to take risks and tell interesting stories through your poems. Keep writing! :D




Goldenwizard says...


Hi/ Namaste
Thanks for the complete suggestion, it is really helping for me to improve.
Acctually I wanted to creat an ironic situation here that all the five boys thee him down a deep crest as a reveng but when they returned to their town they noticed that the man Blister actually saved him from the neighbouring king who raised their town and killed all the person's their whom they found. The man in a way wanted to save them and thus he did that.
I know it is not clear to convey what I really wanted but i'll keep your advice to grow my skill for sure.
Thanks / Dhanyavad




Poetry is my cheap means of transportation. By the end of the poem the reader should be in a different place from where he started. I would like him to be slightly disoriented at the end, like I drove him outside of town at night and dropped him off in a cornfield.
— Billy Collins