To Become: A Transformation

by atlast

Author's Note: This is an unedited (except for any spelling/grammar mistakes) piece I wrote for a writing competition two years ago. I'm currently planning a novel of the same name. There are definitely things I want to fix, but I thought it best to post the original. Also, there is mention of the main character using ACE bandages to bind their chest, so I wanted to say that I am NOT endorsing the use of ACE bandages for chest binding. It's actually really dangerous and can seriously hurt you. Stay safe! Other than that, I hope you enjoy! Reviews, constructive criticism, and anything else you have to say is welcomed and encouraged!

I looked at myself in the reflection of the glass. Perfectly straight hair, a face that wasn't plagued with a single blemish; was this really me? When did I become this...this different? I asked myself. But before I could come up with an answer, I felt a hand on my arm.

"Hey, babe," my boyfriend, Blake, greeted me. I smiled meekly.

"Hey," I said flatly.

"Is something up?" Blake asked me, his face contorted with mock concern.

"Have you ever had the urge to become someone else? Like, you didn't feel like yourself?"

"What?"

"Never mind.Don't worry about it." I stalked out off, my heels clicking on the hardwood floor.

My hands shook as I drove home; I gripped the wheel so tight my knuckles turned white. Once I was home, I raced up to my bedroom, almost tripping on the fluffy, white carpeted stairs. Looking at myself in the mirror once again, I angrily rubbed the goop of off my face, and, once that was done, grabbed a pair of kitchen shears. I slowly took a long piece of my brown hair and quickly tapered it to a length just above the nape of my neck. Piece by piece, lock by lock, my hair floated down to the ground until I had a masculine undercut that tickled my forehead. Smiling a genuine grin, I stood up and jogged into my brother, Alex's room.

I rummaged through his drawers, grabbing a t-shirt and a pair of basketball shorts. We were about the same size, I figured, so on my way out, I snatched a pair of grey sneakers off the floor. But, before I left, I stopped. Did I really want this? I ran a hand through my freshly cut hair. As I did this, I realized, the urge was only going to get stronger until it was satisfied. I walked slowly to my room, shut the door, and adorned myself with my brother's clothing. Something was missing. I walked to the bathroom and rummaged through the cabinets until I found what I was looking for.

Back in my room, I peeled off my shirt. Walking over to the mirror I unraveled the ACE bandage I had clutched in my hand. Then, carefully, I wound it around myself, therefore rendering my previously curvy chest flat. Grinning slightly, I threw the shirt back on.

I took in the reflection I saw before me. I could finally be me. But something was missing. Still. I racked my brain, forcing myself to ignore an unsettling urge that crashed over me, almost in waves.

Finally, a good five minutes later, I took out my cell. Running my fingers over the spider-cracked glass, I took a staggered breath. I collected myself, and brought up Blake's messages. Sighing, I took a picture of myself. I hesitated. Was I sure I really wanted this? With a nod, I hit "send."

A few moments later, Blake texted back. "Riley," it said. "Why's you send me a pic of your bro?"

"It's not Alex," I replied, hoping he'd understand. "It's me: Ashton. You're boyfriend."

There was a long, silent pause. I held my breath as Blake composed a reply. "Oh, cool. Sorry, Ash. You look too much like him. :)"

Ecstatic, I let out a cry. Throwing my phone onto the bed, I ran all the way to Blake's apartment.

When he opened the door, I rammed into him. "Thank you," I whispered, my tears soaking his white t-shirt.

"For what?" he replied. "You're finally allowing yourself to come free. That's what matters."

Panikos wrote a review...

Hiya, GodHatesShane! Pan dropping in for a quick review. As this is such a short piece, I'm just going to work through it and comment as I go.

1) Opening a story with the character looking in the mirror is a bit of a cliché. Even if said character does have a pretty valid reason to scrutinise themselves, it's been done so many times before that it turns me off automatically.

2) I was a bit confused by the fact that the main character doesn't seem to focus on the parts of their appearance that they don't like, or even the parts that are particularly 'feminine'. If they were looking at their long hair and their clean jaw and soft skin, I could understand it better, because they're the kind of features that might (though god knows I'm no expert) bring about dysphoria. Unblemished skin and straight hair are pretty neutral features, so I don't really understand why they pick those out.

once that was done, grabbed a pair of kitchen shears.

Kitchen shears? They sound pretty unwieldy! Wouldn't a regular pair of scissors be better for cutting hair?

Piece by piece, lock by lock, my hair floated down to the ground until I had a masculine undercut that tickled my forehead. Smiling a genuine grin, I stood up and jogged into my brother, Alex's room.

Not to put a damper on things, but I find it a bit unrealistic that Ashton would be able to just give himself a successful undercut. It's not exactly easy to cut your own hair. Unless he's got some kind of hairdresser training or something, or he often cuts his own hair.

"Why'd you send me a pic of your bro?"

"It's not Alex," I replied, hoping he'd understand. "It's me: Ashton. Your boyfriend."

I've put some grammatical corrections in bold - small stuff.

Even though this is sweet and I'm glad that the story gets a happy ending, I do have some questions about the realism. Even if Blake is the loveliest, most supportive boyfriend who loves Ash no matter what, I can't believe that he wouldn't at least be taken aback to learn that he was trans. It seems as if Ashton has never even discussed this with Blake prior to sending that photo, so it's bound to be a surprise. I question whether Ashton would reveal this fact about himself so abruptly, especially over an impersonal medium like text. It could've backfired so easily. The fact that Blake was so instantly understanding and accepting feels like a bit of a fairytale.

I'm not saying Blake has to be angry or anything, but I can't help but think the story would be stronger - and more emotional - if his reaction was more realistic. You could take a softer, rawer approach to Ash's transition. Maybe Ash could tell Blake how he felt face to face. Maybe Blake could be taken aback and need time to adjust to the information, but ultimately decide to support him and help him become the person he wants to be. Everything just feels too quick at the moment. You don't even touch on the matters of Ash's family - how will all of them react when they find out that he's cut his hair and adopted a new name? It's a very sudden action to take, and while it would be nice if people could reinvent themselves without worrying about the consequences, life isn't like that.

That's my main thought about the story, really. I'd love it to take a slower approach. The characters aren't really complex enough and there's not enough conflict. All that happens is that Ashton decides to reinvent himself and his boyfriend is perfectly okay with it. It would be more interesting and more rewarding if the story was about a person who reinvented themselves in the face of difficulties, having to deal with the changing nature of their relationships. He could still get his happy ending, but it would feel more touching if it was subtler and less blatantly perfect - especially seeing as so little in life ever is.

That's my opinion, anyhow. Obviously the decision rests with you. I do think you've got a story idea that has a lot of potential to be really moving if executed right.

Keep writing! :D
~Pan

atlast says...

Pan,
Thank you so, so much for the wonderful review!

Honestly, I agree with what you said about the cliches, the not so realistic reaction Blake has, and the too fast pace. For the competition I wrote this in, I only had 40 minutes to write this, so there are definitely a lot of faults and slip ups. I don't think I'm going to rewrite this piece itself, but as I progress with the novel I am writing that is more or less based on the story above, I will definitely keep all of your suggestions in mind!

Thanks again,
Shane :)

Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:39 am

A lovely and emotional story, and with a happy ending too.

Here's a few of my thoughts:

in this part it seemed a bit odd that it was in "mock concern" especially because as a reader I'm going to read that as Blake really being concerned, then have to go back and correct it in my head once I've made it through the end of the sentence. If Blake's not really concerned, point out that tone before the statement's said, and if he is concerned, then take the tag out all together.

you're missing a space there after the period, and I think you should omit either the word "out" or "off" because using both is a bit redundant. I do like how you follow that line with the sound of the heels clicking, because it gives the reader an idea of what the speaker might be wearing without having to do an info dump or spell it all out. Good sensory description.

Smiling a genuine grin, I stood up and jogged into my brother, Alex's room.

I don't think you need the end comma, or perhaps there should be another one after "Alex's" - the way it reads currently is "I ran into my brother" rather than "I ran into my brother's room".

I love how you build up the scene about Ashton doing all these things to feel more like themselves and how each time there's still just something not quite right that they have to correct - it build a lot of suspense, especially when they finally text their boyfriend.

When the boyfriend texts back, I was a bit confused as to why they first thought Ashton was Riley, had they not talked about Ashton's preferred name? And if they didn't than how did Blake know once Ashton told them who they were. It just struck me as slightly confusing, and mostly because I wanted to know more background.

Finally that end scene was super sweet - though I got a bit confused in the last line who was speaking so you might want to say "Blake replied" rather than "he replied" just to keep things clear.

Overall, nice story, best of luck in any competitions or further writing you do with it!

~alliyah

atlast says...

Thank you so much for the review! I really appreciate the suggestions, which were super helpful! :D

zaminami says...

That is the best bf ever

atlast says...

Agreed

zaminami says...

I wish that I could have that bf

atlast says...

sAME

Most people ignore most poetry because most poetry ignores most people.
— Adrian Mitchell