16+

Pseyechia; Chapter 1.3: A News Story

by GeorgiaMasonIII

I've been trying to do the post-NaNo hack-and-slash to cut out what I have started calling "NaNo fluff" in this story, but I'm in the nascent stages of developing my editing skills. I have the same concerns as always: whether or not the character's voice is consistent and unnecessary NaNo fluff that I left in.

---

“Anyway, I got to lab too late. Usually the news is more or less background noise, but…did you watch the news this morning?”

Nia shook her head. “I’ve started listening to music while I get ready. I’ve been going through a Puffy AmiYumi renaissance.”

Sienna was given an opportunity to think about why that sounded familiar; her name was called and the barista handed over her the breakfast and drink. She blew on the latte’s surface for a moment and took a long sip of it, letting herself enjoy the unusual jangle of flavors. “Puffy AmiYumi…why does that sound so familiar?”

Teen Titans.

Sienna tried and failed to make sense of that remark. “I don’t get it.”

“They sang the theme song!”

Oh!” Sienna’s eyes widened. “Those two Japanese ladies who look like they’re permanently teenagers and all of their songs sound like they just chugged six Red Bulls?”

“Oh, come on. They aren’t that hyper,” Nia insisted. “Especially for J-pop.”

“I did like ‘Call Me What You Like (If You Like Rock and Roll)’.”

“You would. That’s the least Puffy AmiYumi of all their songs.”

Sienna made a moue. “The rest of their stuff is all so…peppy.”

Nia shook her head. “Sienna Kaye Meducci, I swear…do you like anything happy?”

“I do, sometimes!” Sienna protested. “I like you!”

Nia burst out laughing. “You realize this is why people think we’re dating.”

Sienna eyed the clock on the far wall of the café. “Right now, I don’t care. I care way more about being late for the second thing today, and this time it’s class. With Rabinowitz.” She had been eating her muffin and bacon during their conversation; now she crammed her remaining bacon into her mouth.

“Neuropharm?”

“Yeah.” Sienna shouldered her backpack. “Good thing I have my bike or I’d be screwed.”

“I had that class last year,” said Nia as they headed out of the café. “Rabinowitz is a stickler for time, and takes a lot of his test questions from the captions of the figures in the textbook.”

Sienna groaned as she tossed her paper plate into a nearby trashcan. “Right. Because that’s a great way to teach us.”

“I still remember a lot from that class. Anyway, you aren’t going into neuropharm, you’re going into neuropsych. And you’ve autodidact-ed a ton of neuropharm with that pet project of yours.”

“I can’t believe you just turned ‘autodidact’ into a verb, but aside from that questionable bit of grammar, you’re right.” Sienna shivered as she slid the latte into one of the backpack’s side pockets.

“You cold, my wahine?”

“Yeah…I was a loser this morning and forgot my jacket. And what would your family think if they heard you call me that? I’m not Hawai’ian, just Mediterranean as hell. Ischia. Very different island from Kauai.”

“They named my sisters Chenguan and Puanani and then gave up for my name, remember? I think they’ve stopped caring.”

Sienna was still kneeling beside her bike. Nia laid the fingertips of both hands on her friend's head and closed her eyes, focusing intently. A few seconds later, pleasant warmth spread throughout Sienna’s body. “Ahhh. Thanks, Nia.”

He mea iki. Montana is cold. I don’t know how you mainlanders stand it.” Nia zipped up her bright pink ski jacket.

“I wonder,” Sienna mused aloud as she strapped on her helmet and mounted her bike, “if you actually increase my core temperature or just change my thermoreception.”

“Maybe you should do your special studies on that,” Nia joked.

Sienna paused. “That. Would be. Amazing. But a result from a single subject would be useless, so we’d have to get a bunch of other students to participate…and then we’d have to get the IRB involved, and I’m pretty sure the university would collectively shit itself if I asked to let you Psych students.”

“It was a joke!”

“It was a joke with a really good idea embedded in it.”

“If it weren’t unethical. Or at least, unethical according to a lot of people.” Nia wrinkled her nose.

Another tardy for neuropharm would mean a reduction in Sienna’s grade, but she wasn’t about to cycle off after accidentally hurting her friend’s feelings. “I didn’t mean to say I thought it was unethical,” she blurted out. “I think it would be totally fine as long as we get consent. But I think Emberdale might, um, disagree.”

Nia raised her eyebrows. “Sienna, I wasn’t talking about you. You just let me warm you up. Me ke aloha pumehana.”

Sienna could have kicked herself, but she laughed; ordinarily, only romantic partners uttered the Hawai’ian phrase Nia had just used. But as its literal translation was “with the warmth of my love”, Nia enjoyed employing that phrase with Sienna half the times she made her friend feel warm.

“Okay. Sorry. Thanks. I, um. Yeah, I have to go.” Sienna mentally cursed her clumsy tongue. “Don’t want to be late for Rabinowitz’s class.”

Nia laughed. Had it been anyone but Nia, Sienna would have thought she was being mocking. “Aloha ‘oe.

Aloha ‘oe,” echoed Sienna, resisting the urge to sing the words to the tune she had known from Lilo and Stitch for years before meeting Nia. She cycled off at full speed, hoping the liquid level in her latte was low enough that it wouldn’t splash everywhere.

She made it to class barely on time, where she pretended to gaze attentively at the PowerPoint on her laptop screen while thoroughly scrubbing her coffee-stained backpack with a portable detergent pen. She was recording the lecture using an app on her phone anyway; she would listen to it later, having figured out in her first year that focusing on a lecture for 90 minutes solid before 11 AM was simply not going to happen. She had concerns about dealing with morning classes in graduate school, but if she tried to get a job working in Psych neurochemistry with only a bachelor’s, she would have slim pickings; she might end up working for a Psychphobe who treated people like Nia as a plague on society.

Or a Psychphobe who would engage in Psych-bashing, like the assholes on the news this morning. The thought pulled Sienna’s focus back to the Psych Squad. Who the hell were they? She couldn’t help but wonder how they had found each other. Had they been part of a Psych support group? Or had they met online? Could one go on Craigslist and put up an ad for powerful Psychs in order to form a vigilante squad that protected other Psychs from violent bigots? Or had they met on some kind of forum? She knew that those sites existed—Nia belonged to a few of them—but she had never visited one herself. She wasn’t a Psych; it felt like spying.

For the rest of the lecture, Sienna mused on the Psych Squad. It had been beyond refreshing to see someone standing up for Psychs, especially after a few Psych stories on the news that had made her rage aloud until Wendy had snapped at her to shut up. About a month ago, she had missed lab to watch an SWBC report detailing several cases of “accidental” head injury that had occurred when police arrested people they knew to be Psychs. There had been another story, this one close to the beginning of the school year, about Psychphobia from a legal standpoint; she recalled interviews with Psychs who had been petitioning for the hate crimes statute in Montana to cover crimes motivated by the fact that the victim had Psychic Ability Syndrome.

By the end of the class period, Sienna was thinking of how the Psych Squad’s outfits were much more practical than what the costuming departments for Watchmen and Kickass had dreamed up, and she startled when she noticed her classmates closing their laptops and packing their backpacks. She hastily followed, her mind still swimming with thoughts of the Psych Squad’s choice of their apparel.

Sienna ordinarily had to return to lab after neuropharm, but today she tapped out a quick email on her phone saying she wasn’t feeling well and sent it off to her lab mentor. There was no doubt in her mind that if she tried to do yet another one of her mentor’s doomed-to-fail experiments with this much on her mind, she would make mistakes and have to repeat the experiments anyway. Instead of wasting her time on that, she headed back to her dorm, engaged in the perennial struggle to connect to the school’s patchy wireless network, and tried to find more reports on the morning’s anti-Psych protest and the intervention of the Psych Squad.

In her quest to learn more, Sienna scoured the reports from multiple news stations that had obtained footage of the event. After a thorough perusal of the YouTube channels belonging to every news station she could think of, she had found about a dozen amateur videos of the Psych Squad.

“Really?” she muttered as she closed the browser. “SWBC got the best videos? All that for nothing.” She sat back in her chair and tilted her head to the side. “Well…maybe not nothing.” Her jaw set, she leaned forward and re-opened YouTube.

Twenty minutes later, Sienna opened a Microsoft Word document and typed out:

-no pro videos of Squad

-all videos taken from far away

-all stations cut video short at same time

*all videos stop as Squad takes off

*why???

Sienna had no answer for that “why”. Could it have been a journalistic decision? She debated whether or not to contact Leroy, the wannabe journalist from First Year Composition, seeing as he might perceive her question as romantic interest in him. She repressed a shudder of disgust at that thought, but eventually curiosity won out.

Megrim wrote a review...

Hello again! I'm excited to visit the next installment and I hope you get another up soon. I like the story, especially the sciency-ness, and the characters (the side characters are great--Nia and Paeton!). I have to admit I also like working with someone who's actually willing to try and cut stuff :P Usually people are like, "Every word is a piece of my SOUL!" Which makes it harder for me to say things like...

I don't think the story has started yet, and potentially you could do some major surgery on your early chapters. It's hard to for me to suggest specifics since I haven't seen where the story goes yet. But based on my initial impressions, the psych squad and the psychphobia are going to be important components, and Serious Stuff will happen soon. Paeton and Nia have been introduced now for use later on; I get the sense that everything about both them and Sienna is set-up at this point, like a "meet all the characters first" before we get into The Plot.

Somewhere along the way, I'll point out if something stands out to me as the inciting incident, but I don't think we're there yet. Currently you've portrayed the appearance of the psych squad as the inciting incident, but I don't think that's it. Sienna hasn't made a life-altering decision or reached the point of no return yet. Most of this is going about her daily life as usual. And I don't recommend "daily life" first chapters. My advice, in general, is to do a few paragraphs/page or so of "normal life" set-up, then get that turning point into the first chapter right away. Because that's your hook, and in chapter 1 you still need to establish reader trust and keep them from putting the book down.

As an example of what I mean, a lot of the conversation in this chapter doesn't amount to much. The exchange about the music group, for instance, adds a LOT of lines, but no real information. There's a teensy bit of characterization in there, but you spend a lot of words for a small return. There's writing advice out there that every single sentence/paragraph should further plot, character, AND setting. My rule of thumb is that you're doing pretty good if you can hit two of the three at all times. So an extended exchange that ONLY furthers one? Time to get the axe.

I think one of my favorite things about this chapter is how subtly you introduced Nia's powers. It snuck up on me before I even realized it. Such a natural way to show us she's a psych, and get us thinking about all the implications there. (At least, it was[i] subtle, until you added, [i]Nia enjoyed employing that phrase with Sienna half the times she used her Psych ability to make Sienna feel warm.)

Oh, one other small thing I noticed was proper nouns vs pronouns - you use Sienna's name an awful lot. I know it's really hard to manage pronouns with two characters of the same sex, but in general the POV feels deeper the more you can replace the POVC's name with the pronoun.

Let me know when the next one's up!

Thanks for the review! I'll work on not using Sienna's name too much and not spelling out that Nia's warming power is a Psych thing.

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to disagree with some of your writing advice. You may not start out stories with a character going about their daily life, and that's fine. You do you. But I can think of several formative books from my youth--"Star Split" by Kathryn Lasky, "Leaving Fishers" by Margaret Haddix, "Speak" by Laurie Halse Anderson, "The Ear, the Eye, and the Arm" by Nancy Farmer--that start out with the character's daily life and still held my attention. You're right that something Big is coming that will change Sienna's life forever, but a key decision that she makes is 1) based on her knowledge of the Psych Squad's activities, 2) motivated by how much she cares about Nia, and 3) rely on the audience knowing about Psychs and Psychphobia, so I have to spend some time setting up those things. Maybe I will end up doing major surgery on chapter 1. But I'm not willing to do a great amount of hacking and slashing until the Big Life-Changing Event happens and I hear "I could have done without xyz" from readers.

Megrim says...

Don't underestimate how well you can establish things like her relationship with Nia and the existence of psychphobia in a short amount of space! But we'll see when we get to that moment how things are looking.

BluesClues wrote a review...

Mmmmm...well, from what I remember of this chapter and the last one I read, I don't think her question would NECESSARILY be seen as romantic interest. It entirely depends on what kind of guy Leroy is.

BUT ANYWAY.

I'm not sure what in this story was originally "Nano fluff," but I don't think there was any in this chapter. At least, nothing seemed awkward or weird or off, as if you'd just written it during a month of literary abandon, while slaphappy from lack of sleepy and hyped up on coffee. The details in this chapter unrelated to the main plot were good character details--like Nia and Sienna's respective attitudes toward Puffy AmiYumi.

You also didn't slip out of Sienna's viewpoint at any time that I noticed. So that answers both your questions, I think.

I love that Nia is Hawai'ian--like, Hawai'ian, Hawai'ian, where she speaks the language and everything. The use of Hawai'ian phrases is a nice way to show us how connected she is to her cultural heritage while also embracing her American culture. Plus, she's just super fun. And now that I know and love her, it makes the story more suspenseful--we've already seen scenes of anti-Psych sentiment, and now we know a character who could be in some serious danger from such movements.

Anything's possible if you've got enough nerve.
— J.K. Rowling