The Widow Queen Prologue

by GBKiller

Ridza pulled his armor over his head and made sure it was secure before looking at himself in the mirror. Sun yellow eyes stared back at him then wandered to examine his appearance. Messy, blaze red hair, but how messy it was wouldn't matter in the duel. Sun-kissed skin, and a toned physique. He wore steel with a sheath for his steel sword while his shield laid on his bed, ready to be used. He subconsciously licked his lips before taking a deep breath. This was it. In just a few moments, he was going to go out into the arena to meet his brother, let the audience listen to and watch the clashing of steel against steel, and take the crown which was rightfully his. Really, it originally wasn't, but he was so confident in his strength that he considered said crown his.

He remembered when he argued with their parents about the arrangement all those years ago. How could his brother, who was as meek as a butterfly, be able to take the throne!? He wouldn't be able to protect his kingdom when the time came! But of course, their argument was age, then eventually they relented with, "Alright. When you are eighteen... Fine, when your brother is eighteen, you two will have to partake in a duel against each other. Whoever wins shall rightfully take the throne, while the other shall be cast away from the castle for ten years to let his anger boil away, though if it still exists by the time the tenth year has come, then whichever one who loses is allowed to come back and demand a rematch. Does that sound suitable to your liking?" Of course, it did! It was the earliest possible time that they would agree to, as it was likely they would die before then, so there would be a need for someone to become the king by that time.

A knock on the door disturbed his thoughts, so he turned to look at it and queried, "Yes?"

"My prince-"

"Ah ah ah, king."

A gulp could be heard from behind the door before the servant continued.

"Then, m-my king, are you prepared for the duel?"

"Yes, but I need a second to collect my thoughts."

"Of course." There were sounds of feet shuffling away, so the soon-to-be king looked back to the mirror and sighed. Was he really going to do this? Was he really going to try and fight his brother just to be king first?

"Of course I am."

With that, he stepped away from the gold-framed mirror to the bed, picked up the wooden shield by the handle, went to the door, and left his room, possibly leaving it for the last time, but also possibly making it the last time he leaves it to make contact with his brother for the next ten years.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aaahhh my first story posted on the site! I hope it's ok. Any feedback would be much appreciated! And, I know I made Ridza annoyingly arrogant. I might make a time skip that goes over the fight and ten years, but I might write the fight then time skip. What do you guys think? I'm sorry for the mix-up, but Romance is the dominant genre here. Hope that doesn't deter you from reading more chapters!

Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:59 pm
Twit wrote a review...

Hi!

Ridza pulled his armor over his head and made sure it was secure before looking at himself in the mirror.

Nice first line. The mention of armour is a hint about setting and gives an idea about the situation we're opening with.

Sun yellow eyes stared back at him then wandered to examine his appearance. Messy, blaze red hair, but how messy it was wouldn't matter in the duel. Sun-kissed skin, and a toned physique.

I like how you drop in the mention of the duel, but the rest of this feels a little clumsy. It's hard to drop in character description subtly, but this feels like a distraction. You've introduced armour, and then that there's an oncoming duel, so at this point the focus should be on that, not what colour the protagonist's eyes are. You lose some tension by shifting the focus from situation to hair.

In just a few moments, he was going to go out into the arena to meet his brother, let the audience listen to and watch the clashing of steel against steel, and take the crown which was rightfully his. Really, it originally wasn't, but he was so confident in his strength that he considered said crown his.

I feel you could make this much more closer in Ridza's head by taking out some of the filtering. Like instead of "Really, it originally wasn't, but he was so confident in his strength that he considered said crown his" you could either let the first sentence sit as it is, and let the phrase "rightfully his" show us he's confident, or add something like "Maybe some of the nobles would dispute his claim, but he was strong enough to win this duel. The crown was basically already his." By taking out phrases like "he considered" you can present his thoughts as part of the narrative, and it makes them a more integral part of the story.

This is a lot of exposition. You could condense this down a lot because at this point we don't need to know the exact details of the duel. That kind of detail can come later. You're still in the prologue here, so everything needs to hook in the reader - at this point the priority should be creating tension - Ridza is about to fight a duel and the stakes are high. We don't need to know all of the details of the stakes as I think this paragraph is a little slow and stops the story from moving forward while you explain what's happening. Basically you could condense this into a line like: "His meek butterfly of a brother wouldn't be able to stand against him. This duel would be over in moments, and he would win the crown that should have been his all along."

"Ah ah ah, king." A gulp could be heard from behind the door before the servant continued.

Put the dialogue and action on two different lines, otherwise it looks like the dialogue is the servant's.

Was he really going to do this? Was he really going to try and fight his brother just to be king first?

"Of course I am."

This feels too self-aware, like you the author are telling us about the character rather than Ridza having this distance from himself and his motivations. I would try making this ruthlessness a part of the narrative, maybe have Ridza think about how hard he's trained, or how he's studied his brother's technique, how he has an advantage against his opponent because he knows him so well, how this duel will be easier than others he's fought because of that.

This feels a bit obvious and it doesn't fit with the tense. I would delete it and just have the action of leaving the room be dramatic in its simplicity.

-

So, honestly, I think you could have made Ridza more arrogant. I like the situation you've created, it's a cool story conflict, and I would definitely read on to see what happens next. I think you could make this stronger by getting deeper into Ridza's narrative voice, and that will both show more of his arrogance and make the writing more compelling. Think more about idioms and phrases he might use, bits he might focus on more than another character, what his priorities are - things that will bleed through the writing and make the narrative voice more unique and colourful.

-twit

Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:08 pm

Hello! A late welcome to YWS. And Happy Birthday!! I'm here to review this proogue.

First Impression: Nifty little prologue right there. Certainly sounds really interesting. I like the character of Ridza well enough and the premise is really good.

This is a great opening description there. We get a really good look at what sort of character Ridza is. His personality comes through very well as arrogant. And making him annoyingly arrogant is not a problem at all. If anything it gives you a great opening for his character to grow to be less arrogant. And if he's the bad guy then it makes the reader hate him which is what you want. So in general it's great to have your character have a trait like that. The problem would be if he had no defining trait at all.

Well this is a very interesting and new way of deciding who gets the throne. I kinda really like this idea. Very simple and pretty effective.

"Ah ah ah. King." A gulp could be heard from behind the door before the servant continued.

king shouldn't be capitalized there.

That part sounds a little awkward right there. Maybe something like possibly making it the last time he would make contact

I might make a time skip that goes over the fight and ten years, but I might write the fight then time skip. What do you guys think?

I think showing the fight would be cooler but that's just me.

And that's it for this one.

Overall: Really interesting prologue. I would love it if you could tag me when you release the next chapter. Fantasy/Romance is my favorite genre to read. I like the premise and I think it's a pretty good prologue.

GBKiller says...

Thank you! I did feel like the contact part was a little awkward when I was writing it, but I meant to say that the first option was Ridza getting banished, and the second was Redja getting banished, so our protagonist either would leave his room for the last time altogether unless he wanted a rematch after those ten years or would leave his room to see his brother for the last time. I'll try to think of a way to make it less weird. Did I overuse the word steel? Sorry about that. And I'll definitely make sure to tag you! Although, the fantasy part is more of an undertone while romance is an overtone. Sorry for the deception, but I could make the queen-to-be an elf just to help with that part. I hope that that doesn't deter you from reading the chapters to come!

KateHardy says...

Your Welcome!!
Right that makes more sense.
Oh that's fine. I like a good romance story too!! I'll definitely read the chapters to come.

Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:42 am
brotherGeo wrote a review...

Hello comrade I shall review this now:

Also welcome to YWS!

This has a lot of potential to be very interesting novel, there are many paths you could go with Ridza if he is the main character if course. Personally I prefer a flawed character so Ridza's arrogance is a nice touch. (I am a big fan of antiheros)
A time skip would be interesting seeing the loser ofnthe duel change over time, also seeing thier reaction to losing and first few days/weeks of being exiled would be good. Your writing style is good and fluent, keep it up, I am looking forward to reading the first chapter.
-brotherGeo

Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:19 pm
JesseWrites wrote a review...

Hello there,

First Impression:

Oh, this is a cute little prologue. It has a lot of potential to be a good novel/whatever your plan for it is. Of course there are some bits that could be fixed up or phrased in a different way, but that is totally normal for a first draft. And don't worry about anything because this seems fine so far.

Ridza's personality is a little arrogant, but if that is what you think fits the dynamic and character, you do it because it's your story and you can make it work with a little bit of time and some patience.

Also, welcome to the site!

Lines I Think Could Use Something:

Really, it originally wasn't, but he was so confident in his strength that he considered said crown his.

I believe that phrase is a little strange. It looks a little messy in ways, so maybe just look over at ideas to make it more neat, or just word it in another way that sounds much better aloud.

"Alright. When you are eighteen... Fine, when your brother is eighteen, you two will have to partake in a duel against each other. Whoever wins shall rightfully take the throne, while the other shall be cast away from the castle for ten years to let his anger boil away, though if it still exists by the time the tenth year has come, then whichever one who loses is allowed to come back and demand a rematch. Does that sound suitable to your liking?"

I don't think that is the best way to do that because it seems a little unprofessional and this is royalty, so they wouldn't be. Add more large words to draw in the reader and make it look more real as dialogue flows out based on character's personality, not just your writing style that you prefer.

Again, looks off. Also, it really does well showing the character and how they act in some situations, which is good.

Grammar:

Hm. I don't see anything here.

Have a good day,
Haley.

GBKiller says...

Thank you, thank you, thank you! There isn't any amount of times I can sufficiently say I'm grateful for the review. I'll change those parts so that it's better! Again, thank you so much.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names.
— Chinese proverb