'I am Everything'

by Flux

A/N: So here is my bizarre script about a lady's conversation with Death when she finds herself dead. It was inspired by the amazing description of Death that was given by the wonderful Cornelia Funke in Inkdeath. I will allow you to tear it apart. It will be my future reference if I ever decide to post again. I know it is odd, so be warned. And i know it is pointless, so also be warned. Thanks, happy reading :? This is my first ever script.

- - -

Characters

DEATH

WOMAN

Setting

An old graveyard with dense fog hanging low near the ground. There are wrought iron gates with a crow sitting atop. There is only one gravestone with no name, because vines had long before taken over.

Start~

WOMAN

W-where am I? [Stares around herself, confused.]

DEATH

Where do you think you are?

WOMAN

[She searches for the source of the voice, only to find an old crow.]

DEATH

Don’t look so sad. There’s no reason to be feeling sorry for yourself. After all, it was you yourself that got you into this mess.

WOMAN

How can I feel sorry for myself? I don’t even know where I am! [Falls back onto a grave stone and heaves out a heavy sigh.]

DEATH

Don’t pretend like you don’t know. Of course you do! This is the beginning of your end.

WOMAN

The beginning of my end?

DEATH

Why yes. Without endings, we cannot have beginnings.

[The crow lets out a caw and settles itself on the WOMAN’s shoulder.]

WOMAN

You’re DEATH, aren’t you?

DEATH

That is one name they call me, yes.

WOMAN

So I’ve died?

DEATH

You make it sound so ironic. It is not. We all have to die at some point in time.

WOMAN

But mine was so soon! [almost sounds pleading.]

DEATH

You’re the one who made it that way.

WOMAN

What do you mean?

DEATH

Well, do you feel like you accomplished anything in life?

WOMAN

What does that have to do with my death?

DEATH

So you were hoping for your ‘Happily Ever After’ am I right?

WOMAN

Why, yes.

DEATH

It was those false hopes you had as a child that got you here. You’re nothing more than a dancer. You expected life to go the way you wanted it to. But look at where you ended up.

WOMAN

How come you know so much about me?

DEATH

I am DEATH, of course. I am everything. The wind in the willows, the starved cat in the alleyway, the stars in the sky. Because, you see, everything has an end. And if everything has an end, then I am everything.

WOMAN

But why am I here? I did nothing to deserve this! [Tears begin to roll down her face as she realizes everything DEATH is saying is true.]

DEATH

Oh, but you did, my dear friend. By dancing your way through life, you caused pain to others who had to work hard for the things you got so easily. So why should you not feel pain after the euphoria?

WOMAN

But what will I do for an eternity of time if I’m living in a pointless and desolate place such as this?

DEATH

What do you think, foolish being? You will serve me, as you were meant and born to do. I will not let you dance your way through the afterlife after you put so many through pain while you soared across the grounds of mortality.

WOMAN

But that cannot be right! There has to be some way that I can redeem myself and live a ‘Happily Ever After’!

DEATH

You should’ve thought about that before you decided to live your life the way you did.

[DEATH soars into the sky, leaving the lady behind.]

- - -

Thanks for reading my strange and pointless script!

LaReina!

Flux says...

Thanks for reviewing!

I agree that 'Death' isn't everything, but still, I figured that he'd think he was. I believe in the Lord, so technically he is everything.

Anyways, thanks for the reviews everyone! Honest reviews, just what I like!

tori1234 wrote a review...

It had a nice lesson at the end of the story, I just didn't like the way death talks. Death isn't everything, and it may be everywhere, doesn't mean it IS everything. If I had to give this story a thumbs up or thumbs down, I'd have to choose thumbs down.

Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:31 am
Meep(: wrote a review...

LaReina wrote:Setting

Start~ (Not necessary)

WOMAN

DEATH
Where do you think you are?

WOMAN

DEATH
Don’t look so sad. There’s no reason to be feeling sorry for yourself. After all, it was you yourself that got you into this mess. (Awkward phrasing: After all, you were the one who got yourself into this mess)

WOMAN
How can I feel sorry for myself? I don’t even know where I am! [Falls back onto a grave stone and heaves out a heavy sigh.] (She's 'given up' already? I find it strange that she reacts that way and is so comfortable with falling back on a gravestone and sighs heavily. It'd be more likely that she's apprehensive and wary of her surroundings. A Graveyard isn't exactly anyone's cup of tea.)

DEATH

WOMAN
The beginning of my end?

DEATH
Why yes. Without endings, we cannot have beginnings. (Comma after why.)

WOMAN
You’re DEATH, aren’t you? (Don't capitalise his entire name when she's speaking it. The first letter will suffice. Or if you want her to emphasis on his name, italicise it.)

DEATH
That is one name they call me, yes.

WOMAN
So I’ve died? (Add physical actions to convey how the woman is feeling as well. Or add verbs/adjectives)

DEATH

WOMAN
But mine was so soon! [almost sounds pleading.] (Almost sounded like a plea)

DEATH
You’re the one who made it that way.

WOMAN
What do you mean?

DEATH

WOMAN

DEATH
So you were hoping for your ‘Happily Ever After’ am I right? (Comma after 'so' and after 'After')

WOMAN
Why, yes.

DEATH

WOMAN
How come you know so much about me? (How did you come to know so much about me?)

DEATH

WOMAN

DEATH

WOMAN
But what will I do for an eternity of time if I’m living in a pointless and desolate place such as this? (What will I do for all eternity)

DEATH

WOMAN

DEATH

Well, I didn't find it pointless, LaReina!
It was not bad! I especially liked the part where Death explains why he is everything.
Though, you were a bit vague about the Woman's life.
I would have liked to know what was she like, what pain did she cause, how was she successful.
I would hvae like my hysterical action descriptions from the Woman.
Only little errors here and there, so that's good! :D
It kept my attention till the end.
Still, this plot has the potential to become something bigger!
So feel free to PM me if you ever expand it, and I'll give you another review.

Oh, and the crow on her shoulder got kind of...forgotten.
Wasn't the Woman bothered by it at all?

~Have nice day! :D
Meep(:

Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:00 am
Ariana Valentine wrote a review...

It was good, I like how there was a story line, even with as short as it was. I think you did alot of your formating right, I act and it looked like an actual profesionall script. I thought that the Women character was kind of in denial, and I think that that was very fitting of the character. And the way Death was, was just amazing. All of the dialogue was amazing.

Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:11 am
How2EataRhesus wrote a review...

Hiii. :] Just a few nitpicks here for the sake of extremely unreasonable perfectionism:

I am DEATH, of course.

There's nothing really wrong with the dialogue above, it just seems to be a little theatrical for the character...I would imagine that Death would be sort of hardened, and not really bother with the melodrama. :]

You’re DEATH, aren’t you?

Character names aren't capitalized when they're used in dialogue.

Great piece!

Flux says...

Thanks for reviewing!

There really was no point to it, actually. I just wanted to write something with Death. The description of Death in Cornelia Funke's Inkdeath was amazing. I really liked it.

LaReina!

Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:33 am
Trikky wrote a review...

It will be my future reference if I ever decide to post again.

Haha, no pressure, right? xD
Ah well. I'll try my best and hopefully you won't be too discouraged. ^^;

After all, it was you yourself that got you into this mess.

Too many 'you's. Try, "After all, you got yourself into this mess."

WOMAN

She sounds like she's feeling pretty sorry for herself... or at least I would if I didn't know where I was!

The wind in the willows, the starved cat in the alleyway, the stars in the sky.

All of these metaphors are cliches. I know they sound nice, but that's exactly why they get used so often. Take a few minutes next time to think of some more original ones.

All in all, this was really entertaining! I enjoyed a lot of Death's dialogue, and the woman's lines were pretty funny. The only thing I'm left wondering is what the meaning of it was. It seems to me that the idea is, "You should have a hard time in life because if you don't you're undermining the efforts of others." I know people who don't have to struggle in life, but that doesn't mean that they're not working hard or that they mean to devalue someone else's work. They're just talented-- and I wouldn't say that talent is a crime.

So, a great piece writing-wise, but philosophically/morally I don't agree with it. It's still fun to read, though. ^^

That smells like the inside of a tropical rainforest.
— Yoshikrab's friend