z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Adventures of the North Pole: The Missing Lists (Part 1)

by LuminescentAnt


All the way to the top of the globe, where a layer of powdered white lay atop the land all year round, stood the North Pole. It was always winter there, but at that time, it was truly winter, because in the winter there was Christmas, and that was the time when all the elves started working all day, every day to bring presents to children on Christmas Eve. As soon as the clock struck midnight on December 1st, the lights of Santa’s Workshop lit up like a beacon, and the elves started their work.

The workshop was filled with elves working to gather all the materials that were needed for items that would be given to the kids around the world. Video game consoles and iPads were a common shipping item this year, as that seemed to be the new trend in toys on wishlists. Elves were bringing such items where they could be wrapped, and went back to get some more.

But right next to Santa’s workshop was a large shed with polished chestnut wood on the outside and festive lights hung across the snow-covered roof. It was the reindeer stable, where all of Santa’s reindeer resided, and were taken care of by a few elves.

One of those elves was named Bell. She along with two other elves were in charge of watching, grooming, feeding, and caring for the nine reindeer so they would be clean and healthy in time for Christmas Eve. Unfortunately, Bell was often the one asked to dispose of reindeer excrement, as she did so without verbal complaint, although inside, she had grown tired of doing so a long time ago, but it was the habit now of the reindeer caretaker elves. Bell knew her job was important, but she couldn’t help but feel jealous about the workshop elves who go to see and wrap wonderful presents and work in a place that smelled like peppermint. Instead, she had to take care of these complacent, often-pooping reindeer who no one even got to see anyway. Bell had never even been allowed to see the inside of the workshop.

It was still early December, and Bell was carrying bags of Dasher’s and Vixen’s poop to the trash can outside. It was a chilly morning, and the perfectly white, untouched snow crunched beneath her tiny feet. A droplet of water from a long and sharp icicle hanging from the edge of the roof dropped on her head. It was cold, and it didn’t help at all with the already biting cold wind.

Just as she was about to drop the bags of poop in the green and red striped trash can, (Bell had no idea why that had to make such a gross object festive too) she heard a voice behind her.

“Bell!” the voice called. Bell turned around. She could see short, curly red hair, and as soon as she saw that, she knew exactly who it was.

“What do you want, Gingersnap? I’m very busy throwing away deer dung in this holly jolly trash can.” Bell said with irritation. She herself wasn’t sure if she was being sarcastic or not. Gingersnap was Santa’s right hand elf, chief advisor, and best friend elf-wise. Ginger got to ride the sleigh with him every year on Christmas Eve and help him deliver presents. Out of all the elves who worked in the North Pole, Bell was most jealous of Ginger. And here he was, probably going to say some stupid, annoying thing in his stupid, annoying voice.

“Well, who am I to stop you? Maybe throw that away first, I have to tell you something important.” Ginger said.

“What important thing? Are you going to tell me about your very important trip around the world? Well you can skip that, because I do not care.” Bell told him, dumping the bags of poop in the trash.

Ginger scoffed. “Do you really think so lowly of me? I have something actually important to tell you, and it actually involves you.”

Bell didn’t expect anything very good. “Alright, then tell me.”

Ginger cleared his throat. “Yesterday, the Naughty-Nice Committee was supposed to give Santa the Naughty and Nice list yesterday. We looked everywhere, and we couldn’t find it! Without the lists, we can’t determine who gets presents and who doesn’t.”

Bell raised her eyebrows. “And what does this have to do with me?”

“Remember how you found Blizzard’s room key? We didn’t want to find a real detective since humans aren’t supposed to have proof of our existence, and it would also be inconvenient for the detective. We figured since you have a knack for finding things, we would ask you.” Ginger told her.

“Well that was kind of different when I found the room key. I didn't have the world’s Christmas fate resting on my shoulders.”

“If you hadn’t found it, Blizzard would have had to sleep in the workshop.” Ginger pointed out.

“True, but why would I even care about the Naughty and Nice list? It’s not like it will prevent me from having to throw out deer poop every day.” Bell said.

“Oh yeah,” Ginger said, a lightbulb lighting up in his brain. “I forgot to mention! Santa said that if you accept and do find the list, you will be promoted to being a workshop elf, and you will be allowed to ride on the sleigh with us on Christmas Eve this year.”

“WHAT?! I’m definitely going to find those lists now. Why didn’t you tell me that sooner?” Bell shrieked. She had never been more excited in her life. She would finally leave the stables and become a workshop elf! And she could ride the sleigh? She could not pass this opportunity.

“Santa told me to say the good part second, because you would be more convinced. I guess it worked!” Ginger chuckled.

“So what are we waiting for? Let’s go find those lists!” Bell said, racing towards the workshop, and dragging Ginger along. Of course, the first step was to ask Santa himself, because he was supposed to receive the lists anyway. This was going to be exciting!


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
16 Reviews


Points: 85
Reviews: 16

Donate
Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:02 am
View Likes
FrozenEntropy wrote a review...



See, this is how I know something is wrong with me. I write and consume mostly dark/horror stories, so when I came across this little story about an Elf, I figured it would be a nice break from my usual content. Then, when I got to the part about Bell being a pooper scooper elf who was jealous of the other workers, my brain went, "Ahhh, just the right motivations for an Elf to turn evil from insanity and go on a killing spree!"

Which of course, could still happen... maybe.

That aside, I really liked this as a part one opener. It does a lot of things right that all chapter one's of a story should. Establishing a main character, Bell. Establishing both a conflict as well as what separates the main character from all others. In this case, she's a reindeer poop cleaner elf, whatever the official name for that job is, and is presented with an opportunity to find the Naughty and Nice list and get a promotion. This is all to say, you did a wonderful job setting up the story here!

I love the distinct personality Bell has, someone who's almost cynical in nature but really does want a better life. After all, someone who's entirely lost hope wouldn't react so excitedly when given the chance to be promoted. It's nice to have a character with both somewhat relatable misery (Many of us have or will have jobs we hate) yet who is easy to root for given the fact that they haven't completely given up yet.

I do wonder why Santa and the Naughty Nice committee picked her of all elves though. They say she has a knack for finding things, though I wonder why they see that in an elf who picks up poop all day. I also liked the funny line where they go to her instead of a detective because humans aren't meant to know of elves and Santa, implying there are no Elf detectives, further implying there's no such thing as an Elf murderer and this will NOT become a killer elf story. Ah well. Now I wonder what other jobs Elves have in the North Pole. Guess I'll have to keep up and find out.

Thanks for writing and posting this!






Thank you for the review! Don't worry, this won't become a killer elf story, I promise. Maybe I should do that next year though... :wink:
I'm glad you enjoyed reading this chapter, it's good to know I did something good plot-wise.
Thanks again!



User avatar
31 Reviews


Points: 373
Reviews: 31

Donate
Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:13 pm
View Likes
herbalhour wrote a review...



hello ant, it's tea using a new method, the bubble tea method! (invented by me today)

Tea Base: The first impression. What did I think about this when I read it first?

As always, love your work! This is such a descriptive story, and was such a fun read. I cant wait to see part two. This felt very festive, and was very picturable? in my mind? like i could see the two talking in the snow.

Add-Ons: What could be added, what could be changed that would improve this work?

Personally, I really enjoyed this and can't find much to nitpick except:

“What do you want, Gingersnap? I’m very busy throwing away deer dung in this holly jolly trash can.” Bell said, in an annoyed expression.

You probably could've said, in an annoyed manner, or Bell said, irritation dripping from her voice, etc. I feel expression wasn't quite the right word to use.
Another thing is that you maybe could've added a bit of information of why Bell doesn't like Gingersnap. Maybe a short paragraph or something.

Toppings: What I loved about this work, What do you think was so genius?

I really, REALLY like stories about Christmas. There's something so fun and festive about them, i could practically DROWN in them. My favorite part was probably:
But right next to Santa’s workshop was a large shed with polished chestnut wood on the outside and festive lights hung across the snow-covered roof. It was the reindeer stable, where all of Santa’s reindeer resided, and were taken care of by a few elves.

This kind of descriptiveness and image painting is just so genius and fun! I particularly loved how you specified for what kind of wood it was made of. chestnuts roasting on an open fire am i right?

Straw: Finish off your drink! Any other quips or questions?

As I said, this is just a work of genius. I love festive works and stories and this is just so... christmas... I can't wait for the continuations to come!

-tea
Spoiler! :
Do you want to use this method? Heres the template!
Code: Select all
[b]Tea Base: The first impression. What did I think about this when I read it first?[/b]

[b]Add-Ons: What could be added, what could be changed that would improve this work?[/b]

[b]Toppings: What I loved about this work, What do you think was so genius?[/b]

[b] Straw: Finish off your drink! Any other quips or questions?[/b]






Thanks for the review tea! I changed that thing about the "annoyed expression," thanks for pointing that out! And I'm glad you liked it!




The universe will reward you for taking risks on its behalf.
— Shakti Gawain