Mature Content

The Girl, The Monster and The Night

by DeerInBacPac

I was curled underneath my Gryffindor blanket, like every night. I was supposed to be asleep for the past two hours but I was still awake at 12:30am. Still awake, watching the monster crawl out of the closet. Watching it's teeth drip with black goo and it's red eyes glow.

As I hold back tears, the Monster comes closer until it pulls back the covers and I sit up.

"Hello, darling," The monster whispers, it's fingers caressing my cheek again. It was freezing.

"Good-bye." I replied, pulling my covers back but the Monster took them and threw them across the room, it's snake like eyes boring into my brain.

"Oh, no no no, my dear. You have to listen this time. No one to help. I can do whatever I please." The Monster tells me, making me sit up.

"But-but-" I began but the Monster stopped me again.

"No, Darling. No. Now, what do you wanna talk about?" It entices, holding out its hand for me to hold.

I shook my head, rubbing my eyes and listen to my breathing. I want it to go away.

"How about... I got it! You're writing! Man, its ok. Wait, no! Its the worst I've ever read! Let's not forget that you are getting on peoples nerves with your grammar! By god, its the worst I've seen in my years of living!

Ooo, ooo! What about your novel! Its so childish, the hope that people might actually like it?! The chance that someone might love it the way you do?! Jesus, I can't belive you actually hope to have a career in writing. I mean, come on! You hardly stick with anything, and its not like people just love your writing! They are just blowing wind up your ass to make you feel better!"

The Monster finishes, it's eyes red with pleasure. It knew it got to me.

"So...I should stop writing my novel? And my poetry?" I asked softly while I wanted to scream in it's shallow face that it was wrong.

"Yes, that would fix things. After all," It said, it's eyes glowing even more. "No one cares about what you have to say, what goes on in your head. After all, its always different then what you can write. What you can say, even."

I nodded my head again, looking at the Monster with so much pain that it looked back at me with uncertianty. The Monster knew that I was the host, it the parasite. It didn't want to hurt to badly. Yet.

It tilted it's predator-like head and stared at me, watching and waiting for me to do something. But I just sat there. And stared at the picture of my great-grandfather and great-grandmother. Just stared.

It grabbed my ribs, the back of them. It's sharp, crusty nails, if thats what you wanna call them, dug into my back. My skin tore off and I wondered why it had done that.

"Look. At. Me." The Monster hissed. I didn't look at it and it dug it's nails even further into my back, I wincing in response.

"Look. At. Me." It whispered again, it's teeth beared. "You think that you can just, get away with all of this?! I will always tell you that you aren't good enough, that your writing is nothing and has helped no one. That you are no one. I will aways be waiting and watching. Always, got it?"

"Yes." I mumbled.

The Monster took its hand off of my ribs, thankfully, and walked around the room. It was like a werewolf, the way it stood and walked. Wary, yet imposing. It was inky looking, pieces of it falling off then zooming right back to the body.

I just sat on my bed, the christmas lights wrapped around the banister giving the room a homey look. The curtians were closed on the windows, the many mugs I had resting on the sills.

"You know, I don't quite understand how you have friends, espcially ones on the internet. They aren't real, you know that right? And your boyfriend? Ha, like that'll last!" It adds, but these were my fathers words, not mine. I would never speak these words. Ever.

I looked the Monster dead in the eyes, the... thing staring right back. It smiled, knowing what I was about to do. It chuckled, darkly.

"Don't you see? I am the pain, and I won't leave." The Monster said, coming toward me.

"But I have people who care, they help dull the pain. They are the antidote. Even if it takes a bit. Can I please go to bed? Its almost one am..." I said tiredly. I could hardly keep my eyes open at this point.

The monster snarled, unhappy. But it left, assuring me that it would be back.

I laid back down on the bed, sighing. Time to sleep, then get through tomorrow. 

Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:21 am
LadyLoki wrote a review...

A review but also a few words...

Hun, first of all I think this is pretty good writing. I think there are a few bits (like the specificity of 12:30am) that could be vaguer (written as past midnight) but in all I think it is a piece or artwork that only you could have written. There is no other person on this, or any other Earth that could have put these letters together to make these words and these words in this order. This is an original and it comes from a sore place, but a place that is full of emotion and thought and expression. Don't you EVER think that this couldn't be important. That no one out there cares. I care. I might be flighty and I might be busy, but I am ALWAYS checking up on your writing. I am ALWAYS looking forward to see what you've done next and I ALWAYS enjoy it! It gives another perspective on life and one that I welcome seeing into. No one person is the same and neither is one person's writing the same as the next. But that does not mean that one writing is less than another. I believe in your writing. I believe in you.

Second of all, monsters are not always bad. Sometimes they are the inspiration we need to really dig our heels in and take off running, sure sometimes in fear but we will never get anywhere unless we start moving. This monster might feel crippling, but maybe others have the same monsters coming out of their closets and from under their beds. Maybe they need someone to relate to, to validate their feelings, to see that they are not as alone as their monster makes them feel. Maybe YOU are that someone.

Hun, you are not alone.
You have us, you have me, you have this whole dang internet site chocked FULL of people who have similar experiences and fight similar battles. If you EVER feel like it is too much, or that you just need a break, please come to us. Come to me. I will always answer. I know your other friends will too.

You are a force to be reckoned with and your works are great.

Don't stop.

DeerInBacPac says...

*smiles* Thanks Lady Loki. Thank you.

Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:02 am
Kanome wrote a review...

Hey there, Kanome here with a review. There are nitpicks here and there which I will point out but first, I want to say my opinion about this.

The way I see it, it shouldn't matter what the monster (I am assuming that this is real life experience you are going through... I am sorry about that.) says because you did put in your story who the monster is... not going to point them out and if they can't support your dreams of writing or anything in that matter, then you should cut that out of your life. You don't need toxicity in your life and if you keep it in, it will just drag you down. I am sorry if I am being too harsh about this, that's just how I feel. It's also because I used to be in the same situation as you, and I want to help you so you won't be in that situation anymore.

NITPICKS:

I was curled underneath my Gryffindor blanket, like every night.

Revise the sentence to Every night, I curl underneath my Gryffindor blanket.

Still awake, watching the monster crawl out of the closet. Watching it's teeth drip with black goo and it's red eyes glow.

Revise this sentence in a way that it will make sense to your readers. These sentences are incomplete, but you can see if you can reword it and combine the sentences together into one.

You're writing!

Just change the word you're to your.

Ooo, ooo! What about...

There needs to be quotation marks at the beginning.

belive

Simple error, just correct it that's all. believe

Other than that, I hope your situation gets better, and you do have support if it's for writing or you just need someone to talk to. Keep writing!

DeerInBacPac says...

Thank you.

wordwing says...

I don't think there's anything to review here, aside from the few grammatical errors, everything seems "good". But are you "good"? The thing that interests me is that you mentioned your father, did he really say that? Well, I know how cruel parents can be. They think they make no mistakes as long as rhey're not hurting you physically. EE! Wrong!
I should know, I am just a useless wall to my parents that they can shit on later XD, whoops,might have said too much. And about the internet friends being fake, I feel like that ALL THE TIME. But, you know, I'm not really that close to anyone in real life so I' m fine with what I have.
And by the way http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/blog ... 85&b=64845
See, you're not alone, I have such thoughts as well, and I've thought "Eh, my writing is shit, there's a lot to improve" A MILLION TIMES ALREADY.
And you know which poems are the best?
Those that come STRAIGHT FROM THE HEART.
And I've seen a lot of such poems from you, @flumadiddle.

DeerInBacPac says...

*sigh* Thanks Word. Your one of the best people I have ever met. And thank you. But I don't think that I am ok. My anxiety and depression are taking over me sometimes so its hard to even deal with school sometimes. But things are better. And thank you again.

DeerInBacPac says...

@Dreamworx95 @izanami @woahhitherepal @WhosabellCanWrite @TheBlueCat @LittleLee @269609 @Lake @LordTachanka @LadyLoki @AnneTaylor @Danni88 @GreenTea @Murphy2493 @Helena13 @emolemon @wordwing @SpaceSnickerdoodle @LJF @WanderlustStardust @emma1045 @Queentera40 @StupidSoup @wendylau98 @LordTachanka @DarkPandemonium @Irislillygray @Steggy @jimss23 @Sheytato @RavenLord

To get my thoughts out. Review if you want.

lemonboi says...

Scuse me, I'm real af. And I'm here to listen to anything you need to talk about, okay? Don't resort to the monster, sure it's a pain, but I wanna take that pain away! We all do, and just because we're internet friends, DOES NOT MAKE IS FAKE FRIENDS. ESPECIALLY ME. Please don't focus on what it has to say!!!! Also there is nothing to review about this because it's perfect and it's personal so nobody should be correcting it anyways! IF ANYONE SAYS YOU DID A THING WRONG IMMA TRUCKING FIGHT 'EM, KAY?

DeerInBacPac says...

Thanks Lems... thanks. Hug?

A big mountain of sugar is too much for one man. I can see now why God portions it out in those little packets.
— Homer Simpson