12+

Anguish [Ch. Ⅱ, Old Prey]

by FlocculentAnorak

Beau

Everyone immediately falls silent, the piercing eyes stabbed at the back of my neck. Mr. Santifelon, being the size of a giant, wasn’t fazed by it. But I struggle to keep my body still, a mere flee compared to him.

Suddenly, his face softens to a fatherly, soothing look. Did he realize my father is the school’s principal, and needed to stay docile? Or did he see how my body looked and pitied me like everyone else does?

He bowed before me like a prince. I was a princess that he needed to delicately handle in his eyes. Holding in a rude remark, I open my mouth to speak. Hoping that my voice doesn’t come out as a shaken mess.

“Nice to meet you,” he said with a deep but soft voice. He lets out his hand for a handshake but decides to pull it back. “Would you be ever so kind to join me in the hallway to talk?”

He is treating me like a princess.

“I- Of course!” I mentally wince. I broke my promise of talking flawlessly I knew I wouldn’t keep.

The class gets into a gossiping frenzy when the door closes. I’m now the center of attention and it’s exactly how I’ve imagined.

Terrifying.

A deep pit forms in my stomach. I know that beasts are going to t talk about me for the rest of the day. And it’s all because of this frightening lion that my mind can’t help but be curious about.

As I walk beside him, I look up at his massive figure. His face isn’t as menacing as before His thrilled smile and faint purr make me forget how big he is. How sharp his fangs and claws are. Big cats are just like domestic ones, aren’t they?

He cleared his throat to catch my attention. My ears shoot up automatically, alert and ready as if I’m in flight or fight. My body isn’t ashamed of showing what emotions it’s feeling. It wants to be as clear as possible.

“What did you want to talk to me about, Mr. Santifelon?” I asked with a shaky voice, praying he didn’t notice.

“Beau, you are an interesting beast,” he looked me up and down. “I’ve never seen a beast like you, tell me, how difficult is your life?”

I couldn’t stop my ears from lowering. All in a mix of embarrassment, discomfort, and anger. I know I’m different just by how other beasts look at me. Like I’m deformed. But for him to ask such a question… It makes me want to shut his pompous snout.

“Oh, it’s…” I inhale, treading away from his heeding gaze to hide a glare. “…hard.”

I look up at him, my mind screaming to insult him as if he isn’t the superintendent. Fortunately, I know how to control my temper. His concerned gaze. That curious expression. I can’t get it out of my head. That question pissed me off, but I can feel my anger slowly fading.

“Any beast I ask to make friends with agrees out of pity, Mr. Santifelon,” I sigh. “It isn’t a real friendship. I can’t go out alone; I’m terrified.”

“How interesting. A beast like myself can’t relate to someone like you,” he gives me a gentle smile. “And, please, call me Leo.”

I look at him with a blank stare. Call him by his first name. Something incredibly disrespectful, and he offers me to do it? A feeling in my gut rises the fur on my neck. I can’t place my paw on it, yet I should consider it.

“Okay, Leo,” I obeyed, his name feeling weird in my mouth.

He nodded and smiled. Everywhere I’ve heard what other beasts call him. He doesn’t take any disrespect. Expects every student to be perfect in behavior. If that were true, he’d probably yell at me so much for stuttering and breaking eye contact. But he doesn’t. Maybe beasts exaggerated the rumors?

Something is telling me not to let this go. If only that something told me why.

“Let me share about myself. I’m Leo Santifelon, I live alone…”

I hear him ramble on about his life. His father wanted him to be an army sergeant. He wasn’t a good beast, so he cut ties with him completely. His dark, sad childhood makes me connect with him somehow.

The world shunned him. He fears the outside world. He longs for a different life. Away from a strong masculinity and into a simple life. This giant, vicious beast is a delicate flower.

“Beau,” he takes a deep breath. “You look identical to my dearest. We regrettably drifted apart.”

Figuring out what ‘dearest’ meant, that gut feeling came back again even stronger. It was such a weird question for someone like him to say to someone like me. I push it away, putting it deep inside my head. I’m not letting my paranoia bother me this time.

“Oh, is that so? How… coincidental.”

“Yes… but let us push the sadness away,” his eyes constrict. “I need to know things that are very important.”

“…Important?”

“Beau, do you know how to defend yourself?”

My heart gets caught in my throat.

“Are you and your father the only beasts in your house?”

My heart races.

“Are your doors locked?”

I need to get away from him.

I feel like I’m going to suffocate if I stay any longer. With this insane beast. My eyes dart around the hallway. The gray, tiled floors—painted white walls— My classroom door.

“Mr. Santifelon—”

Leo, please.”

“Sorry, Leo, I really need to go back to class. I wouldn’t like to miss any work…”

He looks at me with a curious expression. I pray that he takes my obvious excuse.

“Alright, then,” he says with a disappointed tone.

After giving an insincere wave, I walk to class in a haste. What was that? How could he ask me such a thing? Changing so quickly. My father’s words echo in my head, mocking me. No matter how kind they seem, any beast can change in a moment.

But that pity feeling comes back up again. He doesn’t know how to communicate so well. He lives alone, lovesick, and lonely. Maybe asking such questions is normal for felidae?

I shake the thoughts away, trying to bring up the courage to walk into class. The thought of the whole class turning their heads to look at me makes me sick. I closed my eyes so tight like my life depended on it, and walked inside. The overwhelming silence hit my ears, making me quickly go to my seat and put my head down.

I’m going to meet Mr. Santifelon again. The thought lingers in my mind. It will be soon.

***

♧ 14 : 47 ♧

My ears flatten as a group of idiots yell and hauler. It’s always chaotic on the way home on the bus, but it being the last day makes it a bullfight.

“What did you guys do?” Duko’s voice sounded beside me, making me remember he was there. “They didn’t make us do much, so we just fetched with a ball; best period of my life.”

“Nothing.”

“…Alright.”

Even though I wasn’t looking at him, I could tell he was looking at me with a suspicious gaze. I know how he’s feeling just by looking at him. He’s starting to figure that out with me. He’s unfortunately getting good at it.

I didn’t usually numbly lay my head on the vibrating window. I was watching the scenery with such a depressive expression and tone.

“So… have you thought about hanging out?”

My eyes widen as my terrors come back to haunt me. It escaped my mind ever since my encounter with Mr. Santifelon, and I wish I didn’t. I could’ve spent all day brainstorming my response.

I can’t seem to form a coherent sentence, let alone a word. It feels like I’m in a court, pressured to admit a disgusting, appalling crime I committed. My crime is being a paranoid cub and a bad friend.

I can’t run from this forever.

“I’m sorry, Duko, but I can’t,” I look down, not having the courage to look him in the eyes. “It’s just too dangerous for someone like me to be around—”

“My family? Me?

“Why would I be afraid of you?” I accidentally retort in a rude tone.

“Okay, I’m sorry,” his ears flatten. “I’m not going to force you to do anything. I just want to know why.”

“Why what?”

“I understand about my family, you’ve never met them, but me? I’ve known you for years. You know me. I don’t understand why you’re so wary around me.”

I hesitate. It feels like something is stuck in my throat that isn’t allowing me to speak. I avert his gaze, not wanting to look at him.

“I’m sorry, I shouldn’t be asking you to answer something that makes you uncomfortable—”

“I’m becoming paranoid around you,” I confess. “Worried that something or me will cause you to snap. And…”

“…I’ll devour you?”

“Yes.”

We both sit in silence. My head hung low and gazed to the floor. No matter how hard I try, I can’t convince myself that he won’t do such a thing. I know he wouldn’t, but the thought nags at me. My quickened heartbeat and breathing convince me that he will.

“I understand. It’s not like there isn’t a slight chance. We canidae can get a little too hyper and not realize we’re ripping someone apart. Something similar happened to my—”

“I know you wouldn’t do that!” I try to reassure him, clawing at my stupid thoughts.

“Yeah. But if not coming will keep you at peace, don’t come. I don’t want to make you do something you’re afraid of.”

“…Thank you.”

I’m a horrible beast.

We get to my stop and I step off. I wave goodbye to Duko, a bright smile on my face. Of course, he waves back.

I arrive at my house, the familiar scenery hitting me with a wave of tiredness. I’ve been wanting to go home all day and and let my drowsiness drown me in a comforting, warm pool.

“Oh, teddy bear!” My father’s call of my embarrassing nickname makes me flinch. “I have to run some errands; gotta stock up on snacks, eh?”

“…You’re leaving me alone?”

“Oh, just for a little while,” he holds my hand to reassure me. “Don’t open the door for anyone, alright?”

I nod, a bit worried there will be a possibility of a break-in. My father’s giant figure doesn’t give anyone the thought to mess with us.

I wave goodbye as he drives off, walking inside my house. The second I get into my bed, I fall and close my eyes. The darkness takes me into its comforting hold.

***

I wake up in a haze, the light from the moonlight shining against my floor. The sound of the snow falling hit my ears. A soft snowstorm may come soon, and I pray my father comes before it starts.

Hit with hunger, I drag myself down the stairs and into the darkness of my kitchen. It is eerie, but I remind myself that I am in no danger.

The cabinet has fruits that we rarely eat.

The fridge has sodas and a single bottle of water. Not nearly enough to clench my thirst. But it will have to do.

Opening it to take a sip, my nose twitches.

Something isn’t right here.

A new smell has filled my nostrils. It isn’t food. It is familiar but distant in memory. And it’s becoming easier to track because of how closer it is getting.

Traces of fur tracks on the floor. It’s a sandy hue. It smells nothing like a bear. It couldn’t have come from my father.

Someone is in here.

I hurry to the phone, going to call for help. But shock makes me drop everything and fall to my knees in terror.

A tall, broad figure stands in the hallway. Tracks of melted snow scatter across the floor. It stares at me. It wants me. It’s going to get me.

I wish I listened to that something.

Hi! I'm Kate and I'm here to leave a quick review!!

First Impression

Well this is quite the followup chapter here going off from that opening with all the question Beau already had to do and now coming into where her paranoia only gets worse and worse mostly due one Santifelon until at the end it appears they come true.

Anyway let's get right to: Kate's Line by Line Reactions;

Well this is an interesting start. It looks like a familiar face for Beau and not necessarily immediately dangerous but Beau doesn't exactly appear to be comforted either by this particular presence.

He is treating me like a princess.

Well this is an interesting start. He looks to be rather polite but the way Beau is portraying it, you can sense the fact he might be trying to sympathize in some manner about Beau's disability and Beau does not seem to be a big fan of that which is quite fair given how its been brought up.

Terrifying.

Oooh interesting, Beau's little facade that she's been told to maintain cracking a bit at this treatment and now going into the classroom with him creating quite the little ruckus there for the moment and attracting attention that Beau definitely didn't want.

Well it definitely looks like Mr. Santifelon really makes for a very imposing figure, one that easily makes Beau rather frightened and now she's just trying to find out what he wants to do here.

Ouch, that question hits hard before you even read through what Beau's actual reaction to it happens to be. Definitely a rather insensitive and rude question to be asking there and she is predictably quite uncomfortable here and trying to figure out how to get out of it.

Well looks like that's really lining itself up to be something interesting here, the more this man speaks the less he seems to have any sort of good intention or at least good vibes in general here.

Well it looks like this is turning out to be one of the most awkward interactions ever the further that we get into this here. It definitely is going hard into that realm where we're worried for Beau's safety.

Well looks like our man here is not only great at being horrifying and rude but also just stopping and dropping his life story to a person here that clearly doesn't want it.

Ooh interesting. Looks like he's trying to really paint himself as some sort of tragic misunderstood beast that people thought was too scary up to this point before his tragic story about really being a gentle giant came out.

“Oh, is that so? How… coincidental.”

Well I didn't think this conversation could possibly get any more awkward in this moment but it appears that life has somehow found a way here. Thing just getting more and more awkward by the second.

“…Important?”

My heart gets caught in my throat.

My heart races.

“Are your doors locked?”

I need to get away from him.

Well now these questions are starting to drag into something a little creepy there and its very clear that Beau is really starting to feel it too. This is definitely a moment to run far and not look back.

“Mr. Santifelon—”

“Leo, please.”

Well looks like she made the right call there, figuring out some sort of excuse to get away from that position with the awkward and the creepy comment there. Looks like she's gotten away for the moment here.

Well those conflicting thoughts are really coming into full force there. Beau knows that her instincts are not wrong there and she should in fact be as vary as she must be there but at the same time it looks like just a bit of doubt has crept into everything.

Well that's a bit of a terrifying though to end on right after the end of that rather harrowing experience. Definitely makes for a big moment for us to sit up and take some notice this.

“Nothing.”

“…Alright.”

Well it looks like this bus ride isn't going to be a particularly enjoyable experience from the looks of things, what with the going ons from earlier in the day now clashing with the already existing awkwardness from Duko.

Well it looks like poor Beau is just locked in a little cycle of horrors here trying to process everything that's been happening up to now and specifically the interactions with Mr. Santifelon.

I can’t run from this forever.

It looks like its all catching up fully to Beau there, all of those thoughts just being just a bit too much for her to actually handle in this moment and survive, you can really see the struggle there.

“My family? Me?”

“Why what?”

Well we're getting into little spats now too from the looks of things. This is really starting to cause a few issues with how rattled poor Beau is. I'm mostly worried that something's going to snap for poor Beau in this moment where she's so vulnerable.

Well it certainly looks like we've at least somehow managed to circle around to the root of the problem here surrounding all of this in just one big very awkward moment.

“…I’ll devour you?”

“Yes.”

Well it looks like its all out in the open now. We'll see how exactly Duko is going to react to that one. It definitely will be something for them both to consider in this moment now.

“…Thank you.”

Well that was resolved rather quickly there, but it seems on a good note for the moment. Duko thankfully seemed to understand that the danger really was not something to just scoff and should be taken seriously.

I’m a horrible beast.

OOoh this is interesting, not liking that nickname which I assume is the result of all the bad notes that poor Beau has had to deal with all throughout today and now here we are with the father also about to leave her alone.

“…You’re leaving me alone?”

Well looks like Beau is really quite afraid of what may happen and choses the best option to escape from that here, just doing her best not to think too much on it and catch up on some much needed sleep.

Well looks like Beau is just trying to quickly acquire a little midnight snack of sorts here. It does seem like she would be quite hungry in a moment like this after that kind of day.

Something isn’t right here.

Oh that's not good. That does not sound good in the slightest. It looks like Beau has somehow managed to get Mr. Santifelon here if I had to guess based on just the little bit of description we got.

Someone is in here.

I wish I listened to that something.

Oh dear, well that does not appear to bode well in the slightest. We have ourselves quite the little cliffhanger here. I think you've done a wonderful job bringing that across, that paranoia and tension building across it all until we get to this one moment.

Aaand that's it for this oneee!!!

Overall looks like a solid little chapter two here, really going in deep on the paranoia here and it seems it wasn't all just in her head after all because it does end with that terrifying little cliffhanger as it all comes true.

As always remember to: Take what you think was helpful and forget the rest!

Stay Safe and Have a Nice Day!
Kate

Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:17 pm
aaliyahlaurier wrote a review...

(Hello talented dearest! My name is Aaliyah Laurier, author of "Candy - A 21st Century Queer Narrative for Mentally Ill Teenage Girls")! I'm excited to start this review.

Top Graham Cracker - What I Know
(from what i've gathered, the protagonist is a young adult attending a school where she has the principal as a father. lead encounters a teacher named Mr. Santifelon who proves to be kinder than his demeanor lets on. she struggles with paranoia and social anxiety but tries to maintain a normal life despite all this.)

Slightly Burnt Marshmallow - Room for Improvements
(for improvements i'd just say give some more character background and other things to make the character even more relatable, make sure the dialogue is natural, use vivid imagery and sensory details)

Chocolate Bar - Highlights of the Piece
(I really admire the suspenseful atmosphere, the character dynamics, the themes of fear and paranoia. I also reaaaaaally love the foreshadowing and intrigue when it comes to Mr. Santifelon's true intentions, and also the emotional depth)

Closing Graham Cracker - Closing Thoughts
(in conclusion, not bad at all! with some minor adjustments like the ones I listed the story could be even more spectacular, but frankly, it's amazing on its own! I hope this review can be of some use to you.

always love, Aaliyah Laurier)

There is nothing to fear from someone who shouts.
— Chinua Achebe, Things Fall Apart