Life or Death Chapter 10 Tension

by FlamingPhoenix

It felt like hours had passed when Viper and Nuddia finally reached the space in the rough, rocky walls. It bugged Viper the entire walk that the crevice might not work. What if the Doomtors could smell their scent over the smell of the dead prey? Then they would be trapped, and they would have failed the mission! Viper groaned, he hated this about himself. When Venom was training him when he first came to the fort often told him he over thought somethings. But again he said one day it will come in handy.

Nuddia looked over the hiding place. A look of fear was still upon her face. “Are you sure this will work?”

Viper thought over what he should say back. “It depends if the Doomtors can smell our scent over the smell of the prey.” Looking around him, Viper made sure none of those raptors are around before he ushered Nuddia into the crevice, then he followed.

They both moved as far back as they could with the amount of space they had. Viper could feel his heart bounding in his chest as they both sat there in silence. He could feel Nuddia shaking next to him, he didn’t blame her at all, this is one of the most important rules when why first came to the fort. To never go out at night. But sometimes exceptions have to be made.

Viper looked next to him and his eyes caught Nuddia’s. He could see all the things going through her head at that moment, just by looking at her. That was also another thing he learned at the fort, to read your enemy like a book, by just looking at them.

Viper wished he could tell her everything was going to be okay, but even he wasn’t sure, and there was no point in giving her false hope. When she knows just as well as he does that there is a fifty percent chance of them getting out of here, but even that is slim.

A strange noise jolted Viper out of his thoughts. His eyes darted to the entrances to their hiding place. Even if he couldn’t see further than his nose he was still going to try and see if anything was coming. The noses sounded like gusts of wind were beating at the rock. Small tapping noises could also be heard over the sound of the wind. Deep down Viper knew very well what it was.

Nudging Nuddia, he gave her the sign to stay quiet with his talon, he just hoped she saw it. Breathing in a breath Viper sat there, still, and quiet. He couldn’t even hear Nuddia breathing.He knew she knew what was outside their hiding place.

It felt like him and Nuddia had been down there for ages, he just hoped that the Doomtor would pass quickly. Viper listened to the sound of tapping slowly fade into the depths of the cave.

Slowly moving to the entrance of the cave, Viper peeked out. Sniffing the air, he could pick up the faint sent of the Doomtor. It stung his nose when he picked up the sent, meaning it was very fresh. Sliding back into the small den with Nuddia he nodded to her.

“Looks like the coast is clear.” Giving a small shiver Viper whispered, “We might want to get out of here quickly before they notice our scent.” With that Viper creeped out of their hiding place, his tail like a snake being dragged along the stone floor.

He could feel Nuddia creep after him, her breathing was steady, and all traces of fear now gone. Viper stalked along the stone floor like a cat going after their prey. Remembering all those times Venom had taught him how to hunt. Even in this situation Viper managed to smile to himself. Venom may look intimidating but underneath all that he was a big softy. Well he saw like this with him anyway.

Breathing in a nose full of air, Viper could smell they were almost out of the tunnel. Picking up the pace he and Nuddia began to get closer to the exit. Opening his wings Viper flew out of the rather odd shaped exit. He knew Nuddia would be able to keep up with him. She was one of the best soldiers he knew.

Looking over his shoulder his eyes met hers. “We should be safe now. We are almost at the border just a little longer.”

Nuddia beat her wings a few more times allowing her to fly next to Viper who had his wings fanned out as he glided against the air currents.

“Something has been bugging me for a while now.” Sucking in a shallow breath Nuddia began. “I’m worried that while we are on this trip to go spy on the Onex Wyverns they have to same plan, or what if they have already begun there dissent on the Land of Endless Sands? We won’t be there to protect them.”

Viper’s face had a stern look to it. But he knew that Nuddia might be right. He looked over at her and sighed. “We must just have faith that Venom knows what his doing. I’m sure he thought over all the outcomes and I’m sure he knew the Onex Wyverns could have the same plan…” He stopped talking for a moment thinking over what he should say to her next. “But he is our chief and we must stick to the mission he has assigned to us.” Viper new he wasn’t just saying those words to Nuddia, he was also saying them to himself.

Looking down at the sandy ground below them Viper watched as it slowly began to change, hard rock taking its place. To Viper this was normal, but he knew Nuddia has never crossed the border to the outside kingdoms, and other placed between.

“We are almost at the border, so keep your guard up.” Viper said to her, he could feel her roll her eyes behind him, but he paid know mind to it. Slowly he glided down to the hard stone floor beneath him. When he landed he flicked his tail to let Nuddia know it was okay to land.

He could hear the beating of wings behind him as Nuddia landed. He knew they couldn't fly all night, so now would be the best time to walk for a while without the Doomtor’s chasing after them.

Thu May 23, 2019 7:13 pm
Liberty500 wrote a review...

Hey Flames!

Hope you're doing well, depending on what side of the world you're on. I'm here to give this beauty a review and to carry it out of the Green Room. Anyways, I really love the characters and all. And, oh, poor Nuddia! I feel so bad for her. She has to deal with such a weird person! Er, dragon. Lol.

And I like the detail you give of every little thing. Like when you describe the part when he breathes in a nose full of air. Magnificent. I really love your work very much. It's beautiful and amazing. :smt023

It felt like hours had passed when Viper and Nuddia finally reached the space in the ruff, rocky walls.

I can imagine why you'd have this problem.
ruff = rough*

What if the Doomtors could smell their sent over the smell of the dead pray?

“It depends if the Doomtors can smell our sent over the smell of the pray.”

Both these quoted sentences have the exact same thing:

sent = scent*
pray = prey*

Viper could feel his heart bounding in his chest as they both sat there in silence.

bounding = pounding*

When she knows just as well as he does that there is a fifty present chance of them getting out of here,

present = percent*

Even if he couldn’t see further then his nose he was still going to try and see if anything was coming.

then = than*

Then has a different meaning than than. Lol. Than than. XD
I dunno why I find that so funny.

Deep down Viper new very well what it was.

Here's a thing that happens often to many people, I've noticed.
new = knew*

Nudging Nuddia, he gave her the sine to stay quiet with his talon, he just hoped she saw it. Breathing in a breath Viper sat there, still, and quit.

sine = sign*
quit = quiet*

“We might want to get out of here quickly before they notes our sent.”

I'm pretty sure those bold words weren't exactly meant to be what they are right now.
notes our sent = notice our scent*

Viper stalked along the stone floor like a cat going after their pray.

pray = prey*

Breathing in a nose fool of air,

fool = full*

She was one of the best solders he knew.

You were just missing a letter. But that can change a lot. Search up what solders means...

solders = soldiers*

Alright, so that's it. I can't wait to read the next chapter! This was very exciting!

And as always...

~Liberty500

Again thank you very much for the review Liberty, all the things you pointed out, are the things me as the writer reads over. So you were a great help.

Liberty500 says...

Thank you and your welcome!

Thu May 23, 2019 2:26 pm
shieldmaiden wrote a review...

Hey Phoenix,
I really liked this chapter. Only a few spelling errors. There was "sent" which I think was to mean "scent", "dissent" which is spelled "descent", and "pray" in this case is "prey". Easy mistakes to make when you are on a role and typing your story like crazy.

I like the characters very much and feel for poor Nuddia who has to deal with worry-wort Viper. Gee, that dragon is really uptight. But I'm sure that is due mostly to his upbringing. He's had a rough life.

Keep up the great writing, team captain!

-Shieldmaiden

Thank you so much for your review! :D I'll go fix the mistakes when I can.

I am a guard of the green order and I am the captain of the guard of troops who protect the strong holds of YWS.
— LadyBird