z

Young Writers Society



How Was Your Day? - Chapter 9.1

by Que


September 21 • Saturday

(7:31 am)

"There are many mysteries in the world. Some people spend their lives trying to solve them, trying to find clues and answers to riddles and all their questions. And some of them, surely, can never be solved, their answers never even imagined.

"But I believe that the all the answers, all the keys and all of the lost treasure is quietly found and accumulated, by those who don't even notice that the small ring they hold is a lost item that someone, somewhere, wants so desperately to find. I believe that everything they ever needed was right where they weren't looking, because surely, there's nothing that an antique shop doesn't have.

"The solutions aren't my problem. My problem is that, with all the answers at my fingertips, I'm not even sure which questions I should ask. Who, what, when, and where? And, most importantly, why?

"-F"

Finnley had woken up excited for the first time in a little while. Though his mind still lingered on Mia's plan and the creature from the woods, he was truly eager for this new job, all the secrets and answers it might hold.

He wasn't exactly sure what he should bring, since this job didn't strike him as a typical part time job. He brought his backpack, temporarily emptied of all school supplies, just in case. He brought his license and school ID, along with a pencil and notepad for notes.

Finnley had a little trouble finding the shop again; it didn't show up on google maps, so he'd searched for it on foot. The store seemed to be evading him, and when he reached it, he could've sworn it'd been on a different street. Once again, the bell attached to the door rang out through an empty shop. Finnley wondered how much business Mr. Vaughn got there, and if that would affect his pay. Speaking of, he hadn't even discussed that matter with Mr. Vaughn. Interesting as the store was, Finnley knew he couldn't work for free. He needed the money- for his mother, if nothing else.

"Mr. Vaughn?" he ventured, stepping towards the staircase in the back. He wasn't brave enough to go up there. Amber light streamed through the windows, illuminating clouds of dust that drifted through the air without a purpose, waiting to settle upon unused objects.

"Finnley," Mr. Vaughn's disembodied voice said, and then he felt a hand on his shoulder. Finnley whirled around in his grip to find the old man smiling with barely contained laugh and twinkling eyes. "A little early, aren't you?"

Finnley frowned at his watch. It was nine o'clock on the dot. "No, sir, I think I'm right on time."

Mr. Vaughn glanced at his own time piece, which did not seem to be split up into the usual 12 hours. "Ah," he said, eyes crinkling around the edges like pieces of tissue paper, "sorry. You're quite right, of course."

After a minute of silence had passed, Finnley uncomfortably broke it. "Mr. Vaughn? I was wondering... about the training, and- and about the money..." He trailed off as Mr. Vaughn met his gaze, his face heating in shame.

"Don't worry, boy, you'll get minimum wage. Or a little above. I'll make that decision today." Mr. Vaughn seemed to consider for a moment, then lead Finnley over to a small table strewn with objects, looking just like everything else in the room. "Look at these items," he instructed, "and tell me what you see."

Finnley looked. "I see a tiny fork, the kind you use for pickles or something. Um... I see a table runner, a few old books, a glass swan." He peered up at Mr. Vaughn. "Sir, what exactly-"

Mr. Vaughn waved a hand to silence him. "Now, look closer. What do you SEE?"

He looked closer. "The swan, one of its wings is chipped. It's got smudges all over it, and little scratches too."

Finnley met Mr. Vaughn's gaze again, and he nodded approvingly. "Good. But what does it mean?"

Finnley studied the swan, then picked it up and ran his finder over the sharp edges of the chipped wing. "It was well loved," he said finally. "It wasn't something that was showcased; it belonged to a family who believed that an imperfection like a chipped wing didn't make it any less beautiful. It was a treasure to be held close, rather than gazed at from afar, even if it hurt." He nearly dropped the swan in realization. "It... it belonged to a child, didn't it?"

Mr. Vaughn smiled down at the swan. "It was a little girl's, passed on to her by her mother. She always bossed her brother around, but when he broke his leg, she was heartbroken, for she truly loved him. Her parents didn't tell her, but they were trying their hardest to scrape up enough money to cover the hospital bills. She noticed anyway, and thought that she could sell her precious treasure and save her brother. I gave her far more than the object itself was worth, because it was for her brother, and he was worth much more to her."

Finnley found himself holding his breath. "What happened- to her brother?"

Mr. Vaughn's smile turned sad as he ran his fingers over the small statue. "His leg got infected. They had to take it. When the girl came back a few years later, I asked her if she wanted her swan back. But she just hugged me, knowing what I had tried to do for her brother. I hugged back, knowing what she had tried to do."

They were both silent for a few minutes. Then Mr. Vaughn spoke again. "Now you see: everything has a story. I'll show you how you can tell the general value of the items; it's not so hard once you get it down. It gets more specific once you meet the customer. I'll show you when we get our first one. People have a way of wandering in here, much like you. Just watch what I do- I can sense that you'll have a natural feel for this."

"Mr. Vaughn?" Finnley asked suddenly. "How did you know? About the pizza?"

Mr. Vaughn was about to answer when the bell rang merrily. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
641 Reviews


Points: 46598
Reviews: 641

Donate
Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:20 pm
View Likes
Panikos wrote a review...



Hi, Querencia! Pan dropping in for another review.

"There are many mysteries in the world. Some people spend their lives trying to solve them, trying to find clues and answers to riddles and all their questions. And some of them, surely, can never be solved, their answers never even imagined.

"But I believe that the all the answers, all the keys and all of the lost treasure is quietly found and accumulated, by those who don't even notice that the small ring they hold is a lost item that someone, somewhere, wants so desperately to find. I believe that everything they ever needed was right where they weren't looking, because surely, there's nothing that an antique shop doesn't have.

"The solutions aren't my problem. My problem is that, with all the answers at my fingertips, I'm not even sure which questions I should ask. Who, what, when, and where? And, most importantly, why?


I may as well raise what's been on my mind for a while, but I'm not hugely fond of the blog entry formula you've got going on. To me, they just sound like the abstract ramblings of a teenage boy who thinks they're a bit deep. Which is kind of what they are, to be fair, but it never makes for the most interesting opening to a chapter in my opinion. I always find myself skimming over them because I want to get to the actual plot progression.

I do like that Finnley has the blog as means to work through his grief, but it feels like some of the entries are forced just for the sake of the formula. Some of them do add something; I forget which chapter it was, but the blog entry for it was just 'regrets are sharpest in the morning'. I loved that one. Really punchy. I much prefer short and sweet stuff over long, musing paragraphs.

He brought his license and school ID, along with a pencil and notepad for notes.


What else would he use a notepad for? It's right there in the name! :P

The store seemed to be evading him, and when he reached it, he could've sworn it'd been on a different street.


Hmmm, a location-shifting store? Maybe that's why Mr Vaughn can afford to keep it open, haha. Who do you pay rent to if your shop changes streets all the time? What address do the authorities post your bills to? Mr Vaughn, master of debt evasion.

After a minute of silence had passed, Finnley uncomfortably broke it.


A minute??? That is a long silence. What were they doing for all that time? Honestly, a gap of just a second in conversation is enough to suggest some kind of interactional breakdown. Several seconds would be even more awkward.

I guess it comes down to what's actually happening here. Throughout the minute, was Mr Vaughn busy with something, or were they literally just both standing there in silence? If Mr Vaughn was doing something, a minute is okay, but make sure you specify that he was distracted. If it was just a momentary break in the conversation, a minute is much too long. You'd have to shrink the pause down to only a couple of seconds; that would be enough. Conversations unfold very, very quickly.

Mr. Vaughn seemed to consider for a moment, then lead Finnley over to a small table strewn with objects, looking just like everything else in the room


I think this is one of those dangling modifier things, where the 'ing' clause is meant to modify the object of the sentence but actually modifies the subject. Basically, this sentence is jarring, as it makes me think that Mr Vaughn looks like everything else in the room even though it's supposed to be the table that looks like everything else in the room. The 'ing' clause is just modifying the wrong thing. You could easily fix it to be like this:

Mr. Vaughn seemed to consider for a moment, then lead Finnley over to a small table strewn with objects which looked just like everything else in the room.

Or:

Mr. Vaughn seemed to consider for a moment, then lead Finnley over to a small table strewn with objects. It looked just like everything else in the room.

"Good. But what does it mean?"

Finnley studied the swan, then picked it up and ran his finder over the sharp edges of the chipped wing. "It was well loved," he said finally. "It wasn't something that was showcased; it belonged to a family who believed that an imperfection like a chipped wing didn't make it any less beautiful. It was a treasure to be held close, rather than gazed at from afar, even if it hurt." He nearly dropped the swan in realization. "It... it belonged to a child, didn't it?"


Mixed feelings about this Sherlock-esque sequence. I'm not against it, but I'd like to feel a bit more awkwardness from Finnley as he talks. If it was me, I'd be painfully aware that everything I was saying was all guesswork and conjecture. Sure, a chipped wing could indicate that it was loved (I speak as a child who played with ornaments a lot as a kid), but it could just as easily indicate that it wasn't - that it was just a random decorative ornament that got a bit busted up when a family moved house and didn't wrap it up properly. That theory would certainly fit more with the fact that this swan ended up being palmed off to an antique store. Like I say, it's guesswork. So I don't mind Finnley having this interpretation, but I'd like him to be more hesitant about it. More like 'well, it could mean this...I'm not sure...maybe it was like a toy for a child?' He should be more self-conscious.

I gave her far more than the object itself was worth, because it was for her brother, and he was worth much more to her."


Uhh, how much did he give her? I don't know much about the costs of healthcare, but I'm guessing that hospital bills for a broken leg would be pretty hefty. Part of me thinks it might be more feasible if the girl had wanted to buy her brother some kind of get well soon gift, and Mr Vaughn had given her more money than the swan was worth so she could afford it. That would keep the sentiment without the implication that he gave her hundreds (or thousands?) of dollars for a chipped swan ornament, which stretches the suspension of disbelief somewhat. Unless, of course, it turns out that Mr Vaughn is obscenely rich and can throw money at people by the bagful regardless of the worth of the antiques.

(In which case he owes Finnley a lot more than minimum wage...)

Mr. Vaughn's smile turned sad as he ran his fingers over the small statue. "His leg got infected. They had to take it.


Blimey, that must've been a bad break. I just looked up whether broken legs typically get infected, but it doesn't seem to be that common unless the skin is actually breached by the bone or if you needed surgery to help said bone heal. That said, from what I'm reading, bone infections are usually treated with antibiotics or further surgery, so it seems like a really bad spot of luck for him to lose the leg as well.

That's all for specific points. Good opening to the chapter! I continue to like the mysterious Mr Vaughn, and I especially enjoy that he sees the value of objects as relative and that he remembers the stories attached to each one. I feel like you could maybe make the story with the girl and the swan a touch less dramatic, because I don't think it would actually lose any of its sentimentality if it was toned down a little. Personal opinion, though.

Keep writing! :D
~Pan




User avatar
373 Reviews


Points: 46306
Reviews: 373

Donate
Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:18 pm
View Likes
PrincessInk wrote a review...



Hey Falconer! I'm here for the review.

The end of the segment was in such a moment that I'm excited to see what happens next. I wonder who is coming in!

And also...another question that's kind of bugging me is how can Mr. Vaughn earn money. I mean...this is NOT a well-populated store (it seems) and he might end up selling inexpensively to his customers. I agree with BlueAfrica that he doesn't seem to be a guy who raises the price like crazy, so it makes me wonder how. Maybe he has a day job actually. Or maybe he's hoarding an enormous inheritance.

If you wrote a story for every item, you might end up with an anthology! xD So anyway, the swan is kind of special symbol, in a way:love, since a story about how much a girl loves her brother is attached to it. I wonder where did that paper with the drawing go? Would Finnley wonder about that too? Or he wouldn't?

One little nitpick I have is here:

Mr. Vaughn glanced at his own time piece, which did not seem to be split up into the usual 12 hours.


I wish there could have been more specificity. Was it like a regular clock? Or was it something extraordinary?

This was an enjoyable read, and I'm looking forward to the next installment!

Image




Que says...


Thanks for the review! Like I told BlueAfrica, I haven't totally figured out all the financial situations yet but I'll work on it. ;) And Mr. Vaughn's watch just miiiighg tie into the money situation!!



User avatar
1735 Reviews


Points: 91980
Reviews: 1735

Donate
Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:02 pm
View Likes
BluesClues wrote a review...



"Mr. Vaughn?" Finnley asked suddenly. "How did you know? About the pizza?"


EXACTLY. Finally! Finally, we're getting to the real questions!

It's Mia, right? Who else could possibly ring a bell merrily?

I might have mentioned this before, but I like that Mr. Vaughn realizes that an object's value in antiques is partly determined by the customer - although, to be fair, that means he could totally price-gouge someone who is in love with some typically cheap, common item (like those Lipton Tea figurines that EVERY antique store has, along with the obligatory jar of buttons) and simply refuse to sell something valuable to someone who wants it but isn't willing to pay much for it. (Although I can't really see him price-gouging anyone.) Plus, I mean, he does need to make a profit. Like it's sweet that he paid that girl an arm and a leg for something that wasn't worth that much, but if he makes a habit of it and charges people based largely on their idea of a product's value...he's going to be out of business tout suite.

So that's something that I keep thinking about whenever we see Mr. Vaughn, but I feel like I might be able to ignore it or suspend my disbelief about that point if...let's see, one option is, we find out he's fabulously wealthy and just really enjoys having an antique shop, so he runs it how he wants and doesn't bother about money. (Obviously he wouldn't be the kind of guy to *act* super wealthy or throw his money around, so.) Another option is simply that Finnley notices/thinks about this very issue, whether or not he ever brings it up to Mr. Vaughn (although it would probably be better if he did). Or Finnley could find out some time later that the store is actually in serious financial trouble, precisely because of this well-intended but poor business practice.

(Then obviously there'd have to be a subplot of Save Mr. Vaughn's Antiques Shop, because you couldn't possibly leave that loose thread at the end.)

"Don't worry, you'll get minimum wage."

*snort* Yeah, don't worry. Do you know what minimum wage is in Wyoming? I do. $5.15/hr. $5.15/HOUR!!!!!!!! That's so stupidly low!!!!!! I mean, it's obviously overridden by the federal minimum wage of $7.25, thank God, because $7.25 isn't a living wage unless you're working like three jobs, not even in the Midwest, which is a relatively cheap area to live.

I mean, I know Finnley's living at home, but GOOD GOD WYOMING'S MINIMUM WAGE IS PRACTICALLY NOTHING. For the love of God, have they not changed it since the 70s? Plus, Finnley actually does need to make some real money, because he's not just getting a job for work experience or something - he needs to help his mom out, because they're kind of struggling.

Okay, moving on.

I like that Finnley's got to start playing Sherlock at deducing things about the antiques. That's fun. Although (as with Sherlock's logic, often) I have to question the logic that "this item is damaged, therefore it belonged to a child." But I guess Sherlock would say "balance of probability."

Okay, I think I've said enough for today. Can't wait for more!

Image




Que says...


Thanks for the review! You really bring up some good points that I haven't quite worked out yet. ;) I'm still not sure what I'm going to do about the money situation or anything, but Finnley's going to be okay because he's really sharp and also the only person working there so he'll get above minimum wage. (I've just never had an actual job even though I should, so, I thought minimum wage might be a good place to start.) ugh so much to consider here!! XD



BluesClues says...


It's okay! As a person who has worked several jobs, mostly for minimum and slightly-above minimum wage but also some with significantly better wages, I can probably answer any questions you might have on that front.



Que says...


Thanks! I might take you up on that offer as I begin to work out the more logistical things. :)



BluesClues says...


Excellent :) I could complain about explain retail all day.




As the notifications drift in I stop and wonder. Why do they take so long? Do they have adventures we don't know about? I bet they do. When they come I will ask myself. What amazing adventure has this straggling notification been on? How far did it travel, and why didn't it take me?
— TypoWithoutCoffee