How Was Your Day? - Chapter 5.1

by Que

September 13 • Friday

(5:32 pm)

"It's strange how things you think would be painful are actually fun. Like sports, for example. Or studying for a test, or changing something about your life. They're things you'd like to avoid, but when it gets down to it, things aren't as bad as they seem.

"Despite all I've been learning and how I've been growing, there are some things that I don't think I'll ever get over. I think about them, and I know I should talk about them, but I can't. I choke on the words and feel dizzy every time I try. It's something hard, but it's never becoming easier, never becoming fun. I think that there are some cases in which things were never meant to be dredged up.

"I think it's best if I just take things little by little. I'm doing better, and I can't ask for much more than that, though my mother certainly can. Not that she knows all that I'm hiding- no one does. But improvement is good... I hope.

"-F-"

It seemed that Finnley was always closing his laptop with a sigh these days. He was telling people a little more than he would have liked, a little more than he felt comfortable doing. His mom and his therapist were encouraging it- they said it was a good sign. It didn't feel like a good sign.

Finnley looked over his homework assignment again. Mia would be coming over any minute. When Finnley had complained about the biology test Monday, and how confusing it was, Mia had insisted they study together. She certainly had no qualms about biology, or studying. Or really, much of anything. Over the past week, she had worked him hard playing softball. In gym he still seemed to be failing hopelessly, but Mia reassured him that he was doing well.

They were going to meet up right after school (they had taken to walking home together most days), but Finnley's mom had insisted that she come over later and have dinner with them. Although he had been expecting it, he still started when he heard the doorbell.

"Come on down, Finnley! Mia's here!" his mother called up just as she opened the door.

"Mrs. Bale?" said Mia's confident voice. "I'm Mia Hart. It's a pleasure to meet you!"

"And you as well, Mia," Finnley's mother replied, sounding truly pleased. Finnley was actually excited to see Mia. Though it promised to be a hard bit of studying, they decided that they could watch a movie if they ever got through it. He scampered down the stairs and saw Mia in the doorway, wearing a bright turquoise dress and chatting with his mom near the door. She looked up at him as he came down.

"Hi Fin!" she grinned, waving cheerily. His mom raised an eyebrow that Mia couldn't see; even she didn't call him Fin, but it was a Mia thing, and like all Mia things, he couldn't stop it.

"Hey Mia," Finnley said, sticking his hands in his pockets. "How've things been since I last saw you three hours ago?"

"Oh it's been fine, just being with my plants- I'll have to show you them sometime!" Mia said excitedly as Mrs. Bale slipped back into the kitchen. From what he had heard, Mia practically had a forest in her home. She loved plants and flowers of all kinds, but claimed that animals disagreed with her.

"Of course! But while you're here, I have to introduce you to Rory." When Finnley showed her to his hutch and let her hold Rory, she immediately retracted her previous statement concerning animals.

"He's so cute!" she squealed, hugging him. They sat for a few minutes with the rabbit before going to dinner, after which it was time for the real work.

"My bedroom's just up here," Finnley said, gesturing at the stairs as Mia thanked his mother countless times. He opened the door and pulled out all of the worksheets he had been attempting to study off of. Almost immediately, Mia snatched them from his hands and looked them over.

"No no no," she scoffed, "that's not how it's done. Honestly, Finnley, it's only the second unit. How hard can it be?"

"And I suppose you got them all right?" he sniffed, raising an eyebrow. "Even number seven?"

"Yes indeed," she said pompously, but with a smile. "Here- do you have a pencil?" Mia showed him how the entire problem worked, and what to do if such a hard thing happened to come up on the test.

"You know what? You're brilliant at everything. How'd you do that?" Finnley said in awe. Science was something that he struggled with, as well as obviously sports. Mia seemed to do both of those things with ease.

"Thanks," she said, loosing her long black hair only to put it back in a ponytail again. "What I don't get is all that artsy stuff- your poetry, for example. Mine is just... I don't know what. When we read them all again, and I ended up reading one I wrote about what my dog looks like. I thought it was okay, but then you read yours about all the smells of home, old and new, and I realized that mine was just terrible."

"No, yours isn't terrible!" Finnley said- just a bit too quickly.

Mia stared him down, her face looking as if it was carved from stone, an odd look for someone usually so lively. "Don't ever lie to me," she said, deadly quiet.

Finnley nodded uncertainty, his eyes shifting away from her stiff stare. "But there are some things-"

"I know there are some things you won't tell me," she cut in. "I understand that. But don't you ever lie to my face like that."

"What if you really aren't horrible, though?"

"I'll believe that when you say it- when you aren't lying," Mia said. Suddenly, she broke into a smile. "I notice things, remember?"

Finnley let out a breath he hadn't realized he'd been holding. Normal Mia was back again- or, at least as normal as she could get. "Alright, well, it wasn't such a great poem. But if you help me with this biology for our test Monday, I'll help you write some poems for this unit. Deal?"

"AND I get to keep teaching you softball," Mia added.

Finnley sighed and rolled his eyes. "And you get to keep teaching me softball."

"Deal!"

It was hardly late at all when they finished studying. They had been chatting for a while when Mia cut in.

"Oh! What about that movie?" she said, her eyes lighting up.

"Well, sure. I guess we just forgot about it. Do you have a favorite?" Finnley asked. A movie would be another two hours... that would be okay, it would be over in time and Mia would get home in time and everything.

"What movies do you have?"

"They're all down here in our living room, you can take a look if you want," he said distantly, still thinking it over in his mind.

"And... would it be okay if I stayed overnight? I have a tendency to fall asleep during movies, it might be easier for you to just leave me there instead of trying to wake me up!" she laughed.

"You... what?" It was suddenly as if Finnley had woken up. "Well, I guess, I'll have to, um, ask my mom first," he said, stumbling over his words.

"Of course! If she says no, I understand. But I'll just call my dad when you let me know, okay?"

"Yeah, sure, just look through the movies..." Finnley was now fighting to keep calm. What would she discover if she were to stay overnight? There was only one answer to that: Allie. 

Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:08 am
Snazzy wrote a review...

Hi Falco!

I'm still kind of in "review research essays" mode because of an essay we're writing for Composition, but I'll try my best! If I scream at you for not citing something one of your characters said, please disregard (Snazzy) .

It's something hard, but it's never becoming easier, never becoming fun.

You're trying to reference what Finnley first said about things you avoid that actually aren't that bad, right? I find that it's a little unclear and confusing. I mean, when I really think about it I'm like "oh yeah, that's what that sentence means", but my first thoughts are "if something's hard, won't it always never become easy?". As your novel progressed, I would encourage you to keep sentences like that close to the parts they reference (unless it's really clear what you're trying to convey).

"Don't ever lie to me," she said, deadly quiet.

Yikes! I know I haven't read all the previous chapters, but from the overview you sent me and Mia's personality up until now, this seems extremely unlike her character. Sometimes things like that can be good (and exciting), but this seems really abrupt. And then she's back to normal, a couple of sentences later? It jarred me, from the perspective of a reader. (Just something I noticed.)

The last thing I noticed was Mia's request to sleep over. I'm assuming they're in high school (though I could be wrong), so this seems somewhat odd. I mean, even assuming her dad's cool with her staying the night with a (male) friend's house, they haven't known each other for long, right? And the fact that Ms. Bale didn't even know Mia (except from Finnley) until previously that day kind of makes me think she wouldn't ask to begin with.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying this, and I can't wait to see where it leads to next! :D Keep up the good work!

~Snazzy

Que says...

Thanks for the review! To be honest that sentence doesn't make much sense to me either. XD And I was trying to show that Mia can be dead serious about things when she needs to and that Finnley can understand and respect that, but you're right in saying that it's kind of jarring. (I think I have a moment like that in the latest chapter as well :0) I'll see if I can smooth it over! And yes, it didn't seem likely but I really wanted it to happen. The only other way I can picture it is she falls asleep studying with Fin, but then Mrs. Bale would go into full mother mode and usher her home. Any ideas about how I could make that work better and be more logical? Anyway, thank you so much for the review! I always love more feedback. <3

Que says...

Snazzy says...

No problem! :3

Oh okay - yeah, I think that if you just smooth that aspect of her personality out, that would be totally fine. (I like Mia, by the way. She's quirky. :3)

Hmmm, that's a tricky one... I think that when the parents know each other more, it's a little more likely to go over smoothly. Perhaps even before Finnley tells Mrs. Bale about Mia, she met Mia's father already and they chatted a while?

Other things, like separate rooms, a certain curfew (when they both have to be in their separate rooms) could help. I think it'd be really effective if the dad made the calls (on things like separate rooms and the curfew), and because he's already met Mrs. Bale a few times, he knows that she will strictly enforce the rule (in a kind way). (?)

That's what I have - I'll let you know if I get any more ideas!

ChieTheWriter wrote a review...

Hey Falconer, I'm obviously writing a review.

First off, complements. Not too many spelling/grammar errors and the story flowed well. However, I do have a few questions and nitpicks.

Here, I noticed you missed the quotation marks at the end of each paragraph. Unless there was a reason (which I am unaware of) that the quotation marks aren't there, there should be one at the end of each dialogue section.

"-F-"

Not a nitpick really, but what exactly is the "-F-" supposed to mean? Just a question.

"And you as well, Mia," Finnley's mother replied, sounding truly pleased.

I am a bit confused here. If Mrs. Bale already knew Mia's name, why'd Mia introduce herself? It confused me and might sound better if you tweaked Mia's re-introduction a little. You could either let Mia introduce herself before Mrs. Bale called Finnley down so the introduction would make more sense, or change it in your own way. It's not a huge problem, just mixed me up a little.

His mom raised an eyebrow that Mia couldn't see; even she didn't call him Fin, but it was a Mia thing, and like all Mia things, he couldn't stop it.

This seemed to me like a little bit of a run-on sentence. Not too bad, but you could probably make it sound better with two individual sentences.

Besides that I didn't see any other issues. You left us on a good cliffhanger and made the story interesting. Even though I didn't read any of the previous chapters I can understand this chapter very well, and without feeling lost. Great story, Falconer. Keep writing!

Que says...

Thanks for the review! In elementary school, we were taught that if a piece of dialogue or something with quotation marks spans multiple paragraphs, only beginning quotation marks are supposed to be used until the very end, so that you can tell it's the same speaker/writer. The -F- is just how he signs off, I guess, at the end of all his posts.
Also, Mrs. Bale knew about Mia from Finnley, but they hadn't met, so I thought it would be polite to introduce herself officially? Not sure haha. Maybe she could say, "You must be Mia!"
And yep, I can totally fix that sentence right up. :) I'm glad it was easy to understand and all! Thanks again for the review.

Silberfee wrote a review...

It seemed that Finnley was always closing his laptop with a sigh these days. He was telling people a little more than he would have liked, a little more than he felt comfortable doing.
so you mention laptop here which has led me to assume that the above three paragraphs is possibly Finnley typing on his laptop but because of the punctuation marks I'm not sure whether he's speaking to someone and if he is who is he speaking too?

Also in the above quoted sentence what is he telling people more of? His life? I haven't read the last few chapters so I'm not clear on this, but I felt it could be expanded upon, why does it not feel like a good sign? I expect he would feel vulnerable and exposed, the more people knows about him the easier he is to attack.

The lack of description made the story move too quickly but because it is a story I felt like you could expand on this part:

How did they study? Were they focussed or did they study for a few minutes then start grumbling about hard questions or ..?

The ending was good, it has intrigued me and encouraged to read the rest of the story, in fact I'm trying to improve my narrative ability because I haven't written a story in what feels like a decade (reality: about six years ago) so I'm trying to review more stories so I can pick up techniques - so I'll try to read the rest of the story and see what happens!

Good Luck!

Que says...

Thank you for the review! Yes, he's making a blog post, as he has done at the start of every chapter. He's basically using it as an online journal at the suggestion of his therapist, so he's been making profound statements and dodging around his past for a little bit, which is what he's telling people a little bit more of, or at least hinting at. He's very shy, so it's difficult to open up, and he has a lot of mixed feelings.
And I didn't really want to focus on the studying, it's really just a way to get Mia over there and build up to the nighttime events, but I might describe it just a bit.
Thanks again!

PrincessInk wrote a review...

Hi, Falconer, I'm dropping by for a review! Sorry I didn't get a chance to review a couple of your previous chapters.

It was a good read, like the previous chapters. But it was slightly dialogue-heavy and I feel as if it could have some more brevity here. Mia and Finnley's personalities were vividly different and I thought you expressed it well as they talked. But like I said before, some more brevity--"tightening up"--can be a bigger improvement. Making clear-cut dialogue is tough for me, a dialogue-heavy writer, as well.

It also felt odd that biology would have some kind of step-by-step problem here. I usually feel as it's chemistry or physics that would have that type--that is, unless the problem was something rather mathematical. You don't have to change the subject but I just want to mention that.

I liked the internal conflict in Finnley. His mom and therapist says that he opens up more, but Finnley's not too sure if he likes it that way or not. I'm pretty sure Mia is playing a role in this, and I'm kind of excited to see how Mia is going to affect Finnley later.

There wasn't too much indication of time in this chapter. I can see they've been studying in the afternoon, will have dinner soon, but I would have liked some more showing about what time it was. Finnley must be quite nervous about Allie and maybe as the afternoon slips into night he might periodically check the clock. Or you could add some changes in the light coming into Finnley's room.

The tension about Allie wasn't particularly strong here, in the last few paragraphs. Perhaps show more of Finnley's anxiety about Mia's wish to stay here overnight. The possibility that Mia might see Allie was quite exciting, and it made me wonder why Finnley doesn't want anybody to know about Allie. Is it because people might see him the wrong way? Still, like I said before, it wasn't executed so perfectly.

Overall, fun chapter to read, but some tweaking here and there would make a huge improvement! I hope you don't mind my relatively long review and keep writing!

~Princess Ink~

Que says...

Thanks for the review! You have some very good points. I haven't done bio in forever, so I don't even know what kind of HW they would have haha. :) And yes, I used to struggle with too much description and now I've come more towards too much dialogue. Any tips on how I can shorten it a bit without seeming to summarize? Or how to make it more action oriented before I get to the actual action part (next chapter lol get excited!)
Mm and time started at 5:32 pm (shown at the top), but I like the idea of Finnley checking the time and it getting darker outside.
Thanks again!

PrincessInk says...

For example, delete some unnecessary words. For example, when Finnley says, "And you get to keep teaching me softball." He could say instead, "All right, that too." Or when Mia mentioned about the overnight thing, perhaps they could already be downstairs in the living room. Adding action between the words could help, with timing. I think the amount of dialogue is fine--it's simply that some stuff they say can be occasionally snipped off, here and there, to keep the pace going. But don't overdo it :D

I feel like the tension is more like in Finnley's thoughts, rather than truly in action. It seems harder and harder for Finnley to hide his secret. So try showing his nervousness.

Just a side note: there'll be Review Day soon, and I'm pretty sure you'll get more reviews. So maybe you can check to see if others agree with me. If they do, then it's probably a good idea to fix it. :)

It's Monday and you folks are beginning to wonder about the show, aren't you
— David Letterman