z

Young Writers Society



How Was Your Day? - Chapter 12.2

by Que


"Monica! What the heck are you doing in my car?" Finnley screamed, though he kept his eyes on the road. Whatever was going on here, he wouldn't let them all die in a car accident just because he got panicked.

"I just wanted to warn you. I don't think you should go find your uncle right now, Mia," Monica said softly, but by no means timidly.

Mia, who had been sitting calmly this whole time, twisted in the passenger seat to face Monica. "You're the one who told Finnley that Sylvie and I had a history," she said flatly. It wasn't a question. Monica merely nodded. "You seem to know a lot of things you shouldn't. How'd you know about my uncle? We haven't told anyone."

Monica shrugged, looking a bit uncomfortable with Mia turned around and Finnley glancing at her in the rearview mirror. "Look," she said, splaying her hands. It looked more like she was bracing herself than a comforting gesture. "Sometimes... sometimes I just know things, okay? It's like intuition, I can sense that something is coming. Somehow. Like this evening. I was walking to the dance, and happened to pass by your house, when I got the feeling that you were going to do something. I- I hid in the car while you were inside. And you yourself mentioned where you were going, your uncle's, just a bit ago," Monica added.

Finnley had to admit her story was sound. It was a bit of a crazy move, acting on instinct, and he found himself respecting her for it.

"You aren't dressed for a dance," Mia replied, wrinkling her nose at Monica's t-shirt. But when Finnley looked back in the mirror, she was actually wearing a simple dress, with the top cut very much like a t-shirt, just nicer. He must've been imagining things.

"Sorry if I'm not as decadent as you when I go to a dance, Mia," Monica said with a little sarcastic smile. "But then, none of us are going to a dance, are we?"

Mia turned in her seat so she faced forward again, grinning. "I like her," she told Finnley. "Okay, Monica. There's no way we're backing out now, sorry to say. But you can come with us if you want."

Monica considered for a moment. "I'd rather you not go at all..." she began, then shook her head. "Deal."

Mia reached into the backseat and the two girls shook hands. "It's on."

Finnley, on the other hand, was miffed. "You two just- like that- she's coming with us?"

Mia sighed dramatically. "Well we're in too far to turn around now, aren't we? Besides, having another set of eyes and an open mind might be helpful."

"Not to offend you, Monica, but we don't really know you at all. I mean, I really appreciated your advice the other day, and thank you so so much for that, but we just talked a little and you don't even know our goal-"

"I'm passionate about cheese," Monica smiled as she cut him off, putting a hand on his shoulder. "Now keep driving!"

"R-right," Finnley muttered, refocusing on the task at hand. He tried to ignore the fact that his cheeks felt a little warm. He flicked the headlights on as the late September evening got darker.

Mia was squinting. "I think she's trustworthy," she mused, and Finnley trusted her judgement. She had a good gut feeling most of the time- maybe that's what Monica had too. "Monica, we're looking into some supernatural occurrences in the forest," Mia began, and Finnley could've sworn that her face went pale upon hearing those words. Mia didn't seem to notice.

As the Internet had predicted, it took an hour and a half, skirting the northern and western edges of the forest, to get to Uncle Fred's home. Mia and Monica hit it off immediately, and Finnley marveled that a friendship could be forged so fast, though he supposed that's how it happened with everyone Mia met. He naturally wanted to be suspicious of Monica, but her smile had a disarming effect, and besides, there was something... something earnest and honest about her that made him trust her as well.

Mia's uncle's house was on the edge of the woods. It was technically a part of a neighborhood, though it was a loose term for a scattered community. His house was small and built like a log cabin, looming ominously in the dark, but the light streaming from the window was inviting.

"I don't like this," Monica murmured, pulling her coat tight around herself- since when did she have a jacket with her? She must've put it on after she'd gotten out of the car. "I told you, we shouldn't be here," she warned, raising her voice a touch. "There's something not right." Finnley couldn't feel it though, and Mia marched right for the front door.

When Mia knocked on the door, she truly knocked. In her fancy dress and heels, probably already sinking into the pine needle laden soil, she banged on the door with everything she had. "Uncle Fred!" she called, and Finnley and Monica cringed- Finnley from the loudness, and Monica from something else.

After a moment of silence, a voice rose up from the depths of the house: "Who is it?"

For the first time, Mia looked uncertain. She glanced back at Finnley, who drew in closer for support, unintentionally drawing Monica with him. "It's Mia, your niece?" From her facial expression, Mia hadn't meant it to come out as a question.

Again, there was a pause. A slight shuffling sound. The voice was closer when it came again. "Mia?" the voice was younger than Finnley had anticipated, hoarse and incredibly human. It had some certain warmth to it, something living.

"That's right," Mia said, and her voice was pitched higher than it normally was.

"You can't come in," the voice was weary, but there was steel in it. There would be no yielding on this point. Mia saw it too and made a show of stomping away.

"Goodbye, Uncle!" she called loftily. There was a shadow at the front window for a moment before it disappeared. Then, the three of them crept around of the side of the house. They did so nearly in unison, not needing to be told. As luck would have it, there was a side door.

The hair on the back of Finnley's neck began to rise, and he fought the urge to turn away. Monica shivered beside him. "Mia, you really shouldn't-"

But Mia was already opening the door, and the darkness was already rushing out through the cracks. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
641 Reviews


Points: 46598
Reviews: 641

Donate
Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:57 pm
View Likes
Panikos wrote a review...



Hi, Querencia. This'll be my last review of the night - and my 300th review of all time! Quite the honour to meet such a milestone by way of your lovely novel.

"Monica! What the heck are you doing in my car?" Finnley screamed


Gotta admire Finnley. Even when a random girl pops up on the back seat of his car, he keeps his language kid-friendly. Can't relate, but I've got to hand it to him.

Mia, who had been sitting calmly this whole time, twisted in the passenger seat to face Monica. "You're the one who told Finnley that Sylvie and I had a history," she said flatly.


Eh, I find it kind of weird that Mia doesn't have any notable reaction. I know she's never as perturbed by crazy situations as Finnley is, but I'd expect her to still be taken by surprise at a completely primal level. It sort of feels like you couldn't be bothered to spend time making her react.

Monica shrugged, looking a bit uncomfortable with Mia turned around and Finnley glancing at her in the rearview mirror.


Slightly clunky sentence - it took a few read-throughs to get what it meant. Could do with rephrasing.

"Look," she said, splaying her hands. It looked more like she was bracing herself than a comforting gesture. "Sometimes... sometimes I just know things, okay? It's like intuition, I can sense that something is coming. Somehow. Like this evening. I was walking to the dance, and happened to pass by your house, when I got the feeling that you were going to do something. I- I hid in the car while you were inside. And you yourself mentioned where you were going, your uncle's, just a bit ago," Monica added.


And the surprises just keep on coming! I really like this development - it goes a long way to explaining the vague oddness that surrounded Monica when she was first introduced. It's also cool that it's not full-on clairvoyance, as well - more just like a general sense that Something Isn't Right. That must be a really sucky power to have, I must admit. Like having anxiety except all of your bad feelings actually have traction.

But when Finnley looked back in the mirror, she was actually wearing a simple dress, with the top cut very much like a t-shirt, just nicer. He must've been imagining things.


What now? Clairvoyance isn't the limit of her powers, it might seem. I actually think you could cut out 'he must've been imagining things', because it almost draws too much attention to the moment and makes us think that he definitely wasn't imagining things. You could keep it subtler, so that it's the kind of moment we only notice in hindsight. Like, if you had this:

But when Finnley looked in the mirror again, he realised she was actually wearing a simple dress, with the top cut very much like a t-shirt, just nicer.

It's only a suggestion, and it's obviously up to you if you use or not, but I think by saying Finnley 'realised' she was wearing a simple dress, it makes it seem more like it was a mistake on Finnley's part rather than a physical change. The oddness of the situation is less blatant.

"Not to offend you, Monica, but we don't really know you at all. I mean, I really appreciated your advice the other day, and thank you so so much for that, but we just talked a little and you don't even know our goal-"

"I'm passionate about cheese," Monica smiled as she cut him off, putting a hand on his shoulder. "Now keep driving!"


1) Maybe make it clear that Finnley is saying the former bit of dialogue. I did manage to work it out, but I was confused for a moment beforehand.

2) The cheese comments seems a little random, though I sort of get why it's there. Is she basically saying 'there, you know something about me now, stop complaining'? If that's the case, it could be set up a bit more cleanly. If Finnley said something along the line of 'we don't really know a thing about you-' and she cut him off by saying 'I'm passionate about cheese' then the transition would probably work better.

Good that we have a cheese lover in the cast, though. This I can relate to.

He naturally wanted to be suspicious of Monica, but her smile had a disarming effect, and besides, there was something... something earnest and honest about her that made him trust her as well.


'Earnest and honest'? You mean she's cute, Finnley.

"I don't like this," Monica murmured, pulling her coat tight around herself- since when did she have a jacket with her? She must've put it on after she'd gotten out of the car.


This is better than the first Strange Clothing Occurence. It's less on the nose.

"You can't come in," the voice was weary, but there was steel in it. There would be no yielding on this point. Mia saw it too and made a show of stomping away.

"Goodbye, Uncle!" she called loftily. There was a shadow at the front window for a moment before it disappeared. Then, the three of them crept around of the side of the house. They did so nearly in unison, not needing to be told. As luck would have it, there was a side door.


I struggled to follow this ending. It just seemed a bit disjointed, and I couldn't fully follow Mia's motivations. Maybe it's because you don't signpost the oddness of the situation enough. As far as I can gather, there seems to be something wrong with the uncle, something that's immediately obvious from how he talks. However, you don't give us quite enough of Finnley and the others' reactions - we get a sense that they're a bit uneasy, but nothing specific. I don't know. It just felt a bit odd to read.

That's all for now. Pretty good chapter segment overall! I love the revelation about Monica and I like that we're delving back into the creepy, supernatural side of the plot after our teen-drama detour. I'd just encourage you to drop less obvious hints about Monica's clothes-realated oddities and try and make the ending a tad clearer.

Keep writing! :D
~Pan




User avatar
373 Reviews


Points: 46306
Reviews: 373

Donate
Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:36 am
View Likes
PrincessInk wrote a review...



Hey Falc!

So the ending is creepy and I do want to know what happens next because it ends on such a cliffhanger! I think the tension was built up really nicely from Monica's forewarning because I feel as though she knows more than she lets on. Plus the description of her house, which delivered a spooky atmosphere. And then "don't go in" warning. That was ominous.

It feels a bit funny to me that Mia and Monica could relax to start making a friendship. Everybody's nervous, right? Finnley's driving and anxious about this supernatural thing; Mia's also anxious and anticipating this event; Monica's having some sense of foreboding for this. I feel like maybe Finnley could realize "hey, they became friends so quickly" AFTER some event that forces them to band together or something like that. I imagine that if they worked together and got themselves out of trouble, they might bond!

I think the development of the friendship doesn't have to be too fast. I know that fast friendships equal being friends with Mia, but then they weren't absolutely close until after a few days and the incident in the forest. Right? So it doesn't have to be too fast and I'd like to see if after they face (and possibly overcome) the next few moments.

So this story is really picking up, with a possible new character who somehow has a bit of a supernatural aspect here. I wonder Mr. Vaughn is related to this, and I do want to know how they can face whatever's happening next. Hope this helped, and I'll see you in the next LMS entry! :D




Que says...


Hey! Sorry I didn't reply earlier because I was away and only just remembered now. I told BlueAfrica as well, but I'm struggling a bit with their relationship because it has such a sketchy start and I want things to be solid already. It's hard when I'm writing for LMS and I can't write the solid bits first to see how they would interact here. I'll try to make it more natural, though!! But yeah, I'm excited about this too, and will try to tie Mr. Vaughn in at some point! Thanks. :)



User avatar
1735 Reviews


Points: 91980
Reviews: 1735

Donate
Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:27 am
View Likes
BluesClues wrote a review...



Finally here!

"I'm passionate about cheese," Monica smiled as she cut him off, putting a hand on his shoulder.


??? I was completely confused by this line, unless she means...I don't know...cheese like kitsch?

I'm so pleased that Monica's going along with them. I love the girl-girl friendship we now get on top of things, and the fact that Monica's got something weird and supernatural going on with her, too. I think this bit could use a little expanding.

She had a good gut feeling most of the time- maybe that's what Monica had too. "Monica, we're looking into some supernatural occurrences in the forest," Mia began, and Finnley could've sworn that her face went pale upon hearing those words. Mia didn't seem to notice.

As the Internet had predicted, it took an hour and a half, skirting the northern and western edges of the forest, to get to Uncle Fred's home.


Of course we don't need to hear Mia's whole explanation, because we already know about everything. But maybe a bit more of "Mia told her the whole story + Monica's reaction to the story" (I know you say she goes pale) would be nice, because right now the line you've got cuts weirdly into things and then breaks off as soon as it starts.

Mia and Monica hit it off immediately, and Finnley marveled that a friendship could be forged so fast, though he supposed that's how it happened with everyone Mia met.


In this case, I feel like you don't need to tell us this at all, since a) it's already apparent and b) we're going to get to see more of Mia and Monica's actual interactions and the development of their friendship. Plus, since Mia spends part of this drive telling Monica something scary and unbelievable and Monica goes pale and she's already there in the first place to warn them away from visiting Mia's uncle, it's sort of strange to talk about how quickly they hit it off when they're all a little on edge.

UGH I'm so glad you're doing this for LMS, because I know roughly when I'll get more.

Image




Que says...


Duuuude thank you so much! I would respond to individual points, but I'm leaving for Iceland in like 7 minutes so there's not much time. Very good points though! I'll get back to this later maybe. :)



BluesClues says...


Iceland??? Have fun and tell us all about it!



Que says...


Oh! Okay, I wanted to respond to this more specifically now. The whole cheese thing was because Finnley said he didn't know anything about Monica, so she was being "helpful" by telling him about her. And I do hope to smooth out the Monica-Mia relationship a bit more! It's not very solid in my head, so I was trying to put in some solid statements here, but I guess it's not really time for that now. I just want to get the feel of it and firm some things up- maybe I'll just make some notes for later. Thanks!!!



BluesClues says...


Ohhhhhhhhhhh, okay. (Wow, so I'm forgetful. Of course you already told us where you were going.)




These were autumn mornings, the time of year when kings of old went forth to conquest; and I, never stirring from my little corner in Calcutta, would let my mind wander over the whole world.
— Rabindranath Tagore, The Cabuliwallah