The Man Who Breaks Science

by ExOmelas

I've got a new face today,

Sent down from the Time Lords of Gallifrey.

I've got a whole new twelve life set,

More than any Time Lord should get.

.

I chased all the monsters away

On an eternal Christmas Day,

A town where no one lies,

On the planet where I was supposed to die.

.

I've broken science!

Gone against how the world's supposed to be.

Today I won't be dying.

Christmas is protected cause it's got me!

.

Twelve was the max

But you know me, I hate facing facts

I exceeded twelve times,

The most inexcusable, inexplicable, incredible of crimes.

.

Clara begged me to change the future,

You've no idea what I would do for her.

The future's always changing, all wibbly wobbly timey wimey.

Now, it's my turn again. Let's change ME!

.

I've broken science!

Today I won't be dying.

Christmas is protected because it's got me!

.

The Doctor's face changes constantly.

Hartnell, Troughton, Pertwee,

That makes three.

Baker, Davison and Baker again!

The Doctor will never end.

McCoy, McGann ... wait ...

Admittedly ... he took a little break ...

And then came the reboot that

introduced us all to Chris, David ... Matt.

.

And now look, see me?

I'm Peter Capaldi,

The face that can't possibly be ....

.

I've broken science!

I'm never really dying.

The universe will always, forever and ever and ever and ever ... be protected ... because it's. Got. ME!

Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:22 am
Casanova wrote a review...

Heya, Scot! Casanova here to do a review for you!

*reads through till I see Matt*

Anyway, I'll be taking this verse by verse, so I hope you don't mind. To the review!

I've got a new face today,

I've got a whole new twelve life set,

More than any Time Lord should get.

You start off with a strong flow and a not too bad rhyme scheme, so I'll have to give you props for that. Anyway, onward!

I chased all the monsters away

On an eternal Christmas Day,

A town where no one lies,

I don't know much about Doctor Who, but this just seems a bit rushed to me. You go from chasing monsters away to supposed to have died. I didn't like the switch, in all honesty. I would like to have heard some about the journey in between, if you know what I mean. Anyway, onward.

I've broken science!

Today I won't be dying.

Here I got a little confused. I'm a lyricist as well, and one thing I know is rhyme schemes(rap is my thing, yo) and here your rhyme scheme changes, and I was wondering why that was? Your lines don't have to rhyme in order to be lyrics, but you should try to keep the rhyme scheme consistent. Anyway, onward.

The Doctor's face changes constantly.

Hartnell, Troughton, Pertwee,

That makes three.

Baker, Davison and Baker again!

The Doctor will never end.

McCoy, McGann ... wait ...

And then came the reboot that

You have a AAA BB CC rhyme here. Instead of AABBCC- which I think would make it sound better. Again, this is different from the first rhyme scheme and the second rhyme scheme, and I thought that was odd. Anyway, onward.

And now look, see me?

I'm Peter Capaldi,

The face that can't possibly be ....

.

I've broken science!

I'm never really dying.

Here it seems like you're just messing around and having fun with the lyrics- which is always a good thing! I have nothing against writing something just for fun, and I would love to hear how this is supposed to go.

Overall, I think you have a decent idea with some rhyme issues and some minor flow problems. Beyond that I really can't review- considering I don't know much about doctor who at all. So props for the lyrics, it's always refreshing to read them.

Anyway, that's all I have to say on this one and I hope it helped.

Keep on doing what you're doing and keep on keeping on.

Your friend, Matt

bookboysarebest wrote a review...

First off may I tip my hat to you. I love DW soooo much, and when I saw this I was skeptical. But now, whoa, awesome job!
I loved how you incorporated the different actors in your song, and different events (kinda).

Now getting all serious....

The tone of the song was upbeat, very good, and the bridge was practically undetectable (again very good). The rhythm was a bit iffy, but hey its music who cares. Very pleased that you have a chorus, it bothers me when there is none, and I am fond of the term "I broke science".

Overall good job, and awesome fanmusic! (is fanmusic even a thing, if not it is now).

ExOmelas says...

Thankyou so much :) And yes fanmusic is definitely a thing! In fact, when it's about Doctor Who, it's called Trock (Timelord Rock). The pioneering band of the genre is Chameleon Circuit and they are awesome. Anyway, thankyou :)

Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:56 am
MooCowPoop wrote a review...

Nice! Fan fiction about Dr. Who, that's awesome! Now, I've never reviewed song lyrics before, but today's the day that changes, and you're my lucky reviewee ( I think that's the appropriate way to say it, right?). : D

These are really cool lyrics. The tone is upbeat and awesome. It's cool how you make Dr. Who sound so awesome ( because he is).

The flow is a little murky, but since it's a song, I don't think that matters too much because in songs, the lyrics go to the music most of the time.

It's a cool song. Good job!

ExOmelas says...

Thanks! Hooray for the Doctor :-)

Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:00 pm
TheSkyIsGreen wrote a review...

Hi BiscuitsBatchAvoy! Yay! A fellow Whovian!

Okay, so this a review? Yeah, I guess so.

Um, I'm not sure what DW is. Is there a link or something you could include in this so I could listen to it? I'm having a hard time picking up what the beat is you want this to go to, so it's making it really hard to get a rhythm for this.

Um, yeah! So...
"A town where no-one lies"
Is that supposed to be hyphenated? I think it's spelled "no one."

I'm still kind of new to Doctor Who, so I guess I don't get all the references, but this is really cool! I think maybe when I see more Doctor Who I'll get this better? Maybe I can reread this after I finish watching all the episodes I have left.

I don't think there's anything else wrong with this, except maybe the rhythm, but I'm not sure, since I don't know...
Oh.
Did you mean Doctor Who's theme song? 'Cuz when I Googled DW, I got "Drum Workshop."
Um, yeah. So.
This is my first review!

ExOmelas says...

Haha ok. Um there's a music genre called Trock and it's just music about doctor who so it has it's own rhythm. I could maybe make a youtube video of me singing the tune if you want? And which episodes have you been watching? :) oh and welcome to yws ;)

Okay I'll look into it! Yea, if you sang it that might help! Um...I just finished watching the third episode David Tennant was in (back in '06?), so, yeah, I'm still getting caught up! Thanks!

ExOmelas says...

Oh, well this is about the NEXT Doctor's regeneration so I'm not surprised if it doesn't make much sense :-)

You wake up in the morning and it feels impossible? Good. You do it anyway.
— Martin Scorcese