Untitled

by EverStorm

She laughed and pressed her forehead to his steady chest. She felt him press a kiss to her hair. He was being hesitant, so quiet.

"What's wrong?" She asked. His eyes were dark and she pulled away. He looked at the floor.

"Trisha..." He began, "I... I'm sorry. I didn't mean it to happen. Hannah wanted to work on our Bio project... It was late..."

"What?" She whispered, her trembling hand rose to cover her mouth. "You mean... What?"

His lip trembled and he finally looked into her eyes, "I stopped it before anything... Permanent happened." He whispered, "I'm so sorry."

"Why?" She choked out. Her head was spinning. Tears pooled in her eyes, but she didn't let them fall.

"I don't know... One minute we were sitting at my table... My parents were at the store... My brothers were in their rooms... And she just leaned over and... Kissed me. I shouldn't have let her. I'm so sorry." Jake's voice was unsteady. She bit her lip and glared at the floor of her room. The bright colors seemed to be taunting her.

"You should have stopped her... You should have thought about me... Why didn't you?" Trisha asked. She liked how accusing her voice sounded. She hated how it twisted the look on Jake's face.

"Why do you think I stopped?" He asked, a flare of anger in his voice.

"Why didn't you think of me before she even came over?" She asked. "You didn't even tell me that you had a bio project! Why didn't you tell me that Hannah was going to your house?" She threw the questions out, trying to stay clam. It was nearly impossible.

Jake's face hardened. "Because I knew that this was how you were going to react. You were going to freak out and I knew it!"

"Oh, I'm sorry. You're right. I should just be happy as heck that my boyfriend of two years was making out with another girl. I'm sorry. How was it? Is she a good kisser? How far didja get? Second base?" She spat. The sarcastic smile on her face burned. Tears slid freely down her face.

"Knock that off!" Jake yelled, "It was an accident!"

"Accidents don't happen, Jake!" Trisha yelled, "Bad choices happen! This was certainly not an accident!"

"Why can't you just accept it?" Jake growled, "It happened, I apologized, and it won't happen again."

"I'm hurt, that's why." She cried. She lowered her voice barely above a whisper, "How could you do this and then say all of those awful things?"

"You were over reacting." Jake responded coldly. She paused, surprise and pain mixed together in the pit of her stomach. She felt sick. She stayed silent for over a minute.

"Overreacting." She scoffed, "Yeah, see ya later." She said. She grabbed her jacket off the back of a chair and stormed down the stairs. She made eye contact with her little sister, who had been sitting in the hall, listening. She shook her head at her, knowing she had overheard every word.

She opened the back door and stared at the pouring rain. She stole a glance at the stairs. Jake wasn't following her. She walked out and slammed the door. The rain was freezing and the night sky was completely shaded with clouds.

She walked towards the line of trees and the back of her yard. When she got to them, she looked at the sky. A sob escaped her lips for the first time and she fell to her knees. She sunk into the wet grass and cried. She cried hard.

Jake walked slowly down the stairs a minute later. He looked out the large window and saw Trisha kneeling under the trees. He looked over his shoulder. Trisha's little sister glared at him as she pulled on her shoes and ran out into the rain. Jake watched her wrap her arms around Trisha's hunched form.

He opened the back door and walked into the rain. He took a few steps before he paused. Trisha's choking sobs were painful. He couldn't face her like that. He changed direction and walked to his car.

Trisha twisted around and watched Jake start his car. More sobs escaped and she buried her face in her sister's shoulder as he pulled into the street and drove away. He left her.

Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:50 am
Casanova wrote a review...

Heya, Eeevee! Casanova here to do another review!

Confetti is shot from cannons, the crowd cheers, I scream,"YOUR LAST NON POEM WORK! WOO! Sorry, but I've been waiting to get to your poetry. Saving it as a treat of sorts for when I completed all of your novels/short stories. And since this is the last one.. Well, you better get ready to lose the bet. I've only got thirteen more after this, and that's only a couple hours of work. Sorry, Ev.

Anyway, the length is a lot shorter than most Short Stories. This would do well(the length of it) as a novel chapter. One thing I liked about this, though, was the ending. Why didn't I read these first.. The endings are good in my opinion, and I don't think they could get any better. However, three things I want to talk about that I've been talking about.

1.Dialogue.

Your dialogue is actually improving in this one. There's not as much of it, yet it is still seeming in spots a bit bland. As I said, try experimenting with different phrasings, and ways of asking/stating something besides,"She asked," or,"he said." This will really help you out.

2.Paragraph structure.

You did extremely well with this in this short story. So, I give you props. You didn't over do the paragraphs, and you didn't have many dialogue pieces within your paragraphs. Congrats!

3. Whether this is 1,000 characters or not, I'm done. Over all this was a good short story, and I just wanted to say the ending paragraph, instead of the ending line, could use some work. It's the same idea as the paragraph before, so you could merge them and not make a hassle if you wanted to. The,"sobbing," in the last paragraph actually doesn't make sense without the paragraph before it, so I say go ahead and merge it. Or get rid of that line entirely, and just leave,"He left her." That would be a REALLY bad kicker.

Anyway, this was sad but I loved it. Romance.. Aah, such a good thing to read.

I hope this helped.

Keep on doing what you're doing, and keep on keeping on.

Your friend, Cassy.

Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:26 am
Steggy wrote a review...

I saw this in the green room and decided to come along and review it. Also since it is Valentine's Day, I thought to review something sad such as my love life. Anyway. Onto the review!

I feel like you have a cliche love story that always ends in tears. The character's have some nice interactions with the surroundings around them, and even use it to their advantage. Also the relationship between the two characters, in my opinion, seems fake. In my views on relationships, I've seen people fight and cry over how they lost them. In this story you've written, the characters don't have a simple backstory to give the reader the sense of why they broke up. Like it feels almost rushed? Even though in the beginning, it seems they have the lovely-dovely bond.
Another thing I noticed you took the route of making the love seem to one person instead of the other. That too I've seen with many of my friends. The relationship between the two character seems almost intangible/hard-to-grasp. Like I can't exactly feel what they are feeling as of now. Almost like a loose string holding onto a paper weight. It just keeps breaking and breaking until finally it snaps, causing the paper weight to fall. In other words, try finding a balance or something to make the relationship, whether it being a fail or a success. Think about how your characters would react in this certain situation, since in my point of view, as I said before, completely unrelatable.

You seem to use "she" a lot. I was confused on whom it might be, to be honest. Either Trisha or her sister. In any case, use the name of the character when you have to and she when they are doing something completely unrelated to the reader. That can be easily fixed, no less. Try thinking about a romantic chapter or your parent's relationship. If they suddenly ended, how would each of the people involved feel?
The dialogue, as I said again, feels tight. Also, you seem to use some good discription of how the tones of the characters are during this. I'm impress since for me, coming up with good thoughts and trying to make it seem as if the characters are talking like an old man, is very hard.

I feel like having one person talking for so long about one single subject can get rather boring. Even though it can provide some valid info about the situation. However, try limiting your speaking for your characters down to each other talking. Have one person speak for a time being then switch to a different character. I think you do that nicely in some other parts of this story.

I quite liked this story for the raw thought about relationships in such a time like this. It seems that some people, if they look hard enough into this story, can relate back onto their life and try to make the better of things.
Below, I've provided some links that can help you:

Dialogue

Character Interactions

Break-up scenes

If you like me to go over anything, let me know!

Steggy

Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:16 am
Renn wrote a review...

Hello! Renn here.

First off, I'll start by saying that I like finished feel to the writing. I see a lot of stuff on here that looks like it was never re-read or polished up. So I appreciate the extra effort. :)

That being said, I'll continue.

This is a pretty standard "Something Happened-I Have To Tell You" sort of beginning. Not that that's inherently bad, but it definitely draws from the story. However, I think there are several aspects in this short segment (I can't bring myself to call it a short story, but I don't know why- that's probably my bad.)

There are a few little things that put hiccups in my reading of this [please make a title! (:], but they weren't significant enough for me to mention them in any true detail.

The only thing I find worth really commenting on to improve is this section... My critiques and comments will be in brackets after each paragraph.

"She opened the back door and stared at the pouring rain. She stole a glance at the stairs. Jake wasn't following her. She walked out and slammed the door. The rain was freezing and the night sky was completely shaded with clouds.

[I feel like those first two sentences need to be swapped. How can she look back at the stairs if she's allready down them and out the back door, unless the stairs lead directly down to the back door? If this is true, throw that detail in there, or if it's easier, just swap the sentences. The rest I could find ways just to embellish and make more lively, more descriptive.]

[Maybe say "when she reached them" instead of "when she got to them"... It just sounds a bit more eloquent, less spoken. Again with the more description... Set the scene! Make us cry and feel the rain! Also, at the end, "and cried- hard." would be my suggestion.]

Jake walked slowly down the stairs a minute later. He looked out the large window and saw Trisha kneeling under the trees. He looked over his shoulder. Trisha's little sister glared at him as she pulled on her shoes and ran out into the rain. Jake watched her wrap her arms around Trisha's hunched form."

[I don't quite like that it changed perspectives so quickly and unceremoniously. I was a bit confused how she could see up the stairs from all the way in her back yard, until I realized it was his perspective. My book has a ton of perspective changes, and I usually add line breaks (which are like impossible on YWS) or little symbols to denote the change. I understand the plight. Also, if the night sky is totally covered in clouds, how can he see her out there? Is there a porch light?]

That's all I have! Keep writing. :)
- Renn

I just write poetry to throw my mean callous heartless exterior into sharp relief. I’m going to throw you off the ship anyway.
— Vogon Captain (The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy)