The Iron Monster

by Empress

Frost clings to the iron monster. I wait.

Every morning is the same, every morning I am waiting.

Then the people are boarding.

Colourful old ladies and tracksuit-clad mothers. The familiar suited corporate slaves, barking down silver mobiles, clasping espressos and lattes. Bespectacled students in chequered shirts, clutching streamlined laptops.

And then I see him.

The fat man.

He sits perched on the plastic seat at the end of the carriage. The same seat. He pulls gently on his ebony moustache, occasionally repositioning the hat on his shocking white hair.

The train lurches and we’re off.

The station slips away swiftly, faster than the rising sun. The sky is clad in grey today, a woolly, damp grey. Several minutes wander by before I notice he is closer.

The fat man has moved closer.

As I attempt to interpret this uncharacteristic manoeuvre, his eyes suddenly flash up and I flinch.

I am staring into the fat man’s grey eyes, the grey of the sky’s jacket.

Mortified, I stare at the dirty floor, almost wholly covered by shoes.

Brown brogues. Black heels. White trainers.

I instinctively grab the delicately folded newspaper on the seat next to me, opening it roughly between my face and the rest of the carriage.

After several moments the words slither out and slap me across the face.

Unemployment reaches all-time high.

I close it hurriedly, nausea leeching through me like an unwelcome breeze. Then I take in the front page.

A psycho-analysis of the homeless: what drives their will to live?

Below the caption is a bloated cartoon of a bearded man dressed in newspapers, feeding pigeons. The nausea seizes my mind between its teeth and I am vaguely aware of the newspaper falling from my unresponsive fingers.

And then, realisation. The fat man is standing right in front of me, one fat hand clamped round the roof bar.

I turn my body away from him, staring out the grubby window at the waning city, held in a suffocating duvet of white.

Suddenly the man clears his throat and leans towards me.

‘I’m sorry,’ his voice is higher than I had guessed, his face too cheerful, ‘I see you on this train every morning, but never see the stop you get off at.’ He waits expectantly. I feel the train slowing slightly.

I say nothing, panic kindling inside me, so he continues.

‘So it’s not London Bridge then? Well, I work at the bank you see,’ gesturing pretentiously at his fitted grey suit. That’s when I realise where’s he’s going with this, my heart races, eyes darting round the carriage for some means of escape.

Then he asks it,

‘What is it that you do?’

A sickly light flashes behind my eyes, the floor swaying as I stumble to my feet, train slowing further. The man steps back, alarmed, fat face reddening.

The train stops.

I mouth profuse thanks in the general direction of the sky as I shove past him, falling towards the door, and punching the open button. A blast of icy air attacks my face and I scurry into the cold, glancing behind me.

The fat man stares, head slightly cocked. His mouth is opening-

The door slides closed slicing his words into fragments, quickly cradled by the wind and carried far away. I watch his face crease in surprise and then I hurry into the station. The iron beast rolls away.

Words chase each other around my mind, the words of the fat man.

Soon I find myself floating through a shop. My feet stop at a stand, eyes glued in alarm at the rack of newspapers.

Line after line of them.

I stare, desperate to rip my gaze away, but my eyes seem frozen, locked on the cartoon on the front page. Repeated dozens of times over.

The cartoon of the newspaper-clad man.

The man with the beard, feeding the pigeons.

By Bethan-Ann Scott ©

Blackwood wrote a review...

This was amazing. Incredibly so.

Why does the fat man have a black mustache and white hair? Its a bit of an odd image.

‘What is it thatyoudo?’

Is the lack of spaces intentional, because I don't think it works, you need some spaces in here.

There really is not much more I can say of this but the whole thing was incredibly well done. I am very impressed.
Good work. Good work.

Empress says...

Thanks so much for reading and reviewing! Yeah it's an odd image, intended to lend an almost surreal edge to the main character's slightly crazed posturing. And no the lack of spaces wasn't intentional, it did that when I posted it, thanks for pointing it out!

Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:06 am
Swarnima wrote a review...

hello!

Well I loved it! This is a novel topic to write a short story on. So I am really impressed by your choice of subject! The reference to cartoon of the newspaper clad man was a nice thought! You have beautifully conveyed the terror the man has of the truth. I think the first 3 lines were unnecessary and the story would have best started from the fourth line.

But a really great job! Keep writing! :)

Empress says...

Yeah I'm inclined to agree :) Such nice words, thanks :)
I love how everyone puts 'keep writing' at the end of reviews! :P

KandiNekol01d wrote a review...

Hullo!

The imagery and emotion of the narrator were great - I could almost place myself in his/her shoes. I can guess that this took place in London from the mention that one of the train stops is the London Bridge and that a depression or recession is occurring from the mention of the unemployment percentage being at an "all time low."Anyway, I didn't find any errors (either because there wasn't any errors, or I didn't notice any because I was enjoying the story too much to notice one). The vocabulary variation is good, and the only thing I would have changed is the constant use of referring to the man as the "fat man" simply because it might've been more interesting or useful to give him a name. I didn't quite catch what the ending meant though - I couldn't connect the cartoon to anything. Other than that, I really like this piece! Keep writing! =)

Empress says...

Wow thanks :) The significance of the ending was that the guy was unemployed basically and this soul-destroying realisation was slightly driving him insane. He's trying to run from the truth but this truth seems to be following him everywhere. At the end it confronts him. Simple but subtle is the intention :)
Great points, thanks :)

“A good book isn't written, it's rewritten.”
— Phyllis A. Whitney, Guide to Fiction Writing