16+

You're Going to Die Someday

by Em16

Did you know people can die?
I’m sure you think you do.
The thought is lingering somewhere
In the dustier parts of your mind.

But do you know what death
Really means? For you? For others?
We all know death is possible
But don’t think it can ever happen to us.

Death is an invention of authors and poets
Like fire breathing dragons and leprechauns
Safely imprisoned by the impenetrable glass
Of fantasy, Far removed from reality.

Death is something to think about later
When we’re older, when we’re wiser
When- the truth is, there’s no time
That’s ever right for thinking about death.

We go through life believing this moment
Is the moment that will last forever
The roses will always smell like this
Feel this soft against our childish hands.

We’ll forever be bathed in the light of now
The people and places around us
Like a permanent backdrop. We don’t know
Everyone’s face changes given enough time.

We don’t realize when the sun sets
It will rise again tomorrow, just as bright
And it will shine on a day
Completely different from the one before.

In case you haven’t already figured it out
You’re going to die someday. No one knows when.
But you can be sure there'll be a world
Without your smile, your laugh, your breathe.

But don’t cry; that’s what makes it beautiful.
We all get one life, to succeed and fail
To shine as brilliantly as we can
Before the lights go out. 

Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:05 am
Riverlight wrote a review...

This... is very touching and moving. "Soulful" is probably a better word for it. I really like the comparison of death to fantastic creatures in the third stanza-- for me, it makes it feel like death isn't real, to some degree.

Death really isn;t something that we think about enough, even for us writers that are constantly killing off characters. And when it comes, taking something away from us, we mourn, we go to the funeral, and we shove it aside and think about death very little and focus on how much we'll miss someone instead.

I really liked this poem, and I hope to see more like it the longer I stay here on YWS. Keep writing!

Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:51 am
queenoni wrote a review...

Hi there, just read your poem and found it super interesting. I don't usually read poems, but this one really caught my eye. It gives a super interesting perspective on life and how we should enjoy it and "shine brilliantly", as you said. One thing is that you forgot punctuation in a few areas but overall really great poem!

Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:10 am
blankspaceformythoughts wrote a review...

Wow, this was a really interesting way to write about death. It was also informative as well as a poem. You're absolutely correct when people don't really think about death. It's odd how people think and react when it happens. When in reality, everyone does indeed pass away someday. I really liked this piece as it was very unique and different from others. Not many pieces are written on this and even then I feel as though it's sadder. You're almost making it into a celebration of life reminding people that it happens to everyone and to live life brilliantly as you put it. Good job, it was really well written.

Goldenwizard wrote a review...

Hi/ Namaste
I'm currently a beginner in English poems and until I read this price of work, for me it was like poems can not be attractive without a rhyme.
But now I realized that the main part of the poem is its subject. On which it is based.
Death is really a different feeling to shape into writings but the meaning you have presented of death is itself a beauty.
Truly there is a whole complete world even without us and the aspect of our existence is to make a change, the change that could make that world different so that others could also know about our existence.
In the end that you have written is really good, we should do attain happiness for as long as we live and should feel all the feelings of life before the time ends.
I would really love to read your more such poetry.

Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:23 am
Fadzie wrote a review...

To shine as brilliantly as we can
Before the lights go out.

I like the above part 'but don't cry ; that's what makes it beautiful'. That part clearly shows how important it is to make the best out of our life as one will only have one life to do anything. And it encourages people out there to shine just before lights go out. That is a sweet message to give to people out there not to be afraid of death but to make the most out the life they have.

Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:32 am
JesseWrites wrote a review...

Hello there,

I'm going to go through stanzas and say things about some areas that I like, are meh about, and places I think it can improve a little or a lot. If it gets harsh in anyway, please tell me so that I know for future reviews.

But do you know what death
Really means? For you? For others?
We all know death is possible Comma, comma, comma needed.

Good point and it's most likely a true thing, but I spotted that missing comma and it made me feel some type of way. Still a pretty great line.

We don’t realize when the sun sets
And it will shine on a day

No punctuation at all until the last line, which would make that a very big run-on sentence and that looks a little lazy. A period could be used there, or even a comma to separate that, which might still be runny but a lot better.

Have a good day,
Haley.

Em16 says...

Thank you so much for the review! I appreciate the feedback.

Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:22 pm
thepages wrote a review...

Yo, hello, intriguing tittle you've got here.
Death, since the days of ancient civilization has been a mystery whose solution is known only to the creator. Many times i thnk of it, the thoughts are frightening, (considering what is to be found in the afterlife)
i like this, you could read through, i thnk u missed some stops"." in the verses.
...nice work!:-)

HONK
— The Golden Goose