z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Weekly Wonders {1} *New Weekly Series! Read End Note!* EDITED

by Em101cats


My Interest Is What You're Interested In

If you are interested in this, does it mean you are interested in interesting things or that you are interested in interest itself? Any smart person wouldn't be interested in something if they didn't like to be interested in things, so if you dislike interest or are disinterested by it, how will you ever be interested in something else? Or is it just that interesting things in themselves interest you, so you are interested in the "trend," or what everyone else thinks is interesting?

~

Illuminati confirmed? (Nah, but it's cool.)

The famous(ly annoying and stupid, sorry) meme.

9+10=21.

The factors of 9 are 3 and 3 because 3 times 3 is 9. The factors of 10, 2 and 5.

Multiply the factors. 2 times 3 results in 6, while 5 times 3 results in 15. Add those answers.

6 plus 15 equals, interestingly, 21.

~

Fairness = Equality?

A lot of people try to make things equal by giving everyone the same task so no task is harder than another. Is this, however, really the fairest way to do things? For example: to make things fair, all the animals must climb the same tree for the exam. The animals are a monkey, fish, and elephant. Is that really fair? The monkey spends its life climbing trees, while the fish can't leave its bowl to climb and the elephant would break the tree trying to climb it. It would take a very light elephant and an air-breathing fish to make the exam equal with the monkey. Of course, light elephants and air-breathing fish do not exist. What is the fair way, then? To give each their own exam to fit their needs? Or is that too unequal to be fair?

~

Dear Albert Einstein, Please Test This Theory

Eventually, if you keep finding the square root of a number, you might find the number you started with as a decimal with the same digits in different places.

~

Electric Lemon Bulbs and Blue Crabs Relate (Ssh, that title does make sense.)

Lemons can be used as light bulbs, and some crabs are a shade of blue called "electric blue." Wouldn't it make more sense if the electric blue crab had more electricity than the lemon (no pun intended)? If you count the kinetic energy and potential energy of the crab as electricity in a different form, it actually does. (Lemons make very dim light bulbs.)

~

Letter-Color Synaesthesia

 Many people imagine each letter of the alphabet to be matched with a color. Many believe A is yellow, B is red, so on. It is different for many people. This is called "letter-color synaesthesia." If you add a letter in a certain position of a word, next to a vowel, or some other change-provoking position, the color of that letter in a letter-color synaesthesiac's mind can dramatically change. For more information, visit this cool webpage:

http://otherthings.com/uw/syn/

~

Don't Worry, Schizophreniacs, I'm Not Lying

Schizophrenia is the disorder that causes people to see, hear, smell, taste, feel or believe untrue things. (Rest assured that this is not untrue, I promise.)

~

I am making "Weekly Wonders" my new weekly (hopefully) series to replace Oddball Objects, which I have lost faith in, sorry. "Weekly Wonders" is a short list of cool facts, experiments, investigations, thoughts, links and pictures to make you think, "Hmm...," or "I didn't know that," or "Hey, that's pretty cool and interesting." Hopefully that works. Heh. I'm not very interesting. I found facts from my mind, fact books and trustable websites.  I hope you enjoy!

MONDAY, MAY 11TH  EDIT:

AT FIRST, THIS SERIES MAY REMAIN IRREGULAR UNTIL A DAY IS ESTABLISHED FOR EACH PART TO BE POSTED. ALSO, THE PARTS MAY NOT BE POSTED ONE WEEK DUE TO A BUSY SCHEDULE (I HAVE REALLY BUSY WEEKS SOMETIMES). SORRY FOR THE CAPS LOCK, MY CAPS LOCK KEY IS STUCK SO WHY NOT?


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
324 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 324

Donate
Sun May 31, 2015 2:46 am
Evander wrote a review...



Hey, Em!

This piece is actually fairly difficult to review. While humorous, it also is confusing. Though, it seems like most of the humor comes from it being confusing. Which is perplexing in itself, but I won't focus on that.

I will focus on the fact that posting it literary works section might not have been the best choice. There's not really much to critique or say about this. It's also not something you would expect a review on. It seems like something like Squills (the official news bulletin for YWS) or the Weekly Writer (an official newsletter for YWS during a short period of time). This may be better in the forums, or a blog, or on a site like Tumblr or Wordpress.

To the question raised in "Fairness = Equality", I think there may be an answer. Perhaps, give the elephant and the fish tools to climb the tree. It is completely fair because they are being raised to the level of the monkey. The monkey isn't being brought down and it's still a task that would require work to do. Or, you could just give them each their own exam that's equal in the amount of effort it takes to do it.

The elephant would have to tear down [x amount] of trees with its tusks, perhaps a few trees with deep roots. The fish would have to swim [x amount] of feet or yards with some obstacles in the way, and the monkey would have to climb a tree that had branches put in places that made it slightly difficult to climb. The same amount of work for different exams. How well they did is based on what they do best.

Another thing, while this may bring up cool facts, there are no sources or citations except for one in the "Letter Color Synaesthesia" part of Weekly Wonders issue. Without sources, it makes it hard to trust what this says. (The "Dear Albert Einstein, Please Test This Theory" area might need an article with math-y stuffs linked, and "Fairness = Equality?" could have something else bringing up the argument.)

This was an fun read, though. It makes the readers think and brings up some really cool facts. Perhaps if better put together, and with an actual schedule it might actually take off! And many a new title may help. (This is the only post I've seen out, so it's definitively not weekly. :P )

Keep on typin'

~Adrian




User avatar


Points: 618
Reviews: 1

Donate
Thu May 21, 2015 7:15 pm
CookieEmpress says...



This seems like a really cool idea! Good luck~




Em101cats says...


Thanks!



User avatar
99 Reviews


Points: 78
Reviews: 99

Donate
Mon May 11, 2015 8:58 pm
Snoops wrote a review...



I really like this idea. I will defenitly follow so i can hear more, i would suggest Putting small tittles on the top of every fact or meme. But i love the rest, its interresting and fun. I hope you can keep finding facts, i think it would be hard. So good luck to you with that. :)

Can't wait to hear more and also you should add a day you will make them. So people can know. Like every monday or every saturday, just another suggestion. Anyway, good luck.




Em101cats says...


Thank you very much for the compliments and suggestions! They are highly appreciated! :)




"While we may come from different places and speak in different tongues, our hearts beat as one."
— Albus Dumbledore