z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

14 Years Ago

by rainforest


14 years ago, I was 2 months old.
Small, fragile and clueless.
Unknowing to the hate and dangers
throughout our entire world.

14 years ago, over 3,000 people died.
They were murdered.
All just because of one feeling,
and it was hate.

14 years ago, America was attacked.
Attacked by terrorists.
Yet this day in history,
we won't ever forget.

I know I am a day late with this, but I stress the importance that we commemorate this day solemnly 3,000 plus people that died on this tragic event. I know this poem may not be the best, but I think it's a damn good tribute.

Never Forget 9/11


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
472 Reviews


Points: 25
Reviews: 472

Donate
Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:09 pm
View Likes
Lightsong wrote a review...



Hey, I'm here to leave a review! :D

#NaRevWriMo #ReviewDay #GoTeamBigBang

First of all, I would like to suggest you to change the digits into words. They don't work well with all these words.

Anyway, like Fortis has said, this poem lacks diversity in terms of word structures. Hyphens, semicolons, ellipsis - these punctuation marks can help make your poem more alive. Italicising words that demand emphasize, giving a bit of indent before starting a new line are all the choices you can use for your own benefit.

Try to start with small things when it comes to big issues like this and expand them. A stanza of four lines can be quite small to contain a powerful message. For example:

14 years ago, I was 2 months old.
Small, fragile and clueless.
Unknowing to the hate and dangers
throughout our entire world.


If we take this stanza alone, we wouldn't know how does it tell us about the 9/11 event. Putting some subtle hints would do the trick.

Fourteen years ago, I was a couple months old -
small, fragile and clueless.
Unknowing to the deaths and miseries
stemmed from hatred and cruelty of this world.


See? Readers would start to question, "Oh my god, what happened fourteen years ago that he mentioned about deaths and miseries? I need to read more." They would want to know what happens next because while this stanza explains what might happened, it didn't tell them what had happened. There's a difference.

14 years ago, over 3,000 people died.


Three thousands sound so statistical and specific that it loses its general purpose. Using "thousands of innocent people" instead would invoke some kind empathy to those who died.

Anyway, keep up the good job! :D




User avatar
245 Reviews


Points: 192
Reviews: 245

Donate
Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:47 pm
View Likes
ChocolateCello says...



Okay minor thing- 'yet' is a contradicting/contrast word. Saying 'yet' implies that we wouldn't remember the terrorist attack. I get what you're trying to say 'it's been 14 years and we still remember it' but I feel like we aren't expected to forget it.




User avatar
12 Reviews


Points: 739
Reviews: 12

Donate
Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:58 pm
View Likes
TheDreamWriter wrote a review...



I like that you wrote a poem about something like this with also not being a little overboard. A lot of writers write about touchy subjects like these and dont know all the facts so they insult people because of it. I think you did an amazing job forming this poem and it clearly shows you knew enough about it. I feel just about the same as you and I am glad you wrote an amazing poem to remind people of this tragic day that needs to be remembered. I like your style and I hope to see more. I also like this peom because I know about some crazy things and horrible things that happened that day that was close to me. If that makes any sense? I really enjoyed this poem and hope to see more of your great work.




User avatar


Points: 267
Reviews: 0

Donate

User avatar
621 Reviews


Points: 4984
Reviews: 621

Donate
Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:04 am
View Likes
Rook wrote a review...



Hey ChickenBrothWater.

So I like what you're trying to do here. I think though, that it comes off a little wooden. You have some good ideas, but the execution is lack-luster. Poems don't exist to tell facts. Anyone could look up how long ago 9/11 was and how many people were killed.

The way you present this is stiff. The short sentences and the straight up statements of facts makes this so. I think if you loosen up a little bit, allow yourself to put some emotion into this, some poetic devices, it may help you achieve some sympathy from your readers. As it is, it reads like someone was giving a report on how many ears of corn were harvested this july. Use some voice, some emotion, some expression. Put a new angle on it.

Also your author's note is missing a period or something after "solemnly" and it's bothering me.

I applaud the effort though. You've got the ideas down, now just work on execution. ^^
Keep writing! I hope this helped. Let me know if you have any questions or if you just want my opinion.

~fortis




User avatar
141 Reviews


Points: 34531
Reviews: 141

Donate
Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:45 am
View Likes
Hattable says...



I was gonna say a thing, but I dunno how to word it, and eh...





Bananas
— looseleaf