Divine Intervention: Chapter Four

by Sujana

It was a dark and stormy night—

Actually, it wasn’t that stormy. Dark, certainly, but the two zombies were used to the darkness. Both were colorblind even before dying, and when they arose once more, their coffins weren’t exactly well illuminated. The two clawed their way out of their graves, utterly tarnished by dirt, slower than tortoises but relentless in their pursuit of (after)life.

They came out the same time the other did.

The woman—a homely forty year old in life, now a bag of skin and bones, with strips of red hair clinging onto her scalp and a torn white gown flowing under her knees—looked around her, her black, bloodshot eyes studying the scene. There wasn’t much to pick up. Unmarked graves, rotting bouquets of roses, gnarled trees in the distance. Your standard graveyard.

She looked to her right, noticing the hand snaking up from the ground, pushing up from dirt. A partly decomposed, black haired head poked out, the zombies head followed by his torso. Eventually his long, slender legs barged out, and he dusted off the dirt on his Sunday coat.

The two of them exchanged dumbfounded looks, both knowing less and more than the other might hope. The woman grunts and groans, almost in an attempt to communicate. The man shrugs, his rigid joints cracking from the movement. She grunts a little louder, and stops. A shadow had appeared between the two of them, floating above their heads.

They both looked up, mechanically, staring at the suit and tie above them. A man—no, too pale to be a man, but it was something—looked at the two of them, his eyes a glistening crimson and his teeth eerily sharp. “Do you two know your names?”

They both look at each other, as if the other had an answer. They shook their heads.

The humanoid sighed, taking a note on the book in his hands. “Charles? I found another couple.” He called out. Another hovering humanoid flew by from the distance, moments later, joining the first one. “Does. Like the others.”

“A John and a Jane,” Charles laughed, patting his partner in the back. “Good job, Mason. Sapphire will be pleased.”

Mason smirked incredulously, chuckling. “That bitch will never be pleased, and you know it.”

The two landed onto the ground, pulling out guns and daggers. They pushed the two zombies further and further north, out of the cemetery, into the gray countryside around them. Jane stuck an eye on the other character, a John Doe, brimming with intrigue.

‘Does’. That’s what the two humanoids called them both. Is he her brother? She doesn’t remember having a brother. Then again, she doesn’t remember breathing, either. She doesn’t remember walking anywhere or meeting anyone or living, in general. Perhaps it was the time, cutting her mind short. Or perhaps she was never alive to begin with.

She wondered, for a little while, if John felt the same.

The four finally stopped in front of a rickety, holed black house, lights of orange and yellow piercing the stained windows. “Go on, the two of you,” Mason continued, shoving a gun into Johns back. Did it really matter if the humanoid would shoot the two of them? He didn’t know. They were both already dead, after all. What would it matter if one of them got shot?

Oh, blasted thought. Stupid, worthless ideas. He felt the gun shove deeper into the slip of his spine, moving him further up the steps into the front porch. The Charles character pushed the door open, letting them all in. The corridors were long, unsymmetrical, pasted with red and black wallpaper. The house seemed to hum under them, with every step, singing its own little tune as they went by. It seemed to John it was singing Queen.

He tapped a beat in his step, from the floorboards to the staircase, mumbling the lyrics to Another One Bites the Dust. Charles and Mason didn’t seem to take notice of the zombies’ odd behavior, but the other zombie did. She chuckled. Snorted would be more accurate, but John felt that she was. It resembled a ballad for the angels, in his faulty ears.

They finally reached the top floor, coming into a room with a couch and a fireplace. There were decorations and paintings on the walls, some bookcases, but neither of them noticed much. They only saw what was needed, never the beauty in the details.

A woman sat on the couch, staring at the fireplace with an expression of utter boredom. Her eyes were red, too, though a much darker shade. Her hair flowed from scalp to shoulder blades, jet black and wavy. She wore a red gown that clutched to her skin, reaching to her knees. When she turned to the four of them, she slipped her mouth open slightly, displaying her fangs. Dipped in red. Tomato, maybe?

She pointed at the two zombies. “Ugly,” She said, to John, “Hideous,” She said, to Jane.

“Verily, Mistress.” Charles seconded, smiling. “Fresh from the graves. Nothing’s worse, but everything’s repairable. So long as you want them.”

“I wasn’t talking about the zombies.” She replied, returning to her longing, thoughtful stare into the fire. Charles looked a bit stricken, afterwards. “But now that you mention it, yes, I’d like the both of them. I’ve been looking for a pair of zombie servants, after the last two shot each others’ heads off while polishing my rifles. You’ve replaced the ones they damaged, didn’t you dears?”

“Yes, Ms. Sapphire.” The two humanoids said, in unison.

“Splendid.” She sat up, walking pass the four, out of the room. “I’ll be hunting for fresh meat tonight, darlings. Charles, you can come with me. Mason, you stay here and teach the servants their place. I want them to last a little bit more than a month. Is that understood?”

The two murmured their reply, but by that time the Mistress had disappeared down the stairs. Mason looked to Charles, his face firm and disappointed. “Why am I always the one left behind?” He asked, shoving his gun back inside his trousers.

“Because you’re the responsible one.” Charles smirked, turning heels to follow after the Mistress. “How do you like your dead prostitutes, fried or impaled?”

“Screw you, man.”

“Impaled. Got it.”

Charles laughs, leaving Mason to roll his eyes over the ceiling. He redirects his attention to John and Jane, who appeared rather lost at that point. “Right. Well, come with me now,” He said, going out the door. John looked to Jane. Jane looked to John. Something told them both, then, that they were going to see each other more often than they’d think.

Lauren2010 wrote a review...

Hey Sacred! Back again for more~

As always, I really dig the details you choose for your descriptions. Your language is always really specific and interesting which does a lot to make story unique. It's always a pleasure to read one of these chapters!

Unlike some of the other chapters, though, I found myself confused at a lot of moments here. I'm going to break this confusion down as a symptom of two different problems:

Overall Story Continuity
Alright, so we're only 4 chapters in so this is not a HUGE DEAL right now, but it's something I thought about while reading this chapter. It seems like we're working with a two-storyline novel, which is not uncommon. Odd chapters are Mr. Nelly and his story about his connection with God. Even chapters are something else that I'm not quite sure about yet. Are they one secondary storyline? Or a mixture of vignettes of things happening elsewhere? It doesn't appear to me, yet, that there's a connection between this chapter and chapter two (which, there very well could be! It's been a few weeks since I read chapter two, so I could be forgetting something though I did go back and skim through it for familiar names). I think an easy way to rectify this would be to give us just a little more to connect these two chapters into one storyline. OR to make it more clear that they are two different storylines, if that's what we're working with. Basically, I just want to feel THESE sections building on each other the way I feel Mr. Nelly's sections building, and I don't quite feel that right now.

A Host of Similar Characters
So, while your descriptions and details are often a huge success, I feel like here they let things get a little muddled. I had a hard time telling characters apart in this chapter. For example, at first I misunderstood the scene with the zombies emerging from their graves as two zombies PLUS another woman. This could just be me, but I wanted to note that it confused me for about half the chapter. THEN there's a host of other "humanoids" who are hard to tell apart from one another. What's something, even just one strong detail, that can help us differentiate one from the other?

I also had a lot of other questions, like what are the humanoids doing here? What do they want with the zombies? Who is this woman? Why are the humanoids serving her, and to what purpose? Does she regularly take zombie servants? What is the advantage to a zombie servant over anyone else? Do these guys make a habit of digging up zombies? Or did the zombies come about on their own and these humanoids just happened to find them?

Obviously, not all these questions can or should be answered NOW. But I felt a bit lost as to the purpose, similarly to what I mentioned earlier about not feeling this secondary plot build as well as Mr. Nelly's plot. I'm not sure what any of these characters want, or what their endgoal is. So while it's lovely and fun to read, it isn't satisfying my craving for story in quite the same way as Mr. Nelly's story does.

Otherwise, another great read! Watch your tenses, there was a bit of swapping from present to past in this chapter, but that was the only grammar issue I noticed. Now I'm off to read the next chapter!

--Lauren

Sujana says...

Heeeey there Laurie,

So there's a reason why I haven't come back to this project in a while, and it's that a) I've been busy and b) the notes on this monster has been my Frankenstein for a while. See, the story is meant to be a bit like Song of Ice and Fire, in which there are plenty of different characters that'll eventually lead to a single storyline. I won't tell how, but there'll be two factions--the Antagonists, those who detract Li from his goal (which'll come along eventually I think) and the Protagonists, those who help Li get to his goal. There are two factions that'll switch from these roles, the Demons and the Angels, but largely the Zombies are antagonists (for reasons you'll see if I ever finish this rip @ me). The humanoids that carry them away are the Vampires, who'll eventually meet the Monster Hunters, and basically now you understand how thick my notes must be.

Brigadier says...

Dear Ellstar,
The suggestion board suggested that I come and review again. That is unfortunately not possible because well I already reviewed it. I would try and write another but that isn't possible. Instead, here's another comment to compliment your story.
Great job!
Lizzy
Queen of the Book Clubs

I felt this one was most appropriate for the circumstances.

Brigadier wrote a review...

Hey there Ellstar. It's just lizzy dropping by once more, so without a further ado, let the reviewing begin.

I haven't done any title/description/presentation critiques in awhile. Congratulations user because I have chosen this review to do so.

Divine Intervention: Chapter Four

As I read on the title is making more and more sense. If someone was however trying to jump in they wouldn't have a clue. But even if they started from the beginning, it's the same confusion level.
And cue Lestrade but not really Lestrade this time. I just couldn't resist the rabbits.

Two zombies are inexplicitly introduced into the picture.

Finally I have reached the zombie point of view chapter. This will certainly be interesting.

It was a dark and stormy night—

Before I realized that this was going to stop I curse a bit I admit. I couldn't believe you would write something so cliche, well really I could believe but I was hoping you didn't. And then I got down to the next line and I was so happy that my psychic predictions had come true.

The two clawed their way out of their graves, utterly tarnished by dirt, slower than tortoises but relentless in their pursuit of (after)life.

The parenthesis around "after" serve a purpose but they still look funky. You might want to just use italics on after and then leave the rest of the sentence alone. Or the reverse but that might be worse.
1. The two clawed their way out of their graves, utterly tarnished by dirt, slower than tortoises but relentless in their pursuit of afterlife.

2. The two clawed their way out of their graves, utterly tarnished by dirt, slower than tortoises but relentless in their pursuit of (after)life.

If either of those two make any sense please tell me because I after I wrote it, they didn't seem to.

The woman—a homely forty year old in life, now a bag of skin and bones, with strips of red hair clinging onto her scalp and a torn white gown flowing under her knees—looked around her, her black, bloodshot eyes studying the scene.

Even though it's worthless to try and get you to listen and I've mostly given up on your sentences, I'm going to split this up anyways.

The woman was a homely forty year old in life but was now a simple bag of skin and bones. Strips of red clinging onto her scalp and a torn white gown flowing under her knees, she looked around her. The black, bloodshots eyes, once resting calmly in her undead skull, flashed as they studied the scene.

You'll note that I made some additions here and there in the descriptions. But I had to, to make the sentences flow right.

I have some thoughts and questions that don't go anywhere else so I'm putting them right in the middle.
1. Ms. Sapphire is the vampire you were talking about, right? Or is there another vampire coming up along with the vampire hunter?
2. So Charles and Mason are her henchmen? Hopefully they are vampires as well otherwise this would be awkward.
3. And she has undead house servants that managed to kill each other. That makes so much sense.
4. And I thought of this picture once reading about Sapphire.

The house seemed to hum under them, with every step, singing its own little tune as they went by. It seemed to John it was singing Queen.

He tapped a beat in his step, from the floorboards to the staircase, mumbling the lyrics to Another One Bites the Dust.

This is funny and sad at the same time. And I swear this is the last GIF, well Sherlock related GIF of this review. But we were just talking about it and it was just playing on Pandora so here's the last GIF.

You won't believe this but I finally found a grammar mistake.
...Mason continued, shoving a gun into Johns back.

You were missing an apostrophe but for some reason I'm happy.

The story is coming along great. This review is now my cue to write another chapter of Jim.

Well that's unfortunately all I have for this review. Sorry if I couldn't offer any more comments.
Have a nice day.
Lizzy
Queen of the Book Clubs

skelbees wrote a review...

Hello! I've just made an account and you are my favorite author that I've come across yet. I am interested in your story so far, though I do have a a few notes.

"The two of them exchanged dumbfounded looks,[...]The woman grunts and groans, almost in an attempt to communicate."

You've switched from past tense to present tense. This happens multiple times throughout the story. Try to keep it all uniform, i.e. "the woman grunted and groaned"

"A man—no, too pale to be a man, but it was something—looked at the two of them, his eyes a glistening crimson and his teeth eerily sharp."

I would suggest splitting this into two sentences. It would help to keep the sentence from running on.

"Mason didn’t seem to take notice of the zombies’ odd behavior"

Zombies' is plural. It should be zombie's.

"she slipped her mouth open slightly, displaying her fangs. Dipped in red. Tomato, maybe?"

This doesn't make sense. If her mouth were closed any blood would have washed off. I suggest either "displaying a threatening pair of fangs" or "displaying fangs, stained red"

I'm really excited to continue reading this story! Kale is a very interesting character so far. I should warn you against introducing too many characters too fast. Maybe try building on some existing characters first? Just a thought. :)

skelbees says...

Sorry, I don't know how to format reviews and to get the quote thing to work.

Sujana says...

I'm glad you're liking it so far! I'll probably post the next two when the Green Room drops to five or six. Which ones are your favorite characters so far?

skelbees says...

Mr. Nelly!! He's the most fascinating, and he talks intelligently without being pretentious. It's also so easy to fall into the "tall, dark, and handsome twenty-something white boy" protagonist trap, especially when you're a young author. I also really like the zombies.

Sujana says...

Well, he's Asian, and I guess you could say he's anything but handsome. You could call him cute, but I call him boring compared to the other characters. I'm surprised you like him so much.

skelbees says...

What can I say. I have a soft spot for ordinary characters in extraordinary situations. Also his name is Kale. I trust anyone named after a plant yo.

Sujana says...

OKAY THEN MY NAME IS BROCOLLI NICE TO MEET YOU.

The world is your oyster. Well, it’s my oyster, but you can have some of it.
— Feltrix