Nature poem type thing

by Drizzt

Does it work here?!?!? I don't really know.

In the air,
Between the trees,
You can feel
The cool morning breeze.

Up in the trees,
A bird if born.
Off the trail,
A wolf mourns.

Beams of sunlight
Through the fog,
Landing gently
On a log.

Along a trail,
Where nobody goes,
A little squirrel
Follows his nose.

I step upon the path
Between the trees, oh so tall,
And feel the warmth
Of early fall.

Nothing lasts too long,
Like forever,
So we must constantly look
For someplace better.

In the air,
Between the trees,
You can feel
The cool morning breeze.

ElizabethHuntley wrote a review...

His assistants all thought that he had gone mad. They heard him talking when there was no one there. They heard many words, but the most important one was Vivien. It was the name of the only woman that the great wizard Tobias had ever loved.
Poor Tobias, they would murmur. Her death, it was too much for him. He’s gone quite daft.
Of course they were all wrong. Tobias was not mad, or daft, and was only slightly eccentric. But he was old, older than he would have liked to be. He was still a very tall, stately man, with a hawkish nose, and iron gray hair, that had once been black. His eyes were an intense forest green, and he had thick bushy eyebrows.
One of his peculiarities was that everywhere he went, he carried a jar with him. This occurrence happened only shortly after Vivien’s tragic death, the death that should have never happened.
It was a tall, elegant jar, a dark, blue, glass, vessel. Anyone could see that it held water. Anyone would have supposed it held much, much more. They noticed his delicate care of the jar, the way ( if they were not mistaken) that he seemed to bestow loving glances on the jar, his harshest features softening. He guarded the jar as if it were more precious than a star’s voice, or a phoenix’s tear.
None of his assistants ever knew. They would never understand his abominable act of love.
One day, Tobias knew. He simply knew that he was going to die. He rushed into his room on the eve of his death, with the jar.
He closed the door. Sat the jar on the table and lifted the lid. It was her. It was Vivien. It was the woman to whom he had given a most pitiful immortality.
Her face wavered in the water, then became clearer. She was as beautiful now as on the day when she had died. Her face bore none of the usual signs of time.
Her hair, a dark honey color fell in waves about her face. Her eyes were a deep blue, and her lips, full and symmetrical. He never could kiss those lips.
This night would not be like the others.
‘’I’m dying. ‘’ rasped Tobias. ‘’ I’m dying, my beautiful Vivien.’’
The face of Vivien gave look of some concern, but seemed mostly relieved.
‘’ Take me with you. Spill my continents upon the floor until I am nothing on this earth. Do what I asked years before, instead of condemning me to this lifeless life.’’
The water rippled as she shook her honey curls.
‘’ No!’’ shouted Tobias, ‘’ You are beautiful. You are forever.’’
‘’ I am as old as you, though I don’t look it, and I am unnatural. This should have never been.’’
‘’ I resurrected you! I gave you life.’’
‘’ You gave me your own selfish heart,’’ said Vivien, her blue eyes glaring at him, out of the water. ‘’ You didn’t care about me. You wanted me for yourself. I didn’t realize the kind of person you were. Don’t deny it!’’
‘’ Vivien!’’ cried Tobias.
Already Vivien had begun to feel a strength that she had never felt before. The jar jiggled until it crashed on the floor below.
Tobias collapsed in absolute shook, a look of horror permanently fixed on his face.
When the cleaning crew came into the room, they simply wondered why Tobias, in his last moments, should be careless with the jar that he had kept safe all those years.His assistants all thought that he had gone mad. They heard him talking when there was no one there. They heard many words, but the most important one was Vivien. It was the name of the only woman that the great wizard Tobias had ever loved.
‘’ Vivien!’’ cried Tobias.
‘’ Vivien!’’ cried Tobias.
‘’ Vivien!’’ cried Tobias.
‘’ Vivien!’’ cried Tobias.
‘’ Vivien!’’ cried Tobias.
‘’ Vivien!’’ cried Tobias.
‘’ Vivien!’’ cried Tobias.
‘’ Vivien!’’ cried Tobias.
‘’ Vivien!’’ cried Tobias.
‘’ Vivien!’’ cried Tobias.
‘’ Vivien!’’ cried Tobias.
‘’ Vivien!’’ cried Tobias.
‘’ Vivien!’’ cried Tobias.
When the cleaning crew came into the room, they simply wondered why Tobias, in his last moments, should be careless with the jar that he had kept safe all those years.

‘’ Vivien!’’ cried Tobias.
‘’ Vivien!’’ cried Tobias.
‘’ Vivien!’’ cried Tobias.
‘’ Vivien!’’ cried Tobias.
‘’ Vivien!’’ cried Tobias.
‘’ Vivien!’’ cried Tobias.
‘’ Vivien!’’ cried Tobias.
‘’ Vivien!’’ cried Tobias.
‘’ Vivien!’’ cried Tobias.
‘’ Vivien!’’ cried Tobias.
‘’ Vivien!’’ cried Tobias.
‘’ Vivien!’’ cried Tobias.
‘’ Vivien!’’ cried Tobias.

Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:42 am
Boni_Bee wrote a review...

In the air,
Between the trees,
You can feel
The cool morning breeze.

Very nice

Up in the trees,
A bird if born.
Off the trail,
A wolf mourns.

I think you mean 'is born'. wow, quite a contrast between animals..first a bird, then a wolf! It woke me up..

Beams of sunlight
Through the fog,
Landing gently
On a log.

I like how it brings you back to earth, by having the 'log' in it.

Along a trail,
Where nobody goes,
A little squirrel
Follows his nose.

Cute!

I step upon the path
Between the trees, oh so tall,
And feel the warmth
Of early fall.

hmmm...the second line is sort of 'out', as there isn't any other lines like it (with a comma half way through), I don't know if I like it, but I guess its ok. Another thing, you go from saying 'cool morning breeze', to 'the warmth of fall'...

Nothing lasts too long,
Like forever,
So we must constantly look
For someplace better.

This was nice, but it got off track from the rest of the story line...I think it would go better at the end of the poem

In the air,
Between the trees,
You can feel
The cool morning breeze.

I like how this is repeated :D Good job!!!

Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:59 pm
Twinkling Starz wrote a review...

In the air,
Between the trees,
You can feel
The cool morning breeze. I love the first stanza, it's a good opening sentence.

Up in the trees,
A bird if born.
Off the trail,
A wolf mourns. Good imagery

Beams of sunlight
Through the fog,
Landing gently
On a log. I don't like the last line, the first three were beautiful and this just kinda ruined it. My opinion, though.

Along a trail,
Where nobody goes,
A little squirrel
Follows his nose. No comment for this one, It's not wonderful, and not bad either.

I step upon the path
Between the trees, oh so tall,
And feel the warmth
Of early fall. I feel 'tall' and 'fall' were forcly rhymed, like Ieatworms.

Nothing lasts too long,
Like forever,
So we must constantly look
For someplace better. This stanza is so beautiful, good one.

In the air,
Between the trees,
You can feel
The cool morning breeze. Good ending.

Overall, this poem is great. I really loved it. Good work!

;)

Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:21 am
Ieatworms wrote a review...

I like the simple outdoorsy feel of this. You did a good job of isolating the images that would make this a clear representation of your scene. That's hard to do with nature poems- there's so much to write about. So, Kudos.

A few rhymes seemed forced.
"I step upon the path
Between the trees, oh so tall,
And feel the warmth
Of early fall."

I think that is why the longer lines lag a bit.

Good work.

PS- Since this doesn't really tell a story so much as convey an idea, it's probably better suited to the dramatic poetry page.

Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:39 am
Kilty says...

I agree with Aisu Ookami about that, but other than that, I loved it. It creates a beautiful scene in my head.

Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:10 pm
aisu_ookami wrote a review...

Great poem! The only thing I would think about changing are two of the stanzas at the end:
I step upon the path
Between the trees, oh so tall,
And feel the warmth
Of early fall.

Nothing lasts too long,
Like forever,
So we must constantly look
For someplace better.

I like the idea behind them but they seem too long to fit in with the rest of the poem. The other stanzas were 'faster' (fewer sounds) and the transition to these two stanzas seemed rough to me.

Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:32 am
Chevy says...

Nice poem.

Nothing lasts too long,
Like forever,
So we must constantly look
For someplace better.

Undoubtingly sensational. Two thumbs up!

[as a roleplayer is feeling sad about torturing her characters] GrandWild: "You're a writer, dear. Embrace it."
— GrandWild