The Death Train

by Dreamer84

Authors Note: I don't usually write shorts but I did and finished. I am super proud of myself and therefore am sharing my triumph with you. Enjoy ::)

It loomed over the crowd, black as night with coal smoke puffing rhythmically into the clear blue sky. Off to the side I could hear someone shouting over the mulling crowd, “All Aboard!” Pushing against the endless throng of people I made my way closer to the train.

It looked bigger up close, suffocating me with its presence. Taking in a deep and steady breath I stepped up onto the metal beast, disappearing from view in the shadows of the doorway. One last time I heard the conductor’s call; though the sound seemed closer, I couldn’t identify the source against the thick fall smog.

Letting my gaze fall to the boardwalk, I felt the beast lurch before steadily moving forward along the tracks. Out of nowhere a soft voice sounded in my ear, “We’ve been waiting for you deary.” With a startled gasp I whipped my head around looking for the mysterious informant, but I could see nothing past the darkened staircase leading further into the heart of the train.

Looking back once more at the rushing ground, I started my accent into the darkness. The staircase broadened until the final step became flat and welcoming. The small space was lighter on one side, opening itself up into a passenger car. The car was empty besides the multiple rows of padded seats covered in worn green fabric. Each seat held a dull blue glow, but was otherwise dark and vacant.

Stepping slowly deeper into the car I could feel a change in my surroundings. The car lit up with the glow of candlelight bringing the space out of its bubble of darkness. The blue glow in each seat was replaced with the warm and welcoming chatter of passengers. “Ticket please.” Startled I turned in the direction of the sound. Without a second guess I concluded that it was the same voice I heard only moments ago at the base of the stairs.

The woman was petite, almost like a child, though her skin was wrinkled with age. She stared at me with warm brown eyes that made me want to melt with her every wish. “Ticket please.” She said again though slightly more forceful. Reaching into my jean pocket I brought out a slightly curved slip of paper whilst never taking my eyes off the small woman. Taking it from my outstretched hand she punched it. Handing it back she pointed me towards an empty seat in the back of the car.

Taking tentative steps down the isle I couldn’t help but look at all the people who now filled the once vacant seats. After the third row I noticed something strange about all the passengers though I couldn’t say exactly what. Finally reaching the empty seat I sat, almost immediately losing myself in my thoughts.

What’s wrong with all the passengers? More importantly, what is wrong with this train? Smoothing out the ticket stub, after it being crumpled in my hand, I checked over the information.

Name: Anna MacEnsure

Train: Z35O2

Departure Date: November 2, 1943

Departed: Chicago, Illinois

Destination: Bridgeport, Connecticut

Arrival Date: November 5, 1943

As far as I could tell all the information was correct, but I could not shake the strange feeling. Holding the ticket in my lap I tried to contemplate the one factor I was missing. With the earlier feeling of change coming over the car I caught a glimpse of my ticket changing right before my eyes. Now on the ticket held a single, neatly printed sentence:

Anna MacEnsure Welcome to the Death Train.

At that moment a dreadful realization dawned on me. The reason the passengers struck a nerve with me was because each one was dressed from a different era. The ticket woman looked both young and old because she was old but living in her prime.

Jumping from my seat I started for the doorway. Before I could even take two steps a blinding breeze stopped me in my tracks. The woman spoke, “You can never leave, The Death Train has your soul and it doesn’t like giving them back.”

Her words chilled me to the core; I am forever trapped with absolutely no way to escape. My soul belonged to The Death Train like the countless others before me. No one has ever escaped and no one ever will. The train will forever ride its rails collecting more souls for the journey. It will never stop or ever slow, it will only ride on stealing the lives of unwilling passengers as it goes.

Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:15 pm
HolographicLadybug wrote a review...

Hi! I, Holographic Ladybug, am here, bringing you a short review!

I like your story. It's chilling and suspenseful and cool.
It had a sort of rhythm to it that was continuous and pleasant.

There are a couple bits that could use some management, though:

'Looking back once more at the rushing ground, I started my accent into the darkness.'
You used 'accent' here (as in "Julie has a Dutch accent"). You probably meant 'ascent' (going upwards).

'Anna MacEnsure Welcome to the Death Train.'
Maybe there should be a comma after 'Anna MacEnsure'.

I hope I have proved useful.
Great story, by the way.

-Holographic Ladybug

Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:26 am
felistia wrote a review...

This is a very haunting story, dark and full of mystery and suspense. The start of the story was captivating and set the stage perfectly. The story was consistent and had no boring parts in it. I can feel what the character was feeling and I could vision what the train looked like. It is a great piece of writing and I can find no fault in it.

Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:31 pm
kitcat84 says...

I love the way you set the stage especially with

It loomed over the crowd, black as night with coal smoke puffing rhythmically into the clear blue sky.
it is very eerie and you can tell that something is off, even with the clear sky. Your use of the "metal beast" also accents the train as a living thing rather than just something which transports people. This foreshadows very well that something is very off with the train. However, the only line that doesn't seem to fit the rest of the story is
The reason the passengers struck a nerve with me was because each one was dressed from a different era.
Instead of simply stating this out openly you can describe their dress. The rest of your writing is very descriptive and this is awkwardly blatant and doesn't quite fit. To make it fit better you can say, for example, "As I started studying the crowd, I realized the different attire, a flapper, a hippie, a medieval knight. Every single person was dressed in a different era" Not necessarily that line, but something which introduces this idea.

Other than that one line, I thoroughly enjoyed your story, and the title is especially captivating.

Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:19 pm
Bando100 wrote a review...

The dark themes in this story really set the setting for the rest of the story like when it says,

. That almost foreshadows the my story of the story. There are some things you need to work on though. Your dialogue needs some work.
you can never leave, the Death Train has your soul and it doesn't like giving them back.
This dialogue is very basic and needs do be livened up with more un generic words and i think that will complete the mystery/ horror of the person talking.
But good job, keep writing.

RagingLive wrote a review...

Hello, Dreamer84! RagingLive here to review your short story!

First of all, I am a religious follower of just about anything mystery/suspense. I read and write a lot of crime, but I do have experience in horror as well. This short seemed to touch on all of the before mentioned and I found it very appealing to someone of my seemingly despicable taste. (In the eyes of my oldest sister, but love novels will kill you in a totally different way, I think!)

Shorts are meant to be short of course, but they also need to grab your attention and maintain it while trying to build a storyline and characters in a short amount of time. I wasn't exactly endeared to Anna, however, and therefore I felt as though you lacked connection with the main character.
Details were used, which I thought was splendid. But here again, I feel as though with your imagination, you could have built even stronger imagery in this storyline.

The blue glow in each seat was replaced with the warm and welcoming chatter of passengers.

I thought at first that this just meant she could only hear the passengers, not actually see them. This got confusing later when Anna began walking along and looking at them.

Bolded phrase aren't normally used in professional writing, but since this is a short, I don't think it's a huge problem. You could consider changing the bolded areas to italics if you wanted to.

I think that this is very good short, and I want to encourage you to add some more to it! Add some imagery, maybe even expand it a little further. Who exactly is Anna? Where is she from? Chicago? Or Connecticut? Why does the Death Train want her? What are the story's of others aboard?
If you don't want to expand it, that's fine, but I myself am interested in the potential that this could have. You could have a smashing hit on this, it's a great storyline!

Keep writing and keep on smiling!! :D
~RagingLive

So this probably doesn't matter because it's a Death Train rather than a regular train, but generally they take your ticket before you get on the train (to make sure you've actually got one).

Also, I'm slightly confused as to why the destination is "Bridgeport, Connecticut" when presumably Anna is just dead now. At least...I mean, that's what's happening, right? It's a cool concept, but I want to make sure I'm on board with what's going on. Has Anna died and, although she doesn't know it, is getting on this specific train because she's dead but she hasn't realized it yet? Or did she get on this train to go to Bridgeport, Connecticut, but by some weird, horrible twist of fate she's ended up on the Death Train? Based on the fact that the passengers have clothing from all different eras, it seems like the first, but then based on the sinister words of the ticket-taker, it seems more like the second...

On that note, this bit:

After the third row I noticed something strange about all the passengers though I couldn’t say exactly what.

I know you don't want us to know what's strange about the other passengers yet, because you don't want us to figure out the mystery before the end. But in that case, you might want to word this differently. Because saying that Anna "noticed something strange" makes it sound like she's already pinpointed what it is and just isn't telling us (even though a moment later she says that she "couldn't say exactly what"). But if you said something more like, "Something seemed strange about the other passengers," that sounds more like she hasn't figured out what the "something" is yet, even though she knows there's something wrong with these people.

Oh, so back to the ticket for a moment and the destination. Just an idea, but what if there was no destination listed on the ticket? Ordinarily there would be, of course, with a normal train, but since this train never lets you off, there really isn't a destination, right? So Anna could notice that when she's looking at her ticket, maybe. Obviously it's your story and you don't have to do that, it's just an idea I had while looking back over the story.

Feel free to PM me with any questions!

BlueAfrica

Questio wrote a review...

Hello! Questio here to review! What I like to do is review as I read, so it really is more of a commentary. Every paragraph of my review matches up to a paragraph in the story. You'll get it. OK here goes!

This is very nice imagery. The dialogue seemed like it was a bit forced though. Honestly changing the comma before the dialogue into something like a colon could fix it. But it is fine as is, and doesn't need revision.

Again, very nice imagery. I like me some imagery, and you present it nicely. Good job.

The same issue with dialogue here. The way you say what it is that is saying it followed by a comma and then dialogue is kinda weird. At least, I've never seen it. You could just put a period after "sounded in my ear" and it would be completely OK. Commas generally follow after you say "he said" or whatever. Also, what kind of train has a staircase?

Like I said, I've been on only one train before but it was a level affair, it didn't have a staircase. Not saying it's bad, I could just use some clarification.

The last line here seems weird. That is all.

Here you'd have your dialogue ended with a comma, not a period. "'Ticket please,' she said again, though slightly more forceful..." Note the addition of a comma after "again." You can omit "whilst" here. It messes with the flow. Just separate "paper" and "never" with a comma.

Comma after "passengers" might help with the flow and the mood.

The MC's thoughts should be italicized.
The next bit is all the bold text: OMG! November 2 is my birthday! 55 years later, but still!

Nothing really to change here. Although you could add a bit more as to the "strange feeling." Why is it strange? Good strange or bad strange? Is it like, this is weird but I like it or Han Solo "I've got a bad feeling about this"?

The end of this is kinda out of nowhere. You might say that the MC caught a glance of her to inspire that thought or something. But it isn't bad as is.

Oooooh, scary.

How does the MC draw this conclusion?

Overall, great little read. It could use more, as it is it mostly just tells us what the MC is feeling. I want to know why, I want there to be more interaction between the MC and the rest of the train, I want to be shown what is going on, not just told. It is a cool idea but it is mostly just that: an idea with a teeny-tiny story wrapped around it. Add more, give it dialogue and depth, put me in the MC's shoes and make me care about her.
You had wonderful imagery, use that. It is a very cool idea, just could use some refinement. The flow was good, and there were really no bits that I had to read over again.
Keep up the good work! Message me or post on my wall any questions, comments, concerns, or curiosities!
~Q

Stories don't end because you stopped paying attention.
— SJ Whitby