Sonnet 1

by DragonNoir

It is a fruit, which is beared by a tree,

A tree of true desire;

A desire for change and love.

It is a wind, which dances playfully,

A wind of felicity and warmth,

A universal warmth to fight the cold.

It is a funeral, which reduces to tears,

Tears of bitter regrets and vivid memories,

Memories to cherish for years to come.

It is a book, which opens new perspectives,

Perspectives in colour or in monochrome,

Monochromic reality which destroys all dreams.

What particular subject is this poem on?

It is Music, of course; the world’s universal swan

Author's Note: Hi guys! I hope you liked my first sonnet on here! I plan on making a small anthology of them, because why not! I'm really curious what you guys think so please review! Once more, I hope you liked my sonnet!

Halfbloodcheetah wrote a review...

Hello there! HBC here for a review!

First, Thank you for the notes at the bottom. Helps me understand the meaning of the poem! This poem really shows how much you like music. And this poem is beautifully written! It expresses that music makes one feel a range of emotions.

Also the grammar in this is great!

Have a wonderful day, and keep on writing!

Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:23 pm

Heard you were planning on writing a sonnet, this is great!

DragonNoir says...

Thank you! :)

Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:42 am
Panikos wrote a review...

Hi, Dragon. I thought I'd have a shot at reviewing a bit of your poetry. It's not my usual haunt, but I've had a bit of experience writing sonnets so I thought I could be of help.

It's a sweet little subject for a poem. I like the fact that the language is very ambiguous, because poems should be hazy around the edges and open to interpretation. Most of your lines are somewhere around the ten syllable mark, which is correct form for a sonnet. I also like that it feels fresh and simple - you don't use fancy words just for the sake of using them.

However, there's lots to work on. I am slightly confused that you've called this a sonnet, because it lacks many of the defining features of one. It's got fourteen lines and has the right aesthetic appearance, but it doesn't follow any kind of rhyme scheme aside from the couplet at the end. There are also rhythm problems. I'm not going to get into iambic pentameter in this review, but there are lumpy bits in certain lines that I can address. I'll talk about rhythm in more detail later.

Rhyme, however, is my biggest confusion here. If you're going for a Shakespearean sonnet, the rhyme scheme should be ABAB CDCD EFEF GG. I'll paste a (very well known!) example here to make it clearer:

Shall I compare thee to a summer's day? (A)
Thou art more lovely and more temperate:(B)
Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May, (A)
And summer's lease hath all too short a date: (B)
Sometime too hot the eye of heaven shines, (C)
And often is his gold complexion dimm'd; (D)
And every fair from fair sometime declines, (C)
By chance, or nature's changing course, untrimm'd; (D)
But thy eternal summer shall not fade (E)
Nor lose possession of that fair thou ow'st; (F)
Nor shall Death brag thou wander'st in his shade, (E)
When in eternal lines to time thou grow'st; (F)
So long as men can breathe or eyes can see,(G)
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee. (G)

There are lots of different types of sonnets with varying rhyme schemes - too many to paste here. It's up to you which type you choose to follow, but it should have a scheme. I know rhyming poetry is a massive headache to write, but it's a bit of a cop-out to avoid it in a sonnet.

Now, with that done, I'll look at the poem bit by bit. Here we go:

A tree of true desire;

The first line has ten syllables. The second line has seven. Sonnets should generally have ten syllables per line, and an uneven amount upsets the rhythm and makes it difficult to read. See if you can play about with 'a tree of true desire' until the line has ten syllables. Read it aloud, again and again and again, to ensure that the lines have a consistent rhythm.

Also: 'beared' isn't an existing word. It should be 'borne' - 'It is a fruit, which is borne by a tree'.

It is a wind, which dances playfully,

I think the issue with this line is that the final syllable is unstressed. When you say 'playfully', the stress lands in the manner of PLAY-ful-ly. The last syllable - 'ly' - is unstressed, which makes it feel tenuous and strange on the tongue. You can probably get away with it in some circumstances, but it sounds odd here. Alter the line so that the final syllable is stressed.

I'm glad that this last couplet rhymes, but the rhymes do have to fit with the meaning as well. I'm not really sure how music can be likened to a 'universal swan' - it just seems a bit random and ham-fisted. It feels like it's only there in order to complete the rhyme.

I also agree with PrincessInk that you shouldn't give away what the poem is about in the last couplet. Show vs Tell applies to poetry too! We should be able to glean some idea of what the poem is about without having to be told - and besides, part of the joy of poetry is its ambiguity, and the fact that it can be interpreted so differently by different people. Don't feel the need to impress your meaning on the reader. It can be private.

I think you've got enough to be going on with now, so I'll call the review here. In summary, you should:

1) Toy with the rhythm so that each line has a similar number of syllables - ideally ten. When you read the poem out, you should settle into a rhythm that remains undisturbed and constant for the whole poem.

2) Make it rhyme! The strict rhyme scheme is a huge part of what makes a sonnet a sonnet.

3) When writing rhymes, ensure that the words fit with the piece and serve a purpose beyond making it rhyme.

Hope this helped! If you've any questions or want me to expand on anything, just ask. The world of sonnets is a large and cavernous place.

Keep writing! :D
~Pan

DragonNoir says...

Thank you for your feedback! I didn't use a rhyming scheme or any rhythm since I'm only started writing sonnets and I wanted to start with something moderately easy. I will implement those features in the future when I gain more experience. Apart from that, thank you once more for your feedback. :)

PrincessInk wrote a review...

Hello, DragonNoir.

So I'm enjoying the way you're exploring the different aspects of music, starting from desire to warmth to sadness to memories to new colors. This gives me a rather abstract feel when I read this. After all, to think about it, this is hugely based on metaphors.

A quibble I have is that you're kind of giving away what the poem is about in the end. This could be just me, but I prefer to sit down with a poem and slowly come to interpret it--perhaps differently from what the poet actually wrote it for. One more quibble in the last couplet is that the "world's universal swan" seems to be forcefully placed here--it was jarring and I'd suggest creating a buildup to it.

So I've noticed that in each "part" of the poem, some of the lines begin with the word that ended the previous line. While I like the style and consistency of this, I feel as if the repetition leads to a clunky jump from line to line. Maybe it would help to figure out to let the lines flow well together.

I'm also feeling as though I can't quite sense a thread joining the imagery together. They feel rather disjointed, unable to form a cohesive whole and I'd like to see something that connects them together--though it'd be great to also showcase their differences.

Overall, this is a great first sonnet--and I like the topic too ;) So hope my review helped, and let me know if you have any questions!

DragonNoir says...

Thanks for your feedback! I'll make sure I improve my future sonnets based on this advice. Once more, thank you for your feedback and I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

The best books... are those that tell you what you know already.
— George Orwell, 1984