The Alien in the Trash Can

by Dracula

“Nancy approached the trash can.” Beety said dramatically. He used two fingers to represent Nancy and moved them towards the nearest kindergartener.

“That’s boring!” The little girl whined and kicked Beety’s fingers away with her foot.

The storyteller sighed and replied, “Well it’s going to be boring if you interrupt me. Anyway, Nancy approached the trash can. It was shaking like a wet dog and making loud clanging noises like you hear in a kitchen.” The children laughed at this.

“Was it possessed by a ghost?” Tommy, the wannabe ghost-hunter, asked.

Beety shook his head. “No! When Nancy reached the trash can, she opened the lid and-” He paused for effect and watched the little ones squirm with anticipation. “And she saw an alien!” Everyone, including Beety, held their hands to their mouths and gasped.

A chorus of questions began. “How did an alien get in a trash can?” “Was he green and slimy?” “Did he eat Nancy?” “Was the alien possessed by a ghost?” “Did he come from space?”

Beety held up his hand and the kindergarteners turned silent. “I shall now answer all your questions, if you’ll allow me to finish.” They nodded and Beety continued, “The alien shook Nancy’s hand and seemed pleased to meet her. He told Nancy that the trash can was actually a spaceship.”

“How can a bin be a spaceship?” The whiny girl asked.

“It’s not actually a trash can, it’s just disguised as one. Anyway, his ship had crashed in Nancy’s backyard. The alien was indeed green, but soft instead of slimy. He didn’t eat Nancy and was actually quite kind, he also explained that he was scared of ghosts.” Tommy erupted in giggles and Beety went on, “The alien had come from a planet in space, where he had been ordered to go to earth and bring back a poppy seed.”

All the children erupted in laughter at that moment, and one boy held up his bread roll which was sprinkled with little black poppy seeds.

“Yes!” Beety pointed to the roll. “That’s exactly what the alien needed. Nancy told the alien that she could easily run into the pantry and get some poppy seeds. So she did, but when she came back, the poor green alien was being chased around by her cat!” Beety stood up and started chasing the little kids, much to their delight.

“The alien ran around the backyard in circles, until he got too tired and had to stop.” Beety let the children reach him, then stopped running and sat back down. “The cat caught up to him and started licking the alien!”

At once all the kindergarteners began licking Beety and he had to wrestle the little daleks to make them stop.

“When the cat went inside, Nancy handed the poppy seeds to the alien. Then he went into the trash can, which was its spaceship, and pulled out a big red button. The alien said thank you, pressed the button and then disappeared.”

“Into thin air?” Tommy asked.

“Yes.” Beety nodded and explained, “You see, the big red button was actually an emergency teleporter, so the alien just pressed it and got teleported back home.”

“But why didn’t he just do that in the first place?” The whiny girl folded her arms, obviously not believing the story.

“I told you before.” Beety pointed to the boy with the bread roll. “He needed a poppy seed!”

Morrigan wrote a review...

Hello, Dracula.

Here is my honest opinion. It's filled with good intentions.

I think that your style is very nice. It's readable, and it allowed me to just be in the story.

That being said, I don't know why I read this story.

It goes somewhere, I suppose, but there are more questions than there are answers. This story is about a story being told to children, yes, but why didn't you just give us the story without the kindergartners? It would have allowed you to fill out the story more instead of the alien looking for a poppy seed. It doesn't give any context as to why the alien needs the poppy seed, and I feel like this is vital to the story. If you don't provide conflict, there is no story, and really, there is no story because the alien gets what he wants right away and leaves. The questions of the children are hardly conflict, as they get their answer right away. In order to truly make this a short story, it needs a plot. And that means adding conflict. More conflict than Beety trying to tell a story to kindergartners.

Also, I feel that some of the language that Beety used was too advanced for kindergartners to understand. Keep that in mind in the revisions.

Altogether, the style was nice, but you need a plot. I hope you found this useful. Happy YWSing.

Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:47 am
ccwritingrainbow wrote a review...

This story was very entertaining. I enjoyed the little laugh. I just thought that sometimes Beety spoke too maturely when it came to telling a story to little kids. I'll explain where I thought that happened when I present to you some errors that you can fix:

"Nancy approached the trash can," Beety said dramatically.

"That's boring!" the little girl whined and...

"I shall now answer all your questions if you'll allow me to finish." They nodded, and Beety continued. "The alien shook Nancy's hand..." This was the part I thought sounded too mature. When I say that, I mean people don't really say "shall" anymore in modern times unless this is a story that took place in Victorian England or something among those lines.

"How can a bin be a spaceship?" the whiny girl asked.

"It's not actually a trash can. It's just disguised as one."

"...quite kind. He also explained that he was scared of ghosts." Tommy erupted in giggles, and Beety went on. "The alien had come..."

...bread roll, which was sprinkled with little, black poppy seeds.

"...in circles until he got too tired and had to stop." Beety let the children reach him; then stopped running and sat back down.

At once, all the kindergarteners began licking Beety, and he had to wrestle the little daleks to make them stop.

"Then, he went into the trash can..."

"...The alien said, "Thank you," pressed the button, and then, disappeared."

Dracula says...

Thank you for the review! :D

Hattable says...

This is for the FOT, isn't it? If so I'm glad that I'm not writing against you! :P I still don't have a story idea and whatever I come up with, I'm sure it will be nothing compared to this.

Dracula says...

Thanks! :)

Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:25 am
Mea says...

Those little Daleks. :)

Dracula says...

I know right. :p

kevin25a says...

I liked that line too. Huge dr who fan here.

Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:38 am
beans says...

Haha. That was cute. I really liked it.

Dracula says...

Thanks!!

Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:53 am
donizback says...

You are just awesome!

Dracula says...

Thank you :D

I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do.
— Leonardo da Vinci