Elite Defender #1

by Dracula

High score!

I type my name for the seventh time and it gets added to the leader board, which contains only my name. Yep, I’m coming in first, second, third, fourth, right up to seventh place. That’s how the old games work. Before wifi and multiplayer, when you played by yourself and the programmers still thought it would be worthwhile to have a leader board.

Play again?

I press enter, and the screen turns black as the primitive game reloads. This is how I spend my weekend mornings, between eating breakfast and doing whatever my room-mates have planned for the day. There’s something about playing Bomb Defence that appeals to me. Maybe it’s because I spent hours on it in my childhood, when games like this were cool. Maybe it’s because my extra-extrovert room-mates know to leave me alone when I’m playing. Whatever my reason is, I always play, and my goal is always to beat my high-score.

Wave one incoming…

A city made of pixels forms at the bottom of my screen, and just above it is my view finder. Any second now some rainbow squares will begin falling from the cyberspace heavens, and it’s my job to aim and fire. If I hit a bomb, it explodes into lots of smaller rainbow pixels and fireworks rain onto the city. If I miss, the intact bomb will hit and explode, destroying buildings and thousands of lives. Obviously, that’s not what I want.

I hit the arrow keys with no mercy, as if real human lives depended on my destroying these digital bombs. Those arrow keys have been replaced three times and I don’t plan on being gentle any time soon. Enter. Left, left, left, right. Enter. Right, right, right, right. Enter. Left. Enter.

Wave one complete.

The cheers of my grateful citizens sound from the speakers, but I don’t join in their celebrations; there’s more coming. The game has thirty waves, and I’ve only ever gotten as far as twenty-six. There is no time to relax, I have a city to defend.

. . .

Wave twenty incoming…

I position my fingers on the arrow keys, my other hand clenched over the enter key. Twenty is always twice as hard as the previous wave. This is where the programmers expect you to fail, but never me.

A green pixels enters my sight, followed by a blue. Left, left, left. Enter. Right, right. Enter. The screen is silent for a little while, my heart thumps up and down as I wait for the inevitable cluster of pixel TNT.

Greetings, player.

Huh? I press the exit button, thinking the tutorial has come up. Nothing happens. I’ve never seen this message before, I’m not even sure it’s part of the game. Enter. Enter. Enter. The screen is frozen on those yellow words, a red pixel hovering at the top of the screen.

You have been chosen as Elite Defender.

I raise my eyebrow as the greeting fades away and is replaced with a new message. Elite Defender, maybe this is a secret level that I’ve only just discovered. I’ve heard of games having secret levels, but I didn’t think Bomb Defence would, it’s so old.

Game resumes in 6:59:59. Good luck, Elite Defender.

The hell?

Game resumes in 6:59:53. Good luck, Elite Defender.

A countdown of seven hours? Why the heck would the programmers expect you to wait seven hours for the next level? That’s bad business, everyone would get bored and exit the game. It must be a bug, a virus even. So that’s what I do, I place my hand on the mouse and click on the X. Nothing happens.

Game resumes in 6:58:45. Good luck, Elite Defender.

I try turning my computer off, this is a virus for sure. Some idiot thought it would be fun to prey on the people who still play classic games. I bet once the countdown is over my PC will be there’s for the taking. I press the on button right in, my face turns red and I poke at it viciously. My computer stays on and the countdown continues.

Game resumes in 6:55:21. Good luck, Elite Defender.

I throw my chair backwards and stand up. My roommate looks at me curiously from the dining table, but doesn’t say anything. They wouldn’t dare speak to me while I’m playing, and definitely not when I’m ready to smash the monitor screen in. I lean behind the screen to the power point and switch it off.

Game resumes in 6:54:48. Good luck, Elite Defender.

Damn it, someone else can deal with this insane hacker. I pull the cord out of the socket and disassemble the computer. “Help me get this in the car,” I snap at my bewildered roommate.

. . .

Game resumes in 5:21:36. Good luck, Elite Defender.

“Oh man, this is so cool!” The tech guy stares at the screen, a ridiculous grin on this face. “Dude, do you know what this means?” He turns to me, eager for an answer, like there’s an explanation brewing inside him that’s going to burst out any second. I shake my head. “You’ve been chosen!”

“As Elite Defender, yeah, I know.”

“You’ve never heard of The Elitist Company? Man, it’s run by this really talented programmer. He gets paid by all these rich people, the sort who pay millions for good entertainment. I can’t believe you haven’t heard of this before!” He stands up and goes to a cupboard. “They’re real bombs man, real bombs. They won’t kill anyone, but they do a lot of damage to the city. Like in the game, yeah know? Oh man…”

He places a box in front of me, and I shrug. What’s this guy’s deal? I’ve got no bloody idea what he’s saying, and he seems to sense that.

“The game is real! If you let a bomb hit the city in the game, then a bomb will hit this city! This is the entertainment that people pay for, and you’re the performer! Heck man, this is gonna be so much fun. I’ve read about Elite Defenders, but I’ve never actually experienced this.”

He opens the box, inside is a keyboard, a proper gaming keyboard. I would’ve bought one ages ago if I could afford it.

“Use this when you play, it’s way more responsive than yours. Oh man, this is gonna be so cool!”

Game resumes in 4:53:18. Good luck, Elite Defender.

“Dude, the game is real.”

As the seconds tick down on the computer screen, my brain clicks and I finally understand what is happening. Crap. How the hell can this guy be so excited about bombs being dropped in our city? My fists clench, my veins bulge from my neck, why the heck did I get chosen for this?

I’m not going to play this game. “I’m calling the police.”

“Woah, woah.” The techie holds out his hands in a calming gesture, his face not as excited as before. “Cool it, man. Hardly anything real bad happens, jobs are even made in the cleaning up process. This thing is good, it provides jobs.” Is this guy for real? “But last time the police got involved… let’s just say the cop was a terrible gamer.”

My mobile phone is out, my fingers hitting the small numbers. Zero… zero… “Wait, what do you mean by that?”

He finishes hooking the new keyboard up to my computer, the countdown still going, and scratches his forehead. “The programmer got pissed when the police kept going after him. He hacked one of the PCs at the station, installed Bomb Defence and had a cop become Elite Defender. That guy was terrible at it; bombs dropped all over the city. Small bombs, but they haven’t bothered him since.”

“Right.” My finger hits zero one more time and I hover my thumb over the call button. “I think I’d remember that.”

“You will. They hushed it up real good, but whenever the media mentioned it, they said that some gang had detonated car bombs all over the place.”

I put the phone back in my pant pocket. I remember that.

Game resumes in 4:13:55. Good luck, Elite Defender.

tigeraye wrote a review...

Good times.

A countdown of seven hours? Why the heck would the programmers expect you to wait seven hours for the next level? That’s bad business, everyone would get bored and exit the game.

lol

This was really hilarious to me. The concept is interesting, the inner-dialogue is fantastically charismatic, and there's not much else to say. Besides nitpicking some grammatical errors like "room-mates" instead of "roommates", there's not much I can give you to improve further upon this. I am confused about how the tech guy would appear on the screen after the main character disassembled the computer. I also notice you didn't give the main character a name, maybe you did it intentionally or maybe you just forgot. Anyway, good job on this story, I look forward to the next part.

Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:39 am
Apricity wrote a review...

Heyo Dracula, Flite here. Let's jump straight into it.

I like the idea of your story, you don't have many grammartical or spelling mistakes and there is definitely potential in this. However one of the main problem I have with this is how you've displayed your idea and the plausibility of those events happening. The first half of your story transitions quite well from a normal game to the Elite Defender, however after that things went a little messy. My main problem is with the tech guy here and the system. How well known is this so called Elitist Company, are they known only in the tech world or does the real world know about them too? If such a company was established, I don't imagine how they will escape the public eye unless it's an illegal system. I'm not a gamer but I'm sure that gaming has a board of ethics too, and if this guy is designed to cause real harm, it would cause a stir. How does The Eilist chose their member, do they just point to a random guy and say, ok, here you go, you're chosen? Can they make anyone their subject? How do they make sure that their subject actually comply? If your MC refuses to play their game, what can they do? Even if they do have a very talented programmer, keep in mind that the government will no doubt have counterattacks. If such a serious incident happened, the police will unleash a full investigation and blaming it on gang members won't be so easy. I think you need to explain a few things about The Elistist. And the tech guy's manner just strikes me as unprofessional, even if he is very enthusiastic about it, the way he talks seems like a close friend rather than an assistance. The MC's reaction to what the tech guy also striked me as slightly unrealistic, he obviously didn't want to play this game so why isn't he trying to find a way out of it? Why does he believe the tech guy that easily? I think these are questions you need to address and expand, there is a lot of action in your story right now. It's very fast-paced and I think you need to slow down and let events unfurl.

If you've got any questions, please feel free to PM me.

-Flite

Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:21 am
willachilles wrote a review...

ERMAGERD.

Hey, Will here for a review of- ERMAGERD HALP. MY BRAIN IS FREAKING OUT.

I love it. I love it so much. This chapter is so 'my thing' y'know? I love classic games, and I love stories like this. My heart is literally pumping as fast as...as...*sips water*...an umbrella unfolds! Is that a bad analogy? Well, I don't care. YOUR STORY IS AMAZING.

The Good

You already know what's good - your story. I love the first section when everything is being introduced to the reader. You describe the game so well.

This paragraph doh.

But you know what's even better than that? Guess what it is. Come on, guess.

AAAARRRRGGGHHHHH SO DRAMATIC.

The Not So Bad, Bad

I could really only find one mistake. It's about the countdowns.

This is the start of the 7 hour countdown. Then come these:

You see the problem? What I felt kinda wrong was the fact that in the span of one paragraph, 3 minutes pass. That's not too bad, though. There's this one as well:

Nearly 30 minutes pass in the time of a few lines of dialog. Yeah...I think you're starting to get a feel for what I'm trying to say.

How can you fix it?

Well, that's the tricky bit. It's hard to really fix it, because you kind of need that bit in your story.
*****

After hours of thinking, Will came up with a solution for Dracula.
*****

What you could do is make the computer countdown time wrong. So you could maybe say something like...

What? That's not right. I checked the clock. I swear it hasn't been 3 minutes already.

And then later you can do this:

What the- 30 minutes have passed already? I check my clock. No, that's definitely wrong. The clock on the game is counting down faster than real life. I have to be prepared.

I know, I know, it's kind of stupid. But hey, after hours of thinking, it's all I got.

Sowee.

But in the end...YOU AND YOUR STORY ARE AMAZING FKASDFAJSKDFHAJSDL

Hope you liked my review...:D

-willachilles

You own everything that happened to you. Tell your stories. If people wanted you to write warmly about them, they should have behaved better.
— Anne Lamott