z

Young Writers Society



The Raven Heir - Part 3

by ExOmelas


A/N: Okay, new thing I'm trying for glossing. This is my favourite way of reading this kind of thing, but if it becomes infuriating to not be able to copy/paste let me know and I'll see what I can do. (This is an image I've uploaded). Also apologise for the staggering. This actually happened in a copy of The Wallace I was reading the other day. I have no idea if there's any reason for that.

------------------------


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1228 Reviews


Points: 144000
Reviews: 1228

Donate
Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:32 pm
alliyah wrote a review...



Hey Biscuits! Here as promised.... Oooh! I like the new addition! This formatting for me was super smooth to read.

I thought the flow and rhyming seemed natural throughout. One little phrasing/line I didn't care for as much was "if not for you I'd drown in woe" -- for me that just seemed liked a bit too much. But I liked the rest of the dialogue. The scene's a bit tense as they go back and forth deciding what needs to be done and discussing the danger of the task.

I was a bit confused about the phrasing of these two lines as well: "An ken ye how the land's our soul / Connects our life and makes us whole?" -- is how supposed to be "know?" I'm just losing the meaning of what's being asked in the first half.

As far as the second to last stanza, I wasn't sure if you were referring to a metaphorical raven or like the person was actually going to turn into a battle raven -- I'll be curious to see how all that shakes out.

I really liked the part about silence being the perfect partner to the gloom! And I like the note of pure confidence in that last stanza too.

Nice work again!

~alliyah




ExOmelas says...


Yeah that's probably fair about woe being too dramatic.

The translation into like, normal everyday speech would probably be
"And you know how the land is our soul", does that make sense.

She does actually turn into a raven, but I couldn't think of any way to introduce this that wouldn't be so sudden.

Thanks for the review! :D



alliyah says...


Ah that makes sense! And you're welcome. :)



User avatar
1220 Reviews


Points: 72525
Reviews: 1220

Donate
Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:22 pm
Kale wrote a review...



I AM BACK FOR ROUND THREE YESSSSSSS!

First things first, I think the images is the way to go because it is smoother to read if you just want to read through, but you get the handiness of annotations right there to the side, and I am pleased by this. It's just like reading it in a proper book. ;P

I see the maid has returned (yes!) to be a downer (nay!) because she cares (whoo!) and is that subtext of a particular variety I spy? :o I mean, it's obvious here that they're friends, but I'm getting the impression from how bold Sinead is that they're really friends, which, if it is the case, will be interesting to see how it plays into the later parts. Though if it's a purely platonic relationship, that's also cool, and I'm behind those two's friendship all the way.

The flow of this was nice and smooth for the most part, though if I might make a suggestion, including a pronunciation guide for the names (now that you've got the snazzy sidebar of annotations thing going on) and some of the vocabulary would help keep the flow flowing as I did have to take a guess at some of the pronunciations (een in particular) which threw off the rhythm of those lines until I figured out a possible (and possibly incorrect) way of saying them which didn't mess with the flow.

I still have no idea how Sinead is actually said though.




ExOmelas says...


Oh crap I forgot about that. Sinead = shi-NAID. (that's shi like in ship). Will add a guide :)



Kale says...


:3




As if you were on fire from within. The moon lives in the lining of your skin.
— Pablo Neruda