My Last Sunrise

by Doubt

This is a story I've started writing in relation to my poetry series http://www.mylastsunrise.tk which really outlines, I think, the story and accentuates the series.

So, here it is:

Prelude:

I inspected my wings. The left one, which I tore flying to tonight’s abode, was healing slowly. It didn’t bleed of course; I’d stopped bleeding at all since my morbid transformation.

“Curses to all of you,” I screamed in an eerie shrill and punched the ground in rage, “Curses to you and your beloveds!”

I sat there and breathed heavily through cracked lips before I suddenly notice a sharp light on the ground. It was the remains of a mirror. A mirror left and disregarded by the previous tenants. I picked up the tiny fragment and observed parts of my face and body slowly using the broken glass, passing down from my long, dark hair onto my green-red eyes. My pupils were small and sharp. I still wasn’t used to my physical self yet and spent much time staring into the dark depths of my seemingly lifeless pupils almost admiring them. Using the broken glass I continued to observe my face. Down my cold, grey nose and onto my blue, cracked lips. I gave the makeshift mirror a devilish smile and shuddered in fear at the fangs I’d acquired recently. Doc didn’t say it would be easy I thought as I threw the glass from my hand against the wall with certain finesse. Night three and still no Doc. I wondered if I was some sadistic experiment of that beast. Did he convert me to understand himself? Has he left me here to die, alone?

Many human attributes had left me recently but paranoia wasn’t one of them.

I placed myself down on the concrete of the abandoned room. I could now see pictures on the walls. Pictures of a family. Pictures of a man, a woman and a child… they seemed so happy. Why had they left and why has such a place now become a resting place for a beast? The thoughts were melancholy, depressing and even angering me. I decided to jump off that train of thought.

The grey of the concrete floor blended perfectly with my skin. The floor was warm against my lifeless skin, a testimony to my loss.

I closed my eyes but didn’t sleep. I hadn’t slept since I was human and if the Doc was telling the truth then that was the last time I ever would…

Chapter 1:

I sat in the car on the way home from another tedious day of schooling. Rubbing my temples with my lead-stained hands I let out a faint groan. I was getting sick of this.

It seemed I did the same thing everyday with the uncommon exception of something mildly and temporarily amusing. I couldn’t help but get angry at the general stupidity of the students at my school and especially in my class. There is this one girl, May, whose brain has obviously been tampered with. Some say it was the fumes her mother inhaled from paint when May was in her womb. I couldn’t stand her no matter what was wrong with her. Her constant bliss was something I just couldn’t understand.

My constant outbursts of verbal rage towards her probably didn’t help in any way, I doubt she even really listened to me, no one ever did.

I looked to my right, where my mother sat driving the car. She was mouthing something to me. I pulled the earphones out of my ears apathetically and listened to what she had to say.

“Had a good day?” I was experience with this question and tried my best to push aside my feelings for the moment.

“Yeah, fine” I replied and place the earphones back into my ears. I honestly couldn’t stand my family. They have that kind of in-your-face attitude that can really aggravate you if you over-analyse the things they say, which I regularly tend to do.

As we arrived at home, it was still on my mind. She was on my mind. She was special to me and she knew this. It was her weapon of choice for her countless and relentless barrages of insults and comments that somehow hit home. I was a very affectionate person, that was, until countless failed relationships dulled my sense and indeed my want for like, love and relationships. She never hesitated to use this to her advantage either.

I didn’t know why I was so attracted to her I the first place. After all she did, you’d think I’d quit her. But she had a certain something that kept me coming back for more. She had died black hair and a modest figure with slight imperfections I couldn’t help but love. Her mood was all over the place but nevertheless I wanted nothing more than to share all her downs, ups and hormonal catastrophes or whatever she decided to be. I longed to hold her and to be part of her life. If only she felt the same.

I’d be content if it ended there, if she was just a dream. Unfortunately it wasn’t that merciful. She was a nightmare, a harpy, a witch and a temptress that, in a quest to find herself, didn’t much care who she trod on. With me, she was just showing off however. I would muster the courage to speak to her and be turned away in an instant in what could only be compared to the pierce of a poison-tipped blade driven through the vital organs, twisted then removed.

---

That's it for now. If you want a fuller understanding on the story, I suggest visiting the site and reading the poetry.

Thanks. Comments appreciated.

Hi! I'm Knight Hardy here on a mission to ensure that all works on YWS has at least two reviews. You will probably never see this but....Imma do this anyway.

First Impression: Well I can say that the first part is definitely feeling like a completely different story now but I guess that part comes in later in the story and this is only meant to be the beginning. As to the prelude I think it was really well done and it does its job of grabbing readers admirably well. The first chapter was also really well done. It established a conflict almost immediately there and that's nice to see in the first chapter. Anyways onto some nitpicky things.

That's a pretty interesting place to be starting things off. Definitely catches a reader's attention quite well.

That does not sound like someone who is having a good time that's for sure.

I think glint would be a much better word to use right there. It fits a bit better. Also a pretty clever use of the mirror cliche to give a really good description.

Well that is certainly quite the prelude. Its really nicely done with just enough hints as to what might be going on without delving into too much detail. And it definitely is very good at hooking readers with its promise of this mysterious Doc figure.

I would feel sympathetic about his [predicament if it wasn't for the fact that he did actually scream at that girl.

I think that is meant to be something along the lines of had or else the sentence does not make much sense.

First of all that should be in.

And second that's actually a pretty good depiction of that sort of emotion. We can definitely get a sense of how this person must be feeling about all of this.

There are several issues with this last comparison here. First of all pierce doesn't really fit in there. You want to go with a word along the lines of blade and then the vital organs part is oddly specific here. Using something like the chest or the stomach would be much better because you don't need that level of detail for an arrow. Its going to hurt no matter where it hits.

Overall: So this one was a pretty nice piece that you've got here. It's certainly a very interesting start, I can already a sense of our main character's personality and that's always a good thing to see at the start of a novel. And not much to add here. I actually I hope I run into more chapters of this as I continue to prowl among these ancient works.

Ohio Impromptu wrote a review...

You know what I think. :wink:

I liked that last bit, the one I hadn't seen yet. Once again, same reasons as the rest of it.

I'll get my publisher on the phone. :wink:

EDIT: You made a mistake!

I didn’t know why I was so attracted to her I the first place.

IN the first place, not I. You're so stupid! Haha.

"My spelling is wobbly. It's good spelling, but it wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places."
— A.A. Milne