How The World Turns

by DistortedInsanity

These days it really seems,

That we forget about our dreams,

It appears political parties reign,

Over the workings of our brain,

.

Because all we do is yell,

And all we do is scream,

Sounds fill the places we dwell,

Homes where we should dream.

.

But no matter what we do, 

No matter how untrue,

The world will spin on it's axis of stars,

While we continue to mark it with scars,

It will continue to function,

For it will take all it can until it is fiction.

.

We will destroy it in our state of hate,

It will turn until is fiction.

We will keep piling on weight,

It will continue to function.

We will laugh and we will cry,

It will spin in a way akin to a madman.

We will live and we will die,

It will keep functioning until it no longer can.

Machupicchu14 wrote a review...

I finished reading your poem and thought I would take the time to write a small review on it. First of all, just to say that I really liked the poem and as I can see it, its very well written. Using rhyme in your poem was a very effective technique as it made the poem more enjoyable to read. What the poem is about is a very serious topic and thus makes the poem thought provoking and it inspires us to change that reality mentioned in the poem which if we continue like that, well eventually reach. I also thought the rhythm of the poem reflected the world spinning on its axis, of history repeating itself. Then the images used at the start of the poem are very beautiful. I don't think you would need to change it as your poem is perfect as it is now, as it conveys your own style and voice in poetry.
Well done!!

Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:20 pm
IvoryRose says...

Wonderful poem!! Very deep and I can relate it with my own personal values.

Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:27 am
DarshayataDeka wrote a review...

Hi! Welcome to YWS!! Thought I'd drop in for a quick review.

First of all, your poem is very well-written and is able to show the reader the reckless nature of the modern generation in the true and original way without any added glorification of nature or denunciation of the developments of this age. You were able to express your true emotions in this poem, which, I think, is a quality of a good poet. Repetition of the word "spin" increases the impact of the poem on the reader's mind. The poem, as a whole, was thought provoking and powerful. It was well-punctuated and I didn't notice any grammatical errors either. However, I
would recommend starting a new stanza after each line in which the part about the earth continuing to spin is mentioned. Moving on, I was a bit confused on reading this line:
"For it will take all it can until it is fiction."
I wanted to know if "it" refers to the entire human race collectively and whether the word "fiction" is a metaphor to the time when the world will no longer exist due to our recklessness. Also, the fifteenth line should have been something like this: "We will destroy it in our state of hate." Here, again, the word "hate" can be misinterpreted. Towards whom is our hatred- towards our fellow beings for their recklessness or towards the earth for slowly deteriorating and not being able to provide us with sufficient resources. I recommend replacing it with "haste", because it will refer to our greed for wealth, in the process of which our values are lost.

Anyways, the poem you wrote is lovely and is bursting with life and emotions. You are an awesome poet. Keep up the good work!

My meaning for the "it" in "For it will take all it can until it is fiction" is referencing both the earth itself - which is slowly being drained of it's natural resources - and humanity collectively. The "fiction" is very much a metaphor for a time when our world will no longer exist. It also references how humans are in a kind of desperate scramble to find a way to survive past earth's destruction, and if humanity would continue to live away from earth then it would exist in nothing except literature, pictures, and word-of-mouth. At that point, it could almost be considered fiction by someone who had never experienced living on our planet.
For "We will destroy in our state of hate" (which was actually supposed to be "we will destroy it in our state of hate" - thank you for catching that) the meaning "hate" is meant to be up to the interpreter, though I meant it in a sense of the constant fighting because of all the hatred and passion - both politically and physically - and how it distracts us from what really matters. It also reflects in a way the loss of goodness in the richer communities, because in some ways hate could be considered an opposing force to goodness.

Anyhow~ Thank you for the detailed review, I hope this cleared anything confusing up.

Oh. Now I understood the meaning well. Thanks for the clarification. Its an awesome poem you wrote!

Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:12 am
AvaFaye wrote a review...

Hey there, I really like your poem. It is very thought provoking. I like the format of your poem. What was your inspiration? Just the general craziness happening in the world right now? I've always liked that thought. No matter how crappy life is getting it's still going to go one with or with out you so might as well make the most of it.

My inspiration was me watching Donald Trump on the news and then seeing the reactions on social media.
I had a complete moment where I was like, "People really need to realize the world doesn't revolve around them and other things are going on whether they like it or not."
But yes, you pretty much summed up my thoughts with, "No matter how crappy life is getting it's still going to go one with or with out you so might as well make the most of it."

The inner machinations of my mind are an enigma.
— Patrick Star