Pretzel Bites pt. 1

by Dest

Pretzel Bites

Her shoulders slumped in frustration. How could she have gotten him for her harvest festival partner? The whole process had to be rigged!

The pink glitter from her audition costume sparkled brightly across her translucent wings. Like the other kids auditioning for the festival dance, she had on the orange uniform and dark brown ballet slippers.

Arii bit her lip, trying to compose herself.

She was standing in the waiting area of the Winsley auditorium after the harvest festival coordinators issued the groups. From the stage, the coordinators had rattled off a list of groups in twos, girl and girl, boy and boy, and girl and boy. Arii had gotten long-everything Damelo. Long black hair. Long nose like a carrot. Long legs that she would surely get tripped up with.

Ugh! Ugh! Ugh!

In the waiting area, along with a set of purple plastic chairs that hurt her bottom and were covered with other fairy costumes’ glitter, she could see the twins, Desha and Nesha. The two younger girls were holding hands and twirling around. They were the most cheerful eight-year-olds she knew.

Arii glided over to them. Most of the area was empty, as the other kids had already received their partners. The twins and she were the last ones put into groups.

“Hi, Desha and Nesha,” Arii said, voice slightly above a whisper.

“Hey, Arii,” they said in unison, smiling.

“How’d it go? Who are y’all’s partners?”

The twins looked at each other knowingly before squealing, “We are!”

That’s not fair, Arii thought, feeling a pang of jealousy.

She hung her head and pulled at her tutu for a moment, obstructing her crestfallen expression from the twins.

Lifting her head quickly, she shook her head when they asked who her partner was.

“Damelo …” she mumbled.

The little girls sat down, sharing a purple seat. Their round eyes lit up. If they wanted some grand story, they weren’t going to get one. It was a cruel fate for Arii, but she couldn’t bring herself to tell the coordinators how terribly their decision weighed on her. She just couldn’t get her voice to become loud enough. She felt like her vocal cords tangled up when it came time to speak up for herself. For one reason, she knew everyone would think she was weird for not wanting him for a partner.

“That’s awesome! He’s—” Desha, the more outgoing twin, began.

Arii cut Desha off. “Not what I wanted.”

They sported identical looks of confusion.

“Well, why not? He’s the only one tall enough for you. You’re like a giraffe, you know. ‘Cuz your neck and legs are all long except your eyes.”

“You mean her eyelashes, Desha? Yeah, her eyes look bald just like her head.” Nesha agreed, nodding her head.

Arii patted her shaved head. Little kids couldn’t tell the difference between a low cut and an actual lack of hair.

Still, she didn’t correct them. Her mind kept drifting back to Damelo. She didn’t like confrontation, but she was going to have to tell him the truth. That realization suddenly created a film of sweat over her hands.

Desha and Nesha rolled their eyes. Arii was four years older, but they were acting more maturely than her.

A breeze of vanilla drifted through the air. Someone had opened the door to the waiting area, allowing the scent to infiltrate every corner of the room. Arii waved goodbye to the twins, her mind already somewhere else. The Damelo confrontation could wait.

Arii’s stomached growled before she glided to the end of the people. Outside, there was a short line of dancers and whoever else waiting for vanilla pretzels. Why couldn’t tutu’s have pockets? She had a little pocket change in her regular clothes. She would go back inside the Winsley auditorium, change, and get back in line.

“Oof!”

She landed on her but. What had hit her? Wincing, she looked up.

“My bad, Arii! I just finished a pretzel.”

She gulped.

Damelo pulled her up and offered a napkin.

“Hi Damelo,” she said softly. Her stomach twisted, and she wondered if she would still be able to eat a pretzel.

“Arii, you know, I’m really glad we’re partners.” There was a nervous twitch at his sugared lips. He placed a long strand of black hair behind his ear, appearing shy. As if.

She wrung her hands. He wasn’t going to make this easy.

“Um … Damelo, that’s great,” she began. “But this isn’t going to work out. Be… besides, you deserve a better partner. So we—"

He beckoned her closer, gesturing to his ear. Damelo placed his hands into to his baggy black pants. Obviously, he had time to go to the lockers and change. He had almost giddily run out before her when they got the partner verdict.

“Huh, Arii? I can’t even hear you. Your voice is so soft I feel like I’m never hearing you at 100%”

The unexpected spotlight on her mousy voice swung a kick to her confidence. People often thought she talked in whispers but that was just her normal voice octave. She had to yell to be at “normal” level.

“Sorry. I was just saying—”

“Don’t be sorry! I think your voice is cool. It’s like vocally-pleasing and stuff.” His eyes lit up, sparkles circling around the pupil. “You could be on the radio or narrate books or…”

She touched his hand gently. This is how he always got. He would ramble to avoid the point. But she wouldn’t let him. Arii reeled him back to the original conversation.

“Damelo, I don’t think I should be your partner,” Arii said with added volume.

A strand of black hair moved its way to the middle of Damelo’s forehead. The wind danced around him but taunted her, sending debris her way. For whatever reason, she swatted at the air.

He smirked.

“The coordinators think so. You’re not saying they’re wrong, are you?”

She hung her head.

“Yes, I am.”

Damelo didn’t respond to her. Instead, he pushed his way—no, he was escorted to the front of the line. The boys and girls happily moved back for Damelo. Honestly, he was such a likable guy. Too likable.

“Damelo?” she squeaked, thinking his name had been lost in the breeze.

“You want a vanilla pretzel or vanilla pretzel bites?” He called to her before giving her a chance to answer. Damelo turned to the worker with questions. “Ah, so the pretzel is better? It’s more dough for your money? ‘Kay. It’s extra for the chocolate drizzle? Nah, I don’t mind.”

Arii sighed dutifully. She sprinted to his spot at the front of the food truck.

“You don’t have to buy me anything. I have my own—”

“—I got you a regular pretzel since the pretzel bites in a cup don’t give you as much.” He moved from the counter and leaned against the display board of pretzels; pictures of pretzels with toppings, hotdogs in pretzel, and pretzel bites decorated a steel display rack.

“Damelo.”

“Arii, I don’t mind. I know you have money, but you have to understand you can’t control anyone else. So, I can buy you whatever I want.”

An arm shot out to the right of Damelo’s head, startling Arii for a moment. Damelo’s eyes twinkled at her sudden fright. He’s so childish.

Damelo grabbed the steamy vanilla pretzel clad in a pink tissue from the worker’s hand and exchanged some colored money for it.

“Right. You’re free to buy whatever and for whoever you want, but I don’t have to accept it,” she said, mumbling some parts.

His face fell.

Sighing, she grabbed the pretzel, unfortunately, re-igniting his cheerful mood. She took rabbit bites of the sweet treat. Eating wasn’t a top concern right now. Damelo getting the big picture was.

“Damelo, please can we talk?”

“Sure Arii—”

“And can you please listen?”

He blinked. Finally, he moved away the strand of hair settled in the middle. She could detect some nervous energy. His pretzel bribe hadn’t work.

Arii pointed to the green bench. The Winsley Park was conveniently outside the auditorium. Perfect for a ride on the swings after a theatre or dance performance.

A group of kids squealed wildly in an intense game of tag. Some still had on the dance uniform. Desha and Nesha were present in the roughhousing bunch as well.

Arii blew out some air, turning her gaze away from the kids. She wrapped the rest of her pretzel into the pink tissue. She would reheat it at a later time when she could enjoy it.

“Damelo—”

“I told my parents.”

“Huh?”

“I told my parents we’re partners. That they chose us,” he told her in a quiet voice, ashamed from being pleased. His lips quivered trying to form a smile.

She placed her face into her hands.

“Stop,” she muttered out. Arii lifted her head, determined and jittery. If she only looked at him momentarily, she could do this.

Before he could get a barrage of words in, she continued. “Stop. Stop being pushy. Stop trying to… win me over? I don’t know. You’ve been overly nice for the last couple of weeks even before the decision.”

Damelo opened his mouth, but she held up a hand.

“I know nice people are out there. Heck, you’re one of them. But we’re not even friends. You… you don’t even know me. I know you because you’re Damelo. Everyone at the dance studio knows who you are. You are an all-around freestyle dancer. Ballet, hip-hop, jazz, classical, etc.”

Why was she shaking now? Was the truth rattling her bones?

“Why… why do you need me as a partner? I’m going to weigh you down. Tricia or Yuki or Jamie are advanced dancers. One of them should’ve been your partner.” Arii frowned. “How was I even in the running? I… I’m not even an intermediate dancer.”

Damelo’s dark black eyes darted quickly. Usually, his raccoon eyes were cool to her. Heavy bags from nights of dance training. That was admirable; not healthy but admirable. A physical sacrifice for trying to force more time in the day for his love.

Arii danced too but in a different way. A less laser-focused way. She just danced when she heard music or commercials with jingles or to circulate the blood in her body after sitting too long. She liked dance, but Damelo loved it.

He needed a partner that could thrash and fight the air at a rhythmic pace like he could. One that could cultivate a passion already there, a body that could mirror his long strides. An equally elongated kick or fierce krump or tango as sensual as preteens could get.

“Damelo, tell them. For your sake, help me challenge the decision. Say that I’m holding you back,” her voice was soft, but he needed to feel the fire burning behind it. Arii was serious about this.

“Arii, I can’t.” He hunched his back over his knees. The part in his hair separated into two, sleek black curtains, covering his face.

“Why?” she squeaked. Arii patted his hand.

Abruptly his head shot up akin to a jump scare in a horror movie. She held back a cry. She should’ve known something was wrong. He hadn’t laughed at how easily she scared.

“Be…because it took everything for me to bribe them. I begged them to let us be partners.” He gave a weak smile.

Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:16 am

Hi Shikora here with a review for your great story.

What I like

I really liked how you started this story. It was very interesting. I really like the name you picked, it just drew me in right away. I also like how the title of this story found away into this story. It was really good so keep up the good work.

Development of the characters

I'm glad I got to know more about Arii and Damelo as i read though this story. That is very important when it comes to writing a story.

The plot

I'm glad I got to know what the plot was right in the beginning. It have the story more of and argent feel to it. And the way you wrote the story and kept the plot moving was really good. It kept us interested.

Setting

I really like how you kept on reminding us with the surrounding when Arii and Damelo were talking or even doing things. That is something I struggle with when writing my story so you managing to do that is really good.

What I think you could add a bit more of

There is just one thing that I do think your story could do a bit more of. It is description. I know you have described a few thing in the story already but I just feel like it could do with a little more. Like Arii you've described her really well but Damelo not so much. You haven't really given the reader a good image on how he looks.

That's all I can really pick up in this story. I hope what I said helped. Keep up the good work and never stop writing. I hope you have a good day/night.

Your friend
Shikora

Dest says...

Hello Shikora,
Thanks so much for the review! I realize the description really is lacking, so I will definitely add more of that. ^^

Okay! If you want, when you fix it you can let me no and I'll come read it again.

Panikos wrote a review...

Hiya, Dest! Just dropping in for a quick review.

There was something really charming about this piece. I'm going to touch quite a lot of criticisms later in the review, but I want to make it abundantly clear from the off that I really enjoyed reading this. It held my interest throughout and kept defying my predictions, and there's a nice, low-key subtlety to the conflict that's ever so refreshing. I see so much sci-fi and fantasy on YWS and don't get me wrong, I love it, but it's great to see a softer, more real story every once in a while. There's nothing to hide behind in them. No chosen ones or world-scale conflicts.

The strongest aspect of the piece is how you handle the mystery of why Arii doesn't want to be partnered with Damelo. My first assumption was that he just wasn't a nice guy, or at the very least not somebody she liked, but that changed when he was actually introduced. Then I started to wonder if she had a crush on him and felt to awkward to work with him, but you challenged that again with her asking him to stop trying to win her over. When you finally revealed that the whole matter was about her not feeling skilled enough to be her partner, it was quite a surprise to me. But it does make sense that she'd feel incredibly apprehensive about something like that, even if it's quite minor in the grand scheme of things. It's a nice, simple and endearingly human conflict.

One thing I would suggest is to maybe...tone down Arii's comments a little. When she says all this stuff about 'weighing him down' and 'holding him back', it comes across as a little melodramatic. It stopped it feeling as real as it should've. I still think she should be worried about dragging his performance down, but in a more awkward, embarrassed kind of way. And I thinks she should be anxious for her own sake, too. It's got to be daunting to dance with someone so much better than she is - it's only going to put a spotlight on all her shortcomings, and there might be the risk of her being given harder material to keep up with Damelo. Giving her a smattering of selfish worry alongside the legitimate concern that she'd limit Damelo would feel more real, in my opinion. At the moment, she's almost too selfless and noble - it's slightly irritating. But I guess it does depend on what kind of person she is.

Now we're in the territory of critiques, I'll list a few of the areas I think you could improve in.

1) The twins felt slightly stereotypical. For starters, they're called Desha and Nesha, and how often do parents really name their children so similarly? Of all the twins I've met in my life, none have had almost twinned names to match; they've just been named like regular siblings. There's also the fact that they speak in unison, and while that is a thing that happens, it does sort of portray them as a unit rather than separate characters. I didn't sense much differentiation in their personalities, so that's something to work on, perhaps.

2) You're a bit choppy with your paragraphs. Usually, I have to prod people for writing overly long paragraphs, but I think yours are actually too short. You tend to cut to a new one before it's actually necessary, like at the beginning, for example:

Her shoulders slumped in frustration.

How could she have gotten him for her harvest festival partner? The whole process had to be rigged!

Here, there's no strong change of subject between the two lines. Arii slumping her shoulders is directly linked to the fact that she's got 'him' as a harvest festival partner, so the sentences belong in the same paragraph. You make this kind of error quite frequently throughout the piece, so comb through it in editing and try to fix the rest yourself. Ask yourself if you're really changing the subject, location or time when you start a new line. If you're not, odds are that new line isn't necessary.

3) Just be careful that you're not too expository in your dialogue. Most of the time, the speech of your characters is very naturalistic and I enjoy it, but there are moments where the realism wavers. This was one of them:

“I know they’re nice people out there. Heck, you’re one of them. But we’re not even friends. You… you don’t even know me. I know you because you’re Damelo. Everyone at the dance studio knows who you are. You are an all-around freestyle dancer. Ballet, hip-hop, jazz, classical, etc.

This bit of dialogue, particularly the last bit in bold, felt like it existed largely for the audience's benefit. Why would Arii tell Damelo what kind of dancer he was, given that it's something both of them are aware of? She wouldn't, probably. You've only put it in to inform the reader. And the trouble with that is that it makes me feel addressed, which pulls me out of the story. I want to feel like I'm watching the scene unfold like a fly on the wall. The characters shouldn't say anything that they wouldn't say if I wasn't there.

So keep that in mind. It's really difficult to integrate exposition in a way that doesn't feel obvious, but it can be done. If you deleted the bit of bold, the rest of the conversation would still make it clear that Damelo was a more advanced dancer than Arii. Trust in the reader to infer details.

I think that's probably enough critiques to be getting on with, and I want to end on a positive note, because I did enjoy this tremendously. It's curious that Damelo actually wanted Ari to be his partner, and I can't help but wonder why. My guess is that he's got a crush on her or something, but I sort of hope that's not the case. You've done a great job at keeping me guessing and uncertain through this first part, so I'd like you to keep surprising me. The romance route would feel too obvious. Still, we'll see how it plays out.

I'll try and review the next bit as well. Looking forward to reading it!

Keep writing! :D
~Pan

Dest says...

Hello Pan,

Thanks so much for the review and letting me know your thoughts! I like to subvert some things, but I'm still cliche when it comes to love, sorry. ^^

I have never written twin characters before, so I'll try to be mindful of adding more personality in my next batch of edits

I'm usually wordy, so I tried a choppy style this time. I will edit it again for clarity and structure. Huge thanks for pointing out the info dump Arii gives about Damelo's dance ability. Sometimes when you're in a writing frenzy, you don't realize you're babying the readers. ^^;

"You know, sometimes all you need is twenty seconds of just embarrassing bravery. And I promise you, something great will come of it."
— We Bought A Zoo