z

Young Writers Society



Magitech: Tales of Vlora

by Derek


[pre]Magitech

Tales of Vlora

Chapter 1

Vlora

Vlora raced down the large chrome corridor, avoiding crowds of civilians, knocking them over as she passed. Bullets zooming past her body hit many civilians sending them to the ground. She made a sharp turn to the corner on her right dodging a barrage of bullets. What awaited her around the corner surprised her, 10 soldiers stood in her way. She heard footsteps fading away. The men who were following her must have fled.

“Don’t fire until I give the signal,” said an armed soldier who stood with his men.

Her mind filled with thoughts, emotions. Was it fear, excitement, lust for blood? Vlora knew what it was; the will to survive. Vlora quickly put her left hand over her right wrist. A gem glowed in her hand and symbol appeared above her wrist. The symbol spun around in a circle, faster and faster. A bright light emitted from the symbol, she moved her hand forward down her hamd and into the air. A pistol appeared in her hand. She wrapped her hands around the silver gun and smirked.

“Fire at will men!”

Dozens of bullets flew at her. Taking notice she quickly put her left hand in front of her. The same symbol from before was like shield in front of her. Bullets smashed into it, causeing no harm to the shield or Vlora.

“Now I will show you the true power of Magitech!” Vlora screamed.

“You, go!” The general yelled at one of the soldiers. He charged Vlora with full force. A lust gleamed in her eyes, she was ready to kill. She quickly bent down and put the gun on the ground. Quickly she swiped her hands over both her feet. Symbols appeared on the souls of her shoes. Quickly she jumped into a back flip, as soon as her feet lined up with the ceiling she clung to it like a magnet. The soldier who was advancing toward her was now directly below her.

She had managed to grab the gun before clinging to the ceiling; she now had the pistol pointed right at the soldier from above. She fired three shots threw the man’s skull. Blood spilled from the spots of impact and the man fell to the ground.She jumped from the ceiling, landing on her hands and she rolled into a crouch. Standing up with the gun in her hand she spoke.

“Who is next?”

"Everyone attack at will!” the general said as he and the remaining 8 men charged her.

Vlora ran for the dark grey metal wall on the left side of the corridor. She placed her left hand on it creating a large symbol on the wall. The symbol spun with great furry and glowed red, Vlora took her hand off the symbol and backed away from the charging men. The soldiers were inches from the symbol on the wall, suddenly the symbol on the wall exploded with great force. The first few soldiers were blown back knocking down the others in the process.

Vlora stood on the other side of the explosion, her long brown hair blowing from the force of the explosion. The soldiers looked up to see her on the edge of the exploded wall. She waved and smiled as she dived out of the hole. The soldiers quickly stood up and looked out the new hole in the wall. Vlora was seen falling at least fifty stories into the street below. Vlora swiped her hands across her feet once again and forced herself to the side of the building.

Careful to not lose momentum she ran the side of the building. Windows smashing seconds after she stepped on them, glass falling to the street below her. Nearly to the bottom she jumped from the building and landed in the concrete alleyway below. She ran down the alleyway and out of the soldier’s sight.

Chapter 2

Shields

Coming Soon…..I Hope[/pre]


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
70 Reviews


Points: 580
Reviews: 70

Donate
Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:07 pm
Derek says...



Just wanted everyone to know the first 3 chapters will be titled
1: Vlora
2: Shields
3: Zeroun
thease are the main characters and its kind of an intro to them
after thease chapter info will start flooding out and everything will become clearer
just be patient and wait XD
Thank You




User avatar
12 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 12

Donate
Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:49 pm
Louisa Clack wrote a review...



Hi, really really liked this. I wrote a beginning chapter similar to this ags but nver developed on it.
I like the action that you can dive straight into and I genuinely couldnt stop reading it!

However, be careful on your grammar. Read through and check, you need to place a few question marks in places.

Also, when the general shouts everyon fire at at will, it doesnt sounds very realistic. Try and change that?

Keep it up, can't wait to read more.

By the way, love your avatar, Paramore rule!!!

Louisa

x




User avatar
245 Reviews


Points: 1836
Reviews: 245

Donate
Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:36 pm
Firearris wrote a review...



Hello Derek! This is much better than the last one. ;) This is an interesting story idea, can't wait for chapter two! Anyways, here are my comments:



body hit many civilians send them hurtling
Either put 'Sending' or put 'and' before 'send'. Also, are the soldiers carrying Cannons? If those people are hurtling, then those are some powerful guns! 0.o

“Don’t fire until I give the signal,”
Put this a line down.

[quote thoughts, emotions. [/quote] You don't need the coma, just put the word 'and'.

excitement, lust for blood.
Before the word 'lust' put the word 'or'. Also, put the Question mark instead of a period.

Vlora knew what it was; the will to survive is was she felt.
You should change this sentence, try something like: Vlora knew what she felt: the need to survive.

A gem glowed in her hand and symbol appeared above her wrist.
You should tell the reader more about this symbol, like what it looks like; but no info dumps!

Bullets smashed into it, cause no harm to the shield or Vlora.
maybe: And caused no harm to the shield or Vlora. OR: causing no harm to the shield or Vlora.

She fired three shots threw the man’s head.
This sentence makes no sense.

Standing up with the gun in her hand she said
She spoke.

“Who is next”
This is a question, so put a Question Mark.

"Everyone attack at will”
put a period, or exclamation mark.

and back away from the charging men.
backed away from the charging men.

exploded with create force.
Did you mean 'great'?

50
you should put the word for it; fifty.

stores
stories

glass falling to the street below her.
wouldn't some of the glass fall on her too?

soldier’s
If the thing belongs to the soldiers, (the sight) and if there are more than one of them, then it is: soldiers'.


The rest is good. This sounds like a REALLY great story idea and like I said above, I can't wait for chapter two. Another thing to work on it description; what do the characters look like? What does the building look like? The soldiers? Anyways, make these simple changes, and you have something great here!

Good luck, and when you post chapter two, PM me to let me know!


Firearris




User avatar
33 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 33

Donate
Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:11 pm
khfan890 wrote a review...



Well, Derek, I was scrolling down through here and I noticed the words Magitech, and I was like, "Holy cow, somebody stole the idea Derek was telling me about!" And then I realized who it was lol. Anyway, here's some things I noticed for the most part.

Btw, I loved Vlora. You know how I like female warriors.

.“Don’t fire until I give the signal,” said an armed soldier who stood with his men.


This is the first thing I noticed, besides grammar errors which I can tell you if you need me to in person. I thought the man giving the orders was on her side and it wasn't clear until later that he wasn't. Maybe clear that up somehow by saying, "Don't fire until I give the signal," said an armed soldier who stood across from her with his men, prepared to gun her down at a moment's notice.

Or something like that.

Taking notice she quickly put her left hand in front of her.


Another user told you to just say she raised her hand. I'm not sure, but I think you might want the reader to know it was her left hand. Maybe say something like "Taking notice, she quickly raised her left hand in front of her face (or body, whichever you prefer)."

Ok, I don't have time to critique more because my internet is slow, but I do like the story.




User avatar
922 Reviews


Points: 42011
Reviews: 922

Donate
Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:48 am
GryphonFledgling wrote a review...



I agree with Majestic Fantasist up there. Your character is ultra-cool commando babe with magic powers, but we really don't know what she is thinking. Who is telling this story? Vlora? If so, tell us what she is thinking. Does she think that these guys are really easy to kill? Does she mourn them at all? Is she sorry for the civilians who are dying instead of her?

Where is this taking place? Is it a building? Is it outside? Where outside? Use the landscape to your advantage. You have what is shaping up to be a great fight scene, but it could be better. Is there any cover? Is this a full-out shoot-em-up, or is there any cover that snipers could be hiding behind and that are posing a threat? Can she get up above them by climbing on something?

Why are they chasing her? What has she done? Even if you don't want to give it all away yet, maybe hint at it. Let's pretend she stole something. Have her blow someone's head off, then feel in the pouch at her belt to make sure that something is still there. You don't have to tell the reader what it is: "She touched her belt. Good, the pouch was still there." That's all the reader needs. It's a little tidbit that softens them up for the feast. It makes them want to keep reading, to find out what happens.

Anyway, great action sequence. It was a little empty though. Flesh it out with thoughts and actions. Make it a little longer, maybe stretch out the descriptions of some of the actions. Pull us in.

Good luck,

~GryphonFledgling




User avatar
13 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 13

Donate
Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:44 pm
Majestic Fantasist wrote a review...



Hi there!
=D

I like where you are going with this, and it seems like it will be a very exciting story! I just hope you plan on explaining more of whats going on in chapters to come.

I would suggest that you add more feeling to your character. I couldn't really tell if it was supposed to be from her point of view or not! explain what she is thinking and give her more life! No ones mind is completely blank, especially when they're in combat!
Just add more to show that your character is human! Even if she has magic powers she is still going to think a little more.

Its hard to explain because I'm not sure what your going to do with this character. But I hope I was at least kind of helpful!

see you later!




User avatar
370 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 370

Donate
Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:56 pm
Aedomir wrote a review...



Hello! Nice to meet you...

civilians send them hurtling


sending

barrage of bullets


you've already used bullets, although tis a cool phrase...

Was it fear, excitement, lust for blood.


where's the question mark ?????????

is was she felt.


firstly, I think you mean what not was and secondly, just chop it off, unecessary!

put her left hand in front of her.


....... just say she raised her hand!

cause no harm to the shield or Vlora.


caus[s]e[/s]ing

with create force


doesn't make sense, just take it off

building. Windows smashing


semicolon not fullstop

OK, I'm not sure what to make of this. It alls seems a bit predictable. Whenver she gets a problem, she makes a symbol appear and she wins... ther'e no dire, oh-no-shes-going-to-die type of moments.

I like the writing, just clean up on the grammar problems. Try making it a bit less... symboly (?)

Keep writing though, I would like to see some more!

Mark





they got that magical iridescence that you don't expect to be on a sky rat y'know
— Ari11